HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL ready for flurry of activity

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
NHL ready for flurry of activity

Nashville could be player in deep free-agent market

Oh, look to the right, #1 on the list is Jason Arnott

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....507010418/1028

Old
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
He's only number one because his name starts with an 'a', though he's pretty high up on the list. I can't imagine he's going to command top dollar. He'd probably provide about what you'd expect in production from Legwand next year, but he does have size and uses it fairly effectively. He's not bad in his own zone and wins faceoffs.

I think he could do well being used interchangeably with Legwand on the first/second line.

Any guesses on what type of salary he'll command? He made 3.8 million in his last year with Dallas. I can't imagine that he'd command that in the new market. If he's going to take around 4 million, why not spend the extra couple of mil and take Forsberg. I'd say Arnott can be had for around 3 million, hopefully less.

Old
07-01-2005, 12:32 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He's only number one because his name starts with an 'a', though he's pretty high up on the list. I can't imagine he's going to command top dollar. He'd probably provide about what you'd expect in production from Legwand next year, but he does have size and uses it fairly effectively. He's not bad in his own zone and wins faceoffs.

I think he could do well being used interchangeably with Legwand on the first/second line.

Any guesses on what type of salary he'll command? He made 3.8 million in his last year with Dallas. I can't imagine that he'd command that in the new market. If he's going to take around 4 million, why not spend the extra couple of mil and take Forsberg. I'd say Arnott can be had for around 3 million, hopefully less.
Ya Arnott would not look bad at all in a Preds sweater, and you are right; I don't think he could command the 4 million he made last year. Who would you rather have Arnott at 3 per or Allison at 1.8-2 per with incentives. I think I would lean towards Arnott myself.

Old
07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Ya Arnott would not look bad at all in a Preds sweater, and you are right; I don't think he could command the 4 million he made last year. Who would you rather have Arnott at 3 per or Allison at 1.8-2 per with incentives. I think I would lean towards Arnott myself.
We could do both and wave bye to Greg Johnson. I've never been a big fan of Johnson's on-ice product, but I'm sure he's great in the lockerroom. The same cannot be said for Allison/Arnott.

That trio of centers would be great, especially if Allison stays healthy. He would instantly be our first line center (if healthy) and Arnott and Legwand are both very capable of playing either 2nd/3rd line role. Allison is also a solid faceoff guy (he had a 54+% in his last full year with L.A.). Neither Arnott/Allison are as good as Johnson is, but combined the could most certainly offset that aspect of the game.

I love Allison and think he could potentially work well with Sullivan and Walker. Allison is a great playmaker and could make both Walker and Sullivan 30+ goal candidates.

His injury concern worries me though. We would have 2/3rd of our top line filled with players who are injury prone. It could be a boom or bust situation for us. We could be one of the better teams in the West with this lineup:

Sullivan - Allison - Walker
Erat - Arnott - Hartnell
Orszagh - Legwand - *Hall
Tootoo - Arkhipov - McKenzie/Stevenson

With Gamache, Upshall, Pivko, and Haydar all nipping at the heels for playing time on the big squad.

or something like this if we want to get picky about LW playing on the left side.

Hartnell - Allison - Sullivan
Erat - Arnott - Walker
Orszagh - Legwand - *Hall

*Hall could even take faceoffs for Legwand. He at 56+% last year during the regular season though his numbers slipped dramatically when facing the likes of Lang, Draper, and Yzerman (all 56+% in the playoffs).

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-01-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to see Arnott between Hall and Hartnell. I'd like to keep Legwand and Erat together as much as possible too, they did well together the limited time they got together last year.

Old
07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I'd like to see Arnott between Hall and Hartnell. I'd like to keep Legwand and Erat together as much as possible too, they did well together the limited time they got together last year.
My lines are more or less from my head and basically a positional ranking i.e. #1 LW on line 1. #2 LW on line 2. That and I tried to factor in style complements.

I'm in no position to judge chemistry, but the Arnott, Hall, Hartnell line might be consolidating our size too much. I'm not sure how Trotz would view it, but it would mean we'd have some pretty undersized lines surrounding it.

Old
07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Help me out a bit here guys. I just threw some numbers into Excel and then estimated next year's contract values for those players that we will resign (Hamhuis, Erat, etc.).

Here is my 13 forward/7 Dman/2 Goalie roster for the Preds. I only have 11 forwards listed. The other two are fillers that I'm sure will only make around 400k each. I only have 5 Dmen listed but I didn't put any fillers in because I don't feel that the D-core is such that I can guess what level those fillers will be at quality wise.

Several of my assumption involved the signing of Allison and Arnott at 3 mil per (I was very liberal in this figure).

To help us get a better understanding of what our payroll will look like, I'd love some feedback on what you feel contract price will be for guys like Legwand, Hartnell, Erat, etc.

Edit, well maybe if I could figure out how to add the attachment...any help on that as well would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Potential Predator Contracts.bmp‎ (467.0 KB, 1 views)

Closed Thread