HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I think I figured out the Benoit Brunet thing

Old
01-12-2011, 05:45 AM
LeMAD

vCash: 500
Weber is from Morges in Romande Switzerland, so he probably comes from a french speaking family.

I don't know how he pronouces his name, but that's most probably not the english way.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:02 AM
katatoniak

Pierre Houde ask the players how they want to pronounce their names. Vokown, Veber, Guillaume, Maxim, Mathieu ...

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

surely not all of them. D'agostini prefers D'aygostini to dagastini. yet he always called him the latter.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Pierre Houde ask the players how they want to pronounce their names. Vokown, Veber, Guillaume, Maxim, Mathieu ...
Well, yeah, he asks them how they say their names, and IMO, it's just to respect them. Do you think everything should be said the english way ?? I don't.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:31 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
It's funny because almost everyone on the RDS crew calls him like that (Tremblay, Bouchard, Therrien, Brunet, Houde etc.)

You often hear le jeune hellaire too

While all the other young players are only called by their last name (Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Desharnais and Pouliot)
sad part is, the only one saying it right is Brunet... it shouldnt be pronounced Ell-air but Ell-eur , just like Benny pronounce it...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Don't forget le Jeune Volski.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
sad part is, the only one saying it right is Brunet... it shouldnt be pronounced Ell-air but Ell-eur , just like Benny pronounce it...
L'harceleur

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Well, yeah, he asks them how they say their names, and IMO, it's just to respect them. Do you think everything should be said the english way ?? I don't.
agreed about the respect thing, and not only that... it's nice to see someone put a little effort to do things the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
L'harceleur
Yeah, too bad he doesnt take a 10th of a sec to breathe between first and last name

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
I love the french language, it's amazing, complicated ... sometimes it's like listening to a harp caught in the summer wind ... other times ... like constipation

But Benoit Brunet today said something that I had to research

I had never heard anyone ever say '' Une Treizaine '' ( he says it right after the Pouliot goal )

I mean douzaine, quanzaine ... but treizane ? WTF ... would he say that, their was about a 9 minute interval ( not counting period interruption ( between the 1st and Second goal ...

But treizaine ?

(XVI e siècle) Trezeine (Randle Cotgrave)

I finally traced it back to 16th century french :

Il y eut une trezene[sic] de maraux qui se disoient estre les nouveaux apostres, et adoroient un galand de leur trouppe, nommé Guillaume Hacquet, comme s’il eust esté Jesus-Christ.

Just saying ... I think Benoit Brunet is a master linguist
Forget the sily jokes that appear here. The 16th century bit was interesting, because that's when French settlers first arrived in Québec and something was streaming into Brunet's consciousness.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Peacock

I honestly have found him to be better this year. A lot better.

That's not to say he's good, but he's been better. I can successfully ignore him if I want to.

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
a cunning linguist?
A master debater?

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Not The One

II wonder how many posters here pay this much attention to anglo commenters and analysts' pronunciation, vocabulary and diction. Here Houde and Bunet are bashed for pronouncing names the correct way, while anglo announcers have butchered franco names fo ever. How hard is is to say Roy and not Waaaaah?

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:31 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
If I was a psychologist, I would probably diagnose the Habs board with an OCD related to RDS bashing, French speaking player bashing and Benoît Brunet bashing.

Read carefully board, you'll recognize yourself :
Ah, now I get why you accused me of being a francophone hater... you play that card wherever you go!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:06 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Brunet makes simple basic commentary because that's what 95% of fans are: on a basic level. Obviously he doesn't appeal to HF, because everyone here is a hockey nut. But to the common viewer, he does the job. People pay way too much attention to him.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:37 AM
ClasslessGuy

Ok good place to talk about that.

why do they say Andrei Kostitsyn like it it André ? ei in his name is not suppose to be pronounce like the sound aye in french?

Same thing with Sergei last year it was Sergé or even Serge

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
you realise that most of us are francophones right? Or are you implying we're self-hating quebecois?
No I haven't said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Ah, now I get why you accused me of being a francophone hater... you play that card wherever you go!
I remember the first times I decided not to stay silent anymore in front of pure franco hating on this board, I was almost seen as paranoid. But now that I'm doing it regularly, I'm getting a lot more support and a lot of respected posters here acknowledge that there's such a thing like "francophone hating" around here, and that it's very annoying/upsetting. I think acknowledging that it's real and that it's there is the first step to eventually fight it and remove it, especially if the mods can do their part.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 01-12-2011 at 10:20 AM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
GJ correcting Brunet! Here, let me correct you.
Roen doesn't spend 6-12h on TV per week being watched by millions.

Spelling is not the same as speaking either. I'd hate to see the number of mistakes Brunet makes while he writes.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
newromanceforkids

... and his cell phone rang over the air lol... dude you're a LIVE brodcaster, turn your ringer off...

newromanceforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Roen doesn't spend 6-12h on TV per week being watched by millions.
Spelling is not the same as speaking either. I'd hate to see the number of mistakes Brunet makes while he writes.
No, you just sit on your ass and nitpick someone doing one of the hardest jobs in broadcasting. Afterwards, you move your ass to a different place to spew your outrage on an internet forum.

Good job!

Old
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

I remember the first times I decided not to stay silent anymore in front of pure franco hating on this board, I was almost seen as paranoid. But now that I'm doing it regularly, I'm getting a lot more support and a lot of respected posters here acknowledge that there's such a thing like "francophone hating" around here, and that it's very annoying/upsetting. I think acknowledging that it's real and that it's there is the first step to eventually fight it and remove it, especially if the mods can do their part.
Right, so if I am not giddy and jumpy about a francophone prospect, I'm "francophone hating''.

Or, if I think Brunet is a moron, I'm " francophone hating''.

Or if Bertrand Raymond writes that MAB = WIZ , and we think that it's a moronic statement, that's "francophone hating''

Your over sensitivity is actually quite funny. And that you accuse me of essentially being a bigot and insensitive while not knowing what my background is(and knowing that I come from a group that has suffered far greater tragedies than the Quebecois) makes me even laugh harder

NO Partisan du CH, I'm not related to Halpern and Cammy.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
As a person who just wants the whole conversation to die already, I can safely say that on these boards I've seen both anti-francophone "hating" and francophone paranoia.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:07 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
As a person who just wants the whole conversation to die already, I can safely say that on these boards I've seen both anti-francophone "hating" and francophone paranoia.
I agree. I'm a francophone but it's impossible to defend a mind boggling editorial like Bertrand Raymond's assertion that MAB is Wiz's equivalent. It's not francophone bashing but it's evident that his editorial is solely based on MAB being a Quebecer but, hockey wise, the editorial is nonsense and actually hurts the cause of having more francophones on our team.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I agree. I'm a francophone but it's impossible to defend a mind boggling editorial like Bertrand Raymond's assertion that MAB is Wiz's equivalent. It's not francophone bashing but it's evident that his editorial is solely based on MAB being a Quebecer but, hockey wise, the editorial is nonsense and actually hurts the cause of having more francophones on our team.
The problem is that he never stated that Wiz = Bergeron. What he actually said was that they fill similar holes and Wiz was expensive to acquire, earns a lot more, and is UFA after this year. So he is a lot more risky in that sense, especially if this team is not expected to contend.

I generally find the Bergeron bashing way over the top. He was a flawed player earning very little at no risk and who was vital to the team's success last year. He wouldn't get 10% of the hate he gets here if his name last name was Smith. And BR probably wouldn't have written an article about him...

Old
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Agree with you, and I'm franco too, but it seems that as a french speaking person from Quebec (and my lil city is a way more francophone place than Montreal), I must be pro francophone... I DON'T CARE what language the players from my hockey team speaks ! I hate that french emphasis, it's so retard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
The problem is that he never stated that Wiz = Bergeron. What he actually said was that they fill similar holes and Wiz was expensive to acquire, earns a lot more, and is UFA after this year. So he is a lot more risky in that sense, especially if this team is not expected to contend.

I generally find the Bergeron bashing way over the top. He was a flawed player earning very little at no risk and who was vital to the team's success last year. He wouldn't get 10% of the hate he gets here if his name last name was Smith. And BR probably wouldn't have written an article about him...
I wonder if Raymond does have his blog again, last time I remember, he was being badly peppered for another stupid french emphasis thing he wrote, by french speaking persons...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, that's what I said, Quebecers in general are bad people...
Geez man, why are you so sensitive and making yourself feel victimized??...

Men that have given up a good part of their academic educations in order to pursue their dreams to become professional athletes are generally bad at spelling and speak broken french..OH MY GOD!!!..How dare I say such a thing!
Darche might be one of the rare exception as he has a degree.

Btw, well spoken=/=well written.

And I disagree. I have no heard one NHL or Ex player speak properly. Sure, they might be well spoken compared to others, but they're not well spoken. Maybe my standards are just too high.

In any event, it is a moot point. Don't try to make something out of nothing. French is a very, very complicated language, it wasn't a knock on anybody.
Because we see hate on francophone here, especially on francophone players.

University does not equal great spelling, it's something you gain way before been in age of going to superior education.

I challenge you to make a poll on the guys I've named and I'm sure peoples will say they are expressing themselves in good french, hell I've seen university proffessors with worse french than them. I don't know what your standards are, but I'm sure you don't need to be able to talk in a beaudelairian french to be a sport journalist.

Marc Denis is able to express himself as well as any journalist on RDS.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote