HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Even if he took penalties today , am I the only one that thought he played good anyway? If he can step up the mental part of his game what's stopping him from becoming a real star? If he can get enough confidance for a long enough period of time that could just convince him and who knows what could happen after.The guy clearly has all the skills necessary not to mention he's not small.Same could be said about AK46 but I have more hope Pouliot can actually acheive that at this point.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
He looked good. He has the skill and the size, but the desire is...

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:23 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

if he keeps playing the way he is right now, I can see him as AK replacement next season next to Plek and Camm

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:24 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Not only does Pouliot have confidence issues, but he also has the hockey sense of a brick. Unless those two things change (it's hard to teach hockey sense though), he'll never become a star.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:25 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I prefer him staying aways from Cammalleri , too much pressure to pass the puck to mister ''I'm the goal scorer here'' Cammalleri.I want Pouliot to have control of the puck and have offensive freedom.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Even if he took penalties today , am I the only one that thought he played good anyway? If he can step up the mental part of his game what's stopping him from becoming a real star? If he can get enough confidance for a long enough period of time that could just convince him and who knows what could happen after.The guy clearly has all the skills necessary not to mention he's not small.Same could be said about AK46 but I have more hope Pouliot can actually acheive that at this point.
I think he's arrived as an NHL player at least, which is good, and he could have a long career as a useful player as long as he wants it. It wouldn't shock me if he either was a very good top-6 player in five years or not in the league altogether, and it'll never be because he couldn't hack it. I've been really happy with him this season. One of the knocks on him from some Minny fans when he was struggling to make the Wild was that he seemed to lack a basic desire. He seems to have rediscovered that here, I just want to see it prolonged.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Kriss E

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pouliot has been one of our best and more consistent players since the beginning of the year. I never understood why Martin removed him from the 2nd line after three games. He was the better of the three players on that line, so it made me upset. But I'm very happy with him so far.

Plekanec, our best forward, is producing a point every 25.59 minutes. Pouliot, is scoring a point every 26.07 minutes.
Of course, I'm not taking into consideration the difference in the quality of opponents they each face. Plek's line will get a lot more attention than Halpern's or Eller's.
Still, Pouliot is having a great season in my eyes.

I can only hope they will keep him with Plek and place Cammy there instead of Darche. To be honest, I wish Martin would make AK play with Plek/Pouliot for now, I believe those three players would be able to create some great things as they can all move the puck rather well. Cammy is more of the shooter and this year, I often feel like he hesitates before passing it to AK. It always seems like his first option is to shot, then pass to Plek, then carry it, or then pass it to AK.
I have no issues with Darche though, he's had a terrific year so far, but we have to think ahead and establishing a solid top 6 is more important than having a good 3rd line. The ideal situation is obviously for Gauthier to move AK, but until this happens, we have to start solidifying our offense.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:28 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Not only does Pouliot have confidence issues, but he also has the hockey sense of a brick. Unless those two things change (it's hard to teach hockey sense though), he'll never become a star.
I disagree with this statement , when the confidance his hockey IQ tends to get low but when on I think he sees the ice very well.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:29 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I prefer him staying aways from Cammalleri , too much pressure to pass the puck to mister ''I'm the goal scorer here'' Cammalleri.I want Pouliot to have control of the puck and have offensive freedom.
we ALL know by now hom much you hate Camm, no need to show it every single time his name is mentionned on the boards.

Unless the plan was to "destroy" the topic you just created of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pouliot has been one of our best and more consistent players since the beginning of the year. I never understood why Martin removed him from the 2nd line after three games. He was the better of the three players on that line, so it made me upset. But I'm very happy with him so far.

Plekanec, our best forward, is producing a point every 25.59 minutes. Pouliot, is scoring a point every 26.07 minutes.
Of course, I'm not taking into consideration the difference in the quality of opponents they each face. Plek's line will get a lot more attention than Halpern's or Eller's.
Still, Pouliot is having a great season in my eyes.

I can only hope they will keep him with Plek and place Cammy there instead of Darche.
I have no issues with Darche, he's had a terrific year so far, but we have to think ahead and establishing a solid top 6 is more important than having a good 3rd line. The ideal situation is obviously for Gauthier to move AK, but until this happens, we have to start solidifying our offense.
the kid has confidence issue and was with two guys who were playing like ****. In his case It was a good move IMO.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I like him. He's a big body who skates well, and is an effective forechecker. We all know about his natural skills.

I dont think he will be a consistent top 6 in the league but his defensive play and over all work ethic is vastly improved, which makes him a versatile asset for the club.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:33 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

they need to give him whatever could help his confidence I don't care what , psychologist , ice time , encouragements , yelling at him , just make it happen

Old
01-13-2011, 01:35 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I like him. He's a big body who skates well, and is an effective forechecker. We all know about his natural skills.

I dont think he will be a consistent top 6 in the league but his defensive play and over all work ethic is vastly improved, which makes him a versatile asset for the club.
well, his on pace for close to 40 pts in his 2nd full season only... and that is with 3rd line duties and barely no PP time (compared to most 1st and 2nd liners)

Old
01-13-2011, 01:36 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Cammalleri is not Kovalev.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:39 AM
coolasprICE

I can definitely see Eller + Pouliot dominate as a duo in year or two. Throw in a better version of Darche and you got a top line.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:40 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Cammalleri is not Kovalev.
I know that , unfortunately.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:45 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Whats your beef with Cammy? Really? From all I've seen your just completely irrational about your hate for Cammy.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:56 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Whats your beef with Cammy? Really? From all I've seen your just completely irrational about your hate for Cammy.
I guess you could say there's both a rational and irrationnal part of my hate for him , on top of having to deal with everybody overrating him around me.I sleep well anyway.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:20 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Really? I've seen this guy's creativity and ability to open up d and make a play pretty often. You see it with his deflection passes, a subtle move to draw teams towards him then deflect the pass to gionta who goes on a semi-break. Honestly, it's puzzling to say he has no hockey sense. He's a supremely talented player who has a plethora of skills.

I will say this though, Pouliot is a project and hasn't put everything all together yet, but his talent and ability is undeniable.

Confidence and consistency is the name of his weaknesses, Hockey IQ is far from being one.

Quote:
You mean fortunately. I hate kovalev...well, I don't 'hate' him, i just dislike when he plays for the habs.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
explains it all

Old
01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The mental part of the game is what's held him back for the last 4 years. He should sit next game after his dumb penalities.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Megaforce

He's still young too at 24. His best years are upcoming, as athletes usually hit their top years from about 27-31. He already has good reach, so he's not one of those Quebecois midgets like Briere who are done as soon as they lose a step.

Soon he will have more beef on those bones, as well as his body matures. I suspect he could be the closest thing we have to a French-Canadian superstar in the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be shocked if he got up to 35 goals and played on the top power play unit eventually.

He reminds me a bit of Lecavalier, but Pouliot has more points this year at a fraction of the cost.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
explains it all
No one can help if the boy likes kovalev over Cammy.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Not sure about being a "Star" but he has all the tools to be a very good 2nd liner. Has the size, ok hands and a very heavy shot. Needs to keep working hard and he will get rewarded but has work to do

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:06 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Lately he has been our best player, earlier in the year I was thinking if we could trade Pouliot. Story of his career

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
What do you base your evaluation on? Tell us how you conclude he lacks hockey sense. It's not apparent to fans who are less knowledgeable than you.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote