HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush Thread...

Old
01-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush Thread...

It was going to happen eventually, might as well start now.

If he keeps playing like this, he's going to be a mainstay the way Sauer has become one.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
ChrisModem

How rock solid is he on those skates! Once he gets experience the opposition is going to have nightmares about trying to get around him.

Definitely a keeper.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:55 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Solid work on the ice, liked his play since heŽs been called up. when he continues to play that way weŽll have a very good D.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:59 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Really impressed by him tonight, kid has stepped up his game.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He was great defensively tonight, as was most of the team. Made a couple of nervous passes, but that's nitpicking for a guy in his 4th game. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season, they won't miss Rozsival much. You can bet your ass Sauer will be fine.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:19 AM
Levitate

This was one of those games where I missed bits and pieces of it, and was making dinner during a lot of it so I wasn't watching really carefully, but McDonagh definitely seemed to have a strong game. Stopping guys one on one, stepping up when it was needed, making a few good passes, etc. He's building some confidence and looking strong.

Hope he keeps it up. Not really sure what the Rangers are going to do with their defense...so many young guys who deserve roster spots and not enough space! I still think they might send him down and bring Del Zotto back up in his place, but that might depend on how Gilroy does QBing the PP

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Loved him in the 2007. He was a player I had hoped would be available for the Rangers when the drafted. (Of course, I was thrilled at the time when Cherepanov fell into our laps.) Completely stunned when Montreal made him available in the Gomez deal. I think the interesting dilemma becomes, who do the Rangers keep this upcoming off-season, Gilroy or Eminger? Both are UFAs, but, IMO, there will only be room for one, as you'd have a balance of three LHers, (Staal, McDonagh, MDZ), and three RHers, (Girardi, Sauer, and one of the aforementioned duo.) Ideally, I'd like to see Gilroy continue to improve his trade value, and perhaps move him by the deadline for a vet D-man down the stretch.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Schweiker17

he had a great play during the canuck game when he tied up the mans body and then kicked the puck to his teammate, i was amazed how smart of a play it was

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:57 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300

Still astounded that we got him for Gomez.

I like this guy a lot. Very, very good skater. Good offensive instincts, and his intelligence is through the roof. I'm highly impressed with how well he has played in his first NHL action. It's like all these solid dmen are coming out of nowhere. Sauer, Eminger, McDonagh.

And he's strong as an Ox. And he's still only 22.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:58 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiker17 View Post
he had a great play during the canuck game when he tied up the mans body and then kicked the puck to his teammate, i was amazed how smart of a play it was
Yep, and he did it without taking a penalty. Astoundingly smart play.

BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
This was one of those games where I missed bits and pieces of it, and was making dinner during a lot of it so I wasn't watching really carefully, but McDonagh definitely seemed to have a strong game. Stopping guys one on one, stepping up when it was needed, making a few good passes, etc. He's building some confidence and looking strong.

Hope he keeps it up. Not really sure what the Rangers are going to do with their defense...so many young guys who deserve roster spots and not enough space! I still think they might send him down and bring Del Zotto back up in his place, but that might depend on how Gilroy does QBing the PP
Del Zotto coming back depends on whether he will get his confidence back soon enough in the AHL. I haven't seen any of his play down there, but considering his level of confidence before he was sent down, I think it might take some time for him to come back.

If McDonagh continues this play and if Del Zotto is brought back, I'd probably sit Gilroy to have that balance of 3 lefties and 3 righties on defense.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Orr Nightmare

I miss Rozy!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:27 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I miss Rozy!
you stole my thunder

seriously, the thing with mcd is his stride. he has a fluid, powerful skating stride. as with anything hockey, the better the skater, the better the potential player. this kid can flat out skate. i like him and i really like this young defense.

if ftank or kundratek can step in and add some snarl, we should be set on the blueline.

maybe we can trade mcilrath for tarasenko .....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I cannot wait to see this kid play on the Rangers. I'll be home Saturday night, so hopefully I can catch the Habs game.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you stole my thunder

seriously, the thing with mcd is his stride. he has a fluid, powerful skating stride. as with anything hockey, the better the skater, the better the potential player. this kid can flat out skate. i like him and i really like this young defense.

if ftank or kundratek can step in and add some snarl, we should be set on the blueline.

maybe we can trade mcilrath for tarasenko .....

Wrong tank.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very impressed with how quickly hes assimilated himself to the NHL game.

We all saw some very good tools in camp, and imo he actually could have made the team then (if the Rangers really needed to take him on), but the management did the right thing sending him down to learn the professional game speed.

His footspeed, balance and recovery is very impressive - and i think he'll have the ability to add some offense in the future a la Girardi with that quick snapper he can get on net from the point.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Wrong tank.
yes right.

you got my drift.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:17 AM
mullichicken25

Back when we made the Gomez trade I remember saying that in a few years the rangers could have one of, if not the best defense in the nhl

Glad to see its progressing in the right direction

It's awesome to see a position of weakness turn into a position of strength

It's even better when half of the group or more is home grown...I've said for years that you can potentially by your offense but to be successful you have to raise your d

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

After a shaky first game, this kid really settled in. Looks to me like he belongs out there. In fact it looks to me like the whole defense top to bottom belongs out there.

With MDZ in CT still this is actually a great problem to have!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Loved him in the 2007. He was a player I had hoped would be available for the Rangers when the drafted. (Of course, I was thrilled at the time when Cherepanov fell into our laps.) Completely stunned when Montreal made him available in the Gomez deal. I think the interesting dilemma becomes, who do the Rangers keep this upcoming off-season, Gilroy or Eminger? Both are UFAs, but, IMO, there will only be room for one, as you'd have a balance of three LHers, (Staal, McDonagh, MDZ), and three RHers, (Girardi, Sauer, and one of the aforementioned duo.) Ideally, I'd like to see Gilroy continue to improve his trade value, and perhaps move him by the deadline for a vet D-man down the stretch.
Gilroy will be RFA. We could probably keep both Gilroy and Eminger, but one will be a health scratch each night, barring injuries, but that's a good problem to have.

Kundratek can spend another year in Hartford refining his game. He's been good from all reports, but he's still very young. There's time to get him into the lineup. Vtank, I don't know. There may just not be a spot for him. And then there's Pashnin, who is supposed to come over next year. He could spend a year in the AHL.

I think someone will get traded or let go from the group of Gilroy, Eminger, Vtank and Pashnin. Maybe two of them. Of those, only Gilroy is a PMD. It's crazy how much depth we have on defense, and how young they are.

Eminger 27
Gilroy 26
Girardi 26
Staal 24
Sauer 23
Vtank 23
McD 21
Kundratek 21
Pashnin 21
MDZ 20
McIlrath 18

If McIlrath becomes the player that Gordie Clark expects, our defense is going to be disgustingly good.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Very impressed with how quickly hes assimilated himself to the NHL game.

We all saw some very good tools in camp, and imo he actually could have made the team then (if the Rangers really needed to take him on), but the management did the right thing sending him down to learn the professional game speed.

His footspeed, balance and recovery is very impressive - and i think he'll have the ability to add some offense in the future a la Girardi with that quick snapper he can get on net from the point.
That is the beauty of our depth...no need to rush any guy...Vtank and Kund can stay in Hartford along with MDZ...let them grow and understand the position more fundamentaly and then you call them up when needed.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Gilroy will be RFA. We could probably keep both Gilroy and Eminger, but one will be a health scratch each night, barring injuries, but that's a good problem to have.

Kundratek can spend another year in Hartford refining his game. He's been good from all reports, but he's still very young. There's time to get him into the lineup. Vtank, I don't know. There may just not be a spot for him. And then there's Pashnin, who is supposed to come over next year. He could spend a year in the AHL.

I think someone will get traded or let go from the group of Gilroy, Eminger, Vtank and Pashnin. Maybe two of them. Of those, only Gilroy is a PMD. It's crazy how much depth we have on defense, and how young they are.

Eminger 27
Gilroy 26
Girardi 26
Staal 24
Sauer 23
Vtank 23
McD 21
Kundratek 21
Pashnin 21
MDZ 20
McIlrath 18

If McIlrath becomes the player that Gordie Clark expects, our defense is going to be disgustingly good.
This tells me that if most of these guys pan out, some guys are going to have to be traded

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Prusted

DZ is gonna have a hard time getting back in the lineup.

Prusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Eminger 27
Gilroy 26
Girardi 26
Staal 24
Sauer 23
Vtank 23
McD 21
Kundratek 21
Pashnin 21
MDZ 20
McIlrath 18

Hard not to love this freaking D. So young and doing so well

If Gilroy keeps this up I am impressed cause I would of sent the guy off for a late pick

Staal,Girardi
Del Zotto, Sauer
McDonaugh , Gilroy
Eminger

That's my crew for next yr and oh wait that's the depth chart this year. I figure DZ will be back at some pt and will contribute as he's only 20

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
ecemleafs

wish we had gomez instead

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote