HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What to do with Seabrook

Old
01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
yep, he will want and will get a NTC. No NMC, but NTC.

I trust in Bowman(s) and think they will do all that the Hawks will have success for years to come.

BTW Bowman:
On the German "Eishockey News" is a short interview with Stan. He talked about that he and his father work together... almost every day. He often talks to Scotty about being the GM , but he makes his own decisions. But Scotty has a lot to say and his opinion is important to Stan

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
5.8 million?

Do you really think another team will give up (2) 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd + the 5.8 mill in cap space on their roster?

The only possible way Seabrook gets anything over 5 is via arbitration, and even going that route is a slippery slope (see Niemi).

He'll get somewhere between 4 and 5 million.

Seabrook is great, however the means for another team to poach him are ludicrous and that works in Bowmans favor.
I can see a couple teams giving him 5+ offer sheet

A team like Oilers I can see doing it. They dont have anything in there system that looks to be a #1 dman and there roster lacks it as well.

Likely they would threaten to go offersheet and work out a trade with Hawks instead but the Oilers would be a perfect landing spot.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

A team like Oilers I can see doing it. They dont have anything in there system that looks to be a #1 dman and there roster lacks it as well.

Likely they would threaten to go offersheet and work out a trade with Hawks instead but the Oilers would be a perfect landing spot.
Well you cant let a guy like Seabrook walk without a viable replacement, and no Boynton/Cullimore experimentation nonsense.

I dont see Seabrook walking or traded without something nice coming back (another top 4)... Well, unless the Hawks feel Leddy or someone else can step up and play top 4....

IMO its pretty difficult to part ways with an anchor... Seabrook is proven and you dont fix whats not broken. Bringing in someone new who doesn't know the system or style will always be a gamble, unless its someone from within the system.. Look at Kovalchuk in New Jersey.... thats the definition of fail..

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Well you cant let a guy like Seabrook walk without a viable replacement, and no Boynton/Cullimore experimentation nonsense.

I dont see Seabrook walking or traded without something nice coming back (another top 4)... Well, unless the Hawks feel Leddy or someone else can step up and play top 4....

IMO its pretty difficult to part ways with an anchor... Seabrook is proven and you dont fix whats not broken. Bringing in someone new who doesn't know the system or style will always be a gamble, unless its someone from within the system.. Look at Kovalchuk in New Jersey.... thats the definition of fail..
That is true

But Seabs will be tempting offer sheet canidate because as I said there are several teams that would view him as a #1 dman (Oilers , Islanders , etc)

To be fair to Kovalchuk that is more a combo of a roster that is mostly over the hill (Look at ages of some of there key players) and Maclean was a horrible coach.

Kovalchuk has looked better since Lemaire has taken back control (He didn't play that bad in Lemaire's system last year)

Old
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If Seabrook lands us Edmontons first, I take it and run. He can be replaced four 4 millionish fairly readily.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
That is true

But Seabs will be tempting offer sheet canidate because as I said there are several teams that would view him as a #1 dman (Oilers , Islanders , etc)

To be fair to Kovalchuk that is more a combo of a roster that is mostly over the hill (Look at ages of some of there key players) and Maclean was a horrible coach.

Kovalchuk has looked better since Lemaire has taken back control (He didn't play that bad in Lemaire's system last year)
Just as long as the Hawks get value for Seabrook (if he is moved).

I suppose New Jersey and Kovalchuk have plenty of time to work things out

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If Seabrook lands us Edmontons first, I take it and run. He can be replaced four 4 millionish fairly readily.
We would end up with there 2012 1st via offer sheet

Now if they offered the 1st overall this year and we had trouble coming to terms with Seabrook we would have to consider

All in all I expect somepoint in Feb/Mar for Hawks to announce they have a longterm deal with Seabrook

Bowman and Hawks would probably like to get deal done before end of season

Old
01-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
still not sure if we should resign him... that's what I'm saying.

I think that he or Hjammer will have to go when we resign Sharp.
Probably depends on how Morin plays next year. If he can come in as a rookie (figuring he doesnt come back up this year) and scores 15-20 goals they may let Sharp walk. If Sharp wants his market value from the Hawks, they can't pay him. He may command a salary comperable of what Kane and Toews get.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

trade him to the SouthHawks for Ben Eager!!!

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

The Oilers have a ton of young players that are going to be coming off of their ELC's in a couple of years. If they sink 5+ mil into Seabrook they aren't going to be able to afford those guys. Plus they are already paying 2 defensemen $4 mil a season. A small market team like Edmonton can't have $13 mil (28% of their entire team salary) invested in 3 defensemen.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Probably depends on how Morin plays next year. If he can come in as a rookie (figuring he doesnt come back up this year) and scores 15-20 goals they may let Sharp walk. If Sharp wants his market value from the Hawks, they can't pay him. He may command a salary comperable of what Kane and Toews get.
we would be better if we woiuld have 15-20 Morin Goals AND Sharp. Sharp is a great guy and I hope he will retire a Hawk

Old
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Oilers have a ton of young players that are going to be coming off of their ELC's in a couple of years. If they sink 5+ mil into Seabrook they aren't going to be able to afford those guys. Plus they are already paying 2 defensemen $4 mil a season. A small market team like Edmonton can't have $13 mil (28% of their entire team salary) invested in 3 defensemen.
Hemsky and Penner deals end after next season. Both are not likely longterm signings in Edmonton (Penner could be dealt this year actually and Hemsky's injury history continues to shed doubt on his longterm viability)

Hall and Svensson deals expire same time Whitney's deal expires

So it isn't that hard to fit Seabrook into there salary structure going forward

--- And I still think that Horcoff will eventually be a buyout canidate ,,, 5.5 mil cap hit for a #3 C is not viable longterm (Not to mention at times over last 2 years Horcoff has fallen to #4 on depth chart at C for poor play)

Old
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Seabrook and Skille for Bogosian and Eager

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Seabrook and Skille for Bogosian and Eager
You yourself said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Bogosian is a royal mess in Atlanta, Eager is in the doghouse.

Also, Bogosian's idol is Chelios, fwiw.
3 strikes and your out!

Bust + idiot + Idolizing ### = Fail

Old
01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

maybe they want to deal him... because he priced himself out?

At the start of the Season, Bowman said that the next step is getting Seabrook a new contract. What if they had the first contract negotiations and it went not the way we want it?

Old
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

To me, the answer is pretty obvious assuming Seabs doesn't get more money than Keith (which I don't think he will):

-Re-sign Seabrook for hopefully between 4-5 mil.
-Trade Hjalmarsson when we need to re-sign Sharp (or before, whatever)
-Plug in Olsen or other FA

Hjalmarsson doesn't hit, pass, or defend as well as Seabrook. The only thing he does better is block shots. He makes the same amount as Seabrook right now and will only make ~1.5 mil less when/if we re-sign Seabs. It's much easier to find/sign a player to adequately play the #4 role next to Campbell than replace Seabrook.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why should Seabrook resign for under 5? just askin

Old
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
why should Seabrook resign for under 5? just askin
Other comparable shut-down defenseman, cap hits shown:
Volchenkov- 4.25
Regehr- 4.02
Suter- 3.5
Gill- 2.25
Phillips- 3.5
Markov- 5.75
Lidstrom- 6.2
Kronwall- 3
Keith- 5.538
Burns- 3.55
Staal- 3.975

Feel free to look around at other defenseman's cap hits. Point producing defenseman get the big bucks... and even on this list, such is the case (Lidstrom, Markov, Keith etc.). Seabrook may be better than many on the list, but he's certainly not going to net Keith/Lidstrom/Markov money, as he's simply not as good as these guys.

I'd like to see him get less than 5 mil just because it would show that he's willing to take a discount to keep this team competitive. Considering he's offensively apt enough to be on the PP but is primarily a shut-down guy, somewhere between 4.5-4.75 is where I'd pay him and feel comfortable. Although I could see him getting around 5 so we can keep him.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
T0ny0

Unless Seabs is looking for 6-7 million/season, I believe the Hawks will resign him. You can't just let a stud dman go...

T0ny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmcgart View Post
Other comparable shut-down defenseman, cap hits shown:
Volchenkov- 4.25
Regehr- 4.02
Suter- 3.5
Gill- 2.25
Phillips- 3.5
Markov- 5.75
Lidstrom- 6.2
Kronwall- 3
Keith- 5.538
Burns- 3.55
Staal- 3.975
1. Take out Keith. He gets the most money of every D-Men in the NHL

2. Gill??? really?
3. Suter will get a raise, he isn't that Cheap.

4. Seabrook > Staal, Burns, Kronvall, Philips, Regehr and Volchenkov

5. Have you seen how many Points Seabrook has already? Seabrook isn't a shutdown D-Men like Volch or Philips. He can move the puck and has some offense.

Old
01-20-2011, 07:04 AM
slappipappi

The Oilers could offer sheet Seabrook but I doubt he accepts it.

Why would he risk ending up playing with the Oilers (or the Islanders or whoever)?

If he really doesn't care where he plays, then we have to get rid of him.

In a cap world, you need to follow Detroit's model and have players who want to play for your team at a reasonable amount. If they don't, then move on.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I'm thinking that for this year's draft we should try to get bigger, grittier, more physical defensemen and centers.

Our best prospects in those positions all seem a little small to me. Good size on the wings though.
Even if they find a Seabrook replacement in this years draft - that player wouldn't likely be ready to contribute at that level until 2015 or later. So this years draft isn't really a solution if Seabrook is traded.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Suburbanbear

Seems to me that this is why Bowman makes the big bucks and will be the toughest decision he has to make so far...Great season last season average season this year..still fairly young.

The leagues seems weak in Defensemen to me...I see him getting a nice offer unless Bowman gets him tied up in the next couple of months....but at what price and for how long?

Either way he is open to big criticism...OTOH the right decision is what long term success is built on.

I am not saying I WANT this to happen but I think this is his last year a Hawk because he thinks this year is his payout year and the Hawks won't match.

Suburbanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
PukYou

Commodore is now on re entry waivers. Wouldnt mind seeing him in our D for his price now.

PukYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukYou View Post
Commodore is now on re entry waivers. Wouldnt mind seeing him in our D for his price now.
Agreed, I think it's for something like 1.875M IIRC. Good partner for Leddy.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote