HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
DDIHH

vCash: 500
Only if he's traded to Dallas. Otherwise, I think he can be a very decent NHLer.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Toro

He is very tough to contain when he is on. I hope he keeps improving cause he can be a beast out there.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:42 AM

I like the progress he's shown this year, he's on pace for about 18-20 goals and 40pts, which for a 3rd liner is solid. I think the Habs are going to have to stay patient with Pouliot, because I think the day he 'gets it' he'll be a very good player.

He's got all the tools and I would hate for him to blossom elsewhere...keep playing him in his current, less pressurized position, and he'll be fine IMO.

He still needs to add more weight to his frame though, he looses the puck way too often.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:43 AM
yobro

lets not get excited boys. over the last handful of games he has scored a couple of clutch goals and has been RELATIVELY good compared to his teammates. it does not change the fact that he is far from being a star. its akin to the 9 year old taking over the ice rink after the older kids have left for the day.

benoit pouliot has has a few OK games. get real.

yobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Evil Ted

He has all the tallent and good size but he lacks what most guys on the cusp need and that is motivation or consistant intensity. Certainly this is a intangeable that can be learned or aquired having said that I think that he has been playing good because of the guys getting called up that are putting the pressure.

Kostitsyn is a player who is almost the same a pouls he has tallent but just lacks the 6th gear required to bring on a consistant basis.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Not only does Pouliot have confidence issues, but he also has the hockey sense of a brick. Unless those two things change (it's hard to teach hockey sense though), he'll never become a star.
He's no Gretzky or Fedorov but the hockey sense of a brick? I think you're exagerating. He's not that bad, what makes you say that?

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
MathMan

He might develop into a solid 2nd liner, but a star forward would be pushing it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
zzoo

I like Pouliot. He's getting better and better.
But at certain moment, I thought A.Kostitsyn, Higgins and Perezhogin will be a very good player too.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:08 AM
MTL-rules

He's another AK... loads of talent, but lacks desire, consistancy and the heart of a true winner...

I'm done with AK, I was patient with him, now soon to be 26yo, been doing the same thing over and over again with no improvement, so let's move on...

Pouilot is 2 years younger and been with the team for a little more than a year... so I'll give him 2 or 3 years to see if he improves and can become the player he can be or that AK could have been...

I like what I see from him with no pressure on the bottom lines, but I'd like to see him succeed as a Top 6 forward.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I can definitely see Eller + Pouliot dominate as a duo in year or two. Throw in a better version of Darche and you got a top line.
Avtsin?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Nedved

maybe. maybe not.

let's watch and find out.

Nedved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
He's no Gretzky or Fedorov but the hockey sense of a brick? I think you're exagerating. He's not that bad, what makes you say that?
Yeah, I was definitely exaggerating. The reason I said that is because he's such a frustrating player to watch. I can't even count how many times I catch him just mindlessly wandering on the ice like he has absolutely no idea what he's supposed to be doing.

Maybe he's not a dumb player but there's something that's definitely lacking up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
What do you base your evaluation on? Tell us how you conclude he lacks hockey sense. It's not apparent to fans who are less knowledgeable than you.
No need to be a dick.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I love Poulio and I have no idea why Martin doesn't give him any more chances on the first 2 lines, even tho I don't hate to see him play with Eller.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Jigger77

I think he's just realizing now that he's bigger than everyone and that his shot is above average.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Forsead

Well I would say that since he is a habs Pouliot improved his physical play, also in general he has work hard, he also is more and more near the net. Now, often he is backchecking hard and he is now okay in his zone, while he was a liability.

Some people are saying that he lack desire and dive, I personnally don't know how you can say that, you don't know him and he has been a good worker this season.

Has to his upside well he has talent and in the NHL you never know look at Burrows at 24 he was a fourth liner and he is now a top 6 forward, so I think pouliot can end up as a third liner, top 6 forward or even as a superstar. If I had to bet I would say he will be a 30 goals, 30 assists top 6 forward.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Has to his upside well he has talent and in the NHL you never know look at Burrows at 24 he was a fourth liner and he is now a top 6 forward, so I think pouliot can end up as a third liner, top 6 forward or even as a superstar. If I had to bet I would say he will be a 30 goals, 30 assists top 6 forward.
I'd be pretty over the moon if he does become that. That's about the top of what I'd expect.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Not only does Pouliot have confidence issues, but he also has the hockey sense of a brick.
Aha don't take it personally, but I really wanted to post this picture, just for the lulz.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:11 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

^^^ His finger looks so deformed

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I'd be pretty over the moon if he does become that. That's about the top of what I'd expect.
Well I think you will agree that he has the shot and the talent to be that kind of player. Also if he finish the season with 40 pts I don't why he couldn't do a 60 pts season later.

Also Interesting to add that he has now played 82 games as a Habs and he got 24 goal and 44 points, it's good for a 23-24 years old guy.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
neofury*

I wonder if somebody hypnotized a player like that (who has low self esteem etc) into being super overconfident what would happen. We'd get to see the real effects of confidence

Seriously though I think it would be fun to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well I think you will agree that he has the shot and the talent to be that kind of player. Also if he finish the season with 40 pts I don't why he couldn't do a 60 pts season later.

Also Interesting to add that he has now played 82 games as a Habs and he got 24 goal and 44 points, it's good for a 23-24 years old guy.

Don't say that You just gave Pouliot the Chris Higgins curse

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
odishabs

Pouliot is probably our most skilled forward. I hope consistency arrives for our sake and his own!

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I wonder if somebody hypnotized a player like that (who has low self esteem etc) into being super overconfident what would happen. We'd get to see the real effects of confidence

Seriously though I think it would be fun to see.

Don't say that You just gave Pouliot the Chris Higgins curse
Well I don't really know how much does hypnotization can be effective, but it would be interesting indeed. It also can create a debate, because I think sports teams does not use enough since to improve all their methods. As an exemple there is alot in psychology on self confidence, perhaps some players would be better if they would have some time with a professional.

Well Higgins was pretty good with us minus his last season. I still think he can be a 25-25 guy perhaps 1-2 more time in his career and he seem back on track. remember that the guy in 2007-2008 was a 25-25 two-way top 6 forward, so in others works a very effective and usefull player in a lineup.

Yeah 1000 posts !

Old
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I prefer him staying aways from Cammalleri , too much pressure to pass the puck to mister ''I'm the goal scorer here'' Cammalleri.I want Pouliot to have control of the puck and have offensive freedom.
On this team?

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Pleky Roks

Pouliot is a beast!!! He's a big guy with a ton of skill....he just needs the right linemates and to be used in the correct way and he'll be a great player someday for the Habs.

He wasn't drafted 4th overall the same year Crosby was drafted for nothing....he's a good player with potential. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and not be injured for the next couple of seasons so he can find his game.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
ChikN

Saying he has OK hands is crazy... This guy's got fast and smooth hands, and pulls some sweet dekes every game.

ChikN is offline   Reply With Quote