HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Even I can tell that the color scheme is retarded.

I love your own colorblind joke posts, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
In no lifetime would I ever willingly wear something with 'BIMBO' pasted on my chest.
I was thinking of grabbing a jersey at some point regardless. I'll just now TRY to get one before they slap Bimbo on everything, but it doesnt bother me much. I just wish the colors were set to black and white so the logo colors wouldnt clash with the jersey. That's what bothers me.

If the best thing a Red Bulls fan can do is call me a "Bimbo" because it's on my shirt, then who gives a **** what they think?

Old
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
CantSeeColors

These kits would have looked a hell of a lot better with Wawa across the front. It was probably a pipedream but I was really hoping for that.

Old
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
These kits would have looked a hell of a lot better with Wawa across the front. It was probably a pipedream but I was really hoping for that.
Agreed. Come on Wawa, step it up. Maybe when the Bimbo deal ends in 4 years, Wawa can step in, haha

Old
01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Agreed. Come on Wawa, step it up. Maybe when the Bimbo deal ends in 4 years, Wawa can step in, haha
Or if we're going to stick with bread products, at least get Amoroso on there.

Old
01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
They just got handed $12 mill to put the logo on front. Jersey sales are a secondary concern. Hopefully they slightly modify the logo to make it look more in line with the rest of the jersey.
Exactly...we're talking about a company that employee 15k+ people in the US. They have the money to pay for it. And it allows the Union the flexibility to bring in better players or invest more in infrastructure development. I could care less about the name of the brand on the shirt.

Old
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
Exactly...we're talking about a company that employee 15k+ people in the US. They have the money to pay for it. And it allows the Union the flexibility to bring in better players or invest more in infrastructure development. I could care less about the name of the brand on the shirt.
This is how I see it also.

The Union, a 2nd year MLS squad, just scored a jersey deal worth more then HALF of the English Premier League jersey deals.

Let that stew for a bit.

Old
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Quote:

The Union, a 2nd year MLS squad, just scored a jersey deal worth more then HALF of the English Premier League jersey deals.

Let that stew for a bit.
Exactly.

And you pronounce Bimbo, "Beembo".

Old
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Start Leighton*

So if they play bad can instead of the Philadelphia Union chant can we chant Philadelphia Bimbo's?

Old
01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
agrudez*

Quote:

Let that stew for a bit.
Wow, that is pretty impressive.

It will still get soccer fans stuffed in lockers in high school (even more) if they wear a jersey that says "Bimbo" on the chest.

No one even knows what 'Bimbo' stands for off the top of their heads, why didn't they put 'Arnold' (the bread they make) since that is a more recognizable quantity.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Wow, that is pretty impressive.

It will still get soccer fans stuffed in lockers in high school (even more) if they wear a jersey that says "Bimbo" on the chest.

No one even knows what 'Bimbo' stands for off the top of their heads, why didn't they put 'Arnold' (the bread they make) since that is a more recognizable quantity.
Easy, BIMBO wants to launch the BIMBO brand in the States this year. BIMBO is already popular in Latin America. Why use one of there many brands when they can be just use the BIMBO name. The list of companies BIMBO owns is insane. It literally owns almost every baked good in the grocery store and most people dont even know that. That's part of the reason they made this deal and are putting BIMBO billboards on I-95.

BIMBO brands:
Arnold
Bimbo
Boboli
Brownberry
Entenmann's
Francisco
Feihofer's
Marinela
Mrs Baird's
Oroweat
Stroehmann
Thomas'
Tia rosa
Old Country
Weber's

and they distribute bread for

Sun Maid
Roman Meal
Milton's
Cinnabon

There is talk of them buying Tastykake. Why pick one of the brands when you can raise awareness of the entire company?

Old
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
KevinLin

Zac Macmath...hope this works out better than the last U of Maryland gk the Union had.

Ah...I want the Union to trade up and get another first rounder.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
KevinLin

Feel so bad for Corey Hertzog.

Quote:
thegoalkeeper

I asked Hertzog how it felt to go to Philly's biggest rival. "I'm not comfortable answering that question," Hertzog said.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Zac Macmath...hope this works out better than the last U of Maryland gk the Union had.

Ah...I want the Union to trade up and get another first rounder.
If the Mondragon signing is indeed true, MacMath could develop behind him and set up Union goalkeeping for years. MacMath has USMNT potential and was the only Generation Adidas goalie this year.

Quote:
Feel so bad for Corey Hertzog.
He later said it was a dream to have the opportunity to play with Thierry Henry.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
If the Mondragon signing is indeed true, MacMath could develop behind him and set up Union goalkeeping for years. MacMath has USMNT potential and was the only Generation Adidas goalie this year.

He later said it was a dream to have the opportunity to play with Thierry Henry.
Henry is in the US now, too?

Finally got tired of the rampant racism in Europe, eh? Hopefully he didn't sign in the South... or anywhere near where they produce bananas.

Seriously, though, I guess Beckham really did have an effect on the MLS? I didn't know it was becoming so talented or well marketed. I haven't watched since the Metrostars were half decent, haha.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Henry went to the RedBulls. He is IMO a shadow of his former self and that's why he came to America. I'm not sure how much he's getting paid but it's probably pretty nice to play in a laid back league in New York City. I know i'd make the same choice if I was in his position

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-13-2011, 01:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Henry is in the US now, too?

Finally got tired of the rampant racism in Europe, eh? Hopefully he didn't sign in the South... or anywhere near where they produce bananas.

Seriously, though, I guess Beckham really did have an effect on the MLS? I didn't know it was becoming so talented or well marketed. I haven't watched since the Metrostars were half decent, haha.
Thierry Henry was the NY Red Bulls big signing last season during the Summer transfer window. Freddie Ljungberg just left MLS after spending a season in Seattle and a season in Chicago.

MLS still has Landon Donovan as well.

The Union took an attacking midfielder in the 2nd round, Michael Farfan from UNC.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Henry went to the RedBulls. He is IMO a shadow of his former self and that's why he came to America. I'm not sure how much he's getting paid but it's probably pretty nice to play in a laid back league in New York City. I know i'd make the same choice if I was in his position
He is getting PAID.

$4.5 mill. That's double what the MLS salary cap is PER TEAM.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
He is getting PAID.

$4.5 mill. That's double what the MLS salary cap is PER TEAM.
I figured he was making bank but compared to what he was making in Europe i'd have to guess it's a paycut haha.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
I figured he was making bank but compared to what he was making in Europe i'd have to guess it's a paycut haha.
Not by much. Wayne Rooney is at 5.2 mill (pounds sterling). Thiery Henry is still one of the Top 50 salaries in the WORLD at $4.5 with NYRB. He would come in at roughly 50 right around guys like Berbatov, Anelka, Arshavin and Giggs. No joke.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:47 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Not by much. Wayne Rooney is at 5.2 mill (pounds sterling). Thiery Henry is still one of the Top 50 salaries in the WORLD at $4.5 with NYRB. He would come in at roughly 50 right around guys like Berbatov, Anelka, Arshavin and Giggs. No joke.
Wow, that's a ****ed up system if the players are only getting paid that and the clubs are making millions upon millions in transfer fees.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Wow, that's a ****ed up system if the players are only getting paid that and the clubs are making millions upon millions in transfer fees.
Most of the big clubs (Manchester United, Real Madrid) are in INSANE debt. I think half of the Premier League are in debt.

To be honest, these clubs are being bought by billionaires and are having money pumped into them, a lot of them are operating at a loss otherwise. They are basically just inflating the value of these clubs to they can sell them again and brag to their buddies about the teams they own. To an American, it's an insane system.

The best part about this? Some of America's biggest sports NFL, NBA, NHL are run with salary caps and drafts by standings (sounds like communism, doesnt it?) and Europe runs their sports by the almighty dollar/pound/euro in a buy-low/sell-high system (sounds like capitalism) and nobody over here in the states even mentions this. Heck, MLB, the biggest non-Salary Cap sport in North America is the closest thing to a capitalist system in sports over here and people complain about it's lack of a salary cap constantly, haha.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Funny you mention Rooney; his younger brother, John, was selected by the Red Bulls today.

Edit: I don't know much about US college soccer... 5 of the top 8 players selected played at Akron; what's the deal with their program?

Old
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Oh, I understand the European transfer system quite well. It really is crazy with the debt some of those teams carry because of egotistical billionares... I just feel the players kinda get shafted. Do they have anything like free agency over there? I don't think they do... that must suck.

I'm more a fan of the US-based system, but not a fan of salary caps...

Old
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Funny you mention Rooney; his younger brother, John, was selected by the Red Bulls today.

Edit: I don't know much about US college soccer... 5 of the top 8 players selected played at Akron; what's the deal with their program?
Pretty good coach who just knows how to recruit talent and build a winning system. Happens every so often with a college program and then usually the coach jumps the MLS or elsewhere. But Porter seems intent on just running a soccer factory in Akron...the most random of sports superpowers.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Yeah, picked right after the Farfan at #24. Just what the Red Bulls want, another "name".

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Oh, I understand the European transfer system quite well. It really is crazy with the debt some of those teams carry because of egotistical billionares... I just feel the players kinda get shafted. Do they have anything like free agency over there? I don't think they do... that must suck.

I'm more a fan of the US-based system, but not a fan of salary caps...
I hate the US-based salary cap system. Why does the US have to be so different from the rest of the world? MLS flat out rejects moving to a single table because they want "rivalries". Every league overseas with a single table has rivalries. Rivalries are about proximity and history. Conferences can try to do that, but I'd rather a single table. A single table makes everyone your rival, conferences make only conference teams your rivals. However, over here everyone wants to be a champ. NL EAST Champs. Eastern Conference Champs. None of that means jack **** to me. I the Championship of the League, I dont give a **** about divisions or conferences.

They do have free agency technically in Europe, they just call it "free transfer" because you do not need a transfer fee to acquire a player when his contract runs out.

Closed Thread