HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils vs Bruins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Vanya

vCash: 500
Hey guys, just got back from the game...

I quickly read through the posts, but yeah... Martin was absolutely horrible. He joined the rush in the second period only to be caught down ice which resulted in a B's chance. And that Thornton goal... And... (uh) he was on the ice for the game tying goal.

He REALLY looked out of place out there. He desperately needs a year of seasoning, or at least some time spent at Albany to get uised to the pro speed.

But anyway, enough about Martin... :p

The power play was solid, I still can't believe how that showed up. The rest of the team was pretty much business as usual, but I think it'll be a while before I get used to Erik Rassussem as a Devil. Not that he was bad or anything, it just seemed awkward to me.

I thought Gomez played with some spunk...

Ok, I can't even think right now, I'm so tired. It's been a long night of screaming things like "3 Cups, 9 years" and "Where were you in '72!" to dip$hit Bruins fans who taunted me by telling me how much my team sucked. Ahhh, Boston...

Ok, one road game, one point. Could be worse, but this is a game we should have won.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
DevilFisch

Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
Devils PP # 1 in the NHL yea baby

what a game for Scotty, Erik, Gomer, Elias,

Bad games: MARTIN............

SO-SO games: Marty didnt have his usual Martin game, but he played well on some saves

At least we got a point on the road, should have been 2 but its ok its only the 1st game
True. The Gionta-Rasmussen-Berglund line played rather well. And Elias-Gomez-Marshall were getting chances. Niedermayer was the best Devil out there, by far. Larionov looked well with Brylin and especially on the power play. Forwards totalled 35 shots, but the Devils allowed 31. Eh, guess the defense needs to step it up?

It's only one game, but it's the one that's going to set the tone! NOW ONTO CAROLINA!

Old
10-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilFisch
True. The Gionta-Rasmussen-Berglund line played rather well.

I'd be interested in the ice time numbers, because that line seemed to be out there ALL THE TIME.

Berglund's gonna *have* to have an impact with this team due to his ice time. Now it can be a positive impact or a negative... Here's to the former...

Old
10-08-2003, 06:49 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vanya
I'd be interested in the ice time numbers, because that line seemed to be out there ALL THE TIME.

Berglund's gonna *have* to have an impact with this team due to his ice time. Now it can be a positive impact or a negative... Here's to the former...
berglund only had 12:45. gionta 13:19.

Looked to me like berglund didn't get much ice time late in the game. still, i thought he looked pretty good.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
berglund only had 12:45. gionta 13:19.

Looked to me like berglund didn't get much ice time late in the game. still, i thought he looked pretty good.

That's pretty interesting. I certainly noticed him (Berglund) every time he was out there then! Wow, I thought he had more than 13 minutes... I guess that's a good thing then...

Old
10-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Things started off really well, then the guys kinda seemed to hit the wall. I liked the line combos tonight too. Berglund impressed, and man Scott Niedermayer is a machine. What a goal. Martin obviously needs time in Albany. I guess they just wanted to see if he was ready for the big show, but evidently he's not. He has a bright future in NJ, just not right now......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
10-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Niedermayer21

As much as I hate to admit it, this game could have used Turner Stevenson to throw his big body around and change the momentum. We need a "Crash Line" with some skill, like Brylin, Rheaume, and Stevenson were in the playoffs.

I really like Rasmussen between Berglund and Gionta. The reason we all noticed them out there was because they did SOMETHING!!! every time they were on the ice. Either created a scoring chance or threw the body. Definitely our best line, which is not a great sign.

Niedermayer was awesome. What can I say? Glad you guys didn't trade him early last year. Also, glad Lou is making the decisions!

Paul Martin needs some time in Albany, as we can all see. And I would send Hale down, too. Let them play together for a few months. I think the organization wants them to get a little taste of the NHL before they are sent down. I'm okay with that, as long as they don't lose their confidence, which is hard to regain.

I would like to see these line combos in the future:

Friesen--Gomez--Langenbrunner
Elias--Larionov/Rupp--Brylin/Marshall (Eventually Suglobov)
Pandolfo--Madden--Marshall/Brylin
Berglund--Rasmussen--Gionta/Stevenson (This line could cause opponents fits!!!)

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Giroux/Albelin/Sean Brown
Hale and Martin see action after February 1st if I were running things.

Brodeur
(Still has to work on wrap-arounds. Played ok. Wouldn't trade him for any other goalie in the league. Also, has to stop coughing up the puck. He is starting to over-handle it when he should just dumb it into the corner. Hey, he's an all-time great. Can't expect perfection every night. But it is nice to see when he is at the top of his game. Hope Burns only plays him in 60-65, but he will probably play in 70+ again).
Schwab

One game down, plenty more to go, especially if we make the playoffs again, as we should. But I'll never forget 1996. That hurt!

Old
10-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Brodeur

Hrm, my random thoughts:

- Looks like lots of rust on both sides.

- Joe Thornton is an animal.

- Why Hale and Martin as a pairing?

- Glad I'm not GM, I would have traded Niedermayer last year, and been telling the fans that Tverdovsky will turn it around soon.

- Brodeur had a subpar game.

- I picked Jeff Jillson in my Small World league, steal at 1.1 million!

- Rasmussen showed me more tonight than he did all year with the Kings.

- Game 1 of hopefully 100+

Old
10-09-2003, 12:30 AM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
They looked so sharp for the first half of the game. They were making tape to tape passes and flying through the neutral zone. They controlled the flow of the game and when they scored the second goal I thought the game was over. Sadly, for as good as Berglund played, his roughing penalty seemed to be the turning point of the game. Since then the Devils couldn't seem to make good passes and frequently coffed up the puck in the neutral zone. Boston totally dominated the second half of the game and the Devils are actually lucky to have earned a point as they played horrible in the 3rd period and overtime(despite the lucky fluke goal Niedermayer scored). All in all the only good thing about the game was Niedermayer. I'd like to say the success on the powerplay impressed me but it really didn't as the goals were more the result of good individual efforts(Niedermayers nifty move and Friesen just slamming the puck by Potvin) as oppossed to the result of good puck movement and perfectly timed shots. Brodeur was average. He let in a few shots that he could have stopped but he also made some good saves. Hopefully, the team can play a full hockey game in Carolina.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:31 AM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
As much as I hate to admit it, this game could have used Turner Stevenson to throw his big body around and change the momentum. We need a "Crash Line" with some skill, like Brylin, Rheaume, and Stevenson were in the playoffs.
Ya know, your 100% right! A little added hitting to go up against Sandy McCarthy would have been a very good thing. Sandy drew penalties that worked out for the Bruins. Lets hope Turner gets better soon.

Closed Thread