HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Logjam

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2011, 02:44 AM
  #51
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't think either of Gilroy or Eminger get you a 2nd. Probably not even a 3rd. Doubt we see Kundratek or Valentenko this season either, but one of them should be a serious contender to make the team next season, which is why I wouldn't bring either Gilroy or Eminger back, especially if they expect to receive 7 figures like they are now.
Great idea. lets jumble our defensive pairings next year because you dont want to pay our 5th and 6th dmen a million dollars each but you do want to keep our 4th line center who makes 7 mil.


Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 01-14-2011 at 02:57 AM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:02 AM
  #52
nyr5186
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans
Country: Madagascar
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
I think we're in a position right now where we don't need to fix what ain't broke. Key words right now.

Who knows where our defense will be in a month. It's perfectly possible that the bottom four will continue to ride the wave of success, and keep stepping up their game post-Roszy. It's also perfectly possible that at some point between now and the deadline, one or a few of them will lose some confidence and make some big mistakes that cost us games. It's also possible that someone gets injured at some point. As has already been mentioned, this is where having depth and some cap leeway is big. We have the ability to plug in new guys from Hartford (MDZ, etc.) if someone gets injured and a spot opens up, and we have the tools to make a deal to upgrade our D corps for a playoff run if need be.

Personally, I would stand pat for a little bit and give the kids a shot to play and improve themselves and gain valuable big game experience. But I also would not be against picking up a guy like Pitkanen, who has several long playoff runs under his belt and would instantly improve our talent level and experience on D.

If I'm offered Pitkanen for Gilroy and Grachev, I would need to highly consider it.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:05 AM
  #53
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Great idea. lets jumble our defensive pairings next year because you dont want to pay our 5th and 6th dmen a million dollars each but you do want to keep our 4th line center who makes 7 mil.
Jumble our defense pairings? Isn't that already happening, since our 6th defenseman hasn't played for half the season? Or are you ready to hand him the job because he's played well for 2 weeks? Sorry, but I'm not sold just yet.

And who said I want to keep Drury? If there was a good trade to be made, I'd be all for it. I've never said Drury isn't drastically overpaid. Buying out his contract is another matter entirely, however. Why would you take away cap space for another year when you can just wait out his deal? The only way I'd be for that is if it was absolutely necessary to sign Richards, but I don't want Richards if he's going to be overpaid, which is probably the only reason you would have to buy Drury out.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:08 AM
  #54
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Staal and Girardi are givens. They have developed into giants and will obviously anchor this blueline for a while.

Half a year ago, everyone wanted to dump Girardi for not joining in the Gabby fight.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
  #55
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Watching McD the last two games you realize that he is ready for the NHL. Right now MDZ is going to have a really hard time bumping any of our top six from the starting lineup. However, we've got Philly coming up and the combination of size, skill and speed can make many defensmen look bad. Really intersting to see how McD and Gilroy handle the Flyers forecheck!

If we are to succeed as a team, we will need MDZ in the lineup. Not now, not while he's struggling, but we need that 50-55 point offensive defenseman. I believe MDZ can be that. If not, we'll need to either draft or trade for one.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
  #56
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
You know what's better than Staal? Two Staals.

And Girardi is what? Chopped liver?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:32 AM
  #57
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
And Girardi is what? Chopped liver?
Girardi = Staal fortified with calcium for maximum shot blocking.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 AM
  #58
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
After the Vancouver game you don't change anything, certainly not on the blueline

The nice thing about the logjam other than the obvious talent level is the potential savings against the cap spent on defense thus allowing slats to spend on offense (not that most of his offensive acquisitions have done much)

but its still a good position to be in. Take a shot with Wolski for example. If he pans out great ! if not it wasn't like Rozi was a key part of the team. Or as coach says a "core player"

If MDZ was sent to the AHL because he wasn't getting the message then let him stay down there awhile. NYR are doing fine without him and when he returns he will have a fire, and perhaps look more like his rookie season than this year. Because this year he has been rather horrendous on decision making and execution with the pill.

The interesting this is that MDZ's jump essentially got Sanguinetti a ticket out of town. Who knows what could have happened had Bobby S gotten a shot at ice time the way Eminger or Sauer have

also for the record I was very unhappy with how Girardi acted when Gabby dropped the mitts, but everyone makes mistakes. I think he is a core member of the team, signed a relatively long term deal and is a guy I expect to see out there in the last 2 minutes of any game.

despite the injuries on this team they keep putting out the effort necessary for good results

its a great season to be a die hard rangers fan

we know all too well that feeling of suckitude which prevailed here for years

lets enjoy this great run they are on

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
  #59
BrandNewDream
Registered User
 
BrandNewDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Loving how everyone has stepped up. McDonagh is a GREAT skater, I noticed that even more so watching it live last night. He's look more than fine out there.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
  #60
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
McDonagh's major problem is that he is not superb at any one aspect of the game besides mobility. I'd say a similar thing about Gilroy, but McD is much younger out of college and has more room for development and improvement.

Im enthusiastic but the team has been taking it very easy on the kid and for good reason. He is no where near a top 4 NHL defenseman right now.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:55 PM
  #61
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
You know what's better than Staal? Two Staals.
agreed but which one, jared?

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
  #62
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
I disagree.

McDonagh is a smart player, he's steady defensively. And he's physical.

He doesn't need to be a top four defenseman right now. Staal, Girardi, and Sauer are. And Eminger is there right now.

By sometime next season McDonagh will be ready for top four minutes.

He's definitely an NHL player. 4 games into his NHL career and he's already solid, making smart and subtle plays.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
  #63
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Great idea. lets jumble our defensive pairings next year because you dont want to pay our 5th and 6th dmen a million dollars each but you do want to keep our 4th line center who makes 7 mil.
Out of your 717 posts, I think 700 of them are bashing Drury. We are having a conversation about a defensive log jam, which is a good problem to have. So use your hockey knowledge and join in on the conversation. What should we do with Staal, Girardi, Eminger, Sauer, Gilroy, McD, MDZ, Vtank, McIlrath... Redden

We have a GOOD problem here. Eminger will be gone eventually just because we have such a log jam. MDZ will be back with the club sometime, I see either a trade, which might be smart considering how much talent we have. Gilly might end up being the odd one out though. Its gonna be fun to see what Slats can do. He now has some cap space AND a lot of pieces to play with. If he plays his cards right we should come very close to winning a cup in the next 5 years.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
  #64
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Gilroy is terrible.
A sliding dive to break up the pass on a 2 on 1, then got up and hustled down the ice and accepted a pass skated around the forward and sent a perfect pass right on Dubi's tape all alone in front, QB'd the PP, and the PP looked good last night and combined with McD to play excellent defense, yeah your right he's terrible...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
  #65
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Half a year ago, everyone wanted to dump Girardi for not joining in the Gabby fight.
Not me. At least, I truly don't think so. I have always been a big time Girardi supporter. If I got on him about not stepping up for Gabby, I was probably drunk, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe I defended him. In the past I know I've told other fans "no dice" when trying to include Girardi as a "2nd pair d-man" in trade proposals going back to a couple of years ago. I've definitely been on the Girardi boat.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:55 PM
  #66
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil
 
The Perfect Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 500
This is a great problem to have. Players like McD, McIlrath, Gilroy, Pashnin, Kundratek and Valentenko need to continue developing so we can see which players best fit our future plans. Only then can we go about trading players who we don't have room for.

As for right now, I say leave McD up and replace Gilroy with DZ once they think he has had enough time in the A.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.