Hiller's Performance Discussion

Old
01-05-2011, 04:43 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I don't see how Quick is involved in this topic, he's not a great goaltender at all, he's miles below Hiller and most other number 1 goalies IMO. At least until he does something decent in the playoffs or be consistent throughout the regular season.
Objective fan doing a fact check here... Let me begin by saying I like Hiller a lot, I'd put him between 10th and 15th best G overall consistently but he's not miles ahead of quick. They're about even, as LA is a better defensive team and I think Hiller would put up approx the same numbers on the same team. With all that said, Hiller gets no love, it is a shame. If you guys can improve your D next year and find more scoring depth, you'll have a tough team to beat.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:56 AM
POUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper35 View Post
Precisely. I'm from Palmdale (L.A. County) and now reside in San Jose, half a mile from the H.P. Pavillion, yet I absolutely detest the Kings and the Sharks. Who cares where he is as long as he tears up every time he sees the video of Selanne finally hoisting the cup?
To be fair, any hockey fan should tear up seeing Selanne hoist the cup. Though I am a rabid Ducks fan living in little ol' LA. You know how hard it is to get a drink while wearing a Selanne shirt with a Kings fan behind the bar?

POUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Unholy

LeBrun giving Hiller his due

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...hiller-his-due

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
JtotheLew

Was just going to post that, would love to see him at the all-star game

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Has been keeping the Ducks in games all season.

Sure, the guy gives up the occasional softie, but I am very happy to have him as our number one goaltender.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
JtotheLew

Quote:
How am I in the wrong? The Ducks system encourages shots from low percentage areas meaning SV% is a bad stat to look at by itself. There is no goaltending stat that tells the real story for any goalie, the best way to get a feel for who the elite are is by watching. I was basing who I'd pick over him based not just on this year but the past few years also.
10 teams in the league average 32+ shots per game, 4 of them avg over 33..Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, and San Jose rounding off #1 with 33.7 shots per game..That means that those 10 teams are getting those 32 shots per game against every team they play, which would mean every goalie would benefit from this ''statistical blessing'' you speak of.

And our defensive style is bad defense, so it's not just that we're letting them shoot from bad spots, it's that we're letting them shoot whenever they want.

RIGHT NOW, Hiller is playing like a top 5 goalie in the NHL, and I would think it is just a once in a lifetime streak but I have seen it twice before.In the playoffs and at the Olympics last year playing for a team with only 1 other NHLer on it.

Realistically he is probably somewhere in the 7-10 range..but if he keeps elevating his game and working on the stuff he struggles with ( he is still so young ) he could easily become an all-star goalie, the one thing that I love to hear is how determined he is and how he is not happy just being an NHL goalie, you can tell he hates to lose and is hard on himself

The guy is a naturally gifted goalie who obviously has some things to work on

Old
01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
10 teams in the league average 32+ shots per game, 4 of them avg over 33..Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, and San Jose rounding off #1 with 33.7 shots per game..That means that those 10 teams are getting those 32 shots per game against every team they play, which would mean every goalie would benefit from this ''statistical blessing'' you speak of.

And our defensive style is bad defense, so it's not just that we're letting them shoot from bad spots, it's that we're letting them shoot whenever they want.

RIGHT NOW, Hiller is playing like a top 5 goalie in the NHL, and I would think it is just a once in a lifetime streak but I have seen it twice before.In the playoffs and at the Olympics last year playing for a team with only 1 other NHLer on it.

Realistically he is probably somewhere in the 7-10 range..but if he keeps elevating his game and working on the stuff he struggles with ( he is still so young ) he could easily become an all-star goalie, the one thing that I love to hear is how determined he is and how he is not happy just being an NHL goalie, you can tell he hates to lose and is hard on himself

The guy is a naturally gifted goalie who obviously has some things to work on
I'm not sure you actually followed what I meant by the skewed SV% but I can't be bothered going into it as I feel that my point won't get across even if I made the effort explaining it.

I do agree that if he continues to play the way he has the past fortnight then we can safely say he's amongst the best in the game. Consistency has been his biggest issue but if he keeps this up and can drastically reduce the number of soft goals he allows at inappropriate times (which he has been doing rather well with lately) then I agree, he belongs amongst the NHLs elite.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

I think some of his confidence issues comes from the defense not playing well in front of him. Even if they allow massive amounts of shots, if the D doesn't allow tips and second chances he is a great goalie. The Clear the trash mentality utilized by the great Bombay is what Hiller thrives on.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Paul4587

Which is why he thrived when he had guys like Pronger and Beauchemin in front of him in the 09 playoffs. If only Sutton and Mara could use their size to their advantage in front of the net instead of standing around looking like idiots all the time.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
JtotheLew

Quote:
I'm not sure you actually followed what I meant by the skewed SV% but I can't be bothered going into it as I feel that my point won't get across even if I made the effort explaining it.

I do agree that if he continues to play the way he has the past fortnight then we can safely say he's amongst the best in the game. Consistency has been his biggest issue but if he keeps this up and can drastically reduce the number of soft goals he allows at inappropriate times (which he has been doing rather well with lately) then I agree, he belongs amongst the NHLs elite.
lol, drop the condescending smart guy act cause it isn't working for you.I know what you're saying and I'm not even saying that I totally disagree with you, but sv% is a mathematically determined stat and it is what it is, if you start adjusting it by ''quality of shot'' ( Anaheim isn't the only team in the league that allows an above average amount of shots every game ) then you have to do that for every other goalie in the NHL's sv% as well which for all intents and purposes is literally impossible, his sv% it's an indicator that he's played very well this year. All I am saying is that if you put most other goalies in the NHL in the same situation Hiller has been in all season facing a high amount of shots with a weak defense and playing almost every night, their sv% or even their GAA (which is the stat we should probably be discussing anyway) wouldn't be as good.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Jesus Teemu

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=66980

Looks like both Jonas and Perry made the All-Star team. Congrats!!!

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Good to see their performances have been rewarded!

How did Kessel make the All-Star team though? He doesn't scream All-Star to me. Or is it every team gets at least 1 player represented?

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
How did Kessel make the All-Star team though? He doesn't scream All-Star to me. Or is it every team gets at least 1 player represented?
Nope. Isles, Yotes and Cats don't have anyone there.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Nope. Isles, Yotes and Cats don't have anyone there.
But they have Rookies there who filled the duty for 1 of each team.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Good to see their performances have been rewarded!

Toronto Maple Leafs ring a bell ??

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs ring a bell ??
Never heard of them, are they an ECHL team or something?

Old
01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Never heard of them, are they an ECHL team or something?
Yes. The ECHL team that just beat the Kings and the Sharks on back to back nights!

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Jesus Teemu

Maybe the Maple Ducks alliance is for real!!! Leafs doing the Ducks a lot of good in the standings.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Yes. The ECHL team that just beat the Kings and the Sharks on back to back nights!

Let's be honest, there's only 1 NHL team in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey View Post
Maybe the Maple Ducks alliance is for real!!! Leafs doing the Ducks a lot of good in the standings.
I'd never align myself with the Maple Leafs. Not after all the annoying trade threads

Old
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Nice article on Hillsy again.
He`s really becoming the star of the NHL, if he continues to be consistant.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=549239

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Force951

Hiller gets mentioned as a Vezina candidate at the mid-year mark. Also Burnside picks Fowler as the Mid-year Calder winner.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...dseason-awards

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Finnpin

Hiller's been amazing

One thing I'm worried that RC will play him too much...McBackup gets start when?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:28 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Hiller's been amazing

One thing I'm worried that RC will play him too much...McBackup gets start when?
When McBackup can show he won't **** the bed when he's put in

Old
01-14-2011, 09:42 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
When McBackup can show he won't **** the bed when he's put in
lolz.. probably sunday against the oilers at home

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Mooseduck

Hiller had a tough night tonight with the Sharks.
Hopefully, Jonas will turn it around for the road trip.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote