HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Ryan McDonagh Mancrush Thread...

Old
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
just a hypathetical question to stir up this day off of rangers hockey...would anyone move Del Zotto + to get a young PMD with great powerplay skills? of course it would have to be a defenseman that plays the left side too. I'm not talking Kaberle who is 32-33 years old.

Staal - Girardi
????? - Sauer
McDonagh - Gilroy

Gilroy is that good stop gap number six although I'd move gilroy and put eminger there too just a good spot for either guy till McIlrath is ready, or Kundratek for that matter..

Yandle, Enstrom, I'm not really sure who else has been putting up 40+ pts the past couple years but just curious if there is a defenseman for the left side...I know guys on the right side that would be worth a pretty big offer, Green, Burns, Weber, Seabrook...although our right side looks set for awhile..just curious

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
ogie

Been impressed with McD, kid is level headed, has a good positioning, he doesn't do anything too flashy but does everything well.

Just think that in a year or so the Rangers could have a defensive corps consisting solely of homegrown talent. That is something unheard of in the modern NHL.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I could see Mcdonaugh being a real solid player for us in the future.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
just a hypathetical question to stir up this day off of rangers hockey...would anyone move Del Zotto + to get a young PMD with great powerplay skills? of course it would have to be a defenseman that plays the left side too. I'm not talking Kaberle who is 32-33 years old.

Staal - Girardi
????? - Sauer
McDonagh - Gilroy

Gilroy is that good stop gap number six although I'd move gilroy and put eminger there too just a good spot for either guy till McIlrath is ready, or Kundratek for that matter..

Yandle, Enstrom, I'm not really sure who else has been putting up 40+ pts the past couple years but just curious if there is a defenseman for the left side...I know guys on the right side that would be worth a pretty big offer, Green, Burns, Weber, Seabrook...although our right side looks set for awhile..just curious
We arent gonna trade MDZ! He is 20 with amazing potential. I think eventually he will be paired with Sauer because he plays such a solid game. He can give MDZ some confidence to use his offensive skill. I see Gilly being the odd one out at some point, maybe the part of a trade. I really dont know what the Rangers are gonna do because they have a lot of defenseman. I could see the trading one if they try to get a vet D man. Maybe they just stick with the young guns.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
We arent gonna trade MDZ! He is 20 with amazing potential. I think eventually he will be paired with Sauer because he plays such a solid game. He can give MDZ some confidence to use his offensive skill. I see Gilly being the odd one out at some point, maybe the part of a trade. I really dont know what the Rangers are gonna do because they have a lot of defenseman. I could see the trading one if they try to get a vet D man. Maybe they just stick with the young guns.
Oh I agree I wouldn't move him either, just playing around with the idea, and I too think Gilroy is the odd one out by deadline time, then again we could see

Staal - Girardi
DZ/Eminger - Sauer
McDonagh - Gilroy/Eminger

but McDonagh looks solid great size, and a tremendous skater. Within a few weeks McD could join Sauer, Staal, and Girardi as the 4 locks of that defense and DZ, Eminger, & Gilroy going after the of the spots.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:59 AM
clmetsfan

McDonagh is reminding me of Girardi when he first came up. Just a smart, dependable dman who makes the right pass nearly all the time. And unlike Girardi, whose offensive skills took a while to emerge, McDonagh clearly has that capability right at the surface. Once he gets a bit more comfort and confidence, you're going to see a rock-solid second pairing guy very quickly.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Isn't that what MDZ is projected to be? Give him time and let him grow into the role.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
This tells me that if most of these guys pan out, some guys are going to have to be traded
Which is exactly what prospects are for... trading. We have tons of D, so it becomes a position of strength, we can deal a few of those guys for a great player.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
McDonagh is reminding me of Girardi when he first came up. Just a smart, dependable dman who makes the right pass nearly all the time. And unlike Girardi, whose offensive skills took a while to emerge, McDonagh clearly has that capability right at the surface. Once he gets a bit more comfort and confidence, you're going to see a rock-solid second pairing guy very quickly.
Agreed, except you can tell McDonagh is more skilled then both Girardi and Sauer. I think the mini-Staal comparison made by Gordie Clarke was spot on.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
bubba5

who says the gomez signing was a bad thing.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
eco's bones

There was one play last night that stood out for me as proof of his great skating and atheleticism. One on one against Mason Raymond (who is a pretty good player) he forced him to lose control and while guiding him towards the boards kicked the puck away with the back heel of his skate and it didn't seem like it was an accident. I don't know if McDonagh is going to be much of a point producer but he's going to be a very solid player for a long time. He's got size, skating, strength and knows how to play his position at least in his own end.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
gotmonte

I am not sold JUST YET.

I am sure he is a good player, but these kids showes they NEEDED to be in the AHL for the entire year to learn more. We get an injury, the kids come up and play well AND NOW THEY ARE FULL FLEDGE NHL PLAYERS? I think they still need Training and skill set learning. Just like MDZ does. He is good, he WILL be great, he just needs more training in the pro's

There is NOTHING wrong with having this kids in the minors ONE MORE YEAR and we deal with what we have up here.

I dont want to stunt the growth. Our good friend Manny Malhotra. He was up and down up and down and he would be sidelined so many games. He even had a coach say he was no better than a thrid line guy as his POTENTIAL. After all that and with Lundmark I am shy about bringing kids up and letting them play full time on the mother team. Let them sit in the minors, make decent money down there, learn from the coaches that are there to TEACH the KIDS...

But who am I? I am just one fan out of a million who says Keep McDonagh up. I hope you guys are right!

I am not into being happy when I am right if it has anything to do with this type of subject. SO I pray I am wrong and these kids BLOSSOM infront of us and we win 10 cups in a row until they get too old to play and we start another youth rebuild

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I am not sold JUST YET.

I am sure he is a good player, but these kids showes they NEEDED to be in the AHL for the entire year to learn more. We get an injury, the kids come up and play well AND NOW THEY ARE FULL FLEDGE NHL PLAYERS? I think they still need Training and skill set learning. Just like MDZ does. He is good, he WILL be great, he just needs more training in the pro's

There is NOTHING wrong with having this kids in the minors ONE MORE YEAR and we deal with what we have up here.

I dont want to stunt the growth. Our good friend Manny Malhotra. He was up and down up and down and he would be sidelined so many games. He even had a coach say he was no better than a thrid line guy as his POTENTIAL. After all that and with Lundmark I am shy about bringing kids up and letting them play full time on the mother team. Let them sit in the minors, make decent money down there, learn from the coaches that are there to TEACH the KIDS...

But who am I? I am just one fan out of a million who says Keep McDonagh up. I hope you guys are right!

I am not into being happy when I am right if it has anything to do with this type of subject. SO I pray I am wrong and these kids BLOSSOM infront of us and we win 10 cups in a row until they get too old to play and we start another youth rebuild
Booooo You Suck.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

McDonagh is like Girardi except he's a much better skater.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
It was going to happen eventually, might as well start now.

If he keeps playing like this, he's going to be a mainstay the way Sauer has become one.
Good skater, he has not looked like he was in over his head in any game...and the most important thing for any dman....so far he looks like he has great hockey vision. We have a solid foundation for the D...haven't been able to say that for a long time.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:00 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I am not sold JUST YET.

Get what you're saying but totally disagree. If these kids weren't playing well then I would be 100% in agreement, but they have been playing well. Malhotra bad example, the kid was caught in the cross fire between the coach and the GM, so he lost his entire first year sitting on the bench when he should have been returned to Juniors.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
darko

Quote:

Del Zotto is a young PMD, potential PP QB and plays left side.

You'd be basically trading away exactly what you want to acquire.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post

Still astounded that we got him for Gomez.

I like this guy a lot. Very, very good skater. Good offensive instincts, and his intelligence is through the roof. I'm highly impressed with how well he has played in his first NHL action. It's like all these solid dmen are coming out of nowhere. Sauer, Eminger, McDonagh.

And he's strong as an Ox. And he's still only 22.
yup,seriousley man.at everything you said!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

I don't get the hype... He's a bottom pairing defensive defenseman on some NHL teams or a 7th defenseman/AHL bound type player on better teams.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
I don't get the hype... He's a bottom pairing defensive defenseman on some NHL teams or a 7th defenseman/AHL bound type player on better teams.
Gonna have to agree to disagree. In his short time, he's been nothing but impressive in the NHL at 21 years old.

EDIT: Looks a lot like Staal did as a rookie, imo. Probably doesn't have the upside of Staal, but a smaller, poor man's Staal would be phenomenal, considering what we "gave up" to get him.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Just a smart, dependable dman
What impresses me most about McDonagh. He's playing really well without having to do much physically, or technically. Him and Stepan seem to possess a high understanding of the game. Must be a Wisconsin thing~. These kids are schooled well.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
asparkoflife

McDonagh looks to be a top 4 D ceiling. He sees the play well, is smart with the puck, sticks to his lane defensively. Hasn't made any real glaring mistakes in his first handful of games.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Gonna have to agree to disagree. In his short time, he's been nothing but impressive in the NHL at 21 years old.

EDIT: Looks a lot like Staal did as a rookie, imo. Probably doesn't have the upside of Staal, but a smaller, poor man's Staal would be phenomenal, considering what we "gave up" to get him.
From his post history he's a Habs fan. Of course he's going to say stupid **** that's untrue about McDonagh.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:21 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
From his post history he's a Habs fan. Of course he's going to say stupid **** that's untrue about McDonagh.
Ahh, makes sense. I should've checked, but was tricked by his "USA, USA, USA."

Poor Habs fans... Gomez' contract for four more seasons, and they get to watch McDonagh develop from afar.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
newfy

Red Wings fan here

Hey all you ranger fans out there, I meant to come on here last night and say this but I was busy.

The rangers have an absolute stud in the making by the name of Ryan Mcdonagh. He was terrific against the wings. Mcilrath and him could be a pretty good pairing for years to come in New York. You have alot to look forward to with Mcdonagh.

Oh and I really like Prust too, wish Detroit would get a guy like him. Maybe not the best fighter but can actually play hockey and throw down the mitts with a lot of the bigger guys.

Fun team to watch in New York for sure

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote