HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Bruins -Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah it was just a stupid mistake, no intent really. Deserved the suspension for recklessness though.

And yes he did apologize to thye bruins bench right after apparently

Old
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Habs, Hawks, Pens and Caps are the only fans I dislike more. Funny thing is that I like their team and hockey history. I think it's a Boston thing in general.
Caps fans? really? am I the only one that can't come up with a persona for that fan base? I guess the one thing I've noticed is that they're loud and talk a lot during home games.

And the only reason why I hate Detroit fans is because they're a lot like Pens fans; I honestly can't tell who's more condescending... it's painful to read through their GDT's sometimes

Old
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
How many "I hope Richards/Hartnell/Briere/whoever suffers a career or life threatening injury tonight" are there?

Flyers fans take a lot of **** about being animals, but apparently that kind of thing is encouraged and accepted over there. Gotta love 'em, don't ya?
Like I said. In this sport, if you're not hated, you're doing something wrong.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Like I said. In this sport, if you're not hated, you're doing something wrong.
There's hating a player/team and hoping for an injury or death for a player. One is a natural reaction and one I revel in. The other is disgusting and my opinion of those who do that is on a par with their IQ.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Flyers93

There's only been one thing missing from the Flyers game this season, and it's fights. Yeah, I'll probably get a flamed a little bit here with "we're leading the conference, winning games" blah, blah, blah. I know that. But there's nothing like a couple of scrappers (not Shelley) shedding the mitts and going at it, I miss it this season. We're only 17th in the league with 21 fights, while PITTSBURGH has almost double. I'd like to see Carcillo and Thornton go at it tonight.

Lets Go Flyers!

Old
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
decadentia

I always knew we had some bad blood, but jesus, a quick look at the Boston GDT shows a lot of seething hatred towards the Flyers lol. I love it.

Though as mentioned, its amusing that most of the posts are "Dirty ****ing Flyers, cheap ****ers...I hope to see Briere get hurt, KILL some of them". Pretty ****ed up stuff over there.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
Caps fans? really? am I the only one that can't come up with a persona for that fan base? I guess the one thing I've noticed is that they're loud and talk a lot during home games.

And the only reason why I hate Detroit fans is because they're a lot like Pens fans; I honestly can't tell who's more condescending... it's painful to read through their GDT's sometimes
Yeah but they've earned the right to be. Their record and Cup wins have shown that, and even in a ****hole town like Detroit, they're still a Top 5 team consistently in terms of attendance. Their fans are dedicated at all times, a lot like Flyers fans, and though I don't like to use that as an excuse to say one team's fans are better than anothers, or fans within a team's fanbase are better for "sticking it out" it's still admirable.

As for the Penguins, pre-lockout they were bottom feeders in the NHL in terms of attendance. Nearly lost the team, and even after winning a Cup, still have only made it higher than 15th in attendance once, and that's this year. Penguins fans are condescending, but have nothing to back up why they deserve to act that way.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
decadentia

I've read a decent amount from Pens fans, they certainly have their idiots who post on the main boards (as do we...) but they do have some critical fans as well.

Not to turn this into a turd throwing contest, but Vancouver has to be my egotistical HFBoard-General Forum pick. It's a select/loud-minority, but man talk about thinking you are the best thing since slice bread. That being said, they are a great team, just be a bit humble.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
There's hating a player/team and hoping for an injury or death for a player. One is a natural reaction and one I revel in. The other is disgusting and my opinion of those who do that is on a par with their IQ.
That sums it up pretty well, but still, Freedom of speech. Let them flaunt their lack of IQ.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcillosMustache View Post
eh? theres a good amount. saw someone say something along the lines of 'i hope richards take a shot to the head'.
haha

i missed the game with the shelley hit - but i thought i read that he apologized almost instantly? could someone elaborate?
He did apologize. And that's great. But personally, I'd feel differently if he wasn't such a goon.

He has a history of other suspensions, and then added the one with the hit on...Alberts?

Regardless..an apology would be different IMO if it was from one of your players with awesome hockey intellect and legit talent. Lets face it, theres a lot of them on your team, but Shelley isn't one of them.

He legit pushes McQuaid from behind in that video. It was a dumb, dangerous move and he's lucky it didn't end a lot worse for Quaid.

I strongly believe his apology was more of a "maybe if I say i'm sorry, they won't suspend me" apology then a "holy **it...I could have jsut ended his career" apology. That's just me.

Hits are part of hockey. Injuries are part of hockey. I get that, I'm not naive. People will get high sticked, and slew footed, and cross checked and sucker punched, and guess what? I'm okay with that. Im not going to call for a penalty or a suspension ever time one of my players gets knocked on his a$$, BUT that hit to me was dirty and under the belt.

I'm glad they suspended him.

And I'm really not trying to start trouble on this board. Just chatting about Shelley is all.

Last edited by LoneWolf54: 01-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old
01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The thing about Shelley is he is actually a nice guy, he is just big and stupid, and that leads to him making stupid dangerous plays.

90% of us don't like Shelley so don't worry about dissing him.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers93 View Post
There's only been one thing missing from the Flyers game this season, and it's fights. Yeah, I'll probably get a flamed a little bit here with "we're leading the conference, winning games" blah, blah, blah. I know that. But there's nothing like a couple of scrappers (not Shelley) shedding the mitts and going at it, I miss it this season. We're only 17th in the league with 21 fights, while PITTSBURGH has almost double. I'd like to see Carcillo and Thornton go at it tonight.

Lets Go Flyers!
There aren't more fights because other teams know that we'd just abuse the hell out of their 4th line if they risked putting a non-skating mother****er out there.

And our forwards are plenty tough anyway.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
None. But there is one, with love, from me to Jody Shelly.

Flyers were my second favorite team (being the first team I ever watched play hockey live for my first two games) until Shelly boarded my all time favorite player thus far. Now Im unsure.

Here's to a good game.
We all hoped he'd receive a 300 game suspension after that hit.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Man, reading there GDT made me realize that there's a lot of venom for Mike Richards out there. Not quite sure why (the Boothe hit?), but whatever.

The most comical thing I've read was that the Krejci hit was illegal last year. I mean, come on.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Man, reading there GDT made me realize that there's a lot of venom for Mike Richards out there. Not quite sure why (the Boothe hit?), but whatever.

The most comical thing I've read was that the Krejci hit was illegal last year. I mean, come on.
Someone said that?!?! Eww.

I love Krejci, but Cmon...isnt the first thing they teach you in any sport "don't break your fall with your hands?" He never should have put his hands down. If he took the open ice hit and landed the smart way, he would have been fine.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Someone said that?!?! Eww.

I love Krejci, but Cmon...isnt the first thing they teach you in any sport "don't break your fall with your hands?" He never should have put his hands down. If he took the open ice hit and landed the smart way, he would have been fine.
I honestly feel like that was one of the big turning points in the series last year. I've always liked Krejci and it was obvious that with him out (and Savard having just come back from a concussion) that they were going to lack some offensive firepower.

I'm curious what's up with Savard recently... I don't watch too many Bruins games but saw his numbers (and GP) are down.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

The hate in the Bruins GDT is awesome. Kill Briere, smoke Giroux, End Richards.
LOL It kind of makes me think the Bruins fan base consists of 15 year olds who play too much Call of Duty.

Hoping for a clean, hard fought game tonight!

Go Flyers Go!

Old
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
I honestly feel like that was one of the big turning points in the series last year. I've always liked Krejci and it was obvious that with him out (and Savard having just come back from a concussion) that they were going to lack some offensive firepower.

I'm curious what's up with Savard recently... I don't watch too many Bruins games but saw his numbers (and GP) are down.
I blame Colin Campbell.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
The hate in the Bruins GDT is awesome. Kill Briere, smoke Giroux, End Richards.
LOL It kind of makes me think the Bruins fan base consists of 15 year olds who play too much Call of Duty.

Hoping for a clean, hard fought game tonight!

Go Flyers Go!
Pwn Boucher!

Old
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Flyers93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
There aren't more fights because other teams know that we'd just abuse the hell out of their 4th line if they risked putting a non-skating mother****er out there.

And our forwards are plenty tough anyway.
Good point, and i'm not questioning our teams toughness at all. We gotta be up in the league in terms of hits and we're always great along the boards. For example, the last game vs Buffalo the Flyers were just pounding them all game.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Wait a minute, Chris Lee is officiating? **** me.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

Quote:

It was one of the big turning points in the series. As was McQuaid leaving injured. I am not saying McQuaid is some all star crazy top pairing defenseman that was carrying the team...because he's not and he wasn't, but Krejci and McQuaid both ending their seasons in that game three, left two roster spots open.

Que Stuart and Savard.

I love both, but niether were ready to come back. By any means. Stuart was playing with an IV in his hand so that he could make it through a whole game. Really? He's a great defenseman, but was he really ready to play the Philadelphia Flyers in Games 4-7 of the second round at 100%? No, probably not.

Savy shouldve listened to Bergeron. He pushed and pushed and pushed to come back and he could have potentially altered his entire career. Bergeron got hurt in 07 and he's just returning to himself NOW. Savy should have stayed out for the rest of the year. He only delayed his recovery. We got desperate after those to injuries, and Savy and Staurt were put to work they couldnt handle.

As for Savy now, he has what...2 goals, 4 assists in 19 games? Its not entirely his fault. We put him back on the first line the minute he came back. Nothing like jumping the gun, eh? Gave him no time to get used to his game again. Since, his line has been switched probably once per game. He's had no time to develope any chemistry with anyone. Hopefully he turns some corners soon.

I cant blame him for the lack of scoring, not being back to himself, etc, but the blind passes to noone and the dumb penalty minutes are killing me. I think he forgets the rules sometimes. Damn Short term Memory loss.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
I'm watching my neighbour's Irish setter take a big dump in my other neighbour's garden. That's got to be an omen. Boogity, Boogity, Boogity!

Old
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Yeah but they've earned the right to be. Their record and Cup wins have shown that, and even in a ****hole town like Detroit, they're still a Top 5 team consistently in terms of attendance. Their fans are dedicated at all times, a lot like Flyers fans, and though I don't like to use that as an excuse to say one team's fans are better than anothers, or fans within a team's fanbase are better for "sticking it out" it's still admirable.

As for the Penguins, pre-lockout they were bottom feeders in the NHL in terms of attendance. Nearly lost the team, and even after winning a Cup, still have only made it higher than 15th in attendance once, and that's this year. Penguins fans are condescending, but have nothing to back up why they deserve to act that way.
I'm from Philly, but I'm living outside of Detroit now, so I take offense to that. It's a very nice ****hole, thank you very much.

Old
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
CharlieGirl

Now that I've had a chance to read through the GDT -- amazing as usual MSE! Thank you!! That video of Lappy gets me every time!

Here's to a good, hard fought, clean game that ends with a Flyers win!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

Closed Thread