HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Floor Hockey

Old
01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
ILflyersfan12

vCash: 500
Floor Hockey

hey guys, i have always been a hockey fan. i am wanting to start playing some floor hockey. it has been awhile sence i have played any sport, so i am out of shape. i have some upperbody strength and great strength in my legs. my question is what are some good excersies i can do to get in shape?

also for floor hockey, what all do i need? other than stick and gloves.

thanks guys, and sorry for dumb questions.

ILflyersfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Khabby

One of the main things for floor hockey is pretty decent cardio, floor hockey requires a pretty steady pace of running around the whole time, unlike ice where you can glide a bit to catch you breath at times before you take off again. Good strength in your upper body and legs are good for your shot, But usually in floor hockey your not laying people out. So I would say good cardio is probably your main priority.

As for equipment for Floor hockey, the main things are stick and gloves as you have mentioned. Some people I play with tend to wear some type of shin pad, Be it bulky ice hockey shin pads, slightly smaller ball hockey shin pads, or just some thin soccer shin pads (which wont hinder your running as much.)

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
ILflyersfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabby View Post
One of the main things for floor hockey is pretty decent cardio, floor hockey requires a pretty steady pace of running around the whole time, unlike ice where you can glide a bit to catch you breath at times before you take off again. Good strength in your upper body and legs are good for your shot, But usually in floor hockey your not laying people out. So I would say good cardio is probably your main priority.

As for equipment for Floor hockey, the main things are stick and gloves as you have mentioned. Some people I play with tend to wear some type of shin pad, Be it bulky ice hockey shin pads, slightly smaller ball hockey shin pads, or just some thin soccer shin pads (which wont hinder your running as much.)

thanks alot. what are some good exercises to do to get into shape?

Old
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILflyersfan12 View Post
thanks alot. what are some good exercises to do to get into shape?
play lots of floor hockey or start running

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILflyersfan12 View Post
hey guys, i have always been a hockey fan. i am wanting to start playing some floor hockey. it has been awhile sence i have played any sport, so i am out of shape. i have some upperbody strength and great strength in my legs. my question is what are some good excersies i can do to get in shape?

also for floor hockey, what all do i need? other than stick and gloves.
thanks guys, and sorry for dumb questions.
Hey welcome aboard!

Being out of shape: Try to do some bike riding or even brisk walking to get the cardio going. Weights are also a good way to get some strength in your arms & chest by doing some bicep curls and bench press. For your legs, bike riding will help so will and doing some squats - check out this site for some other lower body exercises: http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbo...ercise-Photos/

I would suggest the following equipment (add Helmet if you're playing in a league)
* Gloves
* Shin Pads
* Cup
* Stick

GLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
ILflyersfan12

thanks alot guys, i am excited to death about getting ready to start playing.

what kind of gloves and sticks do you guys have?