HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers looking to make another deal

Old
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
ocarina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We're talking about picking up a rental dman who is experienced and can play top 4 minutes. It's not that complicated. There are plenty of options out there.

We aren't looking for some awesome shutdown guy, just someone that can eat up minutes and play reasonable well against the other team's 2nd line.
And more importantly IMO, to take pressure off of our youngsters.

I find it funny that some people are playing the "you wanted a youth movement so why are you complaining?" Look at the Isles. They are a complete mess right now, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that there is almost no one at all to help all their young players out. They basically threw them onto the ice and said "learn on your own". That's not how to develop players, this isn't NHL 11.

I mean, do you think Tavares is happy that the Isles gave him PA Parenteau as his linemate to help him develop?

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That's all pre Tortorella. I think it's safe to say he's impacted Sather's thinking when it comes to going with the youth.
If you don't think someone will be added who has more than 5 years of experience you are crazy.

and you are wrong
Torts was hired Feb. 23, 2009
Derek Morris was acquired march 4, 2009

I also forgot Anders Erikkson who was acquired march 3, 2010.

We will add another defenseman

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Agree with Jan... The Rangers adding a vet d-man is about as done a deal as I can think of. Not a chance they would go into the playoffs (if made) without an addition.

Its more a matter who and when..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
According to "HF" season's over. We got too many neophytes on D.
Who the hell said that? Should we just stop trying to improve the team? Should our only goal be to get the kids experience and results be damned? I'm sure the vets on this team will be happy about that.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Slick Rick 61

Problem is the Rangers are still using the bonus cushion. If they grab someone at the deadline, they have to LTIR Frolov. Plus, who still knows if Prospal is coming back, because that would be 1.4M in bonus money credited back.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Eminger cost Voros, and that was vet for vet.

I am not advocating trading for Kaberle, Pitkanen, McCabe, or insert big name.

Tyutin would be my priority because he has been successful here and is not that old and signed for next season, Bieksa would be great but he probably is not available, but there are other veterans who won't cost crazy amounts...
Zanon who is signed through next season and has a 1.933 cap hit
Vandermeer who is a UFA at the end of the season
Matt Carkner who is 30 and has another year left on his deal at 700,000

Sather isn't trading the kids, but he will get a veteran d-man before the playoffs, look at his track record

Gusarov
Backman
Ozolinsh
Poti
Morris
With the exception of perhaps Morris, the rest were garbage and did more damage than good. Getting another cheap, poor dman will suck and may even cost us games in the POs. That type of vet adds nothing and hurts the team. If McDonagh makes a mistake, he learns and comes back next year. When Ozolinch cost us a game or two, it just sucked - there was no upside. Period.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
With the exception of perhaps Morris, the rest were garbage and did more damage than good. Getting another cheap, poor dman will suck and may even cost us games in the POs. That type of vet adds nothing and hurts the team. If McDonagh makes a mistake, he learns and comes back next year. When Ozolinch cost us a game or two, it just sucked - there was no upside. Period.
No one is advocating trading for an Ozolinsh type. We need some depth, if Torts and Sather believe this the the 6 he wants to go to war with then he will trade for a 7th d-man (ie Vandermeer, Staios, etc.) but if Sather and Torts feel this team needs a veteran d-man to chew up some minutes he will go after a Tyutin, Carkner, etc.

We traded a d-man for zherdev and that failed, so does that mean this deal is also a failure? Just because his trades in the past have stunk doesn't mean this one particularly will. There is a trend, he trades for a d-man for the playoffs. Sather just has to be smart about who he trades for and what he gives up, I hope we don't trade for an offensive minded d-man and thats why the name McCabe and Pitkanen scare me.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The Rangers should play who they have, get them some more experience so they will be better next year. Isn't that the point? The Rangers aren't winning a Cup this year. I never understood the mentality of selling your future to finish 6th instead of 7th.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The Rangers should play who they have, get them some more experience so they will be better next year. Isn't that the point? The Rangers aren't winning a Cup this year. I never understood the mentality of selling your future to finish 6th instead of 7th.
As I suggested earlier, the rangers should let McDonagh play until the deadline and then see where they are at. And also to see where other teams are situated in the standings. Maybe we're in the Top 5 at the time. We are currently just 3 points behind Pittsburgh. Granted they are without Crosby but that is the situation at hand. Carolina could be on the outside looking in by the deadline. We could be in a great position in the standings. That would be enough to go after Pitkanen or someone else. It doesnt necessarily mean we have to forego the future in a deal. Teams will ask for chips but we have alot of depth right now. We have draft picks. If the the rangers look like serious contenders by the deadline then why not take a chance? I think we have to let this play out before we start looking to make deals.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also, with the guys comparing this to the Isles, it's nothing like that. We've had our younger "vet" guys like Dubi and Cally surrounded with great vets, and I'm perfectly fine with them acting as mentors for the 20 year old Stepan's and even the 23 year old Sauers.

Age is only some of the equation of a good veteran presence.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Also, with the guys comparing this to the Isles, it's nothing like that. We've had our younger "vet" guys like Dubi and Cally surrounded with great vets, and I'm perfectly fine with them acting as mentors for the 20 year old Stepan's and even the 23 year old Sauers.

Age is only some of the equation of a good veteran presence.
Which was exactly my point.

We shouldn't just give our youngsters increased ice-time and expect it to be for the best. I really don't see how that would benefit McDonagh, Sauer, etc.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Eminger is more equipped to play in the NHL right now over a player like Gilroy, MDZ or McDonagh.

You cant just assume they can play 20 minutes a night consistently without making mistakes that will cost games. That is why teams allow their young players time to get used to the NHL before asking them to do everything.

That is why Sauer was brought along slowly. he has looked good because they have put him in a position to succeed. Asking him to all of a sudden play 20+ minutes a night consistently will backfire. No team who has any idea what they are doing does that.
Sauer has been getting pretty consistent ice time since he came up 13:19 in the opener against Buff...two sub 10 minute games in October, since then he has ranged anywhere from 13-18 per...1/5 vs the Canes he played 18:02.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
+1

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Problem is the Rangers are still using the bonus cushion. If they grab someone at the deadline, they have to LTIR Frolov. Plus, who still knows if Prospal is coming back, because that would be 1.4M in bonus money credited back.
Prospal isn't coming back though. He won't be capable of playing on the top two lines and we have more than enough players in the bottom two. I just don't see it happening.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
jb**

Any of you familiar with this : guy on Twitter named *************** from NYC
he is saying:

**BREAKING NEWS** Source: As of this morning NY Rangers & Philadelphia Flyers are the front runners for Iginla - Flyers are ready to deal

Is this guy at all credible?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
he is saying:

**BREAKING NEWS** Source: As of this morning NY Rangers & Philadelphia Flyers are the front runners for Iginla - Flyers are ready to deal

Never heard of the guy before, but I really really hope that he's wrong.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
he is saying:

Sounds familiar to me. This could get interesting...

Or not.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
he is saying:

I would say he is average. He isn't Eklund but he isn't Bobby Mack. I would doubt the Rangers are looking at Iginla, but who knows.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
he is saying:

Ummm, NO!

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Ummm, NO!
He isn't THAT bad. He is on these boards I believe. I am sure he will pop his head in this thread at some point.

Either way, people have to understand that these "sources" don't always give out great information. He may just be passing along information he is hearing. Always take it with a grain of salt.

Old
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Iginla? Ughhhh... pass

What would the price be? Probably a pill I, or nobody else is willing to swallow. We have been doing well in the realm of not making the mistakes of yesteryear. It would be a shame to revert back to the old ways with a deal for Iginla. I don't see that happening, so therefore I don't think this rumor is credible.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

No moves please, unless for a vet dman

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
he is saying:

I sure hope he's not. Iginla's contract is set to pay him 7m a year through the end of the 2012 season. More big contracts is the opposite of what we need.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I sure hope he's not. Iginla's contract is set to pay him 7m a year through the end of the 2012 season. More big contracts is the opposite of what we need.
Maybe Drury is involved......

Old
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
he is saying:

He's the same guy who started tyhe Semin to Islanders rumor. The only notable thing he got right was Gordon getting fired.

Groot is online now   Reply With Quote