HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux the only Flyers Allstar

Old
01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
So who isn't? Buff, Edm, Fla, NYI, NJD?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
So who isn't? Buff, Edm, Fla, NYI, NJD?
Represented in the game?

The Oilers have Hemsky and the Devils have Elias in the main game.

The Sabres, Panthers, Isles and Coyotes have no one in the main game, but all have rookies in the skills competition.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I would bet that the Flyers who were being considered talked it over and decided that Giroux should be their representative. Timonen wants rest, Richards doesn’t seem like he cares (not in a bad way), Carter probably feels the same, Pronger needs to recover, and Briere’s been there (they all have). They don’t really strike me as a group of guys who really give a **** about being in the all-star game, and they probably figure that they’d want a young guy who hasn’t been there (Giroux) to get a shot.

All that being said, it’s ridiculous – for reasons that have been pointed out – that the Flyers have only 1 representative.
Which is exactly why they're so friggin' good.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

meh, I really dont care. its the allstar game.
Luongo didnt make it, the Wings only have Lidstrom there. no big deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Garbage Goal

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Keep in mind that some star palyers, via their GMs, quietly tell league not to pick them....

In the case of Zetterberg,yes my educated guess is that Wings quietly led league know not to take him.... same would apply for a few others

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Weird.

Quennville is the coach for one team; he was awarded the position for the Hawks winning the Cup last season.

The other team will be coached by Lavi & Vigneault, the coaches of the teams currently in first place in their respective conferences.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
jb**

More nhl bias from the league lol.

Just like this hit to the head thing as flyers have had more stars concussed with hits to the head that altered their careers. The nhl did nothing and turned the other cheek. The player and organization sucked it up. Now the head whiner doesn’t feel the league is doing enough now that he had his bell wrong. Where was he last year or this year when players were getting hit? He didn’t say a friggin word. His own teammate crushed someone ,yet not a word from buckktooth. He is the golden child, the voice yet didn’t say a peep. He is such a fraud. Guess it is ok to hi ta guy in the bolos. How much are they going to protect him now? You wont be able to get within 2 feet without getting a penalty called against.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
chaosof99*

Here's how I would have implemented the All-Star game selection: You take 2 hockey commentators unaffiliated with any team, e.g. Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger, and you make them GMs of respective All-Star teams. They then get to draft players and coaches, preferably in a snake-draft format. E.g. who starts is decided by coin-flip. The person who won then chooses a category from Forwards, Defensemen, Goalies, Coaches and makes his first selection. The other person then has two selections from that same category, then the first guy has two and so on. Once the category is filled for each respective team (13 forwards, or 7 defensemen, 3 goalies, 3 coaches), the other guy gets to choose the next category and make his first selection. And so on.

Available players and coaches is from the entirety of the NHL. Now that would be interesting IMHO.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

How the **** did Tavares not make it?

28 points on the 29th ranked team? Bull ****.

And I don't think Tavares would turn it down unless he's secretly hurt. On a non-playoff team and young, wanting to make a name for yourself. No other reason I could see him turning it down, if he did.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Keep in mind that some star palyers, via their GMs, quietly tell league not to pick them....

In the case of Zetterberg,yes my educated guess is that Wings quietly led league know not to take him.... same would apply for a few others
That's ridiculous if our players DIDNT want to be a part of the allstar game...the sport is for the fans and such they should - i mean cindy continues to go year after year. Thing is, I highly doubt players on our team (with the exception of Pronger and Timonen who are/have been banged up) would turn down the opportunity - especially Carter since he had to be an alternate last year.

My guess is that unless the Flyers can play against Crosby in their NHL role as villain, the NHL could care less in advocating the goon-ridden flyer team (sarcasm)

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
chaosof99*

We know for a fact that Briere wanted to be in the all-star game. This was repeatedly stated by Sam Carchidi on twitter.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
That's ridiculous if our players DIDNT want to be a part of the allstar game...the sport is for the fans and such they should - i mean cindy continues to go year after year. Thing is, I highly doubt players on our team (with the exception of Pronger and Timonen who are/have been banged up) would turn down the opportunity - especially Carter since he had to be an alternate last year.

My guess is that unless the Flyers can play against Crosby in their NHL role as villain, the NHL could care less in advocating the goon-ridden flyer team (sarcasm)
If they would rather rest or heal I'm all for it. All Star game doesn't mean jack. Lifting the Cup over your head does.

And remember, a lot of times NHL players play hurt, even without us or their doctors knowing. So rest is a good thing.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Don't care. More rest for our first place team, who are picking up games in hand again.

The NHL is loaded with talent. To make the all-star game "fair" and still have representation from every team, they would have to make 30+ man all-star rosters...and benches aren't usually that big.
Exactly, it's irrelevant.

I don't think I've watched the ASG for years...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Meh I am fine with it. Everyone else has been there before, gives him a chance. No need to get angry over an all star game

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
How the **** did Tavares not make it?

28 points on the 29th ranked team? Bull ****.

And I don't think Tavares would turn it down unless he's secretly hurt. On a non-playoff team and young, wanting to make a name for yourself. No other reason I could see him turning it down, if he did.
I am sure he will be on the short list if Crosby cant go to go to the game

Old
01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I'd rather have them rest but Briere should be an all-star. I think he's 4th or 5th in ES scoring.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1049
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...ar-game-picks/

Quote:
Briere said his suspension earlier this season (two games for a stick to the face of the Islanders’ Frans Nielsen) may have played a role in him not making it.

“I’m not surprised that I was bypassed, obviously with what happened with the suspension and Colin Campbell being involved,” Briere told reporters. “What I’m a little surprised is that we don’t have more than just one player. There’s no doubt that Claude was deserving, but with our record I thought we probably could have had at least another one.”

Briere denied an Internet report that he had asked to not be included, saying it would have been an honor.

Giroux had been asked about the All-Star Game as far back as November, when Canadian media members wanted to talk to the budding superstar about his hot start. On Monday he didn’t know what to say about the possibility of being an All-Star.

“You only dream of that as a kid, and I never thought it would be possible,” he told reporters Tuesday morning, adding he was surprised he was the only one. “I’m feeling pretty lucky to be there.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

I'm glad, the ASG is beyond gay. It's always awkward watching a Flyer in a game with no hitting or defence whatsoever. The ASG along with the NHL awards are great for highlighting the disconnect between the league's brass and its fan base. There's always some high cringe factor lurking about. (This year it's wearing a cape) I will say, I really do look forward to Ron McLean's annual Bettman Interview on CBC.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
MsWoof

I'm glad I'll be away from my tv and laptop for a good part of that weekend. What a ****ing sham. Stanley Cup finalists and eastern conference leaders and only 1 guy makes it? It should be Briere but whatever, it's for marginal fans to begin with so the league can stuff it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

the suspension was probably the number 1 reason Briere didnt make it.

Old
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Teezax

This only gives Briere more reason to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
mm6492

Our players get rest, have a small chip on there shoulder, and we get to see Giroux play with the best.

Yes, we should have had more then one IMO, but its not terrible for the team.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Eyes on the prize.
Playing on the last weekend in January is meaningless compared to playing on the first weekend in June.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Eyes on the prize.
Playing on the last weekend in January is meaningless compared to playing on the first weekend in June.
For the record, this belief is hypocritical to the details over your avatar.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Meganuck*

2 Things here:
1) ASG is a joke. Flyers players atleast get some rest.

2) This may piss off the team and keep them motivated. Kessel being there is an insult.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote