HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Nashville Pursue Iginla?

Old
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
As much as Sullivan is a fan favorite he's up there in age. I love Jarome but I would rather have Parise. There was an idea for a Weber- for Parise trade and I would do it. Suter is the best defenseman of the team and to improve the offense I would sacrifice Weber and put Klein up with Suter and then bring up Blum with Ellis in Milwaukee.

Financially, I would also pay 6 million to Parise over 7 million of Iglina.

To me, Ward, Sullivan, and Belak are gone for next year. Svatos will have to show something to come back. SOB is gone replaced by Blum and Sulzer and Laakso are gone simply because of the depth.

Pay raises to O'Reilly (If he is not traded), SK, Spaling, Klasen.

Lombardi as a wild card and we are in a situation where we might have too many top 6 style guys again.

SK-Lombardi-Hornqvist
Wilson-O'Reilly-Erat
Legwand-Goc-Dumont
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo

A goal scorer would be much appreciated with this group.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

regarding iginla, I don't think the price is as high as what you think it is. I think the package would be what the thrashers got for kovalchuk or less, even, given no one knows how much hockey iginla had left. so I think a first round pick, watson, and a roster player or two like an o'reilly/klein/bouillon could get it done. not too far off compasison to bergfors, cormier, oduya, and the first atlanta recieved

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Looking at HF's eval of the prospect depth Calgary needs a first line forward depth and offensive defenseman.

We got the offensive defenseman in spades but not the first line forward depth. (Unless you consider Klasen..... I know a stretch).

Nashville has the resources to make a deal but not the cap space under the mid-point unless money goes to Calgary.

Old
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Milly79

Would I like to add Iggy, definitely. At his price, not really especially if we don't have the room. I think he'd be a great fit for Nashville. He'd add some more butts in the seats, and he is a VERY humble guy. He does a ton of charity work for an organization my father and I have been supporting, and he always comes up to me and asks how I'm doing when he makes the trip to Nashville. I think it'd be a great move if he weren't so expensive.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Financially, it might just be Iggy for Sully, Tootoo, and Ward. Those three players is 6.5 million. Might just be a good thing for Tootoo to move him closer to home. (If there was a Winnipeg team I would consider them.) I could build a team with

Wilson-Lombardi-Iggy
SK-Goc-Erat
Hornqvist-Legwand-Dumont
Spaling-Smithson-?
? ?

The scoring depth is insane but a lot of grit is gone from this team. Also what Milwaukee players would you plug into the question marks? Klasen? Halischuk? Thuresson?

Old
01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Ward is an expiring contract, so there's no need to trade him.

The whole point of Sullivan's possible departure should be for the team to get younger. Substantially younger. I would rather throw $6M at Semin or $4M at Fleischmann on a long-term contract than put down $7M a year on an aging Iginla.
Nashville does not need to get any younger. They lack too much experience as it is.

Iginla is only 33 and will be 35 when his current contract expires. He's scored 35 points in 41 games with 16 goals- on that Calgary team.

Semin will not sign here.

Iginla is still an elite scorer. He's expensive, but not the risk that Sullivan is.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I never said to move Spaling, Ward, or Wilson. I said that it doesn't appear that Wilson or Spaling (Klasen or Lindback for the matter) are going to qualify for their potential bonuses. That is $1.3mil in cap hit we gain back unless the kids suddenly explode in the next few weeks.

From the deadline through the end of the season, Iginla would be about a $1.5mil hit for us. Short term, it's doable. Longterm it gets costly in both his salary and the players we would have to give up.
I'm not sure where from my post I said move Spaling and Wilson... I'm only referring to the original trade proposal...

It may be doable, but it isn't realistic. It would be cutting it way to close. Zero margin for error. If Dumont would waive his NTC and we find a taker then all our problems would be over

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The Preds definitely need a marquee player. And his veteran leadership will help come playoff time!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
regarding iginla, I don't think the price is as high as what you think it is. I think the package would be what the thrashers got for kovalchuk or less, even, given no one knows how much hockey iginla had left. so I think a first round pick, watson, and a roster player or two like an o'reilly/klein/bouillon could get it done. not too far off compasison to bergfors, cormier, oduya, and the first atlanta recieved
Depending on CAP/Revenue sharing issues, I am sold

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Id rather have a younger player, Iggy is still a good player but id rather have a player who has a lot more years left. And idk if this is the time to make a trade for a player as old as Iggy unless your a team thats going for a true cup run. Which I hope we do but idk if I see it happening. Plus id rather trade whatever valuable assets we were to give up for him for someone else who would be here longer.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:22 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Pass. 7mil for a guy entering the "Arnott" period of his career.... not a good risk..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Pass. 7mil for a guy entering the "Arnott" period of his career.... not a good risk..
I understand what you're saying, but it's a little unfair make any comparison between Iginla and Arnott.

It's an admitted risk.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I understand what you're saying, but it's a little unfair make any comparison between Iginla and Arnott.

It's an admitted risk.
wasnt necessarily directly comparing them just pointing out that the decline Arnott suffered from 33 to 35 was dramatic. If the same thing or even a milder decline happens to Ignlia we would have paid superstar money AND morgtgaged the future for someone who would end up being merely good not a superstar.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
wasnt necessarily directly comparing them just pointing out that the decline Arnott suffered from 33 to 35 was dramatic. If the same thing or even a milder decline happens to Ignlia we would have paid superstar money AND morgtgaged the future for someone who would end up being merely good not a superstar.
This is exactly my concern.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Model T

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
How much hockey does he have left? A lot. More than you're guessing, based on the fact that you bring it up. He's in excellent shape and as committed to maintaining himself physically as anyone in the league. I expect him to stay useful until his late 30s. This is rare for power forwards, but not impossible- see Keith Tkachuk as an example.

I don't think the price would be cheaper than Kovalchuk, because Kovalchuk is lazy and bad defensively, whereas Iginla is a consummate professional who wants to help his team however he can on every night. He is one of the top character guys in the league. He is probably behind Kovalchuk on pure offensive talent, but he's better at virtually everything else.

There's also the issue that he is the face of the Flames and quite possibly a future HoFer, and moving him out will have a big cost to the team in terms of public relations and marketing revenues. From the selling side they've got to get a return that compensates them from that angle as well.
(Out of curiosity, anybody want to speculate what would bringing in a big name like Iginla would do for the Predators in terms of interest/finances? What did it do when they brought in Kariya and Forsberg in the past?)

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:52 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
How much hockey does he have left? A lot. More than you're guessing, based on the fact that you bring it up. He's in excellent shape and as committed to maintaining himself physically as anyone in the league. I expect him to stay useful until his late 30s. This is rare for power forwards, but not impossible- see Keith Tkachuk as an example.

I don't think the price would be cheaper than Kovalchuk, because Kovalchuk is lazy and bad defensively, whereas Iginla is a consummate professional who wants to help his team however he can on every night. He is one of the top character guys in the league. He is probably behind Kovalchuk on pure offensive talent, but he's better at virtually everything else.

There's also the issue that he is the face of the Flames and quite possibly a future HoFer, and moving him out will have a big cost to the team in terms of public relations and marketing revenues. From the selling side they've got to get a return that compensates them from that angle as well.
(Out of curiosity, anybody want to speculate what would bringing in a big name like Iginla would do for the Predators in terms of interest/finances? What did it do when they brought in Kariya and Forsberg in the past?)
you bring up tkachuk in his waning years. what did his last five years look like, and how much was he making? wasn't 7 million bucks for his, in order, 43 (7.6 mil), 15 (3.8), 58 (3.5), 49 (4.5), 32 (2.1) points.

and you compare what iginla brings to that?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
melfunction

This proposal might be feasible in terms of what Calgary "needs" or "should do". But not necessarily on what they "will do".

Jay Feaster says that the Flames aren't interested in going down the rebuilding route, and aren't going to trade Jarome. Jarome has said he's not going anywhere.

I really don't think the Flames management is willing to take a few rebuilding years, some losing seasons, to get the team back on track (unfortunately). Jarome Iginla is without a doubt the most famous and most loved person in this city. And the Flames are trying to build a new stadium, fast. Which will cost millions upon millions of dollars.

From a standpoint of what is a good, long-term plan for the Flames, this might not be such a bad idea. But from a business standpoint, I really don't think the Flames are willing to look "big picture" or "in the long run", and trading away the hometown hero will certainly damage sales in the present.

melfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfunction View Post
This proposal might be feasible in terms of what Calgary "needs" or "should do". But not necessarily on what they "will do".

Jay Feaster says that the Flames aren't interested in going down the rebuilding route, and aren't going to trade Jarome. Jarome has said he's not going anywhere.

I really don't think the Flames management is willing to take a few rebuilding years, some losing seasons, to get the team back on track (unfortunately). Jarome Iginla is without a doubt the most famous and most loved person in this city. And the Flames are trying to build a new stadium, fast. Which will cost millions upon millions of dollars.

From a standpoint of what is a good, long-term plan for the Flames, this might not be such a bad idea. But from a business standpoint, I really don't think the Flames are willing to look "big picture" or "in the long run", and trading away the hometown hero will certainly damage sales in the present.
Thanks for that view point. I will also say I think that kind of thinking is good news to the rest of the western conference.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
melfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
Thanks for that view point. I will also say I think that kind of thinking is good news to the rest of the western conference.
Haha, yeah it just might be.

I'm split on how I feel about it. I'm a Preds fan first, but I do love the Flames, and I'd like to see them win another cup. I'm young and patient. I can wait through rebuilding. But on the other hand I do acknowledge the fact that my city desperately needs a new stadium. Not even just from a hockey standpoint (sorry to get slightly off topic here), but many big name music tours pass us by because of acoustic and structural issues of the 'dome. So if staying the course and hanging on to the fan favourite is how the Flames can afford that ... well I kind of support that option too! Haha!

I have to say though, I'd be one of the least heartbroken Calgarians if Iggy went to Nashville ... because I already watch almost every Preds game anyway

melfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What would be the cost of trading for Iggy?

Well, I say you take a look at the Kovy trade and it would be about equal:

Kovalchuk
defenceman Anssi Salmela
Swap of 2nds

defenceman Johnny Oduya,
rookie forward Niclas Bergfors
junior prospect Patrice Cormier
first round selection

Let's take Anssi out of it in place of the three more years of Iggy. So the cost would a young defensive defenseman. A scoring wing. and a prospect checking center.

At minimum, Calgary wants a 1st, top forward prospect, and a salary dump but I think Nashville would have to give more.

As for the cost financially, if Iggy was traded AT the trade deadline they would need to have $1,542,994 in cap space or salary going back to Calgary. Not really a big deal since the Preds have 750,000 in cap and ton of cash in uncashed rookie bonuses and players at 1 million to trade.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Kovalchuk
defenceman Anssi Salmela
Swap of 2nds

defenceman Johnny Oduya,
first round selection

Let's take Anssi out of it in place of the three more years of Iggy. So the cost would a young defensive defenseman. A scoring wing. and a prospect checking center.

At minimum, Calgary wants a 1st, top forward prospect, and a salary dump but I think Nashville would have to give more.

As for the cost financially, if Iggy was traded AT the trade deadline they would need to have $1,542,994 in cap space or salary going back to Calgary. Not really a big deal since the Preds have 750,000 in cap and ton of cash in uncashed rookie bonuses and players at 1 million to trade.
Figured this had died out.

Did I get your gears turning BFC?

The Predators could definitely do it. There's no question that financially it's feasible.

The questions are whether Calgary (and Jarome) want to trade with Nashville and whether Poile considers it a risk worth pursuing.

Then there's still the question of running out of offensive or two-way centers to man the three scoring lines that ultimately result in bringing another scoring forward onto roster presumably fully healthy except for Lombardi, O'Reilly and Tootoo. Wilson is certainly an option, but is it the right option?

Old
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Kovalchuk
defenceman Anssi Salmela
Swap of 2nds

defenceman Johnny Oduya,
first round selection

Iggy would fit in here. Seems like a Trotzian kind of guy.

To NSH
Iggy
3rd round

To Calgary
Nashville's first
Nashville's 2nd
J.P. Dumont
Jonathan Blum or Ryan Ellis
Chet Pickard

Roman Yoshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Figured this had died out.

Did I get your gears turning BFC?
Dude, Iggy is my binky. Of course you got my gears turning. I see this as finding a vet replacement for Sullivan.

Sully + Ward + Tootoo = Iggy's salary. Sully and Ward are UFAs and Tootoo would be the salary that would pay for Iggy for the rest of this year.

Iggy's offensive presence would take pressure off the Sk line. If the expected rev. share/cap bump is 3 million, Weber is paid for and the spare cash goes to RFAs.

The only way this moves is if this is healthy for Tootoo and his recovery. Another factor is Ryan Blum. Right now, I can't see him making the NHL in Nashville. He's a very good prospect but frankly the depth in Nashville is too great.

I would like to make a move for a wing where you can move Tootoo, Blum, picks, and maybe one more prospect. The second question is the center situation.

Right now Legwand, Spaling, and Smithson are under contract. O'Reilly will be healthy next year and Goc is a UFA. There is so many factors with this:

Will Lombardi healthy? Will Goc over price himself? Is O'Reilly the future?

The logic states that the Preds need to make a move to get a center but Iggy seems a good fit too.

Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Dude, Iggy is my binky. Of course you got my gears turning. I see this as finding a vet replacement for Sullivan.

Sully + Ward + Tootoo = Iggy's salary. Sully and Ward are UFAs and Tootoo would be the salary that would pay for Iggy for the rest of this year.

Iggy's offensive presence would take pressure off the Sk line. If the expected rev. share/cap bump is 3 million, Weber is paid for and the spare cash goes to RFAs.

The only way this moves is if this is healthy for Tootoo and his recovery. Another factor is Ryan Blum. Right now, I can't see him making the NHL in Nashville. He's a very good prospect but frankly the depth in Nashville is too great.

I would like to make a move for a wing where you can move Tootoo, Blum, picks, and maybe one more prospect. The second question is the center situation.

Right now Legwand, Spaling, and Smithson are under contract. O'Reilly will be healthy next year and Goc is a UFA. There is so many factors with this:

Will Lombardi healthy? Will Goc over price himself? Is O'Reilly the future?

The logic states that the Preds need to make a move to get a center but Iggy seems a good fit too.
Since you later mention trading Blum (instead of Ryan Ellis), I'm assuming you are referring to Jonathon Blum not having a spot where I first bolded. If the Predators consider Ellis or Josi ready and they/Calgary prefer Blum, that's fine.

As for the second part I bolded, the Predators could certainly make a move for another center. Assuming it's a pendiing UFA brought in, then I would presume only one of Goc, O'Reilly, and the new center makes the team next season unless Lombardi does not return allowing a second to be re-upped- essentially giving Poile lots of options for next season. If a non-rental is brought in, that will be interesting.

Iginla fits for so many reasons. His age makes him a risk, but not a huge one. His salary makes him a larger risk only if he rapidly declines during those two years. There's really been no sign of that occurring to this point however (in my opinion). If he plays up to his normal standards, his salary really isn't an issue provided SK74, Goc, O'Reilly, etc. aren't looking for $3 million each next season.

I don't think Poile even considers this if Iginla comes available. It's certainly not typical for him anyway.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:59 PM
cleangene

In one word...YES.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote