HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/PHX] Rangers acquire Wolski from PHX for Rozsival

Old
01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Wolski sounded astonished when describing the team's PK and over all effort level during a first intermission interview. Hopefully, this work ethic rubs off on him.

Dubinsky also retrieved the puck for him after the goal, so he has a nice souvenir.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Wolski sounded astonished when describing the team's PK and over all effort level during a first intermission interview. Hopefully, this work ethic rubs off on him.

Dubinsky also retrieved the puck for him after the goal, so he has a nice souvenir.
If he buys into the team atmosphere, which so far, in the very limited sample, it looks like he is, the Rangers have a real keeper.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I remember hearing a lot about wolski buying into the "team" atmosphere around this time last year as well...

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
I remember hearing a lot about wolski buying into the "team" atmosphere around this time last year as well...
Hey, we could be wrong. But we're encouraged in the early going.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:21 AM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Unfortunately, that's true. Maybe Wolski will change, but he seems like the type of guy that will bounce from one team to another due to his ability to get in the coach's doghouse, but still produce enough for another team to take a chance on him.

At the least I'm sure he'll produce for the rest of the season and he does play well in the playoffs. So even if he doesn't change his work ethic, this trade will still help NYR in the short term.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:39 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If he buys into the team atmosphere, which so far, in the very limited sample, it looks like he is, the Rangers have a real keeper.
That's the easy part with Wolski. The problem is keeping him hungry. He gets comfortable too quickly. It can be incredibly frustrating. If he ever gets in trouble with the team, he lacks the inner motivation to take his lumps, collect himself, and come back. I don't mean to sound down on you, I hope he gets it together.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
What's the over/under for Wolski to land in the doghouse?

I am guessing 10 games into next season.

Enjoy him while he's gotten his wake up call, Rangers fans!

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:44 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Wolski is very well spoken in front of the camera, and has always said the right things. What he says usually doesn't end up being shown on the ice. I have no ill will towards Wolski, and I wish him well. He can be a hell of a player if he wants to be.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
What's the over/under for Wolski to land in the doghouse?

I am guessing 10 games into next season.

Enjoy him while he's gotten his wake up call, Rangers fans!
they traded a 5 million dollar cap hit in Rozsival and acquired a highly talented winger to play with Gaborik which the team lacked............regardless of how you shake it the deal is worth the risk.

he is the 2nd LW on the depth charts behind Dubinsky. Nothing wrong with that combo.

It also saves a few bucks on the cap to sign their RFA's and squeaking out more cash to throw at Richards as a UFA

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It was never a question of whether Wolski can get motivated for month or two after being granted a trade request. The problem with Wolski is his ability to rally when things aren't going his way. He is a player that seems incapable of working his way out of a tough spot.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
Jovo was always someone to feed off the passion in the Vancouver market. Left it all on the ice and truly cared about the team, especially when he came back from a lengthy injury and played like an animal down the stretch in 2005-06 where the Canucks missed the playoffs by a couple points.

After he signed with the Coyotes he made a comment that he was a little hurt that Vancouver didn't even tender him an offer after all his years there. A player and person I wish the Canucks had kept.

I imagine he's become a little indifferent due to the uncertainty with ownership and management in Phoenix.
Nice uninformed post. WATCH the games. Jovo still plays with a high level of intensity, but his game has dropped off some with age. He played a hard style that has aged him, but often defensemen have their numbers go down with age anyway (just look at Aucoin), not to mention the fact he's in more of a defensive role than he used to be--rarely getting first PP time with Yandle the go-to guy in that respect.

I love when guys look at the stats sheet and make assumptions based off how many assists a guy gets in a year...

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:21 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl2VinceNeil View Post
Stats don't always tell the story with defensemen.
You're right, but as an objective unbiased outsider on the argument who has watched Jovo both as a Canuck and a Yote, its clear Jovo isn't what he was in Vancouver. From what I've read and seen, Id day by far Yandle has been the best defenseman for Phoenix this year.

No knock at Jovo, but he isn't the Norris contender he once was. He's playing pretty well, still has his skating and shot. Not bad defensively, but definitely not worth the 6 mill a year.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Its like certain posters are trying to gloat about just how little they know about Jovanovski's career in Phoenix. Seriously Donny, you are WAAAY out of your element.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
You're right, but as an objective unbiased outsider on the argument who has watched Jovo both as a Canuck and a Yote, its clear Jovo isn't what he was in Vancouver. From what I've read and seen, Id day by far Yandle has been the best defenseman for Phoenix this year.

No knock at Jovo, but he isn't the Norris contender he once was. He's playing pretty well, still has his skating and shot. Not bad defensively, but definitely not worth the 6 mill a year.
I want to make sure that I'm not lumping you in with the rest, as your take is logical. Still, I feel compelled to make the point that Jovo had one notable Norris talk season in Vancouver. Just one. The change that has occurred in Phoenix is that he has become astronomically more responsible. He's still a hot head but not a total brute. He still suffers the occasional bout of severe myopia, but generally makes the correct play with the puck. He has become the consummate role model and is in no noticeable way the party boy playboy he once had the reputation of being. Is he the dynamic, end to end rushing, no holds barred, crowd pleasing liability he once was? Absolutely not. He's now a great example of what you want in a veteran two-way player. The riverboat gambling has given way to a decidedly more measured player. As a Coyotes fan, I'm very grateful of that change.

As an aside, I am well aware of his career prior to Phoenix. I remember quite well the anxiety his dangerous presence as a Canuck instilled in me. I'm equally as aware of the anxiety that same style provided me in his early Phoenix days.

Old
01-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Not to mention that Jovo played in Vancouver in the era when size was king and ruled all. That certainly suited his game at a young age when he could let his passion run riot and not get called on stupid penalties. It's a tougher game for him now but he has adjusted.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Back on topic - I think we're going to hear a lot of "Gaborik-Wolski and Wolski-Gaborik" in the weeks to come. Wolski entered a similar highly motivated, hard-working team environment in Phoenix last season and took off at a PPG rate as well. I think he has a better chance in New York with Gaborik around which puts less pressure on him to be the main man.

Hopefully Roszival brings something valuable to the Coyotes.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:21 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

you really get the sense from wolski's interviews that he's never played in the EC. He seems to be completely surprised at the level of play and how willing EC players are to bock shots/take the body. Seems stereotypes aren't just for fans.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
brfeldman

does anybody have the interview

brfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:05 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Unfortunately, that's true. Maybe Wolski will change, but he seems like the type of guy that will bounce from one team to another due to his ability to get in the coach's doghouse, but still produce enough for another team to take a chance on him.

At the least I'm sure he'll produce for the rest of the season and he does play well in the playoffs. So even if he doesn't change his work ethic, this trade will still help NYR in the short term.
as a NYR fan this is how i see it too. i really do see him contributing and playing strongly through the playoffs (however far we may go ).

but i don't see him lasting past next season's trade deadline at the latest. these "mental" issues do not bode well. however, i do believe that if there is a coach that can instill that extra motivation and toughness into his career it's torts and his crew. he has done a helluva coaching our guys this year (boyle and eminger are obvious eye-popping examples, but the whole team too).

it's entirely up to wolski IMO. his spot to lose.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I want to make sure that I'm not lumping you in with the rest, as your take is logical. Still, I feel compelled to make the point that Jovo had one notable Norris talk season in Vancouver. Just one.
That's exactly why I said once was. He had a couple of good seasons that put him in contention for it. It's not like he was a perennial contender.

Quote:
The change that has occurred in Phoenix is that he has become astronomically more responsible. He's still a hot head but not a total brute. He still suffers the occasional bout of severe myopia, but generally makes the correct play with the puck. He has become the consummate role model and is in no noticeable way the party boy playboy he once had the reputation of being.
I would happen to agree to an extent. Role model is pushing it, but he's definitely calmed his game down a bit for his own good. However, it also depends on what your view of a "Role Model" should be. He just doesn't fit my bill of it.

Quote:
Is he the dynamic, end to end rushing, no holds barred, crowd pleasing liability he once was? Absolutely not. He's now a great example of what you want in a veteran two-way player. The riverboat gambling has given way to a decidedly more measured player. As a Coyotes fan, I'm very grateful of that change.
No, he's not, but I'm pretty sure that we can both say at times that you still see glimpses here and there of the end-to-end lead rushing, puck moving defender that was once considered amongst the league's top defenders.

Quote:
As an aside, I am well aware of his career prior to Phoenix. I remember quite well the anxiety his dangerous presence as a Canuck instilled in me. I'm equally as aware of the anxiety that same style provided me in his early Phoenix days.
As I stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Not to mention that Jovo played in Vancouver in the era when size was king and ruled all. That certainly suited his game at a young age when he could let his passion run riot and not get called on stupid penalties. It's a tougher game for him now but he has adjusted.
While it's a fair point, I'm of the crowd that didn't think Jovo had a massive dropoff. Noticeable, but not massive.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
nyrleetch

How has Rozy played for the Coyotes so far?

Or is he still day to day.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post

hasn't suited up yet.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:28 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post

Phoenix undefeated since the trade.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

just a little update on this from le droit

Quote:
Selon la rumeur, les Coyotes de Phoenix ont songé à envoyer Wojtek Wolski aux Sénateurs au début du mois. En retour, Bryan Murray aurait envoyé Filip Kuba dans le désert. La direction des Coyotes a finalement expédié Wolski à New York en retour de Michal Roszival. La direction des Sénateurs pourrait-elle refiler le grand et fragile défenseur tchèque à une autre formation ?
from: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/s...3_section_POS3

basically, phoenix and ottawa had a wolski for kuba agreement, and phoenix ultimately decided to take the NYR offer instead.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote