HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Old Time Rangers

Old
01-12-2011, 09:38 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

vCash: 500
Old Time Rangers

Recently been going thru some of my hockey cards from when I was a kid. Never got to see them play much but that must have been some team the Rangers had back in 1971-1974. Every card I had it was either a Park, Ratelle, Giamoncin, Rousseau, Gilbert, Hatfield, Seiling, Fairbain.

With a break here or there that team could have easily won a cup or two. Must been one of best Rangers team's ever. Main thing kept them from a Cup was 3 great teams in league at same time. Bobby Orr and Bruins, Black Hawks had good team also and of course a dynasty in Montreal.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Recently been going thru some of my hockey cards from when I was a kid. Never got to see them play much but that must have been some team the Rangers had back in 1971-1974. Every card I had it was either a Park, Ratelle, Giamoncin, Rousseau, Gilbert, Hatfield, Seiling, Fairbain.

With a break here or there that team could have easily won a cup or two. Must been one of best Rangers team's ever. Main thing kept them from a Cup was 3 great teams in league at same time. Bobby Orr and Bruins, Black Hawks had good team also and of course a dynasty in Montreal.
Flyers were good too, back in those days they didn't change lines every game:
Hadfield-Ratelle-Gilbert, Vickers-Thazcuk-Fairburn, Irvine-Stemkowski-MacGregor, Egers-Rousseau-Butler, Defensive pairs stayed the same also Seiling-Nielson, Park-Rolfe, Harris-Marotte

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Hadfield-Ratelle-Gilbert, Vickers-Thazcuk-Fairburn, Irvine-Stemkowski-MacGregor, Egers-Rousseau-Butler, Defensive pairs stayed the same also Seiling-Nielson, Park-Rolfe, Harris-Marotte
Shows how game has changed...a team with 5-6 hall of famers on it now would be considered a dynasty.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Giacomin

The Rangers were very good back then but with the Canadiens,Bruins Blackhawks and the Flyers they were just notch below. If I remember correctly the Blues made the finals in their first couple of years as they had the expansion teams in a different bracket. With 6 then even 12 teams a lot of teams had 4-5 all timers.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Leetch66

Losing Jean Ratelle to the ankle injury in 72-73 ?...was the biggest downer this team has had that I can remember . IMO...they would have won the Cup that year and would have handled the Bruins but it did not work out and we had to wait about another 20 + years before we tasted victory . Those old cards from the early 70's are nice looking !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I don't remember Butler on this team at that time..who are we forgetting ?

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Those old cards from the early 70's are nice looking !
Some of best sets ever.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
When they lost in the finals in 71-72, none other than or esteemed GM as on the team...Sather and Gene Carr may be who you are thinking of.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Glen Sather (LW), Gene Carr (LW) and Ab Demarco (RD) also saw action in the early 70's

Old
01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Losing Jean Ratelle to the ankle injury in 72-73 ?...was the biggest downer this team has had that I can remember . IMO...they would have won the Cup that year and would have handled the Bruins but it did not work out and we had to wait about another 20 + years before we tasted victory . Those old cards from the early 70's are nice looking !
See if u have a Bobby Orr RC (especially OPC). It's worth at least 3 grand!! Actually that's late 60's.

They lost him (JR) at the end of the 71-72 season. That year they should have won the Cup. The entire GAG line had > 100 pts (except for Gilbert who had 97). In 94', not one player reached 90pts.

I always here stories about those 70's team's and how much better the Rangers and hockey was, compared to even the 90's (let alone anything passed the 21st Century).

One guy especially, always busts balls telling me how much better Hadfield was than Graves, Giacomin > Richter, and (especially) Park > Leetch.

The only knock I've heard repeatedly was on Emile Francis and the fact that he let his team get pushed around by the Flyers too much.

Anyway, look for some good rookie cards and get them graded.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Shows how game has changed...a team with 5-6 hall of famers on it now would be considered a dynasty.
That many hof'ers and 0 Stanley Cups is staggering. There had to be some sort of curse. The Hockey Gods were pissed for 54 years!!

Old
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
See if u have a Bobby Orr RC (especially OPC). It's worth at least 3 grand!! Actually that's late 60's.

They lost him (JR) at the end of the 71-72 season. That year they should have won the Cup. The entire GAG line had > 100 pts (except for Gilbert who had 97). In 94', not one player reached 90pts.

I always here stories about those 70's team's and how much better the Rangers and hockey was, compared to even the 90's (let alone anything passed the 21st Century).

One guy especially, always busts balls telling me how much better Hadfield was than Graves, Giacomin > Richter, and (especially) Park > Leetch.

The only knock I've heard repeatedly was on Emile Francis and the fact that he let his team get pushed around by the Flyers too much.

Anyway, look for some good rookie cards and get them graded.
Ratelle had 46 goals when he went down with the ankle injury easily could have gotten 4 more goals, and would have joined Hadfield in the 50 goal club

Old
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Ratelle had 46 goals when he went down with the ankle injury easily could have gotten 4 more goals, and would have joined Hadfield in the 50 goal club
Clarke probably hacked away at it like he did to Kharlamov in the 1st Summit Series.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Clarke probably hacked away at it like he did to Kharlamov in the 1st Summit Series.
Actually I think he got hit with a Dale Rolfe slapshot

Old
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Definitely had to be a curse!!

Old
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Rolfe's slapshot also hit Barry Ashbee in the eye and ended his career in '74 semifinals...