HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Leafs - 01/10/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-13-2011, 01:36 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Here is where our views, filter, whatever; part. We have improved tremendously. We have improved so much that we are having these kinds of arguments. Our expectations have been raised that high
My expectations were raised by a GM making promises he has yet to keep. Sure we are better. Could we have gotten worse? The coach's simplistic system has become outdated by the clutch-and-grab free hockey of the post lockout era

Quote:
The Kings are not getting worse. They are base lining at a higher level - where our expectations are higher. They have yet to hit their peak. The best this team can play was probably the Sharks game. But, learning how to play at that level and maintain it for 60 minutes and game after game is tough work. But this team can get there. I've not thought that about a Kings team. Ever. .
From the beginning of the season we have gotten worse and despite every player saying the "right thing" are they doing it?

Quote:
This group, this franchise, is close to becoming an elite franchise that is always in the mix for a cup. Murray's system works. It's not exciting (although some games are crazy good). But it can win playoff games 1-0. That's how you win championships.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I've seen elite teams, and this one isn't close to being among them. A few mid season gem type games and a first round playoff exit lasr year don't indicate proximity to elite status in my book. Let's renew this discussion when they WIN a single playoff round or, luck be with us, two, because luck is exactly what this team will need to get that far.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 01-13-2011 at 01:41 AM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Actually, based on off season moves, the Sharks were on their way down and the Kings should have been on the rise. The Sharks were not going to be as dominating as they have been in the regular season, just like Chicago. You could see the changes for both teams were going to negatively affect them. I don't care about past performance. This is just from last year to this year. With the off season moves of the Pacific division, I expected a division championship and if the organization is happy with less, then there is a bigger problem around this team.
That was the media buzz over the summer. That the Kings were going to be better than the Sharks and the Hawks this year. And you know what? For the most part, they have been. We're four points back from Chicago with three games in hand. San Jose is tied with us having played two more games and have been shut out seven times. Both teams are playing similar hockey. I think that keeping heel with the Sharks and Hawks is a fine place to be, particularly with the upcoming road trip and how well this team did on the road at the end of last season.

Quote:
If you were hoping for a fringe playoff team, then I can understand why you are happy with Murray.

The Kings should not be regressing right now.
This is not a fringe playoff team as a result of anything except the tight standings in the west. If the Kings win two games, once the games played even out, they'll be in the 7th spot, above the Hawks. That's including the two big losing streaks early in the season and the insane parity.

The team is not regressing, they're just in the middle of a losing streak. They looked pretty damn good just before the end of 2010, and if you had said the team was regressing at that time, it'd seem silly. It's just ebbs and flows.

Quote:
Dean came to the Kings and promised to change the culture of losing and become a legit team by year 5 of his tenure. This is now year 5 and the team is getting worst, did they peak last year? Was that the best this current roster can do?
Do you really think this year's team is as bad as these teams?

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...000402004.html
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...000402006.html

Not to mention how stocked our pipeline is. This organization is lightyears ahead of where it was previously.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:01 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Are you guys ****ing serious? The kings CLEARLY outplayed the Leafs. They have the 3rd best goal differential in the western conference.

It's as if you guys refuse to watch games!

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Josh, did you look at the stats that Hammond posted on his blog? This is the best the team can get with Murray at the helm. All of the major stats are identical to last season, no improvement. So it is either that the players are as good as they can get or the coach is not getting enough out of them. If Lombradi believes the former, he needs to make a bold move and improve the roster on paper. I've heard that the players like playing for Murray, yet they do not show it on the ice. They play like they want him gone.

The Kings made the playoffs last year because of their mid-season 9 game winning streak. Do you see this team making that same kind of run? After this disastrous home stand, I'm not so sure. This was their chance to get some points before their February road trip.

Can this team make the playoffs this season? Sure, but I believe that Murray is not the coach to get them to the Stanley Cup finals.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by great job View Post
Are you guys ****ing serious? The kings CLEARLY outplayed the Leafs. They have the 3rd best goal differential in the western conference.

It's as if you guys refuse to watch games!
It's not that the Kings don't play well and at times dominate games. The problem is the lack of concentration during stretches of games that allows plays like the Kessel goal to occur that is killing this team.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:54 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post

This is not a fringe playoff team as a result of anything except the tight standings in the west. If the Kings win two games, once the games played even out, they'll be in the 7th spot, above the Hawks. That's including the two big losing streaks early in the season and the insane parity.
I ranted about this two summers ago. Its not good enough each off season to just get a little better and hope for progression from your youth. Every team is doing that. Hence the parity in the western conference. We need to JUMP AHEAD, not just keep pace with.
Quote:
The team is not regressing, they're just in the middle of a losing streak. They looked pretty damn good just before the end of 2010, and if you had said the team was regressing at that time, it'd seem silly. It's just ebbs and flows.
Those are two relatively serious ebbs without a great amount of flow between them. And we certainly are regressing if you track from the start of the season.

Quote:
Not to mention how stocked our pipeline is. This organization is lightyears ahead of where it was previously.
All things being relative, sure we are ahead of where we were. To NOT have gotten better yuo'd have to be one of those rare GM's who are capable of falling out of a boat and and not hitting water. Yes our pipeline is stocked with centers, defenseman and goalie's, but please let me know when you find that sniper in our pipeline that has a shot to realy boost this team and play line 1 with Kopitar. I am big on Kozun (pun intended) but he is small by today's standards and very few have him projected out to play top minutes in the NHL.

There are holes AND there is a system failure. One is the responsibility of the GM, the other shared by the players and coach. Another problem is the unadaptability of a coach from the pre-lockout era how has little emotion and even less clue about how to spark and motivate his team. Nor can he fathom simple line combo's to maximize his players strengths and minimize their weaknesses. (I know I am not the only one here who thought of cold molasses slowly dripping or the tortoise vs. the hare when I saw Smyth and Handzus on the same line? Or what the hell the Big Dog was doing on the first line, or who cringes watching Westgarth do about what Ivanans used to [nothing])

But, hey, everything is fine. No problem here. Its normal for a team to suck for a while and then storm through the playoffs. Philly did it (but they are far deeper than we are).

No one will be happier than me to see that be the truth of the matter, but I think its blind (and aseless) faith to think that this team and its coach are just great and have never been better.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I ranted about this two summers ago. Its not good enough each off season to just get a little better and hope for progression from your youth. Every team is doing that. Hence the parity in the western conference. We need to JUMP AHEAD, not just keep pace with.

Those are two relatively serious ebbs without a great amount of flow between them. And we certainly are regressing if you track from the start of the season.

All things being relative, sure we are ahead of where we were. To NOT have gotten better yuo'd have to be one of those rare GM's who are capable of falling out of a boat and and not hitting water. Yes our pipeline is stocked with centers, defenseman and goalie's, but please let me know when you find that sniper in our pipeline that has a shot to realy boost this team and play line 1 with Kopitar. I am big on Kozun (pun intended) but he is small by today's standards and very few have him projected out to play top minutes in the NHL.

There are holes AND there is a system failure. One is the responsibility of the GM, the other shared by the players and coach. Another problem is the unadaptability of a coach from the pre-lockout era how has little emotion and even less clue about how to spark and motivate his team. Nor can he fathom simple line combo's to maximize his players strengths and minimize their weaknesses. (I know I am not the only one here who thought of cold molasses slowly dripping or the tortoise vs. the hare when I saw Smyth and Handzus on the same line? Or what the hell the Big Dog was doing on the first line, or who cringes watching Westgarth do about what Ivanans used to [nothing])

But, hey, everything is fine. No problem here. Its normal for a team to suck for a while and then storm through the playoffs. Philly did it (but they are far deeper than we are).

No one will be happier than me to see that be the truth of the matter, but I think its blind (and aseless) faith to think that this team and its coach are just great and have never been better.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote