HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Cup

Old
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
ApeZilla

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
The Cup

Obviously as any sports fan would I clearly want my team to win a championship every year. However, this year I really want a cup for the actual team. These players. In a few years this team is going to look quite different and I can't see myself loving the team much more than I do right now.

anyone else?

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
They're really good, and consistently good which makes me like them.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I agree. THIS team deserves a championship. I've never felt a bigger connection with any other Flyers team

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, this is a really likable team if that's what you mean. Just a wide array of character and talent that brings it every night due to terrific coaching.

Although,

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The funny thing is, that i just want one cup, right now. Hell i could wait another 20 years until the flyers even have a chance at the next one. But for the flyers to get a cup right now would be the greatest thing ever. I don't think i could ever die a happy man without seeing the flyers win the cup. (i hope the dieing part is at least 60 years away)

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I want the Flyers to win a Cup every season. End of story. These players are great and I love them, but next season and ten years from now they will be different (for the most part) and I will love them just as much and want them to win just as much.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
zarley zelepukin

I think i "wanted" it for the 03-04 team more than any other group, because there were a lot of veterans with maybe their last good chance, in some cases going for their first Cup. But, DrinkFightFlyers said it, I want them to win in every year and you tend to warm up to the players that play for your favorite team.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
= ours.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
phillyflu

I like some of these players but I don't love this team. I'll always root for the crest on the sweater, but I haven't "loved" a team since the 2003-04 squad. That team had a place in my heart.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
BernieParent

This year's team lost a huge amount of character with Laperriere all but retired and career Flyer Gagne shipped out for nothing + nothing, and bringing in Shelley was another black mark. Bob over Leighton is a plus, though.

In terms of winning attitude, though, this team has blown away last year's roller coaster. They survived December and the start of January without the standard meltdown, and tonight was a great example of them not giving up on a game.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This year's team lost a huge amount of character with Laperriere all but retired and career Flyer Gagne shipped out for nothing + nothing, and bringing in Shelley was another black mark. Bob over Leighton is a plus, though.
Agreed on Lappy & Gagne. Probably my two favorite players from last year's team gone. Would have wanted them to have been first in line to carry the cup.

I do like this year's team... maybe not as much as 03-04 though. I just find Richards to be kind of boring whereas I wanted Primeau to succeed SO badly. Add in guys like Danny Markov, Recchi, Kim Johnsson, etc. etc.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:21 AM
flyers1kak*

bouch has to realize this is going to be one of the last chances he has at a cup. if he can play this way and the team plays like they have been all season, i think we have a better chance than any team. i'll take one flyers cup over 10 consecutive eagles and phillies championships any day. WE WANT THE CUP!

flyers1kak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would give anything to see a boosh and bob tandem win us the cup. I've always had great admiration for Boosh. Last year, even when he played lights out, the team couldn't score more than a goal a game, and his stats took a nose dive because of it. The team was regularly churning out 1-0, 2-1, 2-0 losses in the november slump, where boosh was facing up to 35-40 shots a game.

Maybe this is his last chance at it all. After coming so close last year, the flyers must be seriously ready to go this year. I don't think lavy is going to let them sit on their heels. This is the year.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Win it for Lapperriere! No one sacrificed more for this team last year.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:06 AM
chaosof99*

I want the team to win the Cup every year. But yeah, this year could be especially nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Win it for Lapperriere! No one sacrificed more for this team last year.
Do you think the NHL would make an injury exception for Lappy so he could name his on the Cup if the Flyers were indeed to win it this year?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Do you think the NHL would make an injury exception for Lappy so he could name his on the Cup if the Flyers were indeed to win it this year?
The team could request it but since he didn't play a single game it would be pretty unorthodox.

You can petition the league to have a name on the Cup due to injury or what they call "extenuating circumstances" but I can't see the team doing that for a player that A) lied about an injury and B) didn't play a single game.

In addition, I can't see Bettman wanting to reward a player that purposefully didn't follow the guidelines set forth to mitigate a very sensitive issue for the league.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The team could request it but since he didn't play a single game it would be pretty unorthodox.

You can petition the league to have a name on the Cup due to injury or what they call "extenuating circumstances" but I can't see the team doing that for a player that A) lied about an injury and B) didn't play a single game.

In addition, I can't see Bettman wanting to reward a player that purposefully didn't follow the guidelines set forth to mitigate a very sensitive issue for the league.
Am I understanding you correctly, Valhoun, that you believe Bettman would be upset that Laperriere tried to soldier through a serious head injury after taking a slap shot to the face? I find that to be pretty ridiculous to consider that the Little General would expect all players to voluntarily excuse themselves from the game, especially an all-guts guy like Laperriere, who is also in the late autumn of his career.

Sure, if the Flyers petitioned to include the name of a player who was suspended for the playoffs after committing a flagrant offense, I'd see where Bettman would come down hard. But Laperriere should be a positive example of laying it all out to win the Cup.

When the roster expands for the playoffs, I'd love to see them suit up Laperriere and let his skates touch the ice near the end of a couple of blow outs, either way, just to say he was part of this team and fully deserving of any team accolades.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Am I understanding you correctly, Valhoun, that you believe Bettman would be upset that Laperriere tried to soldier through a serious head injury after taking a slap shot to the face? I find that to be pretty ridiculous to consider that the Little General would expect all players to voluntarily excuse themselves from the game, especially an all-guts guy like Laperriere, who is also in the late autumn of his career.

Sure, if the Flyers petitioned to include the name of a player who was suspended for the playoffs after committing a flagrant offense, I'd see where Bettman would come down hard. But Laperriere should be a positive example of laying it all out to win the Cup.

When the roster expands for the playoffs, I'd love to see them suit up Laperriere and let his skates touch the ice near the end of a couple of blow outs, either way, just to say he was part of this team and fully deserving of any team accolades.
I am sure that Bettman is upset that players aren't taking new policies seriously. More than anything, he wants to protect the sport. He absolutely does not want the NHL to get mired in more concussion drama. I am actually shocked that you'd think Bettman would view this from anything other than a business standpoint. He's not even a hockey fan. Why the **** would he care about seeing a player soldier on? He cares about the PR of the concussion issue.

And it's just naive to think that the team would waste a roster spot in the playoffs to have an injured player skate three shifts in a blowout.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
MountainHawk

This team has a different feel that past good Flyers teams. This teams seems to know they are going to win games, and even if they get down 2-0 like last night, they just keep playing their game.

I loved Gagne, but I think we might have a very special mix of players on this team right now ... it's exciting.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
jethro flyer

As was said it all about confidence. Last year we get down 2 goals that early in a game and your thinking to yourself not this again, this year you sitting their thinking down two goals in the first... not even worried. You know as soon as this team decides to play they will take over the game.

jethro flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

Goalie.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote