HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#43: Flyers @ Bruins -Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011

Old
01-14-2011, 08:20 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
The Flyers do manage to put together some craptastically weird games every season, don't they? After shutting off the game shortly after they fell behind 4-3, I couldn't believe the final boxscore.

Let me add my vote to those who put the goat horns on Boucher for this one. He played very well in the second period, but just seemed to unravel after the fluke goal. Goal 4 was awful, but sometimes those slip in, especially on a tip, but then to give up #6 on a nothing shot? Plus, the fifth goal would have taken a great stop, but it was from far enough out that he had a chance.

As much as Boucher is a back-up, the current line-up and slim prospects to improve in goal for the rest of the season mean that he will have to carry a large portion of the load, especially if Bob the rookie falters. We would all be well served to see that the G situation is not solved right now to urge Holmgren to take action.

Plus, the puck hitting the netting should be a non-issue. Sure, it should have been whistled down, but it was in the Bruins zone and the Flyers had great defensive coverage on the Bruins coming through the neutral zone. Plus, you play until you hear the whistle.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
jb**

The clock is nearing midnight on bobby boucher. Here comes the down slide.
Whoever made the decision or call to play walker needs their head examamined. He was set up to fail from the start. Hasn’t played all year and you throw him in without any warm up in the ahl. Mayeb there is solid reasoning behind playing him that I just dont see. He wasn’t all that bad considering the circumstances

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
agrudez*

So the people bashing Carle, is it safe to assume that you only watched about 5 minutes of the game last night?

Carle played one of his best games of the year, making many terrific defensive plays covering for Matt Walker who was a ****ing pylon all game and then he overskates a puck, throws it up the boards where Leino *should* have been (instead he was streaking up ice for no reason) and Boucher let in a weak wrister from the blue line at a bad angle.

Boucher made 2-3 impressive saves, but balanced it out with 3-4 WEAK goals. I really hope this isn't the start to his annual ****** streak... actually, I take that back as I kind of do hope so, so Bob can start playing again.

Oh, and sure the puck in the netting was a blown call, but how about the forwards not all STOP ****ING PLAYING BEFORE THEY HEAR A WHISTLE... you know, that thing you are taught when you are 5 years old in every ****ing sport on the planet?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
PuckBoy33

Annoying Bruins rink announcer.

What the hell does the Boston P.A. guy do at the end of identifying the goal scorer/assists? It sounds like he yells woooooooh! and then the crowd echoes him. Please explain.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
What the hell does the Boston P.A. guy do at the end of identifying the goal scorer/assists? It sounds like he yells woooooooh! and then the crowd echoes him. Please explain.
he also waits 15+ seconds into play to announce the goal

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
You guys put up a 5 spot on Thomas and couldn't seal the deal. Don't blame the refs.
Granted that some calls were obvious, there were a handful of weak calls which gave a lot of momentum to Boston. So in this case, we can blame the refs.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Better than the Penguins radio announcer.

*goal*

HE SHOOTSSSSSSSS.......HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SCORESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
jb**

what are peoples opinions as to why Walker was dressed? Is he back in tonight do you think?

Old
01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
what are peoples opinions as to why Walker was dressed? Is he back in tonight do you think?
Bart wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but, and this may just be wishful thinking on my part, I think Homer decided that he needed to give Walker a trial by fire with no prep time in the AHL to see if he can indeed by a solid 6th/7th dman or if he can be waived for cap space at the deadline.

I would say that he is failing this trial miserably.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
PuckBoy33

Nolan a no-show

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
He didn't announce the last home game. Does anybody know why?
The PEEEEECOOOOO Power Play is just not the same without him.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
So the people bashing Carle, is it safe to assume that you only watched about 5 minutes of the game last night?

Carle played one of his best games of the year, making many terrific defensive plays covering for Matt Walker who was a ****ing pylon all game and then he overskates a puck, throws it up the boards where Leino *should* have been (instead he was streaking up ice for no reason) and Boucher let in a weak wrister from the blue line at a bad angle.

Boucher made 2-3 impressive saves, but balanced it out with 3-4 WEAK goals. I really hope this isn't the start to his annual ****** streak... actually, I take that back as I kind of do hope so, so Bob can start playing again.

Oh, and sure the puck in the netting was a blown call, but how about the forwards not all STOP ****ING PLAYING BEFORE THEY HEAR A WHISTLE... you know, that thing you are taught when you are 5 years old in every ****ing sport on the planet?
If one only saw 5 minutes of the game, I'm sure they could some up with this conclusion. I'm confused, are you asking for 5-minute conclusions because that's all you saw?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
jb**

Quote:
Bart wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but, and this may just be wishful thinking on my part, I think Homer decided that he needed to give Walker a trial by fire with no prep time in the AHL to see if he can indeed by a solid 6th/7th dman or if he can be waived for cap space at the deadline.

I would say that he is failing this trial miserably.
yeah however it makes no sense to do that to walker and the team imo. Basing his play on the next few games without any ahl warmup is a bad way to evaluate imo. What do you expect from a guy who hasnt played all year and has limite practice? I dotn understand their train of thought on this oone.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
You mean undressed?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
DenverBoone

So its the **** on Carle show again! Love waking up to 6 pages devoted to a bad play when the team gave up 7 goals. He is officially the new whipping boy...

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
So its the **** on Carle show again! Love waking up to 6 pages devoted to a bad play when the team gave up 7 goals. He is officially the new whipping boy...
Nah Walker is!. They need to at some point give odonnel some rest. It is as clear as day he is laboring a little. It would do little harm in retsing him here and there.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If one only saw 5 minutes of the game, I'm sure they could some up with this conclusion. I'm confused, are you asking for 5-minute conclusions because that's all you saw?
Your Carle hate is reaching absurd levels. I can count at least 3 plays where he bailed Walker out for being a pylon all game and at least one other where he bailed Boosh out for being completely out of position.

The game winning goal wasn't even his fault. Sure, he fumbled the puck a bit, but he did EXACTLY what a dman is supposed to do in that situation and wrapped it around the boards where the winger SHOULD be standing. Leino was out of position and Boosh was blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Carle has been the whipping boy since he got here.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-14-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: not appropriate
Old
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
jb**

Quote:
Your Carle hate is reaching absurd levels. I can count at least 3 plays where he bailed Walker out for being a pylon all game and at least one other where he bailed Boosh out for being completely out of position.

The game winning goal wasn't even his fault. Sure, he fumbled the puck a bit, but he did EXACTLY what a dman is supposed to do in that situation and wrapped it around the boards where the winger SHOULD be standing. Leino was out of position and Boosh was blind.

Carle has been the whipping boy since he got here. .

Still, consider this fact: if you like baseball Sabremetrics, which calculate stats based on nine-innings played, you’d like to know that Zherdev scores more goals per 60 minutes on-ice than any other player in the NHL.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-14-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: quoted deleted portion
Old
01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
RU Flyerfan

Didn't see the second period, but I saw the first and third. Very odd game to say the least, but I think many people are overreacting. You're going to have a few games like these over an 82 game schedule, like it or not. A lot of bounces went the Bruins' way, regardless of what their fans say. (For all of you B's fans, Z's goal was CLEARLY onsides. I never for a second thought it wasn't.) Our defense didn't show up for the last period. And our goaltending was very sub-par. The 4th goal was awful and 6th goal, while rather fluky, was pretty bad as well. He should stop that 9 out of 10 times. However, I was very impressed with our offensive play. We put 5 goals past Tim Thomas and could've had more in all honesty. I thought the HBL line was very strong, yet again (I love that line). Richards and Z also had strong games, imo. I'd like to see Z start again instead of Carcillo, who hasn't been very noticeable lately. But I'm a little baffled as to why Walker was called up and put in place of Bartulis. I thought Bartulis was playing pretty well and deserved a run of games. Anyways, just gotta keep on truckin' and get 2 points in Atlanta, which is no mean feat. Hopefully they come out strong and physical. I have to miss this one too

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Doyle

Wild third propels Bruins past Flyers, 7-5

http://nhlhotstove.com/wild-third-pr...st-flyers-7-5/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Carle has been the whipping boy since he got here.

And I could point out a play where Carle had the puck on his stick, and then it ended up on a Bruins stick, and then the puck ended up in the net, and then the Flyers didn't score again. Exactly the type of play I keep calling him out for. This, that, and the other thing, whatever. He turned the puck over, and lost the game. Now, you may be ok with that now, but in April and May when the games count, you won't be.

This team demands near-perfection from their defensemen, he isn't even because of who the last line of the defense is.

Boucher isn't a good enough goalie to keep having good games more than once or twice a week, which means the defensemen have to be pretty much perfect every game, and of the 6 real defenseman, he is the furthest from that. That's what the Flyers sign up for when they keep trotting out these rejects in net. Now, either he can make the play, or he can't. This is not hate. This is him not giving what the team needs. And it's going to cost them when the games really count.

Carle has been the whipping boy, because he is a mediocre defenseman.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Carle has been the whipping boy, because he is a mediocre defenseman.
He is a slightly above average defenseman who excels in the offensive end and for all of his mistakes he still makes far fewer than Coburn the mouth-breather.

You can rant about Carle's cap hit if you want (and I would argue that it isn't MUCH higher than it should be), but he makes many more positive than negative plays (the negativity of this board and the ever present vitriol for Carle especially gives you all **** colored glasses).

I will say; however, it is quite obvious that, much like Coburn, he needs a player who is better defensively than himself to make up for the times when he has "brain farts" and this season Pronger has been a shell of himself and hasn't provided that safety blanket.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He is a slightly above average defenseman who excels in the offensive end and for all of his mistakes he still makes far fewer than Coburn the mouth-breather.

You can rant about Carle's cap hit if you want (and I would argue that it isn't MUCH higher than it should be), but he makes many more positive than negative plays (the negativity of this board and the ever present vitriol for Carle especially gives you all **** colored glasses).

I will say; however, it is quite obvious that, much like Coburn, he needs a player who is better defensively than himself to make up for the times when he has "brain farts" and this season Pronger has been a shell of himself and hasn't provided that safety blanket.
You don't excel offensively when you turn the puck over so consistently. You're right, though. Pronger hasn't been the safety blanket he was last year, which is why they've arguably been our worst pairing. And Coburn doesn't turn the puck over, not only as much as Carle, but doesn't turn it over in such crippling situations.

Any superlative involving the word 'average' isn't going to cut it.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:33 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Any superlative involving the word 'average' isn't going to cut it.
Well, I am sure Homer is on the phone right now attempting to solidify our defense with 4 more all stars to compliment Timonen and Pronger.

Every team is going to have below, on par and above average players. It is all about using their strengths and mitigating their weaknesses from a coach's standpoint.

Utilizing Carle's strength is allowing him to pinch and roam the offensive zone a bit, mitigating his weakness is having someone who isn't skating at half his speed and with half his lateral agility as last year getting beaten on the outside consistently with stick handling.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
McNasty

You know what you get out of Matt Carle, you get a guy who is a good passer in the offensive zone who can struggle when he's rushed in his own end. Coburn has all the physical tools to be a great shutdown defenseman, but he's as inconsistent as they come. Coburn reminds me of Pitkanen in that he has incredible ability just doesn't have the mental capacity to put it all together on a consistent basis.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
He didn't announce the last home game. Does anybody know why?
The PEEEEECOOOOO Power Play is just not the same without him.
A prior personal commitment was the reason issued. Unrelated to illness.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote