Old
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
wait wait, what about LA?
This is what I'm wondering as well. LA scouts keep popping up at Bruins games, with some supposed to be here tonight. Thoughts on potential moves?

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatson783 View Post
This is what I'm wondering as well. LA scouts keep popping up at Bruins games, with some supposed to be here tonight. Thoughts on potential moves?
Doughty for Savard.

LA gets that top 6 forward they've wanted.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
They need a winger to play with Kopitar, but I don't think Ryder would be that guy.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Early on it might have been to check out Ryder. Columbus has been the focus because the Bruins and Columbus appear to have been scouting each other for some time and Portzline keeps alluding to a big deal that's being pursued.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Early on it might have been to check out Ryder. Columbus has been the focus because the Bruins and Columbus appear to have been scouting each other for some time and Portzline keeps alluding to a big deal that's being pursued.
I bring it up because I was up in the halo last night covering the game and noticed that we had 2 LA guys there- one of them being Lombardi himself

He could have been there just to stop in on a visit to Manchester. It could have been to see someone in person. In any case, the last few games the B's have played there have typically been 2 LA scouts at each.

On the non-rumor mongering side, I was looking up and down the LA roster wondering who would be a great fit here in Boston and the one name I kept coming back to was Dustin Brown. He's a tough player, is quick, can score and be back defensively. On top of that, he's a leader on that LA team and from what we've heard, CJ is a big fan of the kid. His contract is sub 4mil until 14-15 I believe. I'd love to see what he could do on a line with Bergy and Marchand.

So with that said, what do you think it would cost to make a deal for Brown?

Old
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Not happening...but start with Toronto's first.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Not happening...but start with Toronto's first.
99% chance it doesn't especially since LA is looking to strengthen their wing situation and that would do just the opposite, but in terms of value, I'm curious as to what it would take.

Old
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
They need a winger to play with Kopitar, but I don't think Ryder would be that guy.
That's why I don't see them as a good trading partner.Maybe its Wheeler any up grade from there just doesn't add up as the Bruins would be asking for Johnson/Doughty,which isn't happening.

A couple of kings other than the obvious ones I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bruin uni are Rob Scuderi,Oscar Moller and Wayne Simmons.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner

Any updates on this?

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
LA has an huge inventory of four to five young high end defensemen and two top young goalies- they can take on salary and seem very logical for Parise. Would suck for NJ but they made their bed with the Kovalchuk deal and they can rebuild by sending Parise a RFA to LA at the deadline for combination of Bernier, a couple of young defenseman in the pipeline, and maybe some picks. Parise if returning to expected production would be a star in LA and could rejoin some of his Olympic team brothers.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:50 AM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Columbus badly needs defensemen, Boston's strength. They can also take on salary.
FC. Do you think the bruins have the depth to trade a d man ?

IMO, they don't.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
LA has an huge inventory of four to five young high end defensemen and two top young goalies- they can take on salary and seem very logical for Parise. Would suck for NJ but they made their bed with the Kovalchuk deal and they can rebuild by sending Parise a RFA to LA at the deadline for combination of Bernier, a couple of young defenseman in the pipeline, and maybe some picks. Parise if returning to expected production would be a star in LA and could rejoin some of his Olympic team brothers.
LA would just be unfair if they got Parise.

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
They have a couple games in hand but they will likely find themselves in a dog fight to get in the playoffs.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
for a couple years...eventually, Quick, Doughty, Bernier, Schenn and a couple others need to get paid though

Old
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsox View Post
for a couple years...eventually, Quick, Doughty, Bernier, Schenn and a couple others need to get paid though
Such is the way of the salary cap. Potential dynasties torn apart before they ever get the chance to mature.

Old
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post

IMO, they don't.
IMO Stuart is as good as gone not saying that the Bruins will not trade for a d man before the dead line. That will depend on injuries and how a few of the younger d-men play

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Stone Clode Stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme44 View Post
IMO Stuart is as good as gone not saying that the Bruins will not trade for a d man before the dead line. That will depend on injuries and how a few of the younger d-men play
I think Stuart can be traded for a pick at the deadline, and that pick can be used in a package to get a veteran rental d-man.

Old
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Such is the way of the salary cap. Potential dynasties torn apart before they ever get the chance to mature.
It truly is a shame. The NHL should look into the NBA's version of a soft cap...where you can go over and pay a luxury tax when resigning a player...and also having a mid level exemption once a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_sal..._vs._Hard_Caps

Very effective so you don't have to see a good core gutted every other year

Old
01-12-2011, 12:28 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
I bring it up because I was up in the halo last night covering the game and noticed that we had 2 LA guys there- one of them being Lombardi himself

He could have been there just to stop in on a visit to Manchester. It could have been to see someone in person. In any case, the last few games the B's have played there have typically been 2 LA scouts at each.

On the non-rumor mongering side, I was looking up and down the LA roster wondering who would be a great fit here in Boston and the one name I kept coming back to was Dustin Brown. He's a tough player, is quick, can score and be back defensively. On top of that, he's a leader on that LA team and from what we've heard, CJ is a big fan of the kid. His contract is sub 4mil until 14-15 I believe. I'd love to see what he could do on a line with Bergy and Marchand.

That's interesting, I wonder what their plans are now with Johnson extended. LA has a ton of great players who would be great in Boston, but the cost for those guys is probably too high. I'd probably be happy if PC paid a premium to get Simmonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post

IMO, they don't.
I think Boston can give up one of Stuart, Boychuk, or McQuaid to return a puck-mover. If it takes two separate deals, like flipping one of those guys to Columbus for a pick and then using that to get bring in a puck-mover.

Right now they have:

Chara
Seidenberg
Ference
Boychuk
Stuart
Kampfer
McQuaid

So yeah, I think they can afford to shed a defenseman, especially considering that at the deadline, #5/6 defensemen are always available for low draft picks.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
The NBA is going broke. They're going into a lockout and the league is seeking an NHL style cap because a soft cap is meaningless. All that system has led to is max contracts being handed out every half decent player that hits the market.

The NBA is the hardest league to rebuild in, as well. The Celtics were mired in cap hell for many years with no way out, thats not the way to go. Hard cap with buyouts is the easiest way for everyone.

Last edited by dafoomie: 01-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote