HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Major Trade; Top Prospect for ??????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
  #26
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
The validity of this rumor is pretty much null since The Flyers have literally no "top prospects" that could garner enough attention or trade value to be considered a major trade. Holmgren isn't stupid enough (despite popular belief) to trade JvR or Bobrovsky. Eriksson on the other hand I could see being dealt.

Also, on top of all that the team is strapped for cap space again with Walker coming off of LTIR. So the trade would have to start with an important roster player.

None of it makes sense... Oh Eklund
Yea, I just don't buy this.

We don't have top prospects. Eriksson would be our top guy and unproven goalie prospects don't garner very much.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
  #27
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,259
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Could be one of the younger goalies that Eklund is talking about. Also, he doesn't say that the player the Flyers would be getting is a great player, just said that it will address a major need. Could be just a solid winger to play on Richards' wing. Doesn't have to be for an elite player, and like everyone is saying, we don't really have any "top prospects" so I wouldn't mind the Flyers trading a guy like Wellwood, a young goalie, Bartulis, etc for a nice winger for Richards. If it is Bob or JVR I would not be happy, but anyone else would be fine by me. Capgeek says the Flyers could take on just under $2 mil in salary so maybe they'll throw in Carcillo to make it about $3 million? Could wind up being a good deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
  #28
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Could be one of the younger goalies that Eklund is talking about. Also, he doesn't say that the player the Flyers would be getting is a great player, just said that it will address a major need. Could be just a solid winger to play on Richards' wing. Doesn't have to be for an elite player, and like everyone is saying, we don't really have any "top prospects" so I wouldn't mind the Flyers trading a guy like Wellwood, a young goalie, Bartulis, etc for a nice winger for Richards. If it is Bob or JVR I would not be happy, but anyone else would be fine by me. Capgeek says the Flyers could take on just under $2 mil in salary so maybe they'll throw in Carcillo to make it about $3 million? Could wind up being a good deal.
I would have to think it's someone to take Powe or Nodl's spot on a scoring line.

I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Homer is overly excited about Bob's start and deems Sunshine expendable now. Not sure I'd make any kind of trade the way this team looks though.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
  #29
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,259
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yea, I just don't buy this.

We don't have top prospects. Eriksson would be our top guy and unproven goalie prospects don't garner very much.
The rumor doesn't say the Flyers are going after anyone huge, only that they will be addressing a need. It could just be for a guy to play wing on Richards line who can put in 20 goals and replace Nodl. Doesn't have to be for Iginla or anything like that.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
  #30
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
I think trading Sunshine right now would be a massive mistake.

He currently has a TON of upside, but very little trade value due to him being an unproven commodity.

Even if Bob truly is the long term answer, it behooves the Flyers much more to wait until Joacim is at least in the AHL or possibly backing up Bob in 2 years to trade him as then his value will be much higher.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  #31
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The rumor doesn't say the Flyers are going after anyone huge, only that they will be addressing a need. It could just be for a guy to play wing on Richards line who can put in 20 goals and replace Nodl. Doesn't have to be for Iginla or anything like that.
Yea but "top prospect" and "major need" normally infer a fairly substantial move.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
  #32
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yea but "top prospect" and "major need" normally infer a fairly substantial move.
Not when our prospect pool is a joke and we have no major needs.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
  #33
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Not when our prospect pool is a joke and we have no major needs.
Which brings us full circle to...

Eklund is dumb.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:14 AM
  #34
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Eklund is stupid.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
  #35
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Which brings us full circle to...

Eklund is dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Eklund is stupid.
Eklund may not be "respected" but the guy is far from stupid.

Think about this:

Eklund spends his life blogging about hockey and makes enough to get by (as far as I can tell).
Technically, his identity is a secret, even though I know he is traveling musician Dwayne Keith Klessel.
He has "insiders" in the Flyers organization and is an almost permanent fixture in the press box, probably for free.
He writes the equivalent of a couple posts on HF a DAY on Hockeybuzz and runs and owns the very profitable hockey website.
His podcasts are him and people he knows talking about hockey.

IDK about you, but BS or not, the guy is living the dream.

All he needs to do is come up with some rumors, throw Habs, Flyers, Leafs in the title and he gets hits. Also make up or hear rumors about a few other teams as well to get hits.

All you need to know is to take his rumors with a grain of salt. He has been surprisingly correct on a lot of his recent stuff, so I assume he does have conversations with the guys running the show.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
  #36
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Eklund may not be "respected" but the guy is far from stupid.

Think about this:

Eklund spends his life blogging about hockey and makes enough to get by (as far as I can tell).
Technically, his identity is a secret, even though I know he is traveling musician Dwayne Keith Klessel.
He has "insiders" in the Flyers organization and is an almost permanent fixture in the press box, probably for free.
He writes the equivalent of a couple posts on HF a DAY on Hockeybuzz and runs and owns the very profitable hockey website.
His podcasts are him and people he knows talking about hockey.

IDK about you, but BS or not, the guy is living the dream.

All he needs to do is come up with some rumors, throw Habs, Flyers, Leafs in the title and he gets hits. Also make up or hear rumors about a few other teams as well to get hits.

All you need to know is to take his rumors with a grain of salt. He has been surprisingly correct on a lot of his recent stuff, so I assume he does have conversations with the guys running the show.
I won't deny that.

That doesn't mean some of the nonsense he spews has any merit. I get it, you write what you hear (or apparently hear); but so many of them are SOOOO out there, and borderline impossible, why publish it?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:37 AM
  #37
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I won't deny that.

That doesn't mean some of the nonsense he spews has any merit. I get it, you write what you hear (or apparently hear); but so many of them are SOOOO out there, and borderline impossible, why publish it?


Hits on his site = advertising revenue

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  #38
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
And that's fine, doesn't mean he should be given any merit as someone actually providing viable rumors. He hits so infrequently (usually), that I find it useless.

Entertainment? Sure. Viable source of trade rumors? Hardly.


But you're right "stupid" is the wrong word. I was just being juvenile haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:42 AM
  #39
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Hey guys, I hear from my sources that Eklund is getting traded for a huge steaming pile of...........

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  #40
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,379
vCash: 1412
While it isn't extraordinary for GMs to promulgate their true intentions, Holmgren was on WIP last night and specified the team would be interested in adding depth personnel only.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  #41
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
i dont get the hate for the guy. He is creating hockey talk. He is reporting rumors. Just that rumors, why do people get bent out of shape abotu it? Even if he does make it up it gives you something ot talk about. He is pulling in the cash and goe son tv and th elike all the while covering hockey. I am jealous and envious.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  #42
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
That's actually his job... to pass along almost everything he hears.

But as for this being its own thread; to me it is interesting discussing the questions I asked
:

Who is our top prospect?

What is our major need?

Would Homer trade the top prospect for a rental to win the Cup this season?

and,

Is JvR considered a prospect at this point in time (I believe he is) ... could he be moved?



However if the moderators want to move it, that is fine with me... It's up to them.
Yes, but Eklund literally throws the Flyers out there in about 50% of his noise... if you want to track every single one of his Flyer "rumors" you're going to fill the front page of the board.

Unlike others, I have no problem discussing Eklund's stuff... just not sure it needs to be pulled out and dealt with as being distinct from all the other deadline discussion.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
  #43
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,774
vCash: 500
It's not Eriksson as Eklund later said that top prospect is in the Flyers lineup right now.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
  #44
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I won't deny that.

That doesn't mean some of the nonsense he spews has any merit. I get it, you write what you hear (or apparently hear); but so many of them are SOOOO out there, and borderline impossible, why publish it?
It's long been established that he has legitimate connections and contacts within the NHL community. What gets him is that he has zero filter between his sources and what he puts on his site... some people get irritated by the "noise" quality to his writing.

However, if you look back to last summer I think he's been getting a lot more right than he used to.

All that being said, when he gets away from just writing about the rumors he hears, he comes off like a complete dumb ass.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
  #45
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
The Flyers are arguably the top team in the East. I don't want any trade unless it's heavily in our favor. Goaltending is a question, but isn't an issue. Everyone has bad games, and no team is going to win every game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
  #46
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
The Flyers are arguably the top team in the East. I don't want any trade unless it's heavily in our favor. Goaltending is a question, but isn't an issue. Everyone has bad games, and no team is going to win every game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Question: Was goaltedning an issue last year? After Lavi took over.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:52 AM
  #47
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Question: Was goaltedning an issue last year? After Lavi took over.
Yes, but there's a big difference between Boucher/Leighton... and Boucher/Bob. Bob isn't perfect yet, but he probably has the best athleticism between the pipes that we've seen around here in some time.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
  #48
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
While it isn't extraordinary for GMs to promulgate their true intentions, Holmgren was on WIP last night and specified the team would be interested in adding depth personnel only.
great, that means a big deal is indeed on the way.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:56 AM
  #49
Dartmouth Big Green
Registered User
 
Dartmouth Big Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Amazing this RUMOR pops up a few hours after the Flyers give up 7 goals (1EN), if the top prospect is in the lineup as he said it has to be JVR or Bob, can't think of any others who fit that description.

Dartmouth Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:59 AM
  #50
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, but there's a big difference between Boucher/Leighton... and Boucher/Bob. Bob isn't perfect yet, but he probably has the best athleticism between the pipes that we've seen around here in some time.
So what are you saying? We'll be fine in playoffs with Bobrovsky and Boucher? Because both goalies arguable better than last year combination Leighton/Boucher?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.