HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We Want The Cup!

Old
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Once you're in the playoffs anything does happen. The games aren't played on paper. A seven game series can be over in just four which is hardly long enough to ensure the best team on paper always wins out.

I think our style is well suited for the playoffs. Winning tight games, winning road games, coming back in the third to win. All are characteristics of deep playoff runs.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
TreeSapLlama

If Lundqvist pulls a Hasek, we absolutely have a shot. I see no reason why we couldn't follow a path similar to Montreal last year. It is just not very likely.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Once you're in the playoffs anything does happen. The games aren't played on paper. A seven game series can be over in just four which is hardly long enough to ensure the best team on paper always wins out.

I think our style is well suited for the playoffs. Winning tight games, winning road games, coming back in the third to win. All are characteristics of deep playoff runs.
As long as we're not trading Stepan, Kreider, MDZ, and McD, for Brad Richards and a player to be named later (I agree to a certain extent. There's so many factors that come into play which can be pro's or con's) I agree.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The problem with their young talent is I'm not sure how many, if any, really project out to being a legit top 3 forward. And that's an issue with a team that has some cap issues and needs to score more.

Stepan could be a first liner. So can Thomas. Not necessarily saying they will be there, but it's not impossible.

That's why we need high-risk, high-return draftees the next couple of drafts. If we had 5 more guys like Chris Thomas, we'd be a lot less concerned about our top-end talent. Enough of these guys would develop so that we could be sure that at least some of them will be able to man our first line.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
That's not cup worthy.
how?

the top 3 lines have balance, grit, and talent. the defense is solid, hard hitting, and has few holes (especially if eminger continues to play like he has and del zotto comes back strong and confident for the remainder of the season). our goalie is top 3 in the league. our back up is much improved to last year and definitely will keep hank fresh, more fresh, than he has ever been going into the playoffs.

with another goal scorer and a healthy gaborik we have enough talent to score 3-4 goals on any given night. with another veteran defender we have another player who can take up 20 minute a game and take a lot of pressure off of sauer and del zotto come playoff time.

with callahan back in the fold we have a team leader and overall gritty player who has offensive talent.

christensen on the 1st line is logical... as they said on that video, christensen and gaborik connect better than any other center with gaborik. we can all attest to that. last year christensen and gaborik seemed to have something special. if it doesnt work out then we just make christensen a healthy scratch and play gaborik with someone else.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
If Christensen is on the 1st line, I'd be more worried about finishing out of the playoffs than winning a cup.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
If Christensen is on the 1st line, I'd be more worried about finishing out of the playoffs than winning a cup.
tell me which center does gaborik connect to better than christensen?

Old
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Stepan could be a first liner. So can Thomas. Not necessarily saying they will be there, but it's not impossible.

That's why we need high-risk, high-return draftees the next couple of drafts. If we had 5 more guys like Chris Thomas, we'd be a lot less concerned about our top-end talent. Enough of these guys would develop so that we could be sure that at least some of them will be able to man our first line.
But that's kind of my point. There are cans. Not a lock. The lack of frontline talent is a problem especially with this GM and his willingness to throw big bucks at FAs.

01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

See how quickly the mood on these boards changed. Before everyone watched this video, we were a fringe playoff team with maybe one round to potentially win and our team is still a couple years away.

Now everybody is jumping on the anything can happen bandwagon.

I just think we need to settle down a little. I have still yet to see this team actually beat many top teams. They have beat Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they beat Washington when everybody was beating Washington. If they find a way to win tonight then maybe we can start thinking we are moving forward nicely, but for now let's keep the underdog blue collar role, it fits NY nicely.

01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im scared about this.

I liked the fact that they were kinda underrated and waiting in the weeds.

This probably wont change things too much, but in some fans' eyes it might surprise them a bit.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apulsch View Post
all im gonna say is that i never would have bet that the flyers would have made it to the cup last year after they beat us. but they did.
Good point. And they were an OT goal away from going to 7 games with the Blackhawks who finished with 24 points more than the Flyers in the regular season. Not to mention the Canadiens were the 8th seed and were in the ECF.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Im scared about this.

I liked the fact that they were kinda underrated and waiting in the weeds.

This probably wont change things too much, but in some fans' eyes it might surprise them a bit.
The biggest concern I see is the Rangers only seem to be able to win one way grind out wins. They can't run and gun with teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly or Tampa. And lacking that dimension could hurt them over the course of a best of seven series.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
ThisYearsModel

Bettman must be out of the country for this to be allowed. had he seen this, the word PENGUINS would have been substituted for RANGERS

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
See how quickly the mood on these boards changed. Before everyone watched this video, we were a fringe playoff team with maybe one round to potentially win and our team is still a couple years away.

Now everybody is jumping on the anything can happen bandwagon.

I just think we need to settle down a little. I have still yet to see this team actually beat many top teams. They have beat Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they beat Washington when everybody was beating Washington. If they find a way to win tonight then maybe we can start thinking we are moving forward nicely, but for now let's keep the underdog blue collar role, it fits NY nicely.
actually i think you are the one blowing things out of proportion. no one is jumping on any 'bandwagon' here. this thread has 1 and a half pages. and its absolutely true that 'anything can happen'. if you feel different, like if it CANT happen then id like to hear why. because your post is kinda supporting the 'anything can happen' 'bandwagon' idea.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=864246

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
tell me which center does gaborik connect to better than christensen?
If you mean chemistry, the notion that Christensen has chemistry with Gaborik is totally overblown. Christensen is waiver-fodder. He would be lucky to put up 40 points even WITH Gaborik. I don't care if he makes a blind pass to him once every 10 games. Stepan is a MUCH better fit.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
If you mean chemistry, the notion that Christensen has chemistry with Gaborik is totally overblown. Christensen is waiver-fodder. He would be lucky to put up 40 points even WITH Gaborik. I don't care if he makes a blind pass to him once every 10 games. Stepan is a MUCH better fit.
yet this year gaborik looks lost with players which are meant to be "better fits" and last year, with a "waiver-fodder" he was productive.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Did Gaborik start ******** the bed when Christensen got hurt? Or was that before?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:12 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
yet this year gaborik looks lost with players which are meant to be "better fits" and last year, with a "waiver-fodder" he was productive.
He was more productive without Christensen.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:13 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Did Gaborik start ******** the bed when Christensen got hurt? Or was that before?
It was all year. He was playing like crap before he(Gabs) got hurt, and he's still playing like crap.

Old
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
they have hardly been on the same line this entire year. christensen was on the 4th line for a while when he got hurt.

Old
haveandare

Quote:
I agree that its way overblown but I think Christensen has some value to him. I don't think he should automatically get to play with Gaborik just because they played well last season. Gaborik was playing a MUCH more intelligent, aggressive game, he would have scored that many points or more with almost anybody else.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apulsch View Post
actually i think you are the one blowing things out of proportion. no one is jumping on any 'bandwagon' here. this thread has 1 and a half pages. and its absolutely true that 'anything can happen'. if you feel different, like if it CANT happen then id like to hear why. because your post is kinda supporting the 'anything can happen' 'bandwagon' idea.
You're right. I am all for the anything can happen idea. However, I was also saying in my post that the Rangers really haven't shown me enough for me to believe that anything can happen.

I'd like to think we all feel this is the same team that will fight for a 6-9 spot and maybe get into the playoffs and cause problems. I personally feel like anything we do now is great, but our time isn't now--our time is 2 years down the road. But that's just me.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
they have hardly been on the same line this entire year. christensen was on the 4th line for a while when he got hurt.
Ehh... Keep him there.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But that's kind of my point. There are cans. Not a lock. The lack of frontline talent is a problem especially with this GM and his willingness to throw big bucks at FAs.

Slats has done a decent job going for high-risk, high-return talent the last couple of years. Kreider, Bourque and Horak in 2009, McIlrath, Thomas, Yogan and Fasth in 2010.

Another couple of drafts like that and top-end talent won't be a problem.

I think that after the tremendous 2008 draft, along with guys like Anisimov, Hagelin, Sauer, Callahan, Dubinsky, etc., Slats kind of realized that the team won't have a lot of problems with depth anymore, and swung for the fences with guys like Kreider and Thomas.

I'm really hoping this trend will continue. He has even less reason to draft "safe" prospects now than ever before.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote