HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dale Weise

Old
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Yes, 7 games in, now let's give up. The guy doesn't yet know the first names of half his teammates.

How about we let him relax, get his game adjusted to the NHL, improve a little. The kid performed well in lower level hockey. I can't imagine that someone scoring 50+ points in the AHL would be completely without skill. And from what I saw, he can skate, he can shoot and he can make the breakout pass.

If we let him mature, the kid can be a solid player.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:06 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yes, 7 games in, now let's give up. The guy doesn't yet know the first names of half his teammates.

How about we let him relax, get his game adjusted to the NHL, improve a little. The kid performed well in lower level hockey. I can't imagine that someone scoring 50+ points in the AHL would be completely without skill. And from what I saw, he can skate, he can shoot and he can make the breakout pass.

This.

I don't know? Should he be a ppg player, knocking guys out with one punch to be noticeable?? For a 4th liner with limited minutes he's looked ok for the most part. I rather have a 22 yr old that put up 28 goals last year than some non-physical AHL fodder in his current role with the Rangers.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Yes but why not give someone else a shot to be a filler and be significant
Well lets say Grachev was playing well in Hartford (hypothetically), I could see the Rangers wanting to leave him in Hartford and continue to log significant minutes as opposed to calling him up and asking him to skate 6-8 minutes a night on our 4th line... Now if we had a spot open up on our 2nd or 3rd line, and a player like Grachev was playing well, then certainly you would call him up to fill that role...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
trilobyte

I just think he is being an appropriate chance to make his mark. It's up to him, really. If he plays well, great.

I didn't notice him tonight, at all. Other games, he has played a better game. Then again, the entire team was mediocre tonight.

trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Wow a hockey player that can skate shoot and pass? We got a gem on our hands here. You think every prospect is going to pan out and it's just not the case. Not saying this guy won't but right now I don't see anything to get all excited about.

I think 7 games is a pretty good look and we didn't see ****.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think he'll be a fine fourth line mucker in time.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He's been pretty ineffective, but in time, he'll be a decent 4th liner. May not be on this team, but he can be an NHLer.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Icetime is earned not given. Even more true with Torts as the coach.
I never said he should just be given more. I'm just saying, it's tough to show much of anything when you're playing 5 minutes a game with some of our least productive players.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Wow a hockey player that can skate shoot and pass? We got a gem on our hands here. You think every prospect is going to pan out and it's just not the case. Not saying this guy won't but right now I don't see anything to get all excited about.

Have you actually read any of my posts? Like... any of them? Probably 9 times out of 10 I am accused of being overly negative.

I've actually started several threads that argued that prospects are always overrated because a great prospect is someone who is projected to be an average NHLer, but fans assume that great prospect = great NHLer.

Just the other day, I was writing that people are being ridiculous in preferring a 20-year-old rookie over a 28-year old vet even in the short term because they discount experience and pretend that "potential" actually means that a player will be good right now.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Have you actually read any of my posts? Like... any of them? Probably 9 times out of 10 I am accused of being overly negative.

I've actually started several threads that argued that prospects are always overrated because a great prospect is someone who is projected to be an average NHLer, but fans assume that great prospect = great NHLer.

Just the other day, I was writing that people are being ridiculous in preferring a 20-year-old rookie over a 28-year old vet even in the short term because they discount experience and pretend that "potential" actually means that a player will be good right now.
Yeah, you definitely tend towards the "realistic projection" camp. You don't at all overrate prospects.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:57 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

He said he thought Weise could use another handful of games before the professional couch scouts start determining his NHL future. It's valid to say he hasn't done anything bad and with the injuries we have it's not a bad thing to give him a few more games. Of course after 7 games him having not done a single thing it's also valid to say let him go back to AHL and see if another guy has a more immediate impact.

Of course it is just the 4th line we're calling them up to. I think he's actually been semi noticeable the last game or two. He doesn't seem to really skate around and hit people though as much as I thought he would.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
The Mouth

Only a ranger fan can size up a rookies entire career in the NHL after 8 games of limited ice time from a couch.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Have you looked at the guy's ice time?

6:34 vs MTL
7:45 vs STL
2:53 vs DAL
3:09 vs CAR
4:04 vs FLA
6:49 vs TBL
exactly, everyone needs to chilax

Weise could turn into a good 3rd/4th liner.No rush. When Cally is back Weise is down but he atleast is getting a turn when injuries occur.

I did'nt think he was a big fighter but it seems as though he is playing that role because they dont have Boogie

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Yes but why not give someone else a shot to be a filler and be significant
Couldnt agree more.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
NYRangers77

[QUOTE=Rangerdanger20;30149360]Dale Weise 7gp 0g 0a even+/- 14 pim and 5:25 min/g

First off I'm not going on a rant here because we lost, I've wanted to mention it since the game against the canes. Maybe my expectations are flawed or I'm just plain wrong which by all means if I am correct me but this kid has done nothing through 7 games has he not? 2 fights he won neither, or at least didn't clearly win either of them nor were either of them game changing like the fights prust gets into.

He clearly won the carcillo fight to me. He kinda scored a big goal in that game but it was waived off.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Orr Nightmare

[QUOTE=NYRangers77;30157228]
Quote:
Dale Weise 7gp 0g 0a even+/- 14 pim and 5:25 min/g

First off I'm not going on a rant here because we lost, I've wanted to mention it since the game against the canes. Maybe my expectations are flawed or I'm just plain wrong which by all means if I am correct me but this kid has done nothing through 7 games has he not? 2 fights he won neither, or at least didn't clearly win either of them nor were either of them game changing like the fights prust gets into.

He clearly won the carcillo fight to me. He kinda scored a big goal in that game but it was waived off.
Let's trade for Ray Whitney!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

He's been fine. 4th liner playing 5 minutes per game, 7 games into his NHL career. What the hell were you expecting? The next Iginla?

Weise busts his ass, plays with an edge, and will play whatever role is asked of him. That's exactly the kind of guy I want on the 4th line, and I think he has a future there with this team in that spot.

I thought he and Avery generated a lot of chances last night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

[QUOTE=Orr Nightmare;30158093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post

Let's trade for Ray Whitney!
Right

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Orr Nightmare

[QUOTE=Rangerdanger20;30159700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Right
How about Steve Sullivan

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't know what anyone is expecting from Weise anyways. If he "pans out" and reaches his full potential, he'll be Brandon Prust. We love Prust, but let's be real, Prust is a clear cut bottom-six banger with a little upside who can kill penalties, stand up for teammates, etc. He's never going to be a 15+ goal scorer or anything. To me, Weise's absolute ceiling would be to turn into another Prust. If he falls a little short of that mark, he'll be a solid 4th line grinder, which is almost exactly what he projects as anyways. People expecting more... don't know what to tell you. He's supposed to be a two-way grinding bottom-six forward.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
eco's bones

WTF? Really. Brandon Dubinsky's first call up was for 6 games. 0 points. The next year he made the team out of training camp. Weise is still a kid. Cut him some slack.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Only a ranger fan can size up a rookies entire career in the NHL after 8 games of limited ice time from a couch.
7 actually...

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I don't know what anyone is expecting from Weise anyways. If he "pans out" and reaches his full potential, he'll be Brandon Prust. We love Prust, but let's be real, Prust is a clear cut bottom-six banger with a little upside who can kill penalties, stand up for teammates, etc.

Guys like Prust, Weise, Werek, Boyle, Zucca, Bourque, Hagelin, Sauer, Valentenko, etc is the reason I am advocating that the Rangers should be drafting high-risk, high-return prospects this summer.

Without all these guys, you can't go for guys like Stepan, Kreider and Thomas (as they were on their draft day.)

You can't just role the dice on some high school kid or someone who's small-but-gifted or someone who's a long term project.

But if you have good role players, then you can go for the home run instead of a bunt.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree. I want to see us draft high-risk high-reward europeans this draft, especially in the later rounds instead of overagers.

Without looking at any statistics or anything i'd wager we have one of the better bottom 6's in the league.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Edge

I may be in the minority here, but I've been pretty consistent in my belief that I never thought he was anything special. Fourth liner at best, more likely a fill-in type.

Not much has happened to change my opinion.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote