HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Boogaard; concussion?

Old
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
straka91*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere on the board or not, but there's a pretty decent 2 or 3 page article and interview with Boogaard in the most recent issue of Men's Journal. Amongst a lot of other interesting stuff, it talks about all the injuries he's sustained from fights and everything. It's not a bad read. Also, I saw in the pregame last night that they were saying he needed to undergo something like a neurological test, so that sounds like concussion territory to me.
Was a very interesting read.

http://www.mensjournal.com/this-man-...reak-your-face
http://www.mensjournal.com/derek-boogaard-video

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
I read that him returning to the lineup this season is doubtful, still having head aches and not skating well (I now he wasnt good at skating to begin with). Sucks but what can you do.

Wonder who Sather will get for their hw. He always has one. I really hope he gets Mcgratton.

NYR and Det seem to be a grave yard for enforcers.
I was thinking McGratton as well...but i doubt they mess with anything until the Flyers pull a sc**b bag move.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Gatorade*

Losing Boogard isn't a bad thing IMO. He doesn't really fit and there are only a couple of teams with tough guys these days who are actually in the playoff hunt.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I got faith in Sather to dump Boogaard for an asset.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
They don't need Boogie and that is obvious but they are stuck with that contract so if he is healthy next yr then the guy plays it's as simple as that. No one is going to deal with a dude who has 3 yrs left at 1.6 cap hit and a concussion history

Sounds horrible but lets hope he retires and is off the cap. Collects his money and does some stuff behind the scenes for the organization.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhoenix View Post
Salary Question regarding Boogaard, if he's supposedly out for the season whats stopping the Rangers from putting him on LTIR? Couldn't Prospal possibly be put on LTIR as well and that cap money be used towards other players? Maybe I just don't fully understand the way LTIR works.
Think of it like this, a player's salary on the LTIR counts against your cap -- unless you "replace" it. The only way you can replace it is if you are up against the cap.

Say the cap is 50 m and you rosters salary is 40m, and one of your players making 5m goes down and is placed on LTIR. You would then have room to add a 15m player, but if you do not do that -- it will not effect your cap.

You do not accumulate the cap space of the player on LTIR, you can only replace it from time to time.

This differs from say if the same player were sent to the AHL. Lets say that a player making 5m is sent to the AHL at the start of the season. Which gives your team 5m worth of cap space. That will accumulate during the season. After 50% of the season, you can add a 10m player.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Boogs is a good guy, but this signing was a huge bust from day one. Prust, Avery, Doobs and Boyle are all capable of doing the dirty work.

I highly doubt we can unload him, especially with that contract. Gotta wonder if Sather eventually buries him in Hartford too...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
That would indeed be a piece of magic.

01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This is one of the reason you don't invest big money and multiple years in an enforcer.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
ZacUSNYR

Concussions down right suck. When I dropped myself on my head and gave myself a concussion all I did was play NHL06. So I don't see why he can't play hockey

Although my short term memory has been wrecked since then.......... what were we talking about? What's this thread about....

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Boyle and dirty work??? As in fighting?? What Boyle are you watching?? Lets see what happens Sunday night vs Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Boogs is a good guy, but this signing was a huge bust from day one. Prust, Avery, Doobs and Boyle are all capable of doing the dirty work.

I highly doubt we can unload him, especially with that contract. Gotta wonder if Sather eventually buries him in Hartford too...

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Shelley is the only one that goes with Boogs and that is usually a "staged" fight anyway. So who cares.

Last edited by Loffen: 01-14-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Boyle stands up for nobody..So please take him off your dirty work list,for fighting.

Old
01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Shelley is the only one that goes with Boogs and that is usually a "staged" fight anyway. So who cares.
So who's going to challenge him when he takes a run at the Rangers on every shift?

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I think it's more important to have someone to take the match penalty + suspension on the team, when a guy like burrows needs a season ending injury.

That's why I liked shelley

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Need THE BOOG for Philly

01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Boyle stands up for nobody..So please take him off your dirty work list,for fighting.
Boyle doesn't fight, but you have to be blind to think he doesn't "stand up" for anybody.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Rangers44*

Booger is overrated as a fighter. All he has is one of the longest reaches. His balance sucks, his technique is average, and he isn't overly strong.

He sucks so much that the other teams knock him down with hits much more than he ever knocks anybody down with hits. Let him spend the rest of the contract in Hartford. We can't afford to waste a spot on such a player.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
That article is a good read. Thanks for posting it.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Booger is overrated as a fighter. All he has is one of the longest reaches. His balance sucks, his technique is average, and he isn't overly strong.

He sucks so much that the other teams knock him down with hits much more than he ever knocks anybody down with hits. Let him spend the rest of the contract in Hartford. We can't afford to waste a spot on such a player.
Judging by your post, your only as good as your last fight/game eh?

Overrated is not very accurate at all. Enforcers didn't rerally want to fight him becuase he was tough for anyone to handle. You an get hurt opening up agaisnt a guy like him. Even in the Carkenr fight, yeah Boogaard took a nasty one, but he also delivered one too.

But...Give me one other Heavy that was his size that has his win/loss record when it comes down to fights? He is upper echelon when it comes to that, and what better way to gauge a fight and how good he is then by his win/loss record. Add his TKO's and KO's and not only do you have a fighter that wins...you have a fighter that is feared.

But the other comment on his hits? That is just completely off base. Boogaard has crushed people with his hits, and when Bettman compiled the rediculous "hit to hurt" list Boogaard had to tone it down. Not that he was dirty, but becuase he is a damn giant so when he hits you everything appeared to be a charging penalty, or an easy penalty for the oppositiuon to embellish by the semi-turn when they are about to make contact.

Look, the guy is out of the llineup and may not return. It happened as a freak incident, but lets not plaster him with nonsense that isn't accurate in his absence. They guy is on IR fighting for this club. Think we owe the guy a little more than that.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Judging by your post, your only as good as your last fight/game eh?

Overrated is not very accurate at all. Enforcers didn't rerally want to fight him becuase he was tough for anyone to handle. You an get hurt opening up agaisnt a guy like him. Even in the Carkenr fight, yeah Boogaard took a nasty one, but he also delivered one too.

But...Give me one other Heavy that was his size that has his win/loss record when it comes down to fights? He is upper echelon when it comes to that, and what better way to gauge a fight and how good he is then by his win/loss record. Add his TKO's and KO's and not only do you have a fighter that wins...you have a fighter that is feared.

But the other comment on his hits? That is just completely off base. Boogaard has crushed people with his hits, and when Bettman compiled the rediculous "hit to hurt" list Boogaard had to tone it down. Not that he was dirty, but becuase he is a damn giant so when he hits you everything appeared to be a charging penalty, or an easy penalty for the oppositiuon to embellish by the semi-turn when they are about to make contact.

Look, the guy is out of the llineup and may not return. It happened as a freak incident, but lets not plaster him with nonsense that isn't accurate in his absence. They guy is on IR fighting for this club. Think we owe the guy a little more than that.
How as it a freak accident? It is not like he got hit in the head by a puck. My point is he is useless and should never play for the Rangers again.

Old
01-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
How as it a freak accident? It is not like he got hit in the head by a puck. My point is he is useless and should never play for the Rangers again.
Read it again, I said "Freak incident"... not "freak accident"

Freak incident as in he was caught flush on his nose at the same time he caught Carkner flush. The punches pretty much landed simultaneously and both players were damaged. That hardly ever happens.

You came up with inaccuracies about his fighting ability and his checking ability that are just inaccurate. "He gets knocked down more than he knocks people down?" Makes no sense. He is known for his heavy hitting and has been his whole career. He is also not just a good fighter, but maybe top three over the past decade. The guy has 206 career fighting majors. Over that time he only lost 35 of those fights, and the majority of them coming in the Minors. In that span he has 14 TKO's and 2 KO's. What was freakish about the incident is that the fight with Carkner was his only loss over the past 2 seasons, and it was his 3rd loss in the past three seasons. That in itself makes Boogard himself a Freak!

If you wanted to make the point that he wasn't really keeping up with the pace of the game maybe there is a better argument there. Changed game caught up with the guy. Your post was just spewing nonsense about the rest of his game.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 01-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Listen im just as pleased w/Boyle as the next guy..but he's not tough and cant fight..End of story..He blocks lots of shots but doesnt throw his weight around nearly enough..Please tell me how im so blind?? Who does he stand up for and how??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Boyle doesn't fight, but you have to be blind to think he doesn't "stand up" for anybody.

Old
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
I wonder if Todd Fedoruk would have anything to say about that bit.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Listen im just as pleased w/Boyle as the next guy..but he's not tough and cant fight..End of story..He blocks lots of shots but doesnt throw his weight around nearly enough..Please tell me how im so blind?? Who does he stand up for and how??
He can fight, just not many are eager to drop the gloves with him other than goons and there is no sensefor him to fight them. But he will stand up for teammates.