HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

The Official Panthers Playoff Chances Thread 2011

View Poll Results: What do you think Tallon should do?
Wait until the deadline, if we're out of it; fire sale. 16 43.24%
Start selling assets now. 18 48.65%
Add pieces to the team to make the playoffs this year 2 5.41%
Do neither; keep this team and hope for the best. 0 0%
Other; leave a comment 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Think he meant trade a guy like Caber, he may be able to get more for him at the deadline. Plus, he's captain, that'd be quite a statement.
This.

Also, if Tallon trades McCabe, I'd assume it's because he wants to tank, instead of "try to get a winning streak going."

Regardless of how bad McCabe's been at times, he's still one of our leading scorers (which is kinda sad, but whatever), and as Laus said, he's still the captain of the team.

If Tallon makes a trade right now, I would imagine it would be a bit more minor than that.

I still think he'll wait a couple of weeks (or if this team just flat out goes on a losing streak...perhaps a week) to decide what he's going to do with the likes of Vokoun, McCabe, etc.

By the way, I hope Ellerby plays really well and stays on the team. As Filakov said in his blog, Ellerby never really deserved to get demoted, to begin with. I hope he continues to show the organization he belongs. If he does, the organization might have no other choice, but to trade McCabe.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Rob Zepp

The move the Tallon has made that still irks me is letting Grabner walk for nothing. We could use that speed and those goals right now.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:40 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Going with the statistics, it's going to take almost a miracle to make the postseason. It's funny that had we won the last two games against the Thrashers & Canes, our playoff percentage would I believe be over 60 or 65%. I don't want to have a fire sale just yet, but give it another week or two and if our playoff chances are over 50%, yeah it's over. Trade half of the team that we don't see in our future plans. I think Tallon will wait until the deadline though.
It is funny, and this is the whole problem right here. As soon as we HAD to win to have a chance, we didn't. All because they are always buried by the end of November. ALWAYS. We're going to get off to a good start this time! Yeah, right. Blow this **** up, I'm fed up already.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
It is funny, and this is the whole problem right here. As soon as we HAD to win to have a chance, we didn't. All because they are always buried by the end of November. ALWAYS. We're going to get off to a good start this time! Yeah, right. Blow this **** up, I'm fed up already.
Yup. For the first time ever, there isn't a single player on the roster who I'd be terribly sad to see traded. If every one of them were gone by the end of the season, I wouldn't blink an eye.

If there was ever a team that needed a complete reboot, it's this one.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Gudbranson44

numbers went down with 9% after last night. not only our game affected it though, our loss lowered it 5.1% and other games were responsible for the rest.

dear god

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:51 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

It's amazing that it's dropped from 50.9%, which is where we were before the Atlanta game to 22.6% now. Had we won those three games, we probably would be at around 70-75% now. What a difference a few divisional games mean. What we desperately need is to go on a multiple game winning streak as in five, six, or seven like the GOOD teams do. However, I don't even remember the last time we went on more than a three game winning streak. It could have been all the way back in the 99-00 season for all I know. It's interesting though. The Wild beat the Pens last night 4-0 and their percentage went up over 12%.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
sinDer

Quote:
What we desperately need is to go on a multiple game winning streak as in five, six, or seven like the GOOD teams do. However, I don't even remember the last time we went on more than a three game winning streak.
Yeah, but on the other hand, we didn't have a big losing neither this year.

Even if could win our next 6 games, we all know what would happen next: Losing 8 of the next 10 games.

They're a .500 team at best. And looking at this roster, it would be unfair to ask for more.

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
It's amazing that it's dropped from 50.9%, which is where we were before the Atlanta game to 22.6% now. Had we won those three games, we probably would be at around 70-75% now. What a difference a few divisional games mean. What we desperately need is to go on a multiple game winning streak as in five, six, or seven like the GOOD teams do. However, I don't even remember the last time we went on more than a three game winning streak. It could have been all the way back in the 99-00 season for all I know. It's interesting though. The Wild beat the Pens last night 4-0 and their percentage went up over 12%.
The formula weights the last few games played heavily. We're not making the playoffs because we can never put any wins together. When was the last time we won four games in a row?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The formula weights the last few games played heavily. We're not making the playoffs because we can never put any wins together. When was the last time we won four games in a row?

Old
01-09-2011, 01:03 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
This, and the fact that we are the best team in the league to lose a lead

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:08 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Think he meant trade a guy like Caber, he may be able to get more for him at the deadline. Plus, he's captain, that'd be quite a statement.
Langenbrunner got traded and he was captain of the devils.... and about or playoff chance, 0% chance.

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
This, and the fact that we are the best team in the league to lose a lead
Don't forget crappy Power Play!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
KWGoon

I voted to start selling asap. If we start the process now, we may actually get something at or by the deadline.

Not that the pick(s) we get will do any good. Even getting the #1 pick won't do any good. If we had got Crosby, he'd either be traded by now, or he'd be Weiss 2.0. Conversely, if Pittsburgh had picked Horton, he'd be the next coming of Cam Neely. Just the reality, because the bottom line is: our player development sucks. Other teams are much better at this.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post

Even if could win our next 6 games, we all know what would happen next: Losing 8 of the next 10 games.

They're a .500 team at best. And looking at this roster, it would be unfair to ask for more.
The panthers do have a pretty nice schedule the next couple home games against teams like new jersey and tampa who have had trouble in our barn. The panthers have played well enough on the road going a couple games under .500 the big problem is not taking care of their business at home. they really have not played better at home than on the road. that being said this team is much more likely to go on a 6 game losing streak than a 6 game winning streak.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post

Exactly. It's just a constant roller coaster with this team, which has been the case almost every season since 2000 so that they end up either a few games over or under .500. Long winning streaks are what will put them ahead of the non-playoff teams, but like I said, I don't remember the team going on more than a three game winning streak at any point over the last five seasons.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
Langenbrunner got traded and he was captain of the devils.... and about or playoff chance, 0% chance.
And they were moving him along because, from what I gathered, he became a distraction and was outspoken about the new coach. Things McCabe isn't. That team's also only got 22 points, we do not.

01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
The longest win streak I remember was a 7 game streak at the end of 2007-08. I can't think of anything more recent.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
The longest win streak I remember was a 7 game streak at the end of 2007-08. I can't think of anything more recent.
Yeah but look back at that streak and they lost 6 of 7 right before it (4 pts in those 7 games) and lost 4 of the next 5 after it (3 pts).

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule...orida-panthers

At least, last season there were a few 3 game win streaks spread throughout there though but not one this yr so you gotta think this team just isnt capable of stringing those wins together this season and wont let them make the playoffs as a result.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Acadmus

I'm the only person to vote other.

I think the team should stick to whatever the hell Tallon's plan is. It's entirely possible some of the signings made last offseason were done just to have assets that could be dealt for picks or prospects at the deadline. Maybe not. I really don't know. What I do know is we picked up a number of promising and well thought of prospects at the draft last season, and what was signed in the offseason seemed like filler material. Granted some of them have outperformed expectations, but I still don't think the plan was to keep these guys long-term.

01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Gudbranson44

the win last night gave us 5 percentage. lets hope they can pull off some kind of win streak to get us up to a better number