HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 - National Hockey League Entry Draft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Where is that coming from? I'm curious.

Good post. Larsson is the one we need the most.
I was like when I read that...curious too. That`s too much praise for him IMO.

Agreed with "the spirit" of GH`s post though.

Old
01-13-2011, 09:21 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
anyone have any scouting reports on stepan novotny?

Old
01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIR8 View Post
We could move Landeskog to center.
No thanks. No more wingers being forced to play centre. Either draft a centre, sign one as a UFA, or trade for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I agree with everything you said but I don't think he's a PP Qb. He can move the puck very well 5 on 5 but I don't see him as a PP guy. He doesn't play on the PP in the SEL and got limited limited PP time at the begining of the WJC. If he does play on our PP, I can see him as a "Kaberle" type of Qb... feed the shooter over and over and over.
I don't think Larsson would be the QB, I think he would be the trigger man. Did you see his point shots at the WJC? Hard, accurate lasers.

No, I see Merrill as the future QB. He doesn't have a fantastic shot, but I watched him setting up blasts from Faulk on the US team. We need that in a hurry, nobody but Zajac is able to set up Kovy like that this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Uber View Post
I just don't feel as confident about them panning out as I did with some of the other top picks in recent years. It might just be me panicking a bit because we're in the mix this year and I'm not an unbiased observer. Both may end up being great players, but I wasn't really that impressed by either from what I've seen so far (basically the World Juniors).
I agree that there is no clear-cut consensus #1 right now. I think one will probably emerge in the months before the draft. We'll see.

Quote:
I think the only safe pick is Landeskog. Seems to me like he'll be a solid, two-way, 60-70 pt forward. Although, even with him, there's no guarantee that his offensive game will translate to the NHL. However, the more I read about him and hear him speak, he's loaded in the intangibles department. That is the kind of guy that a sorry ass, spineless team like ours could use in the room.
We definitely need more leaders on the team. But you don't draft an 18 year old to be the future captain. Especially not with Parise's future unsecured at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Exactly, that's why you need to stock up on hopefully top-4 D-men.

Yes it would be great to see ZZ-Landeskogg as a line but when they pass it back to our once again completely incompetent group of D-men, the play dies. Or they spend all shift in their zone since the D-men can't get it out.Like this year.

We have our forwards to build around in Zach(hopefully), Kovy, Yayo, Zajac, Boo. We need to add to Urbom, Merrill for our future D-men. And both of them are unproven at the NHL level.
Exactly. I have less faith in our defensive pool than most. I don't feel we have an elite #1 potential defenceman in our current group. Several #2-3s, but no clear #1. I believe Larsson is the elite talent we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I'd just love it if Merrill, Gelinas and Urbom pan out to be all top 4 D-men at least.
Merrill was a 2nd rounder after losing the 1st for Kovy, Gelinas is a 2nd rounder and Urbom a 3rd rounder. That's some sharp drafting in back to back 2nd-3rd round years.
That would be awesome, but it's unlikely. They are all players whose games are suited to succeed in the NHL, but there's no guarantee. I'll be thrilled if two out of those three end up as middle pairing defencemen or better. If one of them ends up as a solid top pairing guy, even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
When you're drafting where we expect to be, you're looking at getting a franchise player. We already have 2 in Kovalchuk and Parise, and both play forward. There are 0 even close to being that on defense. Larsson's no guaranteed thing, but he's definitely surer than Urbom, Merrill, Burlon, and Gelinas. Adding him to that group makes it one of the best in the league.
I agree with this. We need a franchise talent on defence, we already have two at forward.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Goose Huckabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Where is that coming from? I'm curious. That's some serious hype.

Good post. Larsson is the one we need the most.
Isn't he? That seemed to be the consensus opinion amongst Swedish posters a year ago when he was chasing scoring records. People seem to be writing off what he accomplished as a 16/17-year-old in the 3rd-best men's league in the world as a fluke because he isn't producing at the same clip this year.

I guess as far as pre-draft prospects his closest competition are the Sedins, Backstrom, and Hedman, who went 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 2nd in the NHL draft, respectively. Hedman was getting the "best Swedish prospect since Forsberg; best D prospect since Pronger" treatment prior to his draft, and by virtually all accounts Larsson is better than him.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Devils1029

Landeskog is projected as a solid top 6 forward while Larsson is projected as a top 2 defenceman with a ceiling of being an elite #1.

Which would you rather have?

intangibles go a long way for sure but it shouldn't supercede pure talent.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
Isn't he? That seemed to be the consensus opinion amongst Swedish posters a year ago when he was chasing scoring records. People seem to be writing off what he accomplished as a 16/17-year-old in the 3rd-best men's league in the world as a fluke because he isn't producing at the same clip this year.

I guess as far as pre-draft prospects his closest competition are the Sedins, Backstrom, and Hedman, who went 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 2nd in the NHL draft, respectively. Hedman was getting the "best Swedish prospect since Forsberg; best D prospect since Pronger" treatment prior to his draft, and by virtually all accounts Larsson is better than him.
I still believe Hedman was overhyped like Tavares. Larsson is arguably better than Hedman, but I don`t like those Frosberg-Lidstrom type of comparison in any sport.

Old
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
CerebralGenesis

Even if larsson turns into a lidstrom, id say it'll take years upon years before he grows into a solid player.

The bust potential with this draft class is scary just to reiterate the common fears

Old
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't think it's fair to compare Larsson to Forsberg or Lidstrom, and thereby set him up for failure when he cannot reach that potential in his first NHL season. He is an elite talent in his own right.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare Larsson to Forsberg or Lidstrom, and thereby set him up for failure when he cannot reach that potential in his first NHL season. He is an elite talent in his own right.
What's not fair is to beleive or think that Adam Larsson is our savior next year or the year after that. The kid just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago so thinking he can turn this mess around all on his own would be a major mistake made by our fanbase or the media.

Who ever we'll be drafting, the kid needs to be groomed and is still a rookie... let's not go overboard with a guy who didn't play a single game at the NHL level just yet.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
What's not fair is to beleive or think that Adam Larsson is our savior next year or the year after that. The kid just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago so thinking he can turn this mess around all on his own would be a major mistake made by our fanbase or the media.

Who ever we'll be drafting, the kid needs to be groomed and is still a rookie... let's not go overboard with a guy who didn't play a single game at the NHL level just yet.
Eh, savior or not, if we are lucky enough to land this kid (still not inconceivable that this team climbs above a team or two and a lottery to lose ) it would be fun going into next season watching some youth and true back-end potential. While next year should be better cap-wise, it may still be a transition year. However, the year after with $$ coming off the books and a likely arrival of some of our young D-men, this team may be poised to make some noise.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:

The "savior" for next year should by all means be the new coach. That's where Lou can make the most single-season impact. I want Larsson not because of next year, but because I see him as a potential franchise defenseman in the future, with his low-end potential being a solid 1st pair guy. Defense is a serious problem for this team, and it needs to be fixed long-term. RW is not nearly as big a problem, and could potentially be fixed through a combination of UFA acquisitions and Tedenby, Palmieri.

Larsson, OTOH, makes our future D look REALLY good.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 50
Fine fine fine. Larsson and Landeskog.... I'll call Lou and get it done.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

This was probably posted already, but couldn't find it with some quick searches. Apologies if missed: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548957

Quote:
One European NHL scout from a Western Conference team told NHL.com that Larsson might be ahead of where Victor Hedman was at the midway point of his draft year two years ago. Hedman was chosen by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the No. 2 pick in 2009.

"Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things," the scout said. "I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He's every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they're both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I've seen the last three years."

[ . . . ]

Two of Larsson's teammates on this year's Swedish National Junior Team praised their impressive young defenseman when asked for comparisons to Hedman.

"I think Adam is better than Hedman, but that's my opinion," said Larsson's WJC defense partner, Fredrik Styrman."He's more stick-handling and can move the puck quick. That's the big thing, and he can hit, too. He's a strong guy and he's big. I think he has a great future (in North America)."

Goalie Robin Lehner, who was drafted in the second round by the Ottawa Senators in 2009, said he feels very confident with Larsson patrolling his end.

"Hedman was big, of course, and strong and Adam is smaller but he makes up for that with smartness," Lehner told NHL.com. "He's really smart with the puck, and tough. He won't back down from anything and even fought a 30-year-old in Swedish league. He just has this glow in his eyes … you know he's going to be a great player."

Old
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
More than likely. Someone tell the Rangers coaching staff that we're gonna win this lottery and we want him, so start playing him at C full time.

That said, I can see Lou sending whomever we sign to the minors or back to junior.
Okay, you sold me.

Landeskog to the Devils!

Old
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
StevensCheck104

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-of-the-season

Seriously what did the Devils ever do to Burnside to deserve such hate, its bordering on lunacy.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
so, scott, we should be giving the best teams the #1 draft pick? i dont follow.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
FLEX225

Send a message via AIM to FLEX225
He has absolutely no credibility in my eyes. And what about Toronto? I'm sure they deserve the first pick because...OH THAT'S RIGHT, THEIR DUMB GM GAVE IT TO BOSTON. At least our GM isn't that stupid to destroy our teams for years to come.

I've said it to my friends...Brian Burke is building a hell of young team in Boston.

Old
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Even if larsson turns into a lidstrom, id say it'll take years upon years before he grows into a solid player.

The bust potential with this draft class is scary just to reiterate the common fears
I may be wrong, but didn't take Lindstrom to reach stardom until his late 20" or early 30's? I just don't remember his name being mentioned when he was a kid. My point being that Larsson will just get better as he gets experience. We all know most defensemen take a little longer to mature.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachAttack104 View Post

Seriously what did the Devils ever do to Burnside to deserve such hate, its bordering on lunacy.
Next time we win the Cup we should all just email him a picture of Kovy/Larsson(if we get him) in a Devils jersey lifting the Cup. I would be worth it to keep filling his inbox all summer with pictures of the inevitable.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
so, scott, we should be giving the best teams the #1 draft pick? i dont follow.
He's such an ass and if he'd ever say one good thing about the devils, I think his he's turn to stone. At least LeBrun was rational about it. Yes, we are pretty far back in point so realistically, we will most likely finish last. Oh, and yes, the NHL rewards bad teams with the 1st overall pick...that's how it always has been and we're not the first bad team to come along. Did you criticize the islanders for getting the first pick and Tavares? Pittsburgh for MAF, Staal, Crosby?

That's why I choose to ignore this idiot.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't even bother to read his BS anymore. I don't want to give his articles hit counts.

It's rediculous to think that anyone would think that you should give the best teams in the NHL the top draft pics. If this guy was running the league he would have 10 teams contracted after 4 years because of his stupid ideas. It makes a whole lot of sense to make a sports league top heavy

Old
01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Big#D

Quote:

Quote:
Scott Burnside covers the NHL for ESPN.com. Before joining the website in 2005, he was a reporter for The Windsor Star and Toronto Sun. Burnside also co-authored the best-selling true crime book "Deadly Innocence."
I'm guessing he was maybe a Wings fan in 1995. That's the only thing I could think of why he'd have an irrational hatred for the team is if he was a Wings fan and was embarassed at how badly his team was owned in 1995.

Old
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

This type of sucking saved the Penguins franchise twice, oh no, now the Devils suck, make a rule, quick!

Burnside is a complete ***.

Old
01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Love how Burnside says that Langenbrunner will have a resurgence

Closed Thread