HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs, Canada's Team or Not?

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Habs, Canada's Team or Not?

It is my pleasure to join this board and issue my first thread. I do not care if there are more Leaf fans in this country right now than Montreal or not. How many Habs fans are in the seats at the ACC and the Coral centre? Out in Edmonton, there are way more Habs fans in the seat than any other team except for maybe the Laughs. I remember in the early 90's there were a lot of Habs out there and when I went to the Oilers game in 1995 to see Roy in net there were roughly at least 8000 Habs fans in the seats and only 6000 Oilers fans. Now, since the Oilers are doing well they have sell outs and there is only 5000 Habs fans. When the Habs become like Ottawa in the next few years, they will be flavor of the week again on TSN, CBC, and Sportsnet.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Welcome to the boards.

I think the Habs are Canada`s team...I think people living in the west would rather cheer for the Habs than the leafs. I know when we still had the Jets it was basically impossible for me to get tickets to the Jets/Habs games. But it was relatively easy to get tickets to alot of other teams. That`s just my opinion people in toronto might disagree. But those leaf fans are just in denial

Old
10-07-2003, 10:26 PM
championhabs

I'm currently living in Australia for the year and clearly out here when it comes to ice hockey Toronto and Wings are the only teams mentioned when I talk about ice hockey with the Aussies. For those Aussies that follow NHL hockey I would say 90% like the Red Wings. So I would have to say from a Down Unders perspective the Leafs are Canada's team.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by championhabs
... I would have to say from a Down Unders perspective the Leafs are Canada's team.
That's fitting, there's no ice in Australia.

Kidding aside, the Habs have hardly been an elite level team the past few years, so it's normal that they get less recognition than others when viewed from far away.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Darz

I don't think the habs OR the leafs are canada's team. Imo, Canada doesn't have ONE team, they have two, they are divided. That is soooo Canada. The Toronto media would like us to beleive that the leafs are Canada's team, but there is a good level of hatred for them outside of Southern Ontario. The habs would definately be Canada's team if they played in another province. There are too many Canadians would don't root/hate the habs because they are in Quebec, and lets face it, the Quebec/rest of Canada relationship hasn't been the best of late.

p.s. oh yeah, Welcome aboard

Old
10-08-2003, 04:50 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
In Ottawa, it`s probably half sens fans, half habs fans. Which is pretty cool. Im going tomorrow and I`ll have the habs jersey and he has the Sens jersey. When the sens fans start saying go Sens go, the habs fans yell even louder go Habs go! Cant wait for tomorrow!

Old
10-08-2003, 04:55 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
In Ottawa, it`s probably half sens fans, half habs fans. Which is pretty cool. Im going tomorrow and I`ll have the habs jersey and he has the Sens jersey. When the sens fans start saying go Sens go, the habs fans yell even louder go Habs go! Cant wait for tomorrow!
Ejaculine, you have one of the weirdest names in here. Where does it come from ? It reminds me of the song Evangeline (by The Band?)
Ejaculine, Ejaculine
Curses the soul of the Mississipi Queen
That stole her heart away

Returning to topic, how can a team called Les Canadiens not be Canada's team ??

Old
10-08-2003, 05:19 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
[QUOTE=Gros Bill]Ejaculine, you have one of the weirdest names in here. Where does it come from ? It reminds me of the song Evangeline (by The Band?)
Ejaculine, Ejaculine
Curses the soul of the Mississipi Queen
That stole her heart away

haha it`s my bowling name. When began Cegep we used to have a bowling night with my friends and a i was somebody had ejaculin as his bowling name on the screen. So I just added the E. I`ve used it for 6 or 7 years now. I never have to worry that somebody will have the same name as me.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

habs are canada team:

because evribody in canada (except Toronto) hate the leaf

Old
10-08-2003, 08:10 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
there are Habs fan in southern Ontario, you just gotta know where to find them. i have a clan of anti-leafs fans at work.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Howie Morenz

I'm sooooo tired of hearing TSN and Spotsnet ramble on about the Laffs.They continually try to shove that team down our throats. You would think they were not just the only team in Canada but in the whole league. Country-wide the Habs are the most popular(as are the other teams). Leafs are dead last in my book.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:23 PM
temporary pencil

Well... I guess they are the "Canadiens" and stuff.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:25 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
The habs are the last canadian team to win the cup, so Montreal being Canada's team is not so irrelevant....right now, Ottawa is clearly the best Canadian team....but being Canada's team in my mind means backing it up with championships and tradition

Old
10-09-2003, 04:55 AM
Russeltown

The Habs are Canada's Team Because :

When they play away in Canada, there always have a lot of Habs fans in the Arena.

When Canucks, Oilers and Flames are coming to Montreal, do we see their fans? NO!

We can see Senators and Leafs fans to Bell Centre.. but the phenom is the same to Corel and Air Canada Centre

Closed Thread