HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
So I'm just starting to follow soccer a bit more. Any suggestions on good sites to follow? Particularly for the Union/MLS?

I've tried to pick up the Premier League a few times, but I'll admit as an American it made no sense...until I started playing Football Manager 2010 (there are no real management sims available for American football, and sadly I've played the hell out of EHM, so I wanted something new). I think I get a lot more of it now, but I'd feel weird randomly picking a team over there. A Philadelphia team, OTOH, I can support without hesitation...OK, a little with the BIMBO logo, I guess.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
So I'm just starting to follow soccer a bit more. Any suggestions on good sites to follow? Particularly for the Union/MLS?

I've tried to pick up the Premier League a few times, but I'll admit as an American it made no sense...until I started playing Football Manager 2010 (there are no real management sims available for American football, and sadly I've played the hell out of EHM, so I wanted something new). I think I get a lot more of it now, but I'd feel weird randomly picking a team over there. A Philadelphia team, OTOH, I can support without hesitation...OK, a little with the BIMBO logo, I guess.
Bigsoccer is a soccer forum. They have a Union forum, it's not as active as this forum, but you can get good information and analysis there.

I have only recently gotten into soccer due to actually trying FIFA 10 last year and also because of the Union.

EPL is solid, the talent level is insane. It makes MLS look like College ball. I have been watching the odd game on ESPN3 when I can. I've been following Arsenal lately. I've seen some ManU, ManCity, Everton and Tottenham games also. Everton is fun to watch since they have Tim Howard. Go USA!

Old
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
CorpseLW

I don't know what to make of the Premier League this season. Chelsea have reality setting in and need youth badly now that so many are getting 30+, so I suppose Sunderland and Bolton are the teams to cheer for... dunno.

wish I would have moved to Philly. have any of you been to the Union games?

Old
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Bigsoccer is a soccer forum. They have a Union forum, it's not as active as this forum, but you can get good information and analysis there.

I have only recently gotten into soccer due to actually trying FIFA 10 last year and also because of the Union.

EPL is solid, the talent level is insane. It makes MLS look like College ball. I have been watching the odd game on ESPN3 when I can. I've been following Arsenal lately. I've seen some ManU, ManCity, Everton and Tottenham games also. Everton is fun to watch since they have Tim Howard. Go USA!
Yeah, Arsenal was the first team I played as in FM2010 (had the computer randomly choose a team for me, go figure). I've started to follow them a bit because of that, but I really have no history there, so it feels a bit odd, you know? I do get the Fox Soccer channel (Verizon FiOS here in the Boston area), and they'll have EPL games on a few times a week. Haven't really caught one yet...two kids and work prevent that from happening.

I'll check out that website, thanks.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

Quote:

Well if your an American supporter... I recommend you go to...

Theshinguardian.com
Yanksabroad.com

They also have info on transfers, and other good stuff, not just the USMNT

I'm a huge soccer fan, #1 team is Arsenal, but since there is no specific team coverage here in America, you need to like multiple teams. Over the last couple years I have been watching Bolton (For Stuart Holden), Man U (For Rooney, Nani), Liverpool (For El Nino Torres, Gerrard) and Everton (For Howard, Donovan when he was there)

Teams I despise....Chelsea, even though i love Lampard, Sunderland, and a random - Bayern Munich

GO GUNNERS

Old
01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Why the hate for Bayern? I'm a Bayern and AC Milan supporter (not as much since Ronaldinho came). Really happy that he is leaving so I can go back to supporting them. Also starting to follow Lazio recently.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Why the hate for Bayern? I'm a Bayern and AC Milan supporter (not as much since Ronaldinho came). Really happy that he is leaving so I can go back to supporting them. Also starting to follow Lazio recently.
All I have to say is.

Had a bad couple of games recently but just reached the quarter finals in the Italian cup. Also Buffon made his return to the Juve today (2-0 win) so they might be able to make a run at the Italian cup. Getting Buffon back is huge for them I am actually shocked they are only nine points off of the lead.

Old
01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

Quote:
Haha I'm not a fan of Ribery and Schweinstager... Love Klose though

Old
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Apparently according to some rumors Klose might be heading to Real Madrid.

Old
01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Probably because they're the Man U of the Bundesliga.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Yeah, picked right after the Farfan at #24. Just what the Red Bulls want, another "name".

I hate the US-based salary cap system. Why does the US have to be so different from the rest of the world? MLS flat out rejects moving to a single table because they want "rivalries". Every league overseas with a single table has rivalries. Rivalries are about proximity and history. Conferences can try to do that, but I'd rather a single table. A single table makes everyone your rival, conferences make only conference teams your rivals. However, over here everyone wants to be a champ. NL EAST Champs. Eastern Conference Champs. None of that means jack **** to me. I the Championship of the League, I dont give a **** about divisions or conferences.

They do have free agency technically in Europe, they just call it "free transfer" because you do not need a transfer fee to acquire a player when his contract runs out.
Europe does have conferences. They just call them leagues.

Don't forget ... including Russia, the US is 40% bigger than Europe (even including the Euro part of Russia, the US is only 300,000 sq km smaller.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Europe does have conferences. They just call them leagues.
Not in all leagues. There is just Serie A in Italy. Serie B is a different league completely.

Old
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
Not in all leagues. There is just Serie A in Italy. Serie B is a different league completely.
I was just referring to the fact that the English league and the Italian league, and the German league basically the same or less area than a US conference does.

European countries are small and compact. That's why single table works ok for them.

Old
01-14-2011, 02:17 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
All I have to say is.

Had a bad couple of games recently but just reached the quarter finals in the Italian cup. Also Buffon made his return to the Juve today (2-0 win) so they might be able to make a run at the Italian cup. Getting Buffon back is huge for them I am actually shocked they are only nine points off of the lead.
it's easy to win when you cheat

BAM

Old
01-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Well if your an American supporter... I recommend you go to...

Theshinguardian.com
Yanksabroad.com

They also have info on transfers, and other good stuff, not just the USMNT

I'm a huge soccer fan, #1 team is Arsenal, but since there is no specific team coverage here in America, you need to like multiple teams. Over the last couple years I have been watching Bolton (For Stuart Holden), Man U (For Rooney, Nani), Liverpool (For El Nino Torres, Gerrard) and Everton (For Howard, Donovan when he was there)

Teams I despise....Chelsea, even though i love Lampard, Sunderland, and a random - Bayern Munich

GO GUNNERS
Thanks, I'll take a look. Since I'm a newbie to soccer, following multiple teams for individual players is sort of a non-starter. I mean, I recognize some of those names (Rooney, Donovan, Howard), but well, I'm an American. I watch the World Cup every four years (when it doesn't fall during work hours or the middle of the night...so I don't even get to watch much of that ). I caught a couple of Revs games over the years, since a friend of mine got caught up when they were being the Buffalo Bills of the MLS. But otherwise, I know almost nothing.

And coming from my background, I've never been a "follow a specific player" kind of guy. I follow my teams...that whole "the name on the front of the jersey not the back" line of thinking. I'll ponder that, though...perhaps for European soccer, that doesn't work as well?

Old
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I was just referring to the fact that the English league and the Italian league, and the German league basically the same or less area than a US conference does.

European countries are small and compact. That's why single table works ok for them.
The travel would be a ***** if an American league did that, especially one like the MLS that doesn't have a ton of money to throw around on cross country flights all the time.

Quote:
And coming from my background, I've never been a "follow a specific player" kind of guy. I follow my teams...that whole "the name on the front of the jersey not the back" line of thinking. I'll ponder that, though...perhaps for European soccer, that doesn't work as well?
You'd be following a corporation instead of a team if you did that

In all honesty, what I did was notice a player I really liked watching in the World Cup in 06 (Aaron Lennon because I tend to pull for small, quick, scrappy players and he seemed to be that) and just start following his team (Tottenham). I've been a bit of a Spurs fan ever since and try to catch the odd game that they play on ESPN3.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
it's easy to win when you cheat

BAM
Ohhhhh snap!

Old
01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Not a fan Ribery either. Not a fan of any French players for that matter.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You'd be following a corporation instead of a team if you did that
Like the Flyers?

Old
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Like the Flyers?
No, like AIG or whatever other sponsor's name is on the front of the jersey.

Old
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Like the PECO Power Play
or case of Tastykakes when the Flyers score
or McDonalds tickets for breakfast sandwiches when they score 4 or more
or Wells Fargo Center
or Comcast SportsNet
or Budweiser, Volkswagen logos at center ice
or BMW commercials starring Mike Richards

Face it, we are bombarded with ads in the states. Soccer in England is a 90 minute sport that is on tv for 2 hours. No commercials at all during the 1st or 2nd half.

To compare which is worse.
3.5-4 hours to watch 60 mins of American football
2 hours to watch 90 minutes plus stoppage time of English football with a sponsorship ad on the front of the jersey.

To be honest, our system in America is ****ed up.

Old
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Ahh, fair point. My American-centric view rears its ugly head again, as none of the big four sports in America has sponsors on the jerseys. Like I said, I'm new to this. So, follow the what is it, badge, then, not the name on the back?

And yes, I agree that our system here is screwed up. It's retarded that a single NFL game takes 3 hours.

Old
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Like the PECO Power Play
or case of Tastykakes when the Flyers score
or McDonalds tickets for breakfast sandwiches when they score 4 or more
or Wells Fargo Center
or Comcast SportsNet
or Budweiser, Volkswagen logos at center ice
or BMW commercials starring Mike Richards

Face it, we are bombarded with ads in the states. Soccer in England is a 90 minute sport that is on tv for 2 hours. No commercials at all during the 1st or 2nd half.

To compare which is worse.
3.5-4 hours to watch 60 mins of American football
2 hours to watch 90 minutes plus stoppage time of English football with a sponsorship ad on the front of the jersey.

To be honest, our system in America is ****ed up.
Adjust your sarcasm detector.

Old
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Adjust your sarcasm detector.
Fair point, but do football games really need to take 3 hours?

Old
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Fair point, but do football games really need to take 3 hours?
God no.

Closed Thread