HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm Just Sayin'

Old
01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
These two said it all for me basically.

I'm of the opinion that people just like to complain. The system is fine as is. It's better then the tie system and the top teams are going to be the top teams regardless. This system is better then ties and it really doesn't have as grand an impact on the game as everyone likes to believe.
This system came into play because people complained about ties... The old system was fine as it was for many decades.

Personally I had little problem with ties... it was the way I grew up with. If my team came back from being behind to tie it was like a win to me; I went home happy... Conversely, if my team was caught it was like a loss and I left feeling sad.

When my team was in a race for the Division and two division teams were playing I used to hope for a tie so my team could gain ground on both... Now if they are tied after regulation my team can only gain ground on one and could lose ground on both.

I find it odd that a fairly new rule can all of a sudden be treated like it was always the way it was... any call for change is complaining.

My original concern was the Flyers having more wins and less losses over a ten game period and still losing ground... I questioned the rationale of that.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Some people do forget that SO wins are not counted when breaking ties in the standings anymore. And that's new this season.
A shootout win should not give a team an extra point for a skills competition, I just cannot understand how people cannot see this as the biggest issue overall. It should be established as a shootout is only a form of entertainment, thus it will not count as a W in the pt column but only be used as a tiebreaker if two teams end the season with equal wins, losses, and ties, yes a tie in an 82 game season is OK.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
A shootout win should not give a team an extra point for a skills competition, I just cannot understand how people cannot see this as the biggest issue overall. It should be established as a shootout is only a form of entertainment, thus it will not count as a W in the pt column but only be used as a tiebreaker if two teams end the season with equal wins, losses, and ties, yes a tie in an 82 game season is OK.
The SO especially blows my mind because Bettman has such a hard on for Stern and generally just follows whatever he does with the NBA.

More scoring - check
Draft lottery - check
Marketing superstars instead of teams - check
Forced rivalries - check

The SO is equivalent to a dunk contest deciding a game.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
The SO especially blows my mind because Bettman has such a hard on for Stern and generally just follows whatever he does with the NBA.

More scoring - check
Draft lottery - check
Marketing superstars instead of teams - check
Forced rivalries - check

The SO is equivalent to a dunk contest deciding a game.
People can call it entertaining or whatever they like, just do not have it decide an outcome to a game or have a direct impact on the final standings.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
People can call it entertaining or whatever they like, just do not have it decide an outcome to a game or have a direct impact on the final standings.
When a tie is not acceptable, IMO, a team oriented way of breaking the tie is the only method... In the postseason playing it out is a must... In the regular season when long OT is not practical, team play should still be involved. Shootout exhibitions are not a team oriented manner to determine points.

I would lie to see an extended OT period... maybe 10 minutes... followed by a tie OR a decreasing number of players over five minutes sudden death periods; 4 on 4 followed by 3 on 3, followed by 2 on two... I doubt they would get to two on very often, let alone a 1 on 1.

At most you would have 15 to 20 minutes extended... not much longer than the shootout process, and without an intermission much shorter than a postseason minimum OT.

With that, the current SO system could be do-able with a better point allotment system, IMO.

Old
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
When a tie is not acceptable, IMO, a team oriented way of breaking the tie is the only method... In the postseason playing it out is a must... In the regular season when long OT is not practical, team play should still be involved. Shootout exhibitions are not a team oriented manner to determine points.

I would lie to see an extended OT period... maybe 10 minutes... followed by a tie OR a decreasing number of players over five minutes sudden death periods; 4 on 4 followed by 3 on 3, followed by 2 on two... I doubt they would get to two on very often, let alone a 1 on 1.

At most you would have 15 to 20 minutes extended... not much longer than the shootout process, and without an intermission much shorter than a postseason minimum OT.

With that, the current SO system could be do-able with a better point allotment system, IMO.
1 on 1 would be absolutely brutal to watch. It would basically be skating the puck down and dumping to get a player change every 30 seconds.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
1 on 1 would be absolutely brutal to watch. It would basically be skating the puck down and dumping to get a player change every 30 seconds.
IDK about that but I would expect it to be a puck control game when it gets to 3 on 3.

Think of the way it could develop if it ever gets to a 2 on 2 or 1 one 1... Think of a Giroux or a Zherdov out there with pond hockey... Think of mobile D-men in that situation... Think of coaching and maybe going with two-way players and forgetting about D-men.

... In any event, it would IMO be a better way to determine points than shootouts... and when you get down to it, it could be even more entertaining.

But, what the Hell... let's go with a coin flip.

EDIT: Seriously though... with five minute segments I doubt it would get through the 15 minutes with 3 on 3 very often.

Old
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
All those extra points keeps playoff races tighter, though.

I can't imagine the NHL ever wanting to implement a change that could significantly impact their bottom line (like going back to two point games).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
All those extra points keeps playoff races tighter, though.

I can't imagine the NHL ever wanting to implement a change that could significantly impact their bottom line (like going back to two point games).
In all fairness it must be noted that the NHL is looking into three points being awarded in all game. That doesn't address the shootout, but that is really a separate debate entirely.

Old
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
In all fairness it must be noted that the NHL is looking into three points being awarded in all game. That doesn't address the shootout, but that is really a separate debate entirely.
They'll 'look' at it, as they did during Shanny's first organized meeting of the minds, but they're a long way from seriously considering 3 point games a viable option... so I've heard, anyway.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote