HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crazy Shootout Nonsense!

Old
01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
DJ Mix

vCash: 500
Crazy Shootout Nonsense!

I hope this doesn't start a vitriolic debate, but I've got some questions about shootout rules.
First of all I hate shootouts in the first place, being a bit of a purist myself, but I think that's a debate for another time.
In the beginning of this "shootout era" I didn't see many things that looked out of place, but after seeing the Vancouver shootout against the New York Islanders makes me think it's gone too far. When I was a kid(how old do I sound?), my coaches always told me that a penalty shot had to be a continuous motion toward the net.
What are the current rules? Is a player really allowed to approach the net, stop and spin around with a "spin-o-rama" move. This essentially allows the player and/or puck to move in a direction AWAY from the net and back toward the center of the ice. If so, doesn't that open a huge can of worms? Think of the possibilites!

What's next, allowing rebounds?

Moderators, if you see fit to put this thread somewhere else, feel free.

DJ Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:43 PM
chaosof99*

Actually, the spin-o-rama is explicitly legal as per the NHL rulebook, as long as it is a continuous motion. I have however yet to see a player stop, which I think is impossible to follow up with a spin-o-rama.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
The point of that rule is so that a player doesn't approach the goalie and get a read on him, lose puck or make a move and realize there's no hole and then turn around and try again. If your going to say a spin-o-Rama isn't allowed then is toe dragging around a goalie not allied because the puck technically is moving away from the goal? It's a hockey play, it's all one move, it's not like he tried to do a wrap around on him or anything.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 01-12-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: L-Train is an ass.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The point of that rule is so that a player doesn't approach the goalie and get a read on him, lose puck or make a move and realize there's no hole and then turn around and try again. If your going to say a spin-o-Rama isn't allowed then is toe dragging around a goalie not allied because the puck technically is moving away from the goal? It's a hockey play, it's all one move, it's not like he tried to do a rap around on him or anything.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote