HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
How ironic would it be if SK finished the season with more goals/points than his brother...

Old
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
lol Max. (especially @ 1:04 mark)
LMFAO

I loved the announcers comment at the end

I saw that in pee wee

I can't stop laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
How ironic would it be if SK finished the season with more goals/points than his brother...
Why would that be ironic?

Old
01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
It's not like he was never tried there in Montreal. He played on the PP the way Gorges plays on the PP (when healthy) now... 2nd unit some games, or fill-in when needed.

But look at Nashville's defense:
51 FRANCIS BOUILLON
4 CODY FRANSON
8 KEVIN KLEIN
55 SHANE O'BRIEN
52 ALEXANDER SULZER
20 RYAN SUTER
6 SHEA WEBER

Outside of Weber and Suter, you're looking at mainly d-first type guys. And Franky has always had solid offensive instincts.
He is the fourth dman on the team for PP time on ice so he is probably paired with Franson or Sulzer, even if Klein as more point he doesn't seem to play on the PP.

Also Bouillon alway had good mobility so he is an okay option on the second wave on a PP.

Old
01-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Darth Joker

The Montreal Ex-Habs (a roster comparison)

Something that I've noticed this year is the considerable success of recent Ex-Habs, such as Mikhail Grabovski, Matt D'Agostini, and Sergei Kostitsyn.

As a thought experiment, I asked myself 'I wonder if a team comprised solely of ex-Habs could make for a competitive NHL team, perhaps even one superior to the current Habs squad?'

However, it occurred to me that this wasn't entirely fair, as in the post-lockout era teams typically turn over a fair chunk of their roster each and every Summer, as free agents come and go. In other words, every team probably has far more ex-team members than current ones, as good players come and go.

With this in mind, I set some ground rules for my thought experiment here:

1. The Montreal Ex-Habs cannot include any combination of players that would never have been on the Habs at the same time due to how each was acquired. For example, Steve Begin and Doug Janik are not both on The Montreal Ex-Habs since Janik was acquired for Begin.

2. Any players who left through trade or waivers are "fair game".

3. Of players who left through UFA, only those who began their careers as Habs and played with us for at least two solid seasons are "fair game". This is to not overly penalize the team for typical free agent season roster turnover. No Tanguay or Moore, as such.

4. For discussion purposes, The Montreal Ex-Habs are kept strictly to players traded or released during the Gainey/Gauthier era. Stephane Robidas would really make the team look better, but he left during the Savard era, so that isn't a reflection on the Gainey/Gauthier era (which is obviously part of what I'm aiming for here).

With these strict ground rules in mind, I give you...

The Montreal Ex-Habs!!!

Chris Higgins Mike Ribeiro Guillaume Latendresse

Sergei Samsonov Mikhail Grabovski Matt D'Agostini

Sergei Kostitsyn Saku Koivu Michael Ryder

Steve Begin Kyle Chipchura Maxim Lapierre

Corey Locke Marcel Hossa

Francois Beauchemin Mark Streit

Ron Hainsey Ryan O'Byrne

Ryan McDonagh Mike Komisarek

Craig Rivet

Jaroslav Halak

Mathieu Garon

Michael Leighton

Up front, this team is deep with offensive firepower, and is very strong down the middle. It'll be a "scoring by committee" team, but with a couple potential 30 goal scorers in Grabo and Lats. Ryder is also a two-time former 30 goal scorer. The 4th line will be a menace for other team's to play against.

The defense is big and rugged. Some decent offense from the backend thanks to Mark Streit. It should do a solid job in its own end, and hopefully Beauchemin and Hainsey give Streit decent support on the PowerPlay.

The goaltending is excellent, and with a solid backup and good organizational depth.

I think we have a competitive NHL team here, that should challenge for a playoff spot, and possibly even upset a team or two.

Mind you, I never checked to see if the Montreal Ex-Habs would fit under the Salary Cap, though my guess is that it would.

Who would win a match-up between it and the current Habs squad, I wonder?

So... what do The Montreal Ex-Habs say about our player development over the past few years? What does it say about our asset management? What might it say about the team building philosophy of Gainey and Gauthier, and the coaching philosophy of Carbo and Martin?

I definitely have some strong ideas of my own, but I'm going to wait to see what other Habs fans here think first.

Last edited by Darth Joker: 01-14-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Including Mark Streit as per Natey2K4's point
Old
01-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Crystal Met

they would be the worst team in the league by far

Old
01-14-2011, 04:28 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

haha interesting, not a bad team. sort of depressing is the very small return we received for many of these players. maybe somebody could do a comparative points total for this and our roster?

Old
01-14-2011, 04:40 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Mark Streit is better than everyone of these dmen.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Mark Streit is better than everyone of these dmen.
Great point. Major oversight on my part there, sorry.

So add Streit to a top pairing with Beauchemin, and drop O'Byrne to the 2nd paring and Komi to the 3rd pairing, and use Rivet as the 7th D.

Now that's a pretty good D corps. Steit also answers the main problem with it - offense from the backend.

JLP - Yeah, it is a bit depressing. One thing I think this Ex-Habs team shows is that either we give up on a lot of our younger guys too quick, or we don't give them a fair chance.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:31 AM
bentheprop

The forwards look good up the middle but kind of weak on the wings. Nice 4th line though.

With the ground rules you listed how does Leighton qualify for the team?

Also just for the sake of the lines listed I'd drop Higgins down to Koivu's line since he's more of a 3rd line player anyway and besides he had his most successful time with Saku.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Something that I've noticed this year is the considerable success of recent Ex-Habs, such as Mikhail Grabovski, Matt D'Agostini, and Sergei Kostitsyn.

As a thought experiment, I asked myself 'I wonder if a team comprised solely of ex-Habs could make for a competitive NHL team, perhaps even one superior to the current Habs squad?'

However, it occurred to me that this wasn't entirely fair, as in the post-lockout era teams typically turn over a fair chunk of their roster each and every Summer, as free agents come and go. In other words, every team probably has far more ex-team members than current ones, as good players come and go.

With this in mind, I set some ground rules for my thought experiment here:

1. The Montreal Ex-Habs cannot include any combination of players that would never have been on the Habs at the same time due to how each was acquired. For example, Steve Begin and Doug Janik are not both on The Montreal Ex-Habs since Janik was acquired for Begin.

2. Any players who left through trade or waivers are "fair game".

3. Of players who left through UFA, only those who began their careers as Habs and played with us for at least two solid seasons are "fair game". This is to not overly penalize the team for typical free agent season roster turnover. No Tanguay or Moore, as such.

4. For discussion purposes, The Montreal Ex-Habs are kept strictly to players traded or released during the Gainey/Gauthier era. Stephane Robidas would really make the team look better, but he left during the Savard era, so that isn't a reflection on the Gainey/Gauthier era (which is obviously part of what I'm aiming for here).

With these strict ground rules in mind, I give you...

The Montreal Ex-Habs!!!

Chris Higgins Mike Ribeiro Guillaume Latendresse

Sergei Samsonov Mikhail Grabovski Matt D'Agostini

Sergei Kostitsyn Saku Koivu Michael Ryder

Steve Begin Kyle Chipchura Maxim Lapierre

Corey Locke Marcel Hossa

Francois Beauchemin Mark Streit

Ron Hainsey Ryan O'Byrne

Ryan McDonagh Mike Komisarek

Craig Rivet

Jaroslav Halak

Mathieu Garon

Michael Leighton

Up front, this team is deep with offensive firepower, and is very strong down the middle. It'll be a "scoring by committee" team, but with a couple potential 30 goal scorers in Grabo and Lats. Ryder is also a two-time former 30 goal scorer. The 4th line will be a menace for other team's to play against.

The defense is big and rugged. Some decent offense from the backend thanks to Mark Streit. It should do a solid job in its own end, and hopefully Beauchemin and Hainsey give Streit decent support on the PowerPlay.

The goaltending is excellent, and with a solid backup and good organizational depth.

I think we have a competitive NHL team here, that should challenge for a playoff spot, and possibly even upset a team or two.

Mind you, I never checked to see if the Montreal Ex-Habs would fit under the Salary Cap, though my guess is that it would.

Who would win a match-up between it and the current Habs squad, I wonder?

So... what do The Montreal Ex-Habs say about our player development over the past few years? What does it say about our asset management? What might it say about the team building philosophy of Gainey and Gauthier, and the coaching philosophy of Carbo and Martin?

I definitely have some strong ideas of my own, but I'm going to wait to see what other Habs fans here think first.
Oh man, I think you're too kind to this team. I think it wouls be a disaster, looks terrible,. Reminds me of the Habs from 2001-02.

Old
01-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Darth Joker

People need to remember that many of these players have played a lot better (or at least produced more) since leaving the Habs.

Lats put up great numbers in Minny last year, and had 3 goals 6 points in 8 games before his injury this year.

SKost already has over 10 goals this season, and is 2nd or 3rd on his team in scoring.

Samsonov is now a solid Top Six winger in Carolina.

O'Byrne has become a solid 20 minutes or so a game D for Colorado.

Beauchemin is averaging well over 20 minutes a game, and is Ok in that role.

Based on how these guys are playing now, most of them fit the roles given to them on this Ex-Habs team.

1st-line LW (whoever I put there, including Higgins) is a bit of a weakness though, I'll admit.

Old
01-14-2011, 06:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

no Tanguay ?

Old
01-14-2011, 06:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
People need to remember that many of these players have played a lot better (or at least produced more) since leaving the Habs.

Lats put up great numbers in Minny last year, and had 3 goals 6 points in 8 games before his injury this year.

SKost already has over 10 goals this season, and is 2nd or 3rd on his team in scoring.

Samsonov is now a solid Top Six winger in Carolina.

O'Byrne has become a solid 20 minutes or so a game D for Colorado.

Beauchemin is averaging well over 20 minutes a game, and is Ok in that role.

Based on how these guys are playing now, most of them fit the roles given to them on this Ex-Habs team.

1st-line LW (whoever I put there, including Higgins) is a bit of a weakness though, I'll admit.
actually, since in TO all he is showing is that he benefited A LOT from playing with Nieds.

Old
01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I don't understand why players who left as UFA's don't count while guys who barely played games for the Habs count.

Hainsey (32 games), Locke (1 game), McDonagh (0 games), and Leighton (dressed for 1 game, I believe?).

Tanguay and Moore both had bigger roles in Habs history that nearly all of those players, regardless if there stay was short or long. That's the only "rule" I don't agree with.

Either way, you're also missing Tomas Vokoun. And as much as I hate him, you're also missing Alex Kovalev. And Brett Clark should be in the discussion among defenseman.

Old
01-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Shazbot

Ex-Habs Current by Stats

When I heard that S. Kostitsyn has put up 20 pts in his last 20 games, I had to compile this list of active non-Canadiens players who have ever belonged to the Habs organization. Please enjoy this collection of numbers (in PDF), rearranged from TSN.ca today, Jan. 14, 2011. Just for fun. Who do you miss really?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ex-Habs_SKATERS.pdf‎ (209.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: pdf Ex-Habs_GOAL.pdf‎ (180.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Shazbot: 01-14-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Please move to Ex-Habs thread, thanks
Old
01-14-2011, 09:01 AM
shutehinside

Yet there are still no names on either list I'd want on the Habs.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Corey Locked recalled.

lol.
Primary assist on the GWG last night for the Sens. Nearly 12 minutes of ice-time.

Wasn't a great play or anything, but he still got credit.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
DDIHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think Robidas could be useful right now.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot View Post
When I heard that S. Kostitsyn has put up 20 pts in his last 20 games, I had to compile this list of active non-Canadiens players who have ever belonged to the Habs organization. Please enjoy this collection of numbers (in PDF), rearranged from TSN.ca today, Jan. 14, 2011. Just for fun. Who do you miss really?
thanks for doing the work.

A lot of ex habs throughout the league, some beauties too. I can't believe O'byrne is +11.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
How could you not want O'Byrne....He's a plus 11 and log 20 minutes f ice time a game.

Montreal gave up on this guy, in particular that fat headed, big eared Jacque Martin runined him in Montreal. All he needed was a vote of confidence.

I wonder if Montreal could use a solid BIG number 4 D-man who can block shots be a plus player and log 20 minutes a game

I hate Jacques Martin!

When will this A_Hole get fired!

Old
01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
neofury*

No O'Byrne or Robidas really?

Old
01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
How could you not want O'Byrne....He's a plus 11 and log 20 minutes f ice time a game.

Montreal gave up on this guy, in particular that fat headed, big eared Jacque Martin runined him in Montreal. All he needed was a vote of confidence.

I wonder if Montreal could use a solid BIG number 4 D-man who can block shots be a plus player and log 20 minutes a game

I hate Jacques Martin!

When will this A_Hole get fired!
I don't disagree but he wasn't that player when he played for us, when he played for us in his worst games he looked like a bottom pairing AHLer, in his best games he looked like a #5. On average he was more of a #7. Now you can blame whoever you want but he wasn't what he is in Colorado over here.

Sometimes it's the players fault too, maybe he put more of an effort in once he got the change of scenery who knows. I find it hard to fault JM entirely though. Ryan never looked like he was going to stick until after he was traded. Sure it could be coaching but it's just as likely it could've been a problem on Ryan's end too. We don't know really but I have to say even I'm liking his handling of young players less and less as time goes on.

The organizations as well for giving up too early on people.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Not The One

Giving up on young players only to see them flourish with an other team IMMEDIATLY is becoming a seriously disturbing trend. Latendresse, SKost, Grabo, Chipchura, Obyrne, D'agostini is a lot of talent to give up for basically nothing. Will Lapierre be the next one to turn around his career with another team?

Old
01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Et le But

Lets see how O'bryne does long term before we proclaim him some sort of elite defensemen. He's doing very well right now and I'm happy for him but lets see what happens if he suffers any setbacks. That was his biggest problem here, he got worse as his confidence suffered and there was absolutely no reason for the coach to trust him.

Old
01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
habsjunkie2*

I remember when people were sayin Tommy Pyatt was an upgrade over Chris Higgins. He just can't play 5vs5

Closed Thread