HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash named to play in All-Star Game.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
He seems to have the respect of the players, coaches, and league. Maybe that's enough.
If you have that in your field, wouldn't you be considered a success? I think that's pretty much all anyone can work for.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If you have that in your field, wouldn't you be considered a success? I think that's pretty much all anyone can work for.
Sadly, individual success and respect from your peers doesn't make you a leader.

We all know he's a great player. But is he the player that has earned the captain and franchise tags?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Sadly, individual success and respect from your peers doesn't make you a leader.
True.

Quote:
We all know he's a great player.
That's what started this line of talk - the comment that he'd be a third-liner on a good team - so not all agree with us.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's what started this line of talk - the comment that he'd be a third-liner on a good team - so not all agree with us.
Oh Matt knows, deep down inside, that he is. You don't score 40 goals in the this league on accident. There's not one team in this league that he's a 3rd liner on.

Old
01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
At least we aren't 1 of the 4 teams only being represented in the skills competition by rookies....

As a Yotes fan I'd be more concerned about that if I didn't know Yandle deserved to go.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
As a Yotes fan I'd be more concerned about that if I didn't know Yandle deserved to go.
Absolutely!

Old
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

We all know he's a great player. But is he the player that has earned the captain and franchise tags?
Yet this isn't a thread about Nash's captaincy or leadership. This is a thread about him being named to the All-Star team. Seems he qualifies.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Yet this isn't a thread about Nash's captaincy or leadership. This is a thread about him being named to the All-Star team. Seems he qualifies.
/grats from all around.

/endthread.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:36 PM
CBJCougar

I'm thrilled for Nasher! Atta boy!! He is phenomenal when surrounded by great talent!! I will be watching

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Pluckfur

Who?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Juneemoon

I'd just like to point out to those that think Kris Russell is too small to play in the NHL that he and Tobias Enstrom are both listed at 5'10" and 180 lbs.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
/grats from all around.

/endthread.
Excellent.
*sequentially taps fingertips together*

To be clear, since you took me to task by not taking me to task...

I'm certainly not trying to suggest that Nash's leadership, earnings and what-have-you are not open for discussion/debate. But those things are not required of folks to be named to the All-Star team. I would guess there are a number of players that will participate in the All-Star Game who have sub-standard or at the very least sub-optimum leadership abilities or who are being paid more than they're worth.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Excellent.
*sequentially taps fingertips together*

To be clear, since you took me to task by not taking me to task...

I'm certainly not trying to suggest that Nash's leadership, earnings and what-have-you are not open for discussion/debate. But those things are not required of folks to be named to the All-Star team. I would guess there are a number of players that will participate in the All-Star Game who have sub-standard or at the very least sub-optimum leadership abilities or who are being paid more than they're worth.
Was just a comment based on the Dispatch pimping his fifth consecutive representation of our awesome franchise. Random thoughts from a random read.

Old
01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
I'd just like to point out to those that think Kris Russell is too small to play in the NHL that he and Tobias Enstrom are both listed at 5'10" and 180 lbs.
Midgets litter the NHL. A little unseemly actually. If we're going to have midgets, at least make them be Finnish.

Old
01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

The fight in the dog and dog in the fight. Russ's bark is worse than his bite, dude can skate like the wind though.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
And Brian Rafalski is 5'10 190, Kris Russell has no idea how to play against NHL players with his frame. He should go watch tape of Rafalski for hours on end. It's about positioning and stick-work, Russell just seems to wave at people and expect them to cough up the puck.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
And Brian Rafalski is 5'10 190, Kris Russell has no idea how to play against NHL players with his frame. He should go watch tape of Rafalski for hours on end. It's about positioning and stick-work, Russell just seems to wave at people and expect them to cough up the puck.
Hold up - Rafalski is 37 years old with 800+ NHL games (with the DEVILS AND WINGS!!) played - he's a terrific offensive defenseman. Give Russ another 14 years and another 500 games and then we can discuss the two players apple to apple.

Edit: and this IS the page, afterall.

Old
01-13-2011, 07:21 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hold up - Rafalski is 37 years old with 800+ NHL games (with the DEVILS AND WINGS!!) played - he's a terrific offensive defenseman. Give Russ another 14 years and another 500 games and then we can discuss the two players apple to apple.
Since the comparison was a successful small framed offensive dman against an unsuccessful small frame offensive dman and the recommendation was to watch tape, I'm not sure we are really to the point where we need 500 games of history to draw whatever conclusion you are looking for.

To be honest, if Russell does't improve he may not get 500 more games at the NHL level.

Old
01-13-2011, 07:25 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Most know size isnt always the issue, but when you dont have the skill to offset the size, its an issue, and thats what Russell is right now

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Since the comparison was a successful small framed offensive dman against an unsuccessful small frame offensive dman and the recommendation was to watch tape, I'm not sure we are really to the point where we need 500 games of history to draw whatever conclusion you are looking for.

To be honest, if Russell does't improve he may not get 500 more games at the NHL level.
No, it was not a successful comparison - not on ANY level and not in ANY sense. Let me explain where your error in logic lies: If you compare Chara and Sutton ... the absolute ONLY commonality they share as defensemen is their size. Size being similar in two players reflects NOTHING about what makes one guy significantly better than the other. Why Rafalski is better/more productive than Russ has more to do with Rafalski played 500 more games ALONG side defensemen who were superbly skilled, and superbly strong leaders on their respective teams. Those learning experiences and particular advantages have never been given Russ. That isn't Russ's fault - that's Howson's fault.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
BluejacketNut

Also, Rafalski didnt make his NHL debut until he was 27-28, but because of size, Rafalski is his best comparable

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Also, Rafalski didnt make his NHL debut until he was 27-28
Yep, before that he played very, very successfully in Finland, developing his offensive skills. That was his path to the NHL and he has said that it's the reason he is there today. A lot of US/CAN small d-men would gain so much playing in European leagues, since you have much better chance to handle the puck as you're not being checked 100% at the time. It will be interesting to see how Sami Vatanen, a small but very capable offensive d-man will do in the NHL (Anaheim pick). He's 5'9 and is amazing with the puck and can really develop properly right now.

Last edited by Handyy: 01-13-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
No, it was not a successful comparison - not on ANY level and not in ANY sense.
Looking at tape of a successful player is a common practice. You are making far too much out of this. Some have drawn parallel's, I'm not sure about that nor do I care. But watching how another smaller player deals with larger players could net some results.

If there is anything Russell can get out of studying Rafaski, it will be far less meaningful in 500 games. If Russell is even in the NHL.

I would say that it's 99%+ possible that Russell would get more out of studying Rafalski's then everyone on the boards got out of this exchange. If nothing else he should get a better idea on how to defend him, not that it's as important for Russell...

Nothing to see here, time to move on.

Either way, it would probably be far more meaningful to bring in a successful veteran offensive dman for mentoring purposes anyway. For the team and the young dmen in the system.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-13-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old
01-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Looking at tape of a successful player is a common practice. You are making far too much out of this. Some have drawn parallel's, I'm not sure about that nor do I care. But watching how another smaller player deals with larger players could net some results.

If there is anything Russell can get out of studying Rafaski, it will be far less meaningful in 500 games. If Russell is even in the NHL.

I would say that it's 99%+ possible that Russell would get more out of studying Rafalski's then everyone on the boards got out of this exchange. If nothing else he should get a better idea on how to defend him, not that it's as important for Russell...

Nothing to see here, time to move on.

Either way, it would probably be far more meaningful to bring in a successful veteran offensive dman for mentoring purposes anyway. For the team and the young dmen in the system.
LOL That's what I said - twice.

:sigh: moving on, moving on ...