HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Appreciation of (Perhaps) The Best 3rd Line in the NHL

Old
01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
In Appreciation of (Perhaps) The Best 3rd Line in the NHL

For years, the lacking of an effective 3rd/checking line was a weak spot in the Rangers lineup. No longer. Through some subtle moves by Sather, excellent coaching and great determination from the players themselves, The Boyle-Prust-Fedetenko line is becoming one of the best, IF NOT THE BEST third lines in the NHL. Great puck possession, outstanding penalty killing and a work ethic that sets the tone for the entire team.

Quote:
Games Goals Assists Points +/-
Brian Boyle 45 14 8 22 8
Ruslan Fedotenko 45 8 10 18 8
Brandon Prust 45 5 10 15 5
These guys are good. They deserve a tip of the hat.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

'Couldn't agree more, I love the work these guys do every night. Torts putting them out against the Sedin line last night is a testament to how much faith he has in them as well. A very well deserved tip of the hat.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
rangers4ever2007

yay, a shutdown line capable of being a threat on offense too. (unlike sjostrom-betts-orr)

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

best 3rd line? that may be a stretch. best 4th line by a huge margin for sure.

they are a damn good 3rd line though. they play so damn well together. they work the boards...they can seem to find each other without any peeking at all, and they play solid defensive hockey. hard to complain about em.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
best 3rd line? that may be a stretch. best 4th line by a huge margin for sure.

they are a damn good 3rd line though. they play so damn well together. they work the boards...they can seem to find each other without any peeking at all, and they play solid defensive hockey. hard to complain about em.
they arent the 4th line though. they are our 3rd line this year.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'll point to last nights game when people say Feds-Boyle-Prust are a 4th line. I just think when it comes to bottom 6 guys chemistry has a huge role in how good you play. This line has shown amazing chemistry since they were put together, and even if they're 4th liners individually the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here.

When you have a line that shuts down, and at times DOMINATES a line with the Sedin twins, you know you have something great.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Love this line.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I always knew Boyle had it in him. Feds still has some gas left in the tank. But Prust is the one who always surprises me, his game is always there night after night and he's gotten better as time goes on. He was a great pickup.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
ogie

i love the energy this line has , but god damn Prust has stone hands. If he was just a little bit better of a passer this line would be amazing.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i love the energy this line has , but god damn Prust has stone hands. If he was just a little bit better of a passer this line would be amazing.
Some games Prust looks like the best passer on this team. Dislike the stone hands nickname.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I don't know whether call this our 3rd or 4th line, but they've done an amazing job shutting other team's scoring down and giving us some impressive forechecking. The only thing I would like to see more from them is to maybe pot one every few games.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Some games Prust looks like the best passer on this team. Dislike the stone hands nickname.
Beginning of the season, yes. Now he's carrying the puck and able to dish it pretty well.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Beginning of the season, yes. Now he's carrying the puck and able to dish it pretty well.
he can definitely carry the puck, and he's got a motor but every game there are moments when he makes bad passes or decisions that negate all that hard work he just did.

not knocking the guy, just saying.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Canjo
AVA

its sort of a strange feeling, getting excited when a certain line is on the ice, especially it being a third line, but immediately start to think that a game might start to turn around when this line comes on the ice, and the strangest part: it actually happens!!!

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I always knew Boyle had it in him. Feds still has some gas left in the tank. But Prust is the one who always surprises me, his game is always there night after night and he's gotten better as time goes on. He was a great pickup.
Sather strikes again....

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I felt from the get go the Feds was the man this team needed.
the Surprise man of the season is however Boyle, he must be the most improved player in the NHL this year.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Someone on this board has been mentioning Boyle as a better RW than he is a center. Maybe even top 6 material, and I kind of like the idea too. Big kid, good shot. Good skater, and good hockey sense.

...But then reality smacks me in the face! How can you ever break up this line up? They are excellent together.

Continuation of last season when Shelley was with them. Fedotenko obviously a better player, but overall these guys have great chemistry.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

The best comparison I can come up with is the Travis Moen-Rob Niedemeyer-Samuel Paullsson "checking" line that played together in Anaheimn a few years ago. Dead nuts shutdown defensive line and plenty of puck possession and offense to boot. It's a classic checking line. Torts' starts them most games (all road games) knowing it doesn't matter who they are up against, they won't be overmatched.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Sather strikes again....
After all, he does deserve credit for some things

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:29 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
For years, the lacking of an effective 3rd/checking line was a weak spot in the Rangers lineup. No longer. Through some subtle moves by Sather, excellent coaching and great determination from the players themselves, The Boyle-Prust-Fedetenko line is becoming one of the best, IF NOT THE BEST third lines in the NHL. Great puck possession, outstanding penalty killing and a work ethic that sets the tone for the entire team.

These guys are good. They deserve a tip of the hat.
Great thread...well deserved kudos for the entire line. They bring it every shift of every game...best word to describe them is relentless

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
HockeyBurd*

You can't say a 4th line eats up this many important minutes and is out in critical situations. When Boyle sucked, this was a 4th line. Now it's definitely the third line. And one of those third lines that you put out there when the going gets tough. A Bobby Holik hay-day type of 3rd line. I don't know that it's the best but it's one of the best... at least to this point. Call me a skeptic but it's really hard to believe that they can replicate this kind of production in the second half. That would be monumental.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:05 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
You can't say a 4th line eats up this many important minutes and is out in critical situations. When Boyle sucked, this was a 4th line. Now it's definitely the third line. And one of those third lines that you put out there when the going gets tough. A Bobby Holik hay-day type of 3rd line. I don't know that it's the best but it's one of the best... at least to this point. Call me a skeptic but it's really hard to believe that they can replicate this kind of production in the second half. That would be monumental.
I think they can replicate it in the 2nd half because they have been getting better and getting more confident every game, and Torts has given them more minutes and responsibility as a result of their performance.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'll point to last nights game when people say Feds-Boyle-Prust are a 4th line. I just think when it comes to bottom 6 guys chemistry has a huge role in how good you play. This line has shown amazing chemistry since they were put together, and even if they're 4th liners individually the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here.

When you have a line that shuts down, and at times DOMINATES a line with the Sedin twins, you know you have something great.
They honestly did. It was astounding to watch. The Rangers had control of that game and the third line was a huge reason for that.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
mrhockey193195

Not going to deny it, I gave up on Boyle after one year, and I was incredibly skeptical of bringing in Fedotenko. So glad these have proved me wrong, that unit has been one of the brightest points of this team this year.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:03 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Not going to deny it, I gave up on Boyle after one year, and I was incredibly skeptical of bringing in Fedotenko. So glad these have proved me wrong, that unit has been one of the brightest points of this team this year.

You, me and whole other bunch.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote