HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: #45 vs. Vancouver Canucks

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: #45 vs. Canucks
Brian Boyle 52 23.01%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 0.88%
Marian Gaborik 2 0.88%
Matt Gilroy 4 1.77%
Henrik Lundqvist 148 65.49%
Ryan McDonagh 1 0.44%
Brandon Prust 1 0.44%
Marc Staal 4 1.77%
Wojtek Wolski 9 3.98%
Mats Zuccarello 2 0.88%
Other 1 0.44%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
On another note, what was MZA's total ice time? Didn't notice him out there much.
12:31

1 SOG

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
OverTheCap

Just got back from the game. What a great atmosphere, the Garden was rocking tonight. I saw on the main board that Nucks fan were saying the game was boring and nothing can be further than the truth, it was very exciting.

Some observations:

-Lundqvist was exceptional. When I see people complain about the season he's had so far, I don't think they realize how good he's been. He's well on his way to another Vezina nomination.

-Team defense was great... blocking shots, killing penalties, taking the body.

-Dubinsky and Zuccarello have good chemistry together. Wish MZA was able to finish some of those chances, though, he had some prime opportunities tonight.

-Tonight was the first game that I was really impressed with McDonagh. Multiple times I saw him take a forward out of the play one-on-one. He so has a a low, accurate shot that could be useful on the PP someday. This kid's a keeper.

-Would have been great for Gaborik's confidence if he scored on the breakaway, but, alas....

-GardenVision had some ridiculous fist-pumping competition between two sections in the 300s. Huge there. Before you know it, they'll be selling Ron-Ron Juice at MSG.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Just got back from the game. What a great atmosphere, the Garden was rocking tonight. I saw on the main board that Nucks fan were saying the game was boring and nothing can be further than the truth, it was very exciting.

Some observations:

-Lundqvist was exceptional. When I see people complain about the season he's had so far, I don't think they realize how good he's been. He's well on his way to another Vezina nomination.

-Team defense was great... blocking shots, killing penalties, taking the body.

-Dubinsky and Zuccarello have good chemistry together. Wish MZA was able to finish some of those chances, though, he had some prime opportunities tonight.

-Tonight was the first game that I was really impressed with McDonagh. Multiple times I saw him take a forward out of the play one-on-one. He so has a a low, accurate shot that could be useful on the PP someday. This kid's a keeper.

-Would have been great for Gaborik's confidence if he scored on the breakaway, but, alas....

-GardenVision had some ridiculous fist-pumping competition between two sections in the 300s. Huge there. Before you know it, they'll be selling Ron-Ron Juice at MSG.
Haha I was at the game too. All I could do was shake my head when I saw that...

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
They're saying we play the trap. Every time a team gets a beat in a close game, they're fans come on here and say the winning team "trapped".

People don't even use the term right anymore. Anytime a team plays a somewhat defense oriented system, they're accused of "trapping". It's pathetic.
Didn't you know 1-0 outcome means slow game and thus the infamous TRAP style.
But seriousl any idiot that knows anything about hockey and forechecking can recognize a 1-2-2- system when they see it but mr.center ice over there on the main board who admittedly watched two ranger games all year(which was when I stopped taking him seriously) thinks that because we forecheck with one guy(successfully) and play good neutral zone defense and high zone area defense were playing trap.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Schweiker17

i loved seeing MZA get his hands dirty during the paly, and throw a couple of checks

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
On another note, what was MZA's total ice time? Didn't notice him out there much.
He had a couple of nice passes, he had limited ice time due to how much defense the we had to play all game.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Cha-ching.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
TrollololBoyle

I was extremely impressed with McDonagh and Gilroy together in this game.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think a small honorable mention has to go to Matt Gilroy in this one.

The guy has really put it together the last few weeks and hes playing some very consistent hockey both defensively and up front.

It seems like hes confident enough in his play to stand up at the line, pinch in, cover up for himself or a teammate and is taking the body correctly to separate the opposition from the net or the play...

Very quietly this guy is starting to give the Rangers some very good minutes, and IMO its going to start paying dividends on the scoresheet, if it hasnt already. We are seeing flashes of when he broke in with the team and if he continues to play like this he can be a very important cog to the system both full strength and on the PP.

I dont want to gush too much, because the Rangers got solid efforts up and down the entire lineup tonight. But Gilroy is starting to make his mark on more and more games and the Rangers are going to be a better team because of it. Heres to hoping he keeps it up...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:28 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I was extremely impressed with McDonagh and Gilroy together in this game.
This was McDonagh's best game yet in my opinion. It seems like as the games go by he is getting more and more comfortable. Hope he keeps it up.

WeWillWinTonight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think a small honorable mention has to go to Matt Gilroy in this one.
Gilly has looked really confident ever since that game against the Isles when he scored 2 goals.

McDonagh has settled down too. I love that.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

As far as the game goes - fantastic, entertaining, and dare is say prophetic game for the Rangers.

There are games in the season that propel a team and this could be one of them. With all the injuries this was a sick win. Everyone and i mean everyone showed up tonight.

I went over to the Nucks board and i posted that the Boyle line was a very important line for the Rangers and im sure a majority of them shrugged off that comment. Well they sure saw it tonight. I'm really proud of this team and the coach.

You know theres a lot of positives going on with this team this year. But i'm extremely impressed with the consistency this team is showing. I'm flat out stoked with this teams effort, personality, passion and emotion to be perfectly honest. I mean you can go down the lineup on a nightly basis and point out a player who really plays his role well and adds to what this team needs to do to be successful. And quietly. And honest. And always with the team in mind.

I dont know about you guys but to me those things add up to a damn good team and one i'll be confident when the puck drops in the second season. I dont know where this team will ultimately end up this year, but there are tons of younsters on this team and there are champions in a lot of them the way the play. Again, im just being honest and im trying to stop myself from getting too overboard here. Im just really happy the way things are going right now and the future is very bright imo.

Torts mentioned in one of the wins, i think it was that wild Pitt OT winner with Dubi and Cally. He said it wasnt the goal and the win that satisfied him, it was the way they celebrated after. Genuinely happy for eachother. That goes a long way in this sport. This team has got eachothers back, you can see it. Messier always used to talk about that with the Oiler teams that won the cups. Again, i hope im not gushing too much, but i just have to be really honest with what im feeling and seeing out there, regardless of what the final outcome is this year. Its great to see and its great to be a Rangers fan right now.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-13-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old
01-13-2011, 11:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post

Cha-ching.
Much better than the Wolski one.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I'd just like to say that the penalty on drury was a complete and utter joke.

"Oh yeah, I totally planned to wack it out of mid air and send it into the crowd"

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal18 View Post
This was McDonagh's best game yet in my opinion. It seems like as the games go by he is getting more and more comfortable. Hope he keeps it up.
McDonagh blew me away on a couple of decisions he made tonight. His footspeed recovery, balance and decision making really impressed me tonight.

Now all they need now is a guy who can win some faceoffs.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I'd just like to say that the penalty on drury was a complete and utter joke.

"Oh yeah, I totally planned to wack it out of mid air and send it into the crowd"
Yeah, it was simply awful. Okay, maybe real-time, someone lost their head. But they actually got together, talked about it, and still called it.

Ah well, we beat the 'Nucks anyway. Sweet.

Old
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Just got back from the game, and man was the Garden rocking tonight. It was amazing. Everyone was into it from the moment I got there.

We beat the #1 in the league, Lundy played great, and Wolski pots his first for the GW.

I had to give the vote to Boyle though. He just had an amazing game. Highlight of the game was Boyle on the 5 on 3. He had a bunch of great plays.

Im ecstatic about the game, and about this team. Imagine when we get callahan back. Oh baby. Lets Go Rangers.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Also some other notes.

Live, it actually looked like Drury whacked it into the crowd on purpose. I haven't seen a replay yet though. I thought McDonaugh had a HELLUVA game, absolutely great defense.

Sauer has such poise when he has the puck in our zone. He doesnt force anything and just waits for the open man. Great player. Will be a great 3/4 for us to have on the Blue line.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
trilobyte

See that play where McDonagh muscled the attacking Canuck forward off the puck and to the outside, and then took a quick look and kicked the puck to a teammate?

That was one nice complete play by McDonagh. It's not the kind of thing that happens by fluke.

trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiker17 View Post
i loved seeing MZA get his hands dirty during the paly, and throw a couple of checks
He's a small player, but definitely not soft.

Small players who are also soft don't make it very far.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He did that in the Habs game, too. He latches onto a forward and doesn't let himself get muscled off. It's actually really sick how strong McD is on his skates.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:06 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He did that in the Habs game, too. He latches onto a forward and doesn't let himself get muscled off. It's actually really sick how strong McD is on his skates.
I remember when he rag dolled Tedenby. Guy is an ox.

01-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Marc Staal

Just got back from the game. Playoff atmosphere.

Best reg. season game ive ever been too.

LGR!!!

Marc Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:21 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Nice win.

The good.

Aside from all the individual player accolades, it was special teams. The power play actually looked legitimate and contributed to the win and the PK was stellar.

The bad.

More missed opportunities. 10 goals in the last 7 games. While it's nice to see they can grind out 1-0 and 2-1 type wins they wouldn't need to if they could bury some more of those good chances. They don't seem to be getting some of the bounces they were getting earlier in the season.

The Redden.

The referees were horrible. If you watch the replay on Drury's penalty it looked like to me that the linesman was indicating a deflection and calling for a face-off inside the Rangers zone. Guess he was overruled. The attempt to free Staal's home boys from incarceration speaks for itself.

DoTheBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
The referees were horrible. If you watch the replay on Drury's penalty it looked like to me that the linesman was indicating a deflection and calling for a face-off inside the Rangers zone. Guess he was overruled. The attempt to free Staal's home boys from incarceration speaks for itself.
Yeah I saw that too. He was definitely motioning deflection, and wasn't looking at Drury as you'd expect him to be if he was going to call one on him. As you said, guess he was overruled. Stupid, as the play happened right in front of him.