HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal, Lundqvist & Stepan (Rooks) All Stars

Old
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I thought the teams would be picked privately and then announce the teams. I don't think they would pick one by one in public so people don't find out who's picked last. I wouldn't want to be embarrassed like that in public if I was one of them.
They're being picked to be all-stars, not play in a beer league.

I'm sure any serious pro would rather be the "last" all-star chosen, then the first of everyone else who wasn't selected.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
PBC9400

Good to see some home grown Rangers making something of their career...Love seeing the lineup these days and the line earlier in the year when it was clicking with Dubinsky, Anisimov and Callahan...good thing to see, finally becoming what Rangers fans wanted which is a team with some true home grown talent.

Right now, replace Eminger with DZ and our top six dmen are all home grown (Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Gilroy, Mcdonagh and Del Zotto)...and they are a pretty effective group.

Dubinskey, Stepan, Anisimov Callahan could all end up with 15-20 goals this year and add Zuccarello to that mix. They are all home grown guys either drafted or signed playing their first games with NYR... Good to see...

Not to mention the guys waiting in the wings...Valentenko, Grachev (maybe took a step back but I heard he has been coming on) and then Kreider etc...should be fun to watch!

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Lot of missing names; Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Pronger, Richards, St Louis, Lucic, Semin, that are all probably equally or more deserving than Dubi.

A lot of goalies are playing great hockey this year. Hank got in part on reputation and year to year consistency.
Was pretty sure St. Louis was picked...

Datsyuk is on the LTIR. I don't think anyone on the Capitals is deserving. Ovie is there because the NHL couldn't hold the all-star game without him. Not sure why Green is, especially over someone like Jack Johnson this year. I don't know if I would ever say Lucic is more deserving than Dubi.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I don't have too much of a problem with the All-Star selections, as I understand why they were made, but the fan voting is just embarrassing. 4 Penguins and 2 Blackhawks? Really guys? Only Crosby and Letang are truly deserving out of those 6.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

AWESOME for Staal. I know it's gimmicky, but it's great to see him get recognized even though I thought even yesterday that he wouldn't.

It'd be a joke if Hank wasn't in the game, too. Great for Step as well.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I don't have too much of a problem with the All-Star selections, as I understand why they were made, but the fan voting is just embarrassing. 4 Penguins and 2 Blackhawks? Really guys? Only Crosby and Letang are truly deserving out of those 6.
I agree. Take fan voting out entirely. The rest of the list is a hell of a lot better than what the fans would have put together.

Here's a breakdown by team and position that I put together:

PIT - 4 (F Crosby, Malkin) (D Letang) (G Fleury)
CHI- 4 (F Toews, Kane, Sharp) (D Keith)
VAN - 3 (F H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Kesler)
NYR - 3 (D Staal) (G Lundqvist) (rookie Stepan)
ANA - 3 (F Perry) (G Hiller) (rookie Fowler)
EDM - 3 (F Hemsky)(rookies Hall, Eberle)
WSH - 2 (F Ovechkin) (D Green)
COL - 2 (F Duchene)(rookie Shattenkirk)
DAL - 2 (F Eriksson, Richards)
TBL - 2 (F St. Louis, Stamkos)
SJS - 2 (D Boyle) (rookie Couture)
ATL - 2 (D Byfuglien, Enstrom)
BOS - 2 (D Chara) (rookie Seguin)
CAR - 2 (F Staal) (rookie Skinner)
STL - 1 (F Backes)
NJD - 1 (F Elias)
PHI - 1 (F Giroux)
CGY - 1 (F Iginla)
TOR - 1 (F Kessel)
LAK - 1 (F Kopitar)
CBJ - 1 (F Nash)
MIN - 1 (D Burns)
OTT - 1 (D Karlsson)
DET - 1 (D Lidstrom)
NSH - 1 (D Weber)
MON - 1 (G Price)
FLA - 1 (rookie Dadonov)
PHX - 1 (rookie Ekman-Larsson)
BUF - 1 (rookie Ennis)
NYI - 1 (rookie Grabner)

Great that Henrik finally got recognition and it'll be REAAALL interesting to see when he gets picked. I definitely think he'll get picked in the top 3 goalies. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked 1st among goalies.

I have no idea where Staal gets picked. Maybe Crosby will want Staal on his team...

Does anyone know what the Rookie Superskills competition entails this year? Can't wait for Stepan to make a splash.

Too bad Gaborik was injured so much this season...

A few notes about other teams:
•After all that stupid fan voting Montreal ends up with only 1 All-Star. Justice!
•Devils - NO Kovalchuk (obviously) or Parise (injury) or Brodeur! Patrick Elias carrying the torch! I have Elias as the last picked forward.
•Philly only Claude Giroux? Glad Giroux made it though. One of my favorite players in the league.
•San Jose no Thornton or Heatley.
•Detroit only Lidstrom. Why is Zetterberg not playing again? Oh yeah because Ales Hemsky needed his spot.
•LA has to feel disappointed that Quick just missed the cut.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
If you want to better your chances of winning you pick M.Staal for your blue line to shut down opposing forwards since that's what got him to the all star game in the first place.

I dont know if I like this picking of players. Good thing Staal wont have to go up against any of his own teammates that he could accidentally collide with. He could be facing Henrik but the chances of him injuring Henrik are very low.
Hah, Staal still isn't going to play that much defense in the all-star game. He has good puck skills so we'll probably see him jumping up and doing some stickhandling and stuff. He's good enough to do that kind of stuff in a game like the all-star game. Interested to see what he does in the skills competition though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTolliver View Post
According to NHL Staal>Doughty...
I haven't watched Doughty play this year but apparently he's playing pretty poorly? Staal might very well be playing better overall than Doughty this year

I think hockey people (GM's, analysts, sports writers) are taking notice of how good Staal can be and how effective he is without being a huge point scoring defenseman, which I think is why he was selected this year. There's a lot of talk lately about how he and Girardi are one of the best shut down pairings in the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
A lot of goalies are playing great hockey this year. Hank got in part on reputation and year to year consistency.
His stats are worthy of being an all-star this year and yeah his rep plays a part as well...people know he's a huge part of any Rangers success.

Just hope he doesn't get hurt!

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Henrik has some of the best stats in the league for a goalie. Top 5 definitely.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Well, let's start the discussion of who will be the last overall pick!

I'm torn between Kessel and Elias.
I vote Elias. Kessel can at least score, once in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I haven't watched Doughty play this year but apparently he's playing pretty poorly? Staal might very well be playing better overall than Doughty this year

I think hockey people (GM's, analysts, sports writers) are taking notice of how good Staal can be and how effective he is without being a huge point scoring defenseman, which I think is why he was selected this year. There's a lot of talk lately about how he and Girardi are one of the best shut down pairings in the league
Weren't there some people saying at the beginning of the season that Girardi is overpayed and shouldn't be a first pairing d-man? Glad that's worked out being 13th in TOI/G...

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Henrik has some of the best stats in the league for a goalie. Top 5 definitely.
Also, the players know how hard it is to beat him, more so than any of the fans. I think he goes top-2 definitely.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
I vote Elias. Kessel can at least score, once in a while

Weren't there some people saying at the beginning of the season that Girardi is overpayed and shouldn't be a first pairing d-man? Glad that's worked out being 13th in TOI/G...
I didn't think he should be a 1st pairing defenseman, but he basically has corrected all the flaws in his game that I noticed from previous seasons. He's so much more consistent and effect this year than previous ones. He took a step forward

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
i musta voted for gabby Duby Cally Staal Girardi and Hank like 130 times at least. nice to see 2 of em make it. although they werent fan voted.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
I really wish Sid & Geno would be captains .... I'd love to see them go against each other.

There are restrictions on how the picks are made. Like you have to pick all positions by a certain round & stuff.

They also said they were gonna ask the top 6 who they thought should be captains
There are no restrictions. Also, NHL Ops is asking EACH representative who they think should be captain.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Mason530

Hoping none of them was selected. Wasted of time, wasted of energy. I rather they get rested and focus on 2nd half.

I rather win a cup than NYR players get selected for all stars.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
DaveLozo Dave Lozo
Marc Staal doesn't want to play with Eric Staal at the All-Star Game: "I couldn't even handle being on his team. He's too mouthy."
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
All-Star Marc Staal says he prefers to play against brother Eric, rather than be picked to play on his squad. "Too mouthy," he quips
Quote:
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Marc Staal jokes brother Eric "too mouthy," doesn't want to play with him in All-Star Game. Can't remember last time they played together.

Last edited by Wraparounds: 01-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
lol gold

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Marc Staal jokes brother Eric "too mouthy," doesn't want to play with him in All-Star Game. Can't remember last time they played together.
Well that ruins any dream of Eric ever joining the Rangers since Marc doesnt want to play with him

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
Does anyone know what the Rookie Superskills competition entails this year? Can't wait for Stepan to make a splash.
All it means is that six of those rookies will join one team for the skills competition, and the other six will join the other team, and just be used in the same skills contests they've had every other year (skating, accuracy, breakaway, etc).

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Well that ruins any dream of Eric ever joining the Rangers since Marc doesnt want to play with him
Eric will sign a bargain deal with the Rangers as an UFA with the sole purpose being to spite Marc.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Fataldogg

Eh. I like Staal. A LOT. But he didn't deserve to make it.

Henrik deserved to be there.

Who else did? This guy named Brandon Dubinsky who carried the team on his back offensively in the absence of Gaborik. He continues to produce and leads the team in points.

And if a defense man from our team deserved to make it... Honestly... Girardi has had a better year.

I don't see how Staal made it when there were more deserving players on the team.

None the less, I love seeing two players represent the Rangers are the all star game.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
truebluegoalie

Even though the NHL is asking the players who should be captain, I think we all know the NHL is going to pick Crosby and Ovechkin.

hope I am wrong though.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Very surprised Philly only has Giroux in the game. I was expecting them to have Carter, Richards, and Pronger too.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Would be classy if the players chose Staal and Ward to be captains.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Very surprised Philly only has Giroux in the game. I was expecting them to have Carter, Richards, and Pronger too.
I think a decent # of players, probably around 5 or 6, asked out of the game due to injury/rest. Zetterberg has all but been confirmed to have been one.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Would be classy if the players chose Staal and Ward to be captains.
I would think Staal will certainly be one. Hockey Ops is asking all the players for their input and will then make a decision. After the Winter Classic and 24/7, I would imagine that the league would be prescient enough to realize that fans might be sick of Sid and Ovie all the time.