HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Union's 2011 season will start in Houston on March 19 and their home opening is the following Saturday the 26th against Vancouver.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
IrishSniper87

So, the Union passed on the opportunity to get Juan Pablo Angel.

Between the expansion draft and re-allocation draft, the Union also lost

Chris Seitz
Alejandro Moreno
Fred
Shea Salinas

and so far this offseason have only brought in Brian Carroll (via trade, sent allocation money and a 2nd round draft pick).

They can't announce the Mondragon signing (if it is indeed true) until the transfer window opens.

No other rumors right now regarding possible new players, but I will keep everyone updated.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:34 PM
UseYourAllusion

Seitz and Fred were awful and I didn't like Moreno much either. Good riddance.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Seitz and Fred were awful and I didn't like Moreno much either. Good riddance.
The Seitz thing was weird. They didn't protect him at first, then they did when Shea Salinas was taken, then they didn't offer him a new contract and he was re-drafted to Seattle.

Whatever, the only loss was Salinas so far. We could use another striker to play with Mwanga and just JacMac as the 60-minute substitution but I doubt the Union really make a splash.

The problem is the Union can really use upgrades everywhere.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:38 AM
IrishSniper87

Anyone else watch the Arsenal-Chelsea game yesterday?

I checked it out on ESPN 3, it's on demand. What a game. I'm really starting to enjoy watching soccer. I blame it on the Union and the FIFA series.

Old
12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Rumors on the internet point to two more big moves for the Union this offseason.

As previously discussed, it is firmly believed the former Colombian National Team Keeper Faryd Mondragon (39yo) will be joining the Union this offseason from FC Koln.

In addition, sources indicate Colombian National CB Carlos Valdes will be moving to Philadelphia as well. Valdes could realistically be our new top CB after leaving Club Santa Fe (only 25 years old and Captain of his former squad). Valdes has 4 appearances with the Colombian National Team.

Other reports indicate the Union are also after Striker Ei­ur Gu­johnsen from Stoke City. He has played in Totteham as recently as the spring of this year and has fallen out of favor in the EPL as age has caught up with him. Gu­johnsen appeared in 186 games for Chelsea between 2000-2006 scoring 54 goals while also spending time with Barcelona and Bolton among others.

If all three of these deals were to take place, the Union would look like a completely different team for 2010.

Possible lineup for next year?

- - - Mwanga - Gu­johnsen - - -
Mapp - - - - - - - - - - - - Le Toux
- - - - Okugo - - - Carroll - - - -
Harvey - Califf - Valdez - Williams
- - - - - - - Mondragon - - - - - - -

With quite a decent bench

Possibly

Forwards
Jac Mac

Midfielders
Torres
Noone
Miglioanzi
Nakazawa
Jacobson
Zimmerman

Defenders
Orozco Fiscal
Stahl
Harvey
Arrieta
Gonzalez

Keepers
Knighton

However some of these signings could shake up the roster a bit as the Union might look to dump hefty contracts like Orozco Fiscal that would likely be bench warmers otherwise.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Anyone else watch the Arsenal-Chelsea game yesterday?

I checked it out on ESPN 3, it's on demand. What a game. I'm really starting to enjoy watching soccer. I blame it on the Union and the FIFA series.
Yea I watched it Chelsea got killed their D was non existent in the first half and beginning on the second half. Also in case you didn't know Theo Walcott is one of the fastest players in the world. But Terry and Ivanovic killed Chelsea defensively. Drogba had an amazing free kick.

Old
12-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Start Leighton*

The Union with that roster can compete for the championship.

Old
12-29-2010, 10:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
Yea I watched it Chelsea got killed their D was non existent in the first half and beginning on the second half. Also in case you didn't know Theo Walcott is one of the fastest players in the world. But Terry and Ivanovic killed Chelsea defensively. Drogba had an amazing free kick.
Yeah, Walcott is fast. I dont get to watch many EPL games, but I like Arsenal a lot so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
The Union with that roster can compete for the championship.
If the Union can secure Mondragon for the keeper spot, Carlos Valdes as our new top CB and Gu­johnsen to pair with Mwanga up top while still letting Le Toux run around as he sees fit, this team could win a lot of games next year.

It's soccer 101, upgrade Keeper, Centerback and Forward as quality guys in those spots directly lead to goals, either by scoring some or by letting in fewer. Midfield is all about possession and setting up plays.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:44 AM
IrishSniper87

Well, Gudjohnsen was transferred to Swansea City, a team in the 2nd tier of English football looking to promote to the Premiership this season. So scratch him off the Union shortlist.

I fear that the Union will not grab a striker and that they will go with just Mwanga, Le Toux and JacMac at Striker this season.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Well, Gudjohnsen was transferred to Swansea City, a team in the 2nd tier of English football looking to promote to the Premiership this season. So scratch him off the Union shortlist.

I fear that the Union will not grab a striker and that they will go with just Mwanga, Le Toux and JacMac at Striker this season.
Probably draft Corey Hertzog too. I have no qualms with a young 3-striker group.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Probably draft Corey Hertzog too. I have no qualms with a young 3-striker group.
I kinda agree, but with the nature of MLS (promising young players could likely pursue transfer overseas), I think they should just nab some good DP's and try to win more this season.

Building for the future works if we can keep our stars. If Mwanga starts playing lights out and wants to play in England, we are in deep trouble if our young stars leave.

Until MLS is a legit contender on the world stage, I would like the see the Union get more serious about upgrading RIGHT NOW, considering Mwanga could be gone sooner rather then later, especially if he starts playing well.

Old
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
I kinda agree, but with the nature of MLS (promising young players could likely pursue transfer overseas), I think they should just nab some good DP's and try to win more this season.

Building for the future works if we can keep our stars. If Mwanga starts playing lights out and wants to play in England, we are in deep trouble if our young stars leave.

Until MLS is a legit contender on the world stage, I would like the see the Union get more serious about upgrading RIGHT NOW, considering Mwanga could be gone sooner rather then later, especially if he starts playing well.
Thats why we draft Hertzog and thats why we drafted JackMac before. Once Mwanga gets to the point where he gets legitimate offers from Europe one of the other 2 should be a legitimate starter and after Mwanga leaves they work their way to the star-point and the other becomes a legit starter. I think that is kind of Nowaks plan. Try and build a cycle of players where you have a guy ascending and a guy on his way to europe. Now the first 2 years will suck till you get the cycle rolling but once you do hopefully you can be a factory.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Thats why we draft Hertzog and thats why we drafted JackMac before. Once Mwanga gets to the point where he gets legitimate offers from Europe one of the other 2 should be a legitimate starter and after Mwanga leaves they work their way to the star-point and the other becomes a legit starter. I think that is kind of Nowaks plan. Try and build a cycle of players where you have a guy ascending and a guy on his way to europe. Now the first 2 years will suck till you get the cycle rolling but once you do hopefully you can be a factory.
I guess. I suppose it could be worse. I have no problem drafting Hertzog and staying young, but I don't know how long I can watch the Union get lit up before I start to lose a bit of interest, you know?

It would be nice if they gave us the impression that they WANT to win at least.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
I guess. I suppose it could be worse. I have no problem drafting Hertzog and staying young, but I don't know how long I can watch the Union get lit up before I start to lose a bit of interest, you know?

It would be nice if they gave us the impression that they WANT to win at least.
You can be young and win and you can be a factory and win. You just have to establish the base. The MLS isnt the NHL. You can have success with a young team that you later sell off pieces as you go. You just need to keep the base solid. Defense and goalie. If you can keep those parts stable you can be a forward/mid factory and still have success.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
You can be young and win and you can be a factory and win. You just have to establish the base. The MLS isnt the NHL. You can have success with a young team that you later sell off pieces as you go. You just need to keep the base solid. Defense and goalie. If you can keep those parts stable you can be a forward/mid factory and still have success.
Well, our "base" isn't exactly solid.

If they complete the rumored Mondragon deal, that's a quality keeper for 2 years (he is 39, so I dont expect much). Grabbing Valdez on loan would be nice though. He could really shore things up for us on the backend.

Old
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
KevinLin

The Mondragen and Valdez things are happening. I think with an experience keeper the back line looks much better. I dont think Seitz or Knightnton were very good at organizing things.

Old
01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Wondering if the Mintal rumors will pan out. He would be a much better option than Gudjohnsen.

One thing is clear, Nowak and the Union have been making a serious effort to improve the squad. Aside from the keeper situation (which they've apparently remedied) I love the way they've handled things to this point.

Old
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
Wondering if the Mintal rumors will pan out. He would be a much better option than Gudjohnsen.

One thing is clear, Nowak and the Union have been making a serious effort to improve the squad. Aside from the keeper situation (which they've apparently remedied) I love the way they've handled things to this point.
Yeah, I don't care what position they draft either, as long as they pick the best player available.

Grabbing Valdez, Mondragon and Mintal would make this offseason a HUGE improvement and would make this team go from troubled expansion to possible contender if they can avoid injury.

Even if they grabbed some old internationals, the rest of the team is still mostly young, especially since they lost Fred, Moreno and likely will lose Coudet as well.

I've been watching some EPL games lately since I enjoyed the Union games so much, and teams like Arsenal are a ton of fun to watch. Hopefully MLS keeps improving and catches up to the EPL a bit more. I can't wait for my first Union game in person.

Also, I might be going to England next August. I am def interested in getting EPL tickets if my schedule will allow me.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
IrishSniper87

Union unveil partnership with Bimbo Bakeries as the jersey sponsor.

The logo looks ..... dumb.

Would have preferred if they made the Bimbo logo just white font or something. This looks silly.

This is a 4-year deal worth $3mill per for the Union. Guess it's time to speculate on a DP signing? Mondragon is supposed done and ready to be announced on the 15th, when the transfer window for North America opens. However, it is speculated he wouldn't be making DP money.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
agrudez*

I didn't even realize that my favorite bread brand (Arnold) was made by a company named Bimbo.

I also didn't realize that the people who ran the Union were retarded enough to think that having the word "Bimbo" printed across the chest of their jersey would increase merchandising sales.

As if soccer fans in this area weren't ridiculed enough, wearing that jersey would be suicide in any middle or high school.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I didn't even realize that my favorite bread brand (Arnold) was made by a company named Bimbo.

I also didn't realize that the people who ran the Union were retarded enough to think that having the word "Bimbo" printed across the chest of their jersey would increase merchandising sales.

As if soccer fans in this area weren't ridiculed enough, wearing that jersey would be suicide in any middle or high school.
They just got handed $12 mill to put the logo on front. Jersey sales are a secondary concern. Hopefully they slightly modify the logo to make it look more in line with the rest of the jersey.

Old
01-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Glad i got my Union jersey before this.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
CantSeeColors

Even I can tell that the color scheme is retarded.

Old
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
In no lifetime would I ever willingly wear something with 'BIMBO' pasted on my chest.

Closed Thread