HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Bruins -Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011

Old
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
RT @DNFlyers: Claude Julien: "I didn’t see anything. We can talk about that or ... talk about the offsides on Zherdev’s goal. It all evens out, right?"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
I dont think Carle should be blamed too much on that failed clear. Yes, he shoulda cleared it, but it's not like he placed the puck onto a dangerous Bruin forward in a prime scoring position.

He failed to clear, the Bruin took a nothing shot that shoulda caused no problem. The shot should have been stopped and that wouldve been the end of it.

It's hockey, Dmen do not always succeed in clearing the puck outta the zone, as long as they dont put the puck right onto the other team's stick while they are in a prime scoring position.....

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Julien is an idiot. Z was onsides. You could even tell from the straight on camera view.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I dont think Carle should be blamed too much on that failed clear. Yes, he shoulda cleared it, but it's not like he placed the puck onto a dangerous Bruin forward in a prime scoring position.

He failed to clear, the Bruin took a nothing shot that shoulda caused no problem. The shot should have been stopped and that wouldve been the end of it.

It's hockey, Dmen do not always succeed in clearing the puck outta the zone, as long as they dont put the puck right onto the other team's stick while they are in a prime scoring position.....
That, and if you hear the announcers, it wasn't a blind pass. He fumbled the puck, but actually made the *right* play in swinging it around the boards. Who messed up on that play?

Ville Leino, who was out cherry picking past the blue line. Carle didn't have a great game, but that's what you're *supposed* to do as a d-man when you have no time. Keep it to the outside, chip it up the boards and get support.

Your forward is supposed to be high on the boards to get it out of the zone the rest of the way.

I swear, I feel like some of you don't know hockey at all, and blame your typical scapegoats regardless.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
They don't show Carle screwing up, but as far as Boucher is concerned, it's a bit of both of what you guys are saying. His angle was bad so it could be considered a weak goal, but on the same token you have to give credit for the shooter for a wicked, perfectly placed shot.

Also, like I said before, I can forgive Boosh for one bad game here. He's supposed to be our backup and Laviolette has been riding him hard for how many games now and Boosh has been churning out quality performances for how many games before this one?
Both Carle and Meszaros lined up to screen him too... Meszaros was acceptable, but Carle has gotta block that if he's going to position himself like that between the goalie and the puck. Boucher never saw that puck.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
That, and if you hear the announcers, it wasn't a blind pass. He fumbled the puck, but actually made the *right* play in swinging it around the boards. Who messed up on that play?

Ville Leino, who was out cherry picking past the blue line. Carle didn't have a great game, but that's what you're *supposed* to do as a d-man when you have no time. Keep it to the outside, chip it up the boards and get support.

Your forward is supposed to be high on the boards to get it out of the zone the rest of the way.

I swear, I feel like some of you don't know hockey at all, and blame your typical scapegoats regardless.
You would have to see the overhead cam to see where Leino was at the beginning of the play. Carle looked like he was going to push the puck back up the wall (away from Leino's side) or simply carry the puck around himself, and then he fumbled the puck and panicked and put it around the boards.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Both Carle and Meszaros lined up to screen him too... Meszaros was acceptable, but Carle has gotta block that if he's going to position himself like that between the goalie and the puck. Boucher never saw that puck.
Yeah, I just watched it again. You're right. Carle was directly in front of Boosh when that shot got released (like, directly in front of Boosh).

So, with that considered, it is a bit hard to blame Boosh there. Carle deserves most of the blame there.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
CharlieGirl

What the hell happened here?

We had friends drop in and the last I saw it was 3-2 Flyers.

I'm gonna have to read through this one...

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:01 AM
flyersguy33*

its not worth it

save your time

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:12 AM
drownedsailors

ahaha according to the Bruins fans all of our goals came from cherry picking...they've been smoking too much Jack Edwards

...13 goals in their last 2 games? Boston just has so much firepower

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
He's the worst. Absolute worst. He's the Karl Hess of the NHL (if anybody watches ACC basketball you know what I mean).
Karl Hess was a Ranger and a Flame, so I can understand a Flyers fan not likiing him. I'll tell him you said "Hi." Don't insult him by calling him Chris Lee.

As for the game, this one felt like another showcase game. Walker is no better than a 6th D on this team. Why have him on the roster at $1.7M? Send him to Adk and tell him we'll see you in camp in September. Putting Carle with him was to show someone else in the NHL that Carle could be the lead man of a defense pairing. That wasn't true at all. Mez should have played with Walker and Carle with O'Donnell. Better yet, Bartulis should have played with O'Donnell. A kid at $600,000 making mistakes is less painful in January than veterans making much, much more.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Listen, I'm pissed at Boosh, he had a horrible game. But it's one bad game. FFS, TT let in FIVE goals!! Should Boston ship him out too?
Its inconsistant goaltending that is going to be this teams undoing. Everyone knows what Boucher is. He is a backup goalie capable of going on hot stretches like he had before tonight. He isnt a starter. period. Boucher was bad tonight. people always want to make excuses for Boucher because hes a fan favorite and was drafted by this organization. Anytime Boucher starts you dont know what you are going to get. the goalie that stole the NJ game or the one that didnt do his job tonight. Even if a couple werent his fault he still didnt do his job IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Waiting for DenverBoone to come in and defend Carle this time...

Its no different then the people who think boucher never gives up a bad goal and think that nothing is his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Waive Walker, because now we know no one will claim him.

Receive cap space. Put Bart back in, boy has been paying his dues.
Walker and Shelley wont get waived. they are Holmgren's boys. players like what those 2 "bring" dont get waived by this organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm not commenting on whether or not Boosh was bad. This was just one of those types of games. I did comment that Laviolette deserves some blame here if you're this this ready to jump on Boosh for a bad game though. Just a few posts back.

how can you blame Laviolette for putting in Boucher? i think we all agreed Boucher playing against Boston and Bobrovsky playing against Atlanta was the right move. What if Bobrovsky started and gave up 5 goals? people would ***** that we didnt play Boucher because he was the "hot goalie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i've been sitting on this for awhile, since Leights dont dumped..

and sure enuf the REAL Boosh shows up...

say what you want but Boosh is NOT the answer..

he doesnt have the mental tuffness, to win a cup.. he played almost exactly the same game when he was in Vancouver.. when the other team starts a lead and gets under his skin he folds like a cheap tent..

im sooooooooo done with the Boosh experiment, since my boy is gone, ive basicly resigned myself to expecting a early exit out of the playoffs, if we really do try riding boosh/bob to the cup hunt..

ps nice to see Z playing... hes my only player of interest now..
We dont need bandwagon fans. your boy sucks and is a career backup. He will NEVER, EVER duplicate what he did in the playoffs last year.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

thats 3 games now where this team has imploded both defensively and in goal. the 8-7 game against TB, the blown 3 goal lead against SJ and tonight. 6 blown points.
Say what you want about bad bounces, bad luck, or the popular **** the refs excuse.
How many of the SC "contenders" have 3 loses when scoring 4 or more goals.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
thats 3 games now where this team has imploded both defensively and in goal. the 8-7 game against TB, the blown 3 goal lead against SJ and tonight. 6 blown points.
Say what you want about bad bounces, bad luck, or the popular **** the refs excuse.
How many of the SC "contenders" have 3 loses when scoring 4 or more goals.
Last year's Caps.

Does that make you feel better?

edit: Also, and I can not emphasize this enough, but putting Walker into this game was dumber than chewing on rocks with all your might.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:28 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
What really ****ing pissed me off was Briere's stupid ****ing penalty he took.

Why did we start Walker? Come on.

Carle sucks.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:33 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i've been sitting on this for awhile, since Leights dont dumped..

and sure enuf the REAL Boosh shows up...

say what you want but Boosh is NOT the answer..

he doesnt have the mental tuffness, to win a cup.. he played almost exactly the same game when he was in Vancouver.. when the other team starts a lead and gets under his skin he folds like a cheap tent..

im sooooooooo done with the Boosh experiment, since my boy is gone, ive basicly resigned myself to expecting a early exit out of the playoffs, if we really do try riding boosh/bob to the cup hunt..

ps nice to see Z playing... hes my only player of interest now..
First of all, no one here said Bouch was the answer. So you're wrong about that. Hell, we saw "your boy" show up in the Cup Final. As soon as he stepped back inside Chicago, he fell apart.

Second of all, every time Z is scratched, we win. Every time.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Last year's Caps.

Does that make you feel better?

edit: Also, and I can not emphasize this enough, but putting Walker into this game was dumber than chewing on rocks with all your might.
This year's Red Wings, too.

That was the first time this season the Flyers lost by two goals. They are now 16-7 in games decided by two or more goals, but just 11-9 in one-goal games. For all the focus on defense in preparing for the season, the team is still struggling in close games.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:01 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I could come in here and complain about Flyers' players, but I'm going to take the high road and just say I hate the Ric Flair "WOO!!!" at the end of Boston's goal announcements. Annoys me more than Jack Edwards.

Speaking of Edwards, he didn't make me want to reach into the tv and throttle him as much as he usually does.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

didnt realize this years Detroit team have lost 3 games when scoring 4 or more goals. Just gets frustrating that every season we have too many games like this. You score 5 goals on a goalie like Thomas you should win. every single time.
Matt Walker, Matt Carle. I dont give a ****. You should trust your goalie to make a couple more saves then he made to win the hockey game tonight

Old
01-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Good
Richie had a strong game
HBL line still sexy
Any time we can **** up TT's save percentage, I'm a happy man.

Bad
Boosh
Our luck
Officiating

Ugly
Carle
Walker

Shelley

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:53 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Glad OD got his first goal as a Flyer, and am glad Z came back and got some points.

I really like OD he is a perfect 3rd pairing vet. I wonder if he has any gas left for next year

Also FlyHigh: it's funny that you try to blame Carle's horrible game purely on Walker when Walker was only -1 yet Carle was -3. I thought you had given up Carle supporting.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 01-14-2011 at 06:05 AM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:07 AM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

We dont need bandwagon fans. your boy sucks and is a career backup. He will NEVER, EVER duplicate what he did in the playoffs last year.
I agree with you, but let's not exaggerate the case. Maybe not you specifically, but 99% of the people here said the same thing after he won a couple games last year, and still after he won a couple more, and still after he won a couple more, all the way to the finals when people finally seemed happy again because he didn't play well.

I think it was worth losing the finals for some people so their opinions could be validated.

Again, I agree with you - but with the caveat that a lot of people made the same strong predictions every 2 or 3 games last year and he kept winning games.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:10 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
I agree with you, but let's not exaggerate the case. Maybe not you specifically, but 99% of the people here said the same thing after he won a couple games last year, and still after he won a couple more, and still after he won a couple more, all the way to the finals when people finally seemed happy again because he didn't play well.

I think it was worth losing the finals for some people so their opinions could be validated.

Again, I agree with you - but with the caveat that a lot of people made the same strong predictions every 2 or 3 games last year and he kept winning games.
Because Leighton isn't a good goalie, his positioning is horrible as is his rebound control. He worked passably for us because he is big and our D can help his rebounds

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:48 AM
CharlieGirl

I just caught the highlights. Wow, the Flyers got screwed over royally.

How the HELL don't the refs see that the puck touched the netting? It's not as though it just barely brushed it -- it got caught up in it for a second.

The gift 5 on 3 in the first was bad, but the tying goal was far, far worse.

Congratulations on being given 2 points Bruins.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

You guys put up a 5 spot on Thomas and couldn't seal the deal. Don't blame the refs.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote