HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking to make another deal

Old
01-12-2011, 10:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Most certainly not... Check Spezza's production on the season...
Yep. Sather has made his "experiment" move by acquiring Wolski, not that I'm against it. Wolski makes around $3.8 million?...and is 24 years old. A lot safer and more reasonable than going after Spezza who has a hefty salary and his production has been questionable over the last couple years.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Most certainly not... Check Spezza's production on the season...
Not that the Rangers are going to get him, but Spezza's production this season has more to do with the Sens as a team than it does Spezza. Poorly coached, poorly constructed. Very little offensive skill on that team outside of Spezza, a 37 year old Alfie, and Karlsson. Guess you can count Kovalev and Gonchar, but they don't play hard very often, especially not on a team that isn't playing in meaningful games.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Not that the Rangers are going to get him, but Spezza's production this season has more to do with the Sens as a team than it does Spezza. Poorly coached, poorly constructed. Very little offensive skill on that team outside of Spezza, a 37 year old Alfie, and Karlsson. Guess you can count Kovalev and Gonchar, but they don't play hard very often, especially not on a team that isn't playing in meaningful games.
There's talent on that team. Regardless of who's coaching them, they have the talent to produce a little bit more than they are. Michalek and Foligno are both good forwards too who just havent played well or at least havent produced. The reason why people suggest Spezza is because the majority here want a playmaker for gaborik. Well it doesnt seem like Spezza is doing that an ottawa because if he was setting those other forwards up they would be putting the puck in the net because they are skilled enough to do so. If he's not setting them up then its most likely because hes not showing up. We dont need that here. I dont care if our status is different because were in a playoff race, you show up every game and produce. He's making $7 million, not producing, and he has battled injuries. There is no reason to make the mistake of bringing him here.

Old
01-12-2011, 10:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
There's talent on that team. Regardless of who's coaching them, they have the talent to produce a little bit more than they are. Michalek and Foligno are both good forwards too who just havent played well or at least havent produced. The reason why people suggest Spezza is because the majority here want a playmaker for gaborik. Well it doesnt seem like Spezza is doing that an ottawa because if he was setting those other forwards up they would be putting the puck in the net because they are skilled enough to do so. If he's not setting them up then its most likely because hes not showing up. We dont need that here. I dont care if our status is different because were in a playoff race, you show up every game and produce. He's making $7 million, not producing, and he has battled injuries. There is no reason to make the mistake of bringing him here.
Foligno is a 3rd liner masquerading as a top six forward. I can't for the life of me understand how he was a first round pick. Michalek is a player who generates offense from his speed, but he looks a few steps slow. He's had some knee injuries if I recall, which is bad news for a player who relies on speed like he does.

Playing defense against the Sens isn't a scary proposition for opposing teams. You don't have to spread your forces thin because outside of Spezza and Alfredsson, they don't offer much. Their second line center, Fisher, is not a playmaker or skill player. More like a Drury type.

If you put Spezza on a better team, I think his numbers go right back to 80-90 points a season. There are legitimate concerns in terms of injuries with him, though. He's a bit fragile.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:13 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I understand that Ottawa has issues/problems.. But if I'm trading any important young assets, it's not going to be for a player who's underachieving in his current situation/circumstances.... Way too big of a gamble and certainly not one that Sather would see as necessary to make. Original Poster who said he worried about that need not have any concerns at all about the issue.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Foligno is a 3rd liner masquerading as a top six forward. I can't for the life of me understand how he was a first round pick. Michalek is a player who generates offense from his speed, but he looks a few steps slow. He's had some knee injuries if I recall, which is bad news for a player who relies on speed like he does.

Playing defense against the Sens isn't a scary proposition for opposing teams. You don't have to spread your forces thin because outside of Spezza and Alfredsson, they don't offer much. Their second line center, Fisher, is not a playmaker or skill player. More like a Drury type.

If you put Spezza on a better team, I think his numbers go right back to 80-90 points a season. There are legitimate concerns in terms of injuries with him, though. He's a bit fragile.
I'm sorry sting36e, I'm just not buying it. I understand what you're saying and your defense of him (not that your promoting us getting him). I just think his numbers are his own fault. I'm not saying he should be producing with the rest of the top players in the league at least the ones that are statistically currently the leaders, but I do believe his numbers should sure as hell be better than what they are. I know Foligno and Michalek arent fantastic players and are just average but they are certainly capable of putting the puck in the net. I just think Spezza's problems are his own. He should be playing better. Now I dont know if its the injury history that has knocked him off his game, but I just dont see the same player that was putting up big numbers years ago. He could come here and be a 60 point player. For $7 million thats not enough.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I'm sorry sting36e, I'm just not buying it. I understand what you're saying and your defense of him (not that your promoting us getting him). I just think his numbers are his own fault. I'm not saying he should be producing with the rest of the top players in the league at least the ones that are statistically currently the leaders, but I do believe his numbers should sure as hell be better than what they are. I know Foligno and Michalek arent fantastic players and are just average but they are certainly capable of putting the puck in the net. I just think Spezza's problems are his own. He should be playing better. Now I dont know if its the injury history that has knocked him off his game, but I just dont see the same player that was putting up big numbers years ago. He could come here and be a 60 point player. For $7 million thats not enough.
Sounds like the exact same situation applies to Gaborik... Not surrounded by a ton of talent but should be performing considerably better on his own accord....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Sounds like the exact same situation applies to Gaborik... Not surrounded by a ton of talent but should be performing considerably better on his own accord....
i agree..your right it does. i'm not giving him a free pass either. i think gabby is a little bit more on the cusp of getting out of this slump than spezza is. he has been getting more chances lately just not finishing.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
newest from incarcerated bob:

*************** incarcerated bob
**NHL RUMORS** Besides Iginla > Rangers have supreme interest in (Defenseman) Robyn Regehr - Flames could package both in a huge deal soon

makes sense.

*edit*

more from bob:

**NHL RUMORS** Sources have confirmed Flames scouts will be in the building tonight @ MSG (+ They will attend Philly game) its getting hot

Last edited by Rust Heisenberg: 01-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Name that I haven't heard mentioned in any rumors, but I think would make sense for #NYR: Anton Babchuk
I wish. I've hoped that the Rangers would acquire Babchuk for about two seasons now.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
I wish. I've hoped that the Rangers would acquire Babchuk for about two seasons now.
I'm honestly more interested in Jamie McBain. That kid is going to be a stud.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post

**NHL RUMORS** Besides Iginla > Rangers have supreme interest in (Defenseman) Robyn Regehr - Flames could package both in a huge deal soon

makes sense.

*edit*

more from bob:

**NHL RUMORS** Sources have confirmed Flames scouts will be in the building tonight @ MSG (+ They will attend Philly game) its getting hot
Left-handed shot, signed for 2 more season's after this, 4M cap hit. Unless we're talking about something like Gilroy+EC+Pick, I'm not interested. Love his big hits though, he'll certainly add some jam on our blueline. Just not sure I'm willing to commit to that salary.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

lol
Iginla
Regehr

for
Gaborik
Gilroy

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Left-handed shot, signed for 2 more season's after this, 4M cap hit. Unless we're talking about something like Gilroy+EC+Pick, I'm not interested. Love his big hits though, he'll certainly add some jam on our blueline. Just not sure I'm willing to commit to that salary.
Regehr for 4 mil is a good deal IMO. At the worst, it's fair price for him. If we're not sending Drury though, you can pretty much rule out Richards.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't quite believe we'll be going for Iginla. It really seems that we are making a legitimate youth movement on this team... HOWEVER... Iginla is a Torts type of player. Too bad his cap hit is so high, we would be unable to fit him under the cap.

I think Regher is more likely. We have an additional 1.2 mill in cap space. If we put Prospal and Boogard on injury reserve for rest of the year we open up at least another 3-4 in addition to the salaries we would be sending on the back.

If Gilroy maintains this play I find it hard to believe that he wouldnt be considered an asset in any potential trade. I could see Gilroy and maybe Grachev, or Gilroy and a 2nd or 3rd for Regehr.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I think Regher is more likely. We have an additional 1.2 mill in cap space. If we put Prospal and Boogard on injury reserve for rest of the year we open up at least another 3-4 in addition to the salaries we would be sending on the back.
No, we don't. IR doesn't work that way. Putting them on IR would enable us to go 4.625 mil over the cap (prorated based on the number of days left in the season). But it would also mean using the bonus cushion and rolling bonuses over into next year. We aren't doing that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
ocarina

Quote:

makes sense.

*edit*

more from bob:

This incarcerated bob guy really needs to stop.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
freewheeler

Gonchar?

I'm sure this will be unpopular, but what about Gonchar? He's older, and has a thick contract, but he put up great points last year, and IMO will be able to hack it for at least a few more years. He gives us a great PP point man, and not to mention veteran leadership, at least from an offensive standpoint. From what I can recall, his defense is far from a liability. What a great 1-2 on the PP point: Gonchar and the protege MDZ. We would have to send some salary back - and to Sather's credit there are not too many candidates left - but anyone like the idea?

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yboldt14 View Post
I'm sure this will be unpopular, but what about Gonchar? He's older, and has a thick contract, but he put up great points last year, and IMO will be able to hack it for at least a few more years. He gives us a great PP point man, and not to mention veteran leadership, at least from an offensive standpoint. From what I can recall, his defense is far from a liability. What a great 1-2 on the PP point: Gonchar and the protege MDZ. We would have to send some salary back - and to Sather's credit there are not too many candidates left - but anyone like the idea?
Absolutely not. Gonchar is brutal. Sens fans hate him.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

makes sense.

*edit*

more from bob:

I'll have the Supreme Interest burrito, sour cream and salsa please!

Seriously though, Regehr would be tremendous!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Blueblood 2

Gaborik to LA talks again, according to the EKster. Lombardi way to slow on the trigger, if you ask me. Nothing ever happens with him.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

We are in the 2nd year of a 5 year deal with Gaborik. He was great for us this year, there are no indications that he's in torts dog house, and if he was it would still be way too dramatic to trade him this early. He's obviously injured, I don't understand how we are considering moving him... unless we get some unbelievable prospect who's projected to be better than him...

Old
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Watch Sather flip Gaborik to LA in a three team deal with Calgary that involves Iginla, Regehr, and Schenn coming to NYC.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I mentioned it in another thread but:

Philips
Pitkanen
Kaberle
Carkner
Allen
Kuba
McCabe

In that order.
Kaberle isn't going anywhere, Burke will not ask him to waive his no trade clause.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Watch Sather flip Gaborik to LA in a three team deal with Calgary that involves Iginla, Regehr, and Schenn coming to NYC.
Hows Brayden Schenn projected to pan out in the NHL?