HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs-Rags: 2-1 Habs hang on to win

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Final shots on goal.

Habs 38 - Rangers 26
That trend has been very consistent even throughout our holiday road losing skid. The stats pointed to us deserving much better than a 1-6 road stint. Habs offensive zone possession and shots on goal have been there. They've just run into bad luck and now they're starting to find themselves on the winning end again. I haven't checked the official stats, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts the Habs rank close to first on least shots against average. You can give Martin's system credit for that.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
When JM's system works , as tonight (or in last year's playoffs) it's very impressive. Boring, but impressive. Imagine what the Habs might do with a.) a healthy Markov and b.) an engaged Cammy.
I agree. It's a playing style that is frustrating even for us so I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for the opposite team players and fans... At least we have the win at the end...

Old
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
That trend has been very consistent even throughout our holiday road losing skid. The stats pointed to us deserving much better than a 1-6 road stint. Habs offensive zone possession and shots on goal have been there. They've just run into bad luck and now they're starting to find themselves on the winning end again. I haven't checked the official stats, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts the Habs rank close to first on least shots against average. You can give Martin's system credit for that.
I've actually been constantly surprised that we've led in this category so many times recently. I don't know if it's just the result of being too focused on my team and critical of their play, but it doesn't, I don't know, 'look' like we get that many shots.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosti46 View Post
Its better to be lucky than good at times. We were lucky tonight. Our first goal was very lucky. Poolie's goal was lucky. The Rangers also hit at least two pipes but we will take the win.

Poolie, Darche, Gio, Gomez, Pac, Spacek, PK and Auld all looked good.
And yet we outshot them 38-26 and cleaned up in the faceoff circle. All that with our rarely used backup goalie vs their starter in their home rink.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Final shots on goal.

Habs 38 - Rangers 26
It feels so weird to outshoot opponents at the rate we have this year

we've been outshot as a team since as far back as i can remember, and i mean the 90's!

Old
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I haven't checked the official stats, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts the Habs rank close to first on least shots against average. You can give Martin's system credit for that.
11th. The Devils, oddly, are first.

But more importantly, they're also 7th in shots for, which results in a really yummy positive shot differential. In other words, they're carrying the play -- and more elaborate micros paint a very nice picture.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I've actually been constantly surprised that we've led in this category so many times recently. I don't know if it's just the result of being too focused on my team and critical of their play, but it doesn't, I don't know, 'look' like we get that many shots.
As per NHL.com stats Habs rank 7th in the league in shots on goal. 11th on shots allowed.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Habs

just wondering if the bandwagon is back ?

Old
01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

But more importantly, they're also 7th in shots for, which results in a really yummy positive shot differential. In other words, they're carrying the play -- and more elaborate micros paint a very nice picture.
Apparently, we had the same idea

Old
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

we've been outshot as a team since as far back as i can remember, and i mean the 90's!
We may be outshooting opponents, but what I'd like to see are the scoring chances stats. I don't see them being very high.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
As per NHL.com stats Habs rank 7th in the league in shots on goal. 11th on shots allowed.
11th fewest?

Old
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
11th fewest?
Yes. The system is keeping them down.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
We may be outshooting opponents, but what I'd like to see are the scoring chances stats. I don't see them being very high.
All shots are scoring chances. Haven't you seen some of the doozies that have been going in

Old
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
The system the Habs are playing dictate the scoring chances against are also low as the Habs take away the high percentage scoring areas. They are notorious these days for collapsing down low to take away the slot. For the most part they're pretty good at cleaning up in front of the net.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
just wondering if the bandwagon is back ?
They're still really annoying to watch, I can only handle boring hockey in playoffs

Old
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
They're still really annoying to watch, I can only handle boring hockey in playoffs
I'm a fan of winning hockey to be quite honest especially when there is structure to the way they're playing. What I do find boring are 6-5 games with porous defense and bad goaltending.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Gally11

Quote:

7th shots for.... 27th goals per game lol.. third ga per game though.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm a fan of winning hockey to be quite honest especially when there is structure to the way they're playing. What I do find boring are 6-5 games with porous defense and bad goaltending.
While I think the Habs need to learn when to take risks - it's not always a bad thing, I don't understand the envy for teams like Washington and Tampa. They are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
If your not cheating your not trying. Benny has been playing real well since DD has been called up
lol thats weird cuz i dont remember seeing benny anywhere near the first goal??

i thought it was fairly obvious spacek weakly put it on net, and that darche provided a great screen , and if ANYTHING it might of hit darches skate before going in, and on the replay from behind the net i thought more lundquist helped put it in himself, im gonna have to look next time to see what benny rly did lol

Old
01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
They're actually very good, the Habs commonly outchance their opponents. December was an abomination of bad luck, the Habs deserved much better.

The shots do tend to be a decent proxy for number of chances, though. The two may not line up for one game, but over time it tends to even up. The correlation gets better if you do splits (more special teams shots are chances than 5-on-5) and if you also include missed shots.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
lol thats weird cuz i dont remember seeing benny anywhere near the first goal??

i thought it was fairly obvious spacek weakly put it on net, and that darche provided a great screen , and if ANYTHING it might of hit darches skate before going in, and on the replay from behind the net i thought more lundquist helped put it in himself, im gonna have to look next time to see what benny rly did lol
Benny was driving the net from the front to get to any rebound, and being benny, fell. At first i thought he was the one to knock it in. I think the interference or distraction of pouliot was what might have helped king henrick screw up.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
7th shots for.... 27th goals per game lol..
Just rotten shooting luck. But this is the kind of thing that tends to naturally fix itself.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Benny was driving the net from the front to get to any rebound, and being benny, fell. At first i thought he was the one to knock it in. I think the interference or distraction of pouliot was what might have helped king henrick screw up.
Benny is the next Cory Perry?

Old
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:

But Martin is the worst coach in NHL history for some fans here.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Just rotten shooting luck. But this is the kind of thing that tends to naturally fix itself.
Ya, and it's important to note that although we may be 27th for Goals, we're 3rd for GA.
11th for goal differential is quite good, especially compared to last year.

Closed Thread