HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think I figured out the Benoit Brunet thing

Old
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
I am getting more sick of Pierre trying to be an analyst than Brunet. Just stick to calling the play by play Pierre, you don't know much about hockey. He is like all the TSN journalists who sit around pretending to be GMs and arguing with real GMs and coaches they have on their panel (Journalists like Dreger & MacKenzie arguing about hockey with a guy like Craig MacTavish LOL, so stupid).

Brunet is not as bad as some people think, I dunno why he is hated so much, probably just a meme from the usual Montreal crowd of losers who try to make themselves look like they know something about hockey by bashing others. He may have his foibles, but I like to hear the opinions of a guy who played NHL hockey.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Because I don't give a ****? I'm not a director but I have an opinion on movies. I'm not a chef but I have an opinion on food. We're all not professional hockey players but we're on here criticizing players and coaches everyday. I'm not a hockey analyst but I have an opinion on the incompetent man ''analyzing'' the game on RDS.

I don't care about the scrutiny. What matters is whether he's doing the job well, and he's simply not.
That Brunet's biggest problem (okay, his second biggest). People who have an opinion and can't back it up. He sucks, you suck, I suck, everybody sucks.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I am getting more sick of Pierre trying to be an analyst than Brunet. Just stick to calling the play by play Pierre, you don't know much about hockey. He is like all the TSN journalists who sit around pretending to be GMs and arguing with real GMs and coaches they have on their panel (Journalists like Dreger & MacKenzie arguing about hockey with a guy like Craig MacTavish LOL, so stupid).
McKenzie is a dumbass because he hasn't been a GM at the NHL level? Some people are better art critics than artists. Relatively few people ever get the chance to be a GM or coach in the NHL, and some people instead spend that time valuably studying and reasearching the game, maintaining contacts in the biz, forming educated opinions, etc.

And the whole rationale behind TSN's mixed bag panel is that there are always voices from all corners: coaches, GMs, analysts, players. Having only one category, or only former pros, would be a serious drag, IMO.

Note: I'm pretty confident that Bob McKenzie could at least score an interview or cause some interest as at least an assistant NHL GM, if Pierre McGuire could be shortlisted for one.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Brunet is not as bad as some people think, I dunno why he is hated so much, probably just a meme from the usual Montreal crowd of losers who try to make themselves look like they know something about hockey by bashing others. He may have his foibles, but I like to hear the opinions of a guy who played NHL hockey.
Perfectly said! I agree 100%.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
McKenzie is a dumbass because he hasn't been a GM at the NHL level? Some people are better art critics than artists. Relatively few people ever get the chance to be a GM or coach in the NHL, and some people instead spend that time valuably studying and reasearching the game, maintaining contacts in the biz, forming educated opinions, etc.

And the whole rationale behind TSN's mixed bag panel is that there are always voices from all corners: coaches, GMs, analysts, players. Having only one category, or only former pros, would be a serious drag, IMO.

Note: I'm pretty confident that Bob McKenzie could at least score an interview or cause some interest as at least an assistant NHL GM, if Pierre McGuire could be shortlisted for one.
MacKenzie is a pretty good journalist but he is not much of an analysis, just annother talking head offering generic insipid remarks that would just be white noise in even a HFboards thread. I dont know why Bob MacKenzie has so many fanboy worshippers here on HFboards. NHLnetwork's panel is much better than TSN cuz they rarely have journalists on, it's usually all hockey men while TSN is often 60-80% journalist cuz they wanna pretend their own staff members are all hockey geniuses so they give them lots of face time (apparently it works well when people go around posting here that guys like MacKenzie, Pang, Dreger could be NHL GMs lol).

Old
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
No, you got it wrong. I don't think very highly of Benoît Brunet and Bertrand Raymond either. The difference is that I don't make a fixation about it. It's the "fixation" part that raises eyebrows.

And about prospects : HF Boards is very well known for overrating EVERY prospects. The fans are always excessively enthousiastic about ALL of their prospects. But recently, we've seen on this board the only players that are exempted from that phenomenom : Louis Leblanc and David Desharnais. When we talk about these players, there's suddenly a cohort of pessimistic posters arguing that these guys have no future, that we make them play or drafted them only because of their French name and that we should even stop talking about them. You really think it's a coincidence that the only prospects that makes these kinds of comments happen are French Canadians? I don't think so.

And I've been here for long enough, and I've heard all this stuff about "Dandouillon", about "fatendresse", about Ribeiro, about Bégin, about a poll where a majority of posters thought Brisebois deserved to be booed, about basically every French Canadians that has played for the Habs. Even Mathieu Darche was seen as a waste of cap space this summer. It's not everyone, but there's a very vocal minority here that spends most of their time bashing every French Canadian players/coaches/journalists/medias.

I'm not the one turning everything into a language debate. It's them, except that when I read anything hateful toward French Canadians, I don't stay silent anymore. You want me to stop being a pain in the *ss? It's easy : leave your prejudices aside, and if you have nothing better than irrational bashing to do, well don't say anything.

You're overly sensitive for some reason. I think eventually you'll mature out of it.

Fatendresse was not called that because he was french, but rather, because he was FAT.

I can refute very cleanly and easily all of your points, but I can see quite clearly that there are a few cards missing in the deck here so why bother.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
MacKenzie is a pretty good journalist but he is not much of an analysis, just annother talking head offering generic insipid remarks that would just be white noise in even a HFboards thread. I dont know why Bob MacKenzie has so many fanboy worshippers here on HFboards. NHLnetwork's panel is much better than TSN cuz they rarely have journalists on, it's usually all hockey men
I don't watch the NHL network, so I can't comment. People like McKenzie because he offers balanced, informed analysis, and he's responsible, not breaking news unless it's the real thing.

You don't like him, fine. I'm not going to try to change your mind.

Quote:
TSN is often 60-80% journalist cuz they wanna pretend their own staff members are all hockey geniuses so they give them lots of face time (apparently it works well when people go around posting here that guys like MacKenzie, Pang, Dreger could be NHL GMs lol).
People LOL'd at the suggestion that Pierre McGuire could wind up as a GM in the league. I believe he was interviewed in FLA, and he came down to one of two choices in Minny. I really don't think that it's wholly on the merit of his brief coaching career nearly twenty years ago, but because he's seen as being quite knowledgeable. The idea of Bob McKenzie as an assistant GM in the league is anything but far-fetched.

Old
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
The prononciation is right.. It is veybair..
Nah, the right prononciation is what the english media decides is.

Like Kristopher LeTANG

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
Nah, the right prononciation is what the english media decides is.

Like Kristopher LeTANG
You know Weber isn't French or English, right?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Pretty sure he is french speaking swiss, anyway I don't know why some people are debating this I'm pretty sure that Pierre Houde has said that he had ask him how to pronounce his name. So, he has the good way to say it.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Pretty sure he is french speaking swiss, anyway I don't know why some people are debating this I'm pretty sure that Pierre Houde has said that he had ask him how to pronounce his name. So, he has the good way to say it.
I thought Weber's first language was German. But yeah, I think Houde is pronouncing it correctly. It's just silly to make it into an English vs French debate.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Forsead

Quote:
I thought Weber's first language was German. But yeah, I think Houde is pronouncing it correctly. It's just silly to make it into an English vs French debate.
Well he come from Morges a francophone city, anyway swiss are often trilingual and more.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
I remember in university we were studying Max Weber and my German sociology prof pronounced it 'Vayber'. I would've expected it to sound like that, or else there's some regional differences in pronunciation, or Houde's own accent just modifies it somewhat.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:55 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

What exactly have you learned from Brunet over these past couple years??
I actually think Brunet is better this year compared to last year.

His analysis is very basic. Unless you're a pee-wee house league player, chances are you already know everything he says.
Joel Bouchard has his segments where he analyzes plays during the games, with his little computer pen, but Brunet just describes the play, points toward a mistake (which often, he attributes to the wrong player) or mentions what he would have rather seen.
Where I feel he improved is in his criticism towards certain players and bias. Last year, the man flat out sounded like a normal Habs fan with a mic. A little more and he'd be screaming ''You suck Andrei!''. He's calmed down a bit over that this year.
He's still a bad gameplay commentator imo.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Vineon

Quote:
Jesus of course I do, he is german swiss, there was a bit of sarcasm there. I simply implied the "correct" pronounciation will end up being whatever the english media ends up deciding it should be.

I used Letang as an example. His name is chronically mispronounced and it isnt due to english people struggling with french sounds like they do with 'brodeur' or 'roy', they simply decided they would pronounce his name entirely differently. There shouldn't be an 'g' sound in Letang.

I would trust Houde's pronounciations much before I trust any english play-by-play commentator with his own. He's likely to be much closer to how it should be said and in Weber's case, vaybère is pretty much it.

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:47 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I remember I felt alone when I thought Pedneault was doing a decent job.''You people'' kindda got what you deserved with the Pedneault vendetta that was going on.Be careful what you wish next time.I know they were rumors it was money that broke Pedneault with RDS with I guess being unpopular didn't help him get re-signed.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:48 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

but but... Benny likes Cammy, so all is good!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:11 AM
HotPie

I think the best part about Benoit is when Pierre has to tell him to do his job on the air.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I think the best part about Benoit is when Pierre has to tell him to do his job on the air.
Hahaha yeah, sometimes Pierre just seem alone, which is great IMO, then suddenly he just asks 'Toujours là Benoit?'... why does he have to ask that

Also, 'un mini 3 contre 2'... what ??

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What exactly have you learned from Brunet over these past couple years??
I actually think Brunet is better this year compared to last year.

His analysis is very basic. Unless you're a pee-wee house league player, chances are you already know everything he says. Where I feel he improved is in his criticism towards certain players and bias. Last year, the man flat out sounded like a normal Habs fan with a mic. A little more and he'd be screaming ''You suck Andrei!''. He's calmed down a bit over that this year.
He's still a bad gameplay commentator imo.
He can pick out subtleties that his perspective makes it easier for him to notice.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
He can pick out subtleties that his perspective makes it easier for him to notice.
Such as..??
Perhaps they are subtleties to you..I haven't heard him point towards one thing I had not noticed, unless it was due to a camera angle.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
McNuts

Guys, Brunet is much better than Pierre Houde. At least he knows hockey. Pierre does not.

Houde would be much better if he just described the game. Unfortunately, he feels like it's his duty to make comments about the game and to describe his every thought to the viewers. Shut up Pierre, no one likes to hear you talk about stupid **** during play. When a goal is scored while you were talking about F1 racing, you really look like a ****ing idiot.

It also took him several years to find out what an icing was (he used to regularly call icings when the linesmen clearly waived it off and sound all surprised when play continued), he also doesn't know which team has the penalty when the refs whistle after they touch the puck. It's the team who touched the puck, Pierre.

He also always have to give his opinion on penalties and when a player gets legally hit with the puck, he'll say that player x "s'en tire bien". No he doesn't *********, it was perfectly legal.

I hate Pierre Houde.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
AgainstTheGrain8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Hahaha yeah, sometimes Pierre just seem alone, which is great IMO, then suddenly he just asks 'Toujours là Benoit?'... why does he have to ask that

Also, 'un mini 3 contre 2'... what ??
He pulled that one yesterday that was hilarious... when the game was super speedy back and forth, he was a bit in over his head.

Anyone catch the "déconner" instead of... of... I forget, I think he was trying to say "dégager"?

Anyway I like the RDS guys, even as a Bruins fan. I prefer the homer commentators that give some color to the game as opposed to the more knowledgeable Pierre McGuire types who are a little bit boring in my opinion.
Although I'd do a Benoit->Joel switch in a heartbeat.

Jack Edwards rules though.

AgainstTheGrain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

My intention when I started this thread was NOT to bash Brunet.

I just wanted to make a point about Treizane, Brunet DID NOT make a mistake when saying it, it was just very unusual for me to hear that said.

I mean Treizaine is usually only used to describe a religious holiday in France like '' La Treizane de St Antoine ''

anywho ...

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain8 View Post
He pulled that one yesterday that was hilarious... when the game was super speedy back and forth, he was a bit in over his head.

Anyone catch the "déconner" instead of... of... I forget, I think he was trying to say "dégager"?
Btw, when he says "decocher un tir," decocher means something like 'unleashed', right?