HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik hurt more than we think?

Old
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
People were discussing earlier about teams "figuring Gaborik out"... I didn't buy into that too much but one thing is for sure, if you're playing defense on him, you cheat towards the center of the ice, because that's how he scores most of his goals, cutting across the ice and firing off a hard wrist shot... He's been mostly ineffective trying to go wide on defensemen and it's not leading to anything... Any defensemen who knows what he's doing is going to play Gabby in that manner...
He's just as effective from the circles, yet in the last 10~ games I think i've seen him try to set up a good wrister from the circles 2-3 times.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
SERE 24
LGR

There's no question Gaborik is still Gaborik and a tremendous talent so I'm not trying to react directly to his bad year, but would anybody actually be upset if we flipped Gaborik for something like James Neal + pick? We'd get Neal, a pick/prospect and the cap space to sign Brad Richards, no problemo (who might end up costing less, per year, than Gaborik). Just as an example; pick any good young forward on a good contract, but you get the idea. A little bit of an underpayment for Gaborik, but the added benefit of big cap space. I'd like Gaborik + Richards next year (if we can find a way to manage it under the cap), but there's a very good chance we don't have the cap to add Richards. In that case, I don't think that Neal + Richards + a pick/prospect but minus Gaborik is too bad of a compromise. Just food for thought.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:40 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I'd like everyone in this thread to remember that Ovechkin has been struggling this year. Much more than Gaborik.

Do you think Caps fans are in a hurry to trade him?

Adam Tensta's from the 163

Last edited by PromNite: 01-14-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I'd like everyone to in this thread to remember that Ovechkin has been struggling this year. Much more than Gaborik.

Ovie is only struggling for Ovie standards, he has 45 points in 44 games. He also brings more to his team than Gaborik does to ours. I don't think people are screaming for Gabby to be traded either; I'm not. I simply said he was movable and I wouldn't be too upset about it, depending on the circumstances. My intention was only to explore the idea - I never said we should be trying to get rid of this bum, or anything like that. I don't think Rangers fans are in a hurry to trade Gaborik so the point is moot.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
There's no question Gaborik is still Gaborik and a tremendous talent so I'm not trying to react directly to his bad year, but would anybody actually be upset if we flipped Gaborik for something like James Neal + pick? We'd get Neal, a pick/prospect and the cap space to sign Brad Richards, no problemo (who might end up costing less, per year, than Gaborik). Just as an example; pick any good young forward on a good contract, but you get the idea. A little bit of an underpayment for Gaborik, but the added benefit of big cap space. I'd like Gaborik + Richards next year (if we can find a way to manage it under the cap), but there's a very good chance we don't have the cap to add Richards. In that case, I don't think that Neal + Richards + a pick/prospect but minus Gaborik is too bad of a compromise. Just food for thought.
I'd do that 100%.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
AJRanger

NYDNRangers
Gaborik said that maybe missing a month messed with his timing a bit, but he has no health issues right now.

Last edited by AJRanger: 01-14-2011 at 12:23 PM.
AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Ke11y96

@NYDNRangers: Gabroik said that maybe missing a month messed with his timing a bit, but he has no health issues right now.

guess it'll just take some time...no injuries..

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

Isn't he a streaky player anyways? It seems he'll get a bunch of points in a few games, than he's almost invisible for a few games.

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan87 View Post
Isn't he a streaky player anyways? It seems he'll get a bunch of points in a few games, than he's almost invisible for a few games.
Somewhat, but this is what I found earlier in the thread:

Looking at his game log for 06-07 I only saw 12 games he didn't have a point in, out of 48. In 07-08 it looks like he had points in all but 28 games, out of 77. In 08-09 he only played 17 games and last year he had points in all but 27 out of 76. In 05-06 he had points in all but 24 games, out of 65. This year he hasn't had a single point in 15 of 31 games. He's only showing up in half the games he's played in, and what's worse, 7 of his 11 goals came in three games against the Islanders and Oilers. He has 4 goals in 28 other games.

He has to be given the benefit of the doubt, when he says "maybe [my] timing is off" but he better get it back on sometime soon because we're not scoring enough to keep winning these super tight games. Henrik has been in beast mode. Not that the team isn't playing great defensively and on the PK and such to help him out, but we need an offensive spark.

Old
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
NYDNRangers
Gaborik said that maybe missing a month messed with his timing a bit, but he has no health issues right now.
Messed with his timing maybe. But he's playing timid.

01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
NYDNRangers
Thanks AJ...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

The team is 26-16-3, which has to exceed just about everyone's expectations. Maybe another offensive threat (like Wolski) will force teams to adjust their focus a bit.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

One thing that I've noticed is that Torts hasn't really called Gabby out for lack of effort or anything or for not giving it his all every game.

Maybe it's because we've been winning, but Torts usually calls guys out -- especially vets -- when they aren't performing well. Remember Redden last year? He did it to Rozy and many of the other older guys last year and a few times this year as well.

Torts has been pretty quiet on Gaborik considering how poorly Gabby has been on the score sheet.

That says two, maybe three things to me:

1) Gaborik is still a bit hurt and Torts knows it but is playing him anyway because we are so banged up we can't afford to sit him to get to 100% with Cally, EC and Prospal out.

2) Torts recognizes Gaborik has been giving all he can, and despite not really scoring, has been involved in a lot of the scoring plays either as an assist or second assist or just playing well on both sides of the ice and hustling -- even in the D-zone.

3) Gaborik has some real confidence issues and is the type of guy that beats himself up or is thin-skinned when underperforming and facing criticism. Torts knows this, and isn't trying to **** on the guy when he knows he's struggling and trying to get the monkey off the back.

--------

Even if just one of those three things is indeed correct, I'm not mad at Gaborik. Last night I saw him give such a top-notch effort and he just couldn't score. That breakaway could've done wonders for him but he was skating real well and I saw him rip a few hard wristers or snap shots from the circles like he used to do more often. Definitely improving in my opinion.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:52 PM
AJRanger

I'd be annoyed if Torts did call Gabby out again, he's clearly been trying and has looked much better these past few games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thanks AJ...
No worries, thought it was worth posting as everyone had been speculating on his health.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
One thing that I've noticed is that Torts hasn't really called Gabby out for lack of effort or anything or for not giving it his all every game.
Torts has been very professional about it... You have to coddle your stars too... Much easier to call our a 4th or 3rd liner on your team who plays a decreased role than it is to call out your go to offensive guy.... I remember in one post game conference a month or two ago, the media was asking him about the first line combinations and Torts made a point to say that Gaborik needs to produce and be responsible for his play regardless of who his linemates are on any given night, basically saying it's no excuse on his part for sub-standard play..... Torts chooses his words carefully.... He's not going to directly call Gaborik out to the media but I think it's pretty clear that Tortorella thinks Gaborik's play needs to be significantly better & more consistent....

I agree with you it's certainly not a lack of trying with Gaborik.... But whatever mental block he's dealing with right now, he needs to find a way to get over it because Torts can't play the game for him.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Messed with his timing maybe. But he's playing timid.
This is what I've noticed for months now. He avoids contact at almost all costs, which forces him to take shots from bad areas. He also rarely crashes the net, which he used to do so much last season.

All of that screams timid to me.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I'd like everyone in this thread to remember that Ovechkin has been struggling this year. Much more than Gaborik.

Ovechkin is still going at a point per game clip. As a AO fantasy owner, I know: that's low for him but he's doing fine enough where I'd never bench him. Hardly comparable to Gaborik's struggles.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Ovechkin is still going at a point per game clip. As a AO fantasy owner, I know: that's low for him but he's doing fine enough where I'd never bench him. Hardly comparable to Gaborik's struggles.
AO also doesn't have the history of injuries that Gaborik does.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
I'd be annoyed if Torts did call Gabby out again, he's clearly been trying and has looked much better these past few games.

No worries, thought it was worth posting as everyone had been speculating on his health.
He has gotten a lot of quality scoring chances in the past few games. I think its only a matter of time before he pots a few and gets a little streak going.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

He's absolutely hurt. Of course he'll deny it. As he should. As he mostly does.

But he is so timid, gun shy and skates so gingerly so much of the time. Anybody that has played with some pain and soreness and fear of re-injury knows exactly what it looks like. And that's what it looks like.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes still not too far off of a PPG mark...he gets on a hot streak and he could get back to that....i love the way he and Wojlski are playing though..they look awesome.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:01 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post

But he is so timid, gun shy and skates so gingerly so much of the time. Anybody that has played with some pain and soreness and fear of re-injury knows exactly what it looks like. And that's what it looks like.
If he's not hurt, he definitely looks at times like he's afraid of getting hurt. Which is only natural for somebody with his history of injuries. Even last year when he was firing on all cylinders, he rarely got in the trenches and grinded it out along the walls. That's not his game. He's not a physical player. He's a player that relies on a speed transition game and an uncanny ability to find open space and fool goalies with his sneaky shot.

It really all comes down to confidence for him. Last year it almost seemed like half the shots he was taking were going in (I remember he had some ridiculous shooting % halfway through the season that was miles ahead of anyone else in the league). This year he can't catch a break. But I can definitely tell his legs are coming back, he's getting into that next gear again, and even if he's not scoring goals now he's definitely involved in creating offense for us. The Wolski goal last night was a direct result of Gaborik outhustling everyone to the front of the net and creating havoc for the goalie.

Al Trautwig said after the game that Gaborik looks like he's due for an 8 goal outburst. It's only a matter of time folks. And honestly, I can live with him struggling for the rest of the season, as long as he gets hot in April and May.

nyr5186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I honestly don't care right now if he is putting up points or not, we are winning and he is trying his best and giving it his all.

He is Marian ****ing Gaborik. He is twice as good at putting the puck in the net than any other goal scorer on this team. He will get his 2 goal game or multipoint night that will get him going and it will be lights out from that point forward.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I honestly don't care right now if he is putting up points or not, we are winning and he is trying his best and giving it his all.

He is Marian ****ing Gaborik. He is twice as good at putting the puck in the net than any other goal scorer on this team. He will get his 2 goal game or multipoint night that will get him going and it will be lights out from that point forward.
While I'm not as optimistic as you are, I'm also not as worried as most. He is still making plays, passing well and when he shoots, it's still dangerous. It's not like Jagr where he has stopped shooting altogether.

But I do think he is avoiding hits, and physical play for the most part. He still parks himself in the slot and takes the punishment, but he is not as effective as he was last year. With the info that we are given as fans, it's tough to tell whether it is truly a confidence issue or an injury. But if it's an injury, it's not bad enough to keep him sidelined... so step it up a little, Gabby. The team is hurting for goals right now, and it would be the perfect time to bust out of your slump.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
What if he's not hurt?

Quote:
Maybe he's healthy and fearing being injured again?

I don't necessarily buy into all this "injury denial" in Gaborik's case here.... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if Gaborik is nursing an injury, as so many believe he is, that it's either:

A) his groin

or

B) the shoulder he injured

What exactly would Torts or Gaborik think they are hiding to the hockey media? Surely if the fans can look at his play and deduce that he's injured/hurt, so could any team that plays the Rangers and watches the game tapes.

I don't necessarily understand how he could be so aggressive and involved in the Carolina game, and then disappear in the others...