HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Last place is the only way to save this franchise

Old
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
SeasonTicket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

no coach or player is ever going to tank on purpose. that is a ridiculous comment.

your comment about when a true dismantling of the roster should've taken place is a case of 20/20 hindsight, as froggy said. right now, anyone would agree with that statement.
Kid, you add absolutely nothing to any discussion on this forum. If you don't understand my post please don't comment on it. Go play with your toys.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:19 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
It's not optimism, it's reality! To say that the Florida Panthers (with or without McCabe,Vokoun,Stillman.....) will lose every single game from now until the end of the season and end up getting a #1-3 pick is just not very realistic. We are good enough to win games, we just seem better at losing games, but that doesn't mean winning games from now until April is being optimistic. I'm not saying the Panthers are going to explode this half of the season and earn a playoff spot, all I'm saying is that we're currently tied for 26th in the league ( we sit in 11th on the East because with 1 game at hand on TO, and 2 games on OTT,whom we're tied with) and every other team as low or around our points have played more games thus far. I say we are finishing anywhere from 9th on down but not drafting #1 or #2. That's not being too optimistic.

I can ask the same for most of the posters on here though with their pesimism!! Why does everyone think we're going to all of a sudden lose every single game and end up drafting #1 or #2??? What makes people think we're that bad?
We're 6 points away from 29th place. We are going to lose quality players at the trade deadline and we have more to trade than other teams. We're competitive now but we're not winning important games. We have the most one goal loss games. Our success is dependent on hard work and playing within Pete's system. Once the season gets written off at the trade deadline the ship is going to sink fast.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonTicket View Post
Kid, you add absolutely nothing to any discussion on this forum. If you don't understand my post please don't comment on it. Go play with your toys.
Uhm, Zero may be a lot of things, but he's not a 'kid.' Calling someone such greatly decreases your argument, it does nothing to actually bolster it.

01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
This is essentially what i've been trying to convey for a while now.

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
This is essentially what i've been trying to convey for a while now.
That he's a kid and go play with his toys? Strong conveyance.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
That he's a kid and go play with his toys? Strong conveyance.
That he contributes nothing of value to these boards and just argues for the sake of it, as do you.

Old
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
That he contributes nothing of value to these boards and just argues for the sake of it, as do you.
Your past few posts have certainly shown that you don't.

Old
01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Your past few posts have certainly shown that you don't.
That I don't what? I've yet to see you post ideas of your own, you just tag along with other posters and argue what other people say, without actually contributing a thesis of your own. Keep proving my point please

Old
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
That I don't what? I've yet to see you post ideas of your own, you just tag along with other posters and argue what other people say, without actually contributing a thesis of your own. Keep proving my point please
Listen, you've been around how long? I don't have a thing to prove to you. You're nothing more than another angry newcomer who thinks you know it all and can come in here and knock people. We've all seen your kind come and go.

Further, I made several good points challenging your retort to the right handed shot that you have yet to touch on, seems to me you're the type to resort to insults (such as 'reading comprehension and calling someone a kid) when your 'points' are proven wrong. Quit getting your britches all twisted up when someone challenges a post, especially when you're not at all clear.

Old
01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
SeasonTicket

Quote:
Uhm, Zero may be a lot of things, but he's not a 'kid.' Calling someone such greatly decreases your argument, it does nothing to actually bolster it.
Sorry but if someone acts like a brat laughing at everything everyone says then I call him what he is.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Listen, you've been around how long? I don't have a thing to prove to you. You're nothing more than another angry newcomer who thinks you know it all and can come in here and knock people. We've all seen your kind come and go.

Further, I made several good points challenging your retort to the right handed shot that you have yet to touch on, seems to me you're the type to resort to insults (such as 'reading comprehension and calling someone a kid) when your 'points' are proven wrong. Quit getting your britches all twisted up when someone challenges a post, especially when you're not at all clear.
The first part of this post is hilariously immature. I could drown in the hypocrisy dripping from this post. It's such an anathema to call someone a "kid" (which you falsely attributed to me), but it's cool to pretend that your perceived 'veterancy' on an internet message board lends some sort of credibility to your opinions over those who are new. If you want to play that game, I've had season tickets since 1994 and go to 41 games a year, do you even have them? You seem insecure of anyone who challenges your opinions. Do you have an inferiority complex? I guess 10 years of panthers hockey could do that to someone. It's alright though, you've been posting here for a while so that makes up for it, you're high and mighty.

I'll respond to your other posts when I'm done here, it consumes time I don't have waging a three front war with you in different threads. I'm sorry that you don't have an appreciation for rhetoric, but I'm not going to change my writing style for a layman. Additionally, you are not one to talk on the subject of resorting to insults. It seems that every time I post in a thread, whether or not you previously had, you come out of the woodwork to start an argument with me.

EDIT: I just looked back for this post you refer to, and found nothing resembling an argumentative position on the significance of right handed shots.

Last edited by Southern Hockey: 01-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry but if someone acts like a brat laughing at everything everyone says then I call him what he is.

Laus723, I don't think you're one to lecture on the finer points of constructing or sustaining an argument.

Old
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Lol, nor are you. Get over yourself, you're not original.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:08 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
I aggree that needing a high draft pick is the answer for the future for this team. That's the norm in a rebuild. Look at Chicago and thier results with Toews and Kane. Also the system Edmonton is employing.
What system is Edmonton employing? They should have been rebuilding when they traded Pronger, but have instead made a bunch of moves to add money and trade away draft picks, and only went into full rebuild mode last year when the team collapsed on them. They moved young players like Stoll, Pitkanen, and Greene for Vishnovsky and Cole, traded a bunch of picks for Penner, went out and overpaid Souray, Pisani, and last year Khabibulian in free agency.

I'd say Edmonton and the Panthers are both in the same stage of their rebuilds, as they both only started taking it seriously last season. Both finished bottom 3 last year, and will finish poorly again this season.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:57 AM
keslehr*

What would you guys want for a Reasoner + Weaver package? 2nd round pick + prospect? (Shirokov?)

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:28 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Length of time on boards does not equate to anything. Unless of course you finally submit that i am simply a better poster than you.

But thankyou for being the Panther police.

Edmonton are further ahead in their rebuild than Florida and have a better rebuilding base. They have 3 elite prospects in Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi along side a prospect base as strong as our own. The base of their rebuild is the same a sours (2010 draft), but already had a stronger base to build on. I'd wager Edmonton have a much better base than ours because of those elite 3. The difference between a Hall and a Gudbranson is huge.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Length of time on boards does not equate to anything. Unless of course you finally submit that i am simply a better poster than you.

But thankyou for being the Panther police.

Edmonton are further ahead in their rebuild than Florida and have a better rebuilding base. They have 3 elite prospects in Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi along side a prospect base as strong as our own. The base of their rebuild is the same a sours (2010 draft), but already had a stronger base to build on. I'd wager Edmonton have a much better base than ours because of those elite 3. The difference between a Hall and a Gudbranson is huge.
Thanks for chiming in. He said something about posts he's seen, I've been around for some time, therefore, that post holds no truth, which was my point. Not surprised you misinterpreted that...funny you call me the Panther Police, though.

Old
01-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in. He said something about posts he's seen, I've been around for some time, therefore, that post holds no truth, which was my point. Not surprised you misinterpreted that...funny you call me the Panther Police, though.
He wasn't debating with you about the veracity of the post. I think he was just saying that no one ****ing cares.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
pantherbot

c'mon guys cut the insults and stick to discussions...we all suffer enough as panther fans that we don't need to attack each other.

as for this thread. i've been advocating tanking for 2 seasons now, this one being the 3rd. i know there are those of you believe we have a competitive team but in my opinion we just don't have a playoff team...and don't even start talking about stanley.

My point is...if you don't make the playoffs, and even if you do and lose in the first round, your season is basically a failure. The only thing you have to show for it is a lower draft position.

So why, if you are almost certain of not making the playoffs, like the position we currently are in, would you NOT want the #1 pick? You can debate all you want about the great players you can get without the top pick but what you can't debate is the higher your pick, the better your chances. that is indisputable.

Is it pride or hope? If it's pride, bury it because this team is way past that point. If it's hope, then you are entitled to that but in my opinion this team is way past that point too...

Point is we need to win and we need to win soon. Finishing as worst as possible is the fastest route to that short of spending lots of money which won't happen.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post

My point is...if you don't make the playoffs, and even if you do and lose in the first round, your season is basically a failure. The only thing you have to show for it is a lower draft position.

This i completely disagree with. Making the first round, and even going 4 and out:

!)takes a huge monkey off the franchise back

2) satisfies long suffering fans

3) translates to more ticket sales

4) will make us more attractive to FA's

these are 4 huge gains, IMHO

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
This i completely disagree with. Making the first round, and even going 4 and out:

Making the playoffs would be a huge morale boost and probably help tickets sales. I don't think it will make us more attractive to FA's.

The issue Tallon faces is even if we start playing really well up to the trade deadline does he risk missing out on picks and prospects in the hope of making the playoffs? I don't think he's interested in sacrificing long term gains for short term ones.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post

I see your point...my original statement was perhaps a bit too harsh. Making the first round wouldn't be considered a complete failure, but I do think any attempts to build a team just to make the playoffs, regardless of sustainable competitiveness, would be short-sighted. It may generate buzz in the short term but be a losing strategy in the long-term.

If however, we actually have a solid team in place, and make it to the first round but bow out after 4, that is ok. As the team stands now we have way too many gaps to be sustainable so a first-round exit would only be detrimental to the future of the team.

But then it's not like we are anywhere close to playoffs anyways so the argument is academic...

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote