HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking to make another deal

Old
01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

FINALLY!!!
A name change in the middle of an election? Controversial...

01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
PBC9400

Chris Phillips is a -20 with 3 assists in 44 games this season. I don't see how he would be so expensive to trade for. I know he is a solid defender but if you look at what players are traded for at the deadline, most of the time it is draft picks and prospects. Jamie Langenbrunner was just dealt for a 3rd rounder. I see Phillips in the same category of a player as Langenbrunner just on defense. Both guys are not stars, do not have terrific numbers but are known to be solid and effective hockey players with some playoff experience.

Another comparison for a guy like Phillips, look at Dan Hamhuis. Solid defensively and he can put up 20 points. Similar type of players I think. Hamhuis was traded for a third round pick in the off-season also, no? Thats for a whole season of play too, not just a rental.

Not too sure about what Ottawa is looking for in terms of positional players but how about an offer of a 3rd rounder and Valentenko or Kundratek or if we have to put up a forward maybe Werek and a 3rd?

What do you all think?

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
What about instead of Bourque--Grachev and a 2nd.Bourque seems to be passing Grachev on the depth chart in the rankings of the system--plus it's been reported that Bruke likes Grachev.

Seems to me like a few players are passing Grachev,

Bourque
Krieder
Thomas
and maybe even Hagelin

It sure is nice talking about top prospects instead of big fat bloated FA contracts like in past.The way I see it other then maybe Richards(hopefully in the off season)bring on the youth.Good to be a Ranger's fan looking at the future.
Bourque is a good little player, but he has not come close to surpassing Grachev on the depth chart. Grachev has NHL experience and has looked better as the season has progressed in the AHL. I personally think he will be a Franzen type in the NHL. I don't foresee Bourque ever making it.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A name change in the middle of an election? Controversial...

I knew one of you would bring it up. I have a little less than 0% chance of winning that election so I figured it was about time to change my username from the one I created a long time ago.

controversial....

Old
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC9400 View Post
Chris Phillips is a -20 with 3 assists in 44 games this season. I don't see how he would be so expensive to trade for. I know he is a solid defender but if you look at what players are traded for at the deadline, most of the time it is draft picks and prospects. Jamie Langenbrunner was just dealt for a 3rd rounder. I see Phillips in the same category of a player as Langenbrunner just on defense. Both guys are not stars, do not have terrific numbers but are known to be solid and effective hockey players with some playoff experience.

Another comparison for a guy like Phillips, look at Dan Hamhuis. Solid defensively and he can put up 20 points. Similar type of players I think. Hamhuis was traded for a third round pick in the off-season also, no? Thats for a whole season of play too, not just a rental.

Not too sure about what Ottawa is looking for in terms of positional players but how about an offer of a 3rd rounder and Valentenko or Kundratek or if we have to put up a forward maybe Werek and a 3rd?

What do you all think?
Its very difficult to compare a forward, who should put up points, to a defensive, shut-down defenseman. Phillips has lost a step or so, but he is still one of the best shut-down defenders in the league.

Hamhuis was traded because Nashville either didnt want to meet his contract demands or couldn't get him signed. It was a "get rid of him now for anything" type of deal. Kind of like the JBo situation a couple of years ago for Florida who got Leopold(dumped by Calgary) and a pick for JBo, who at the time was considered one of the best defenseman in the game.

I would think a 2nd + a mid-level prospect(Weise, Bourque, Kundratek, Valentenko) is about what Phillips would cost but its hard to tell because if there is a lot of interested teams, then the price gets driven up very quickly.

Old
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Black Tank

Phillips has not looked great in the handful of games I've seen - he seems to have aged well beyond his years and I want no part of him. This seems like the same old **** we've tried a hundred times before except that in the cap era it can really hurt the organization for a while.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:44 PM
howztheglass

Quote:
Bourque is a good little player, but he has not come close to surpassing Grachev on the depth chart. Grachev has NHL experience and has looked better as the season has progressed in the AHL. I personally think he will be a Franzen type in the NHL. I don't foresee Bourque ever making it.
Not so sure maybe it's just all the hype this season with the young guys plus every where you turn their all on t.v.As far as being little Zucco I believe will open the door for little guys on the Ranger's again--Bourque will make the NHL if not on his play then his name--might be wrong but his Pa was a big deal.Don't get me wrong I'm not saying get rid of Grachev but in the right package I could see him dealt.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Borque will make it to the NHL.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
howztheglass

I was just looking at the Ranger's web site to see how tall Bourque was--he's the same hight as Thomas(5'9")the only shorter player in the system is Zucco.I'll be honest I didn't even think Bourque was 5'9" maybe he plays bigger then he really is.But your right Grachev(6'4") is a giant compared to Bourque.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Orr Nightmare

Can we trade for Rozy...he is missed!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Can we trade for Rozy...he is missed!
Really? havent noticed.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Uncle Ed

reports say seabrook is available, i find it unlikely but your thoughts?

Uncle Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
nyr5186

I would honestly rather stay away from Kaberle. He'd cost too much for it to be worth it.

The player I really want is Joni Pitkanen. I've always liked him. He's consistently played really well against us. 6'3 210. Lefty. Put up 46 points in 71 games with the Canes last year. Has several long playoff runs under his belt. Has a bit of nastiness to his game. Not afraid of the physical stuff. This is the last year of his 3 yr 12mil deal with Carolina. If the Canes begin to fall out of playoff contention, I could see them trying to move him. In which case, what would it take to get him at the deadline?

I mentioned in another thread that I would probably do Gilroy and Grachev for him. Any thoughts?

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

honestly, we need a defender who is strong defensively. playoff time it's all about the close games and to do that we need a shut down and gritty defender.

right now, gilroy is showing us he can run the powerplay. i'm certain that if del zotto regains all of his confidence and instinct down in hartford that he'll also be more than capable of running the point. right now its about locking up our defense.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed View Post
reports say seabrook is available, i find it unlikely but your thoughts?

I'd LOVE to see a top pairing of Staal and Seabrook.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
I was just looking at the Ranger's web site to see how tall Bourque was--he's the same hight as Thomas(5'9")the only shorter player in the system is Zucco.I'll be honest I didn't even think Bourque was 5'9" maybe he plays bigger then he really is.But your right Grachev(6'4") is a giant compared to Bourque.
I saw him in person when Team USA played at RPI as a tune-up for the WJC. He was a scratch and was walking around and there is no chance he is 5'9. More 5'7.

Kreider however, is every bit the 6'2 they say he is.

Old
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
I would honestly rather stay away from Kaberle. He'd cost too much for it to be worth it.

The player I really want is Joni Pitkanen. I've always liked him. He's consistently played really well against us. 6'3 210. Lefty. Put up 46 points in 71 games with the Canes last year. Has several long playoff runs under his belt. Has a bit of nastiness to his game. Not afraid of the physical stuff. This is the last year of his 3 yr 12mil deal with Carolina. If the Canes begin to fall out of playoff contention, I could see them trying to move him. In which case, what would it take to get him at the deadline?

I mentioned in another thread that I would probably do Gilroy and Grachev for him. Any thoughts?
I am not a Pitkanen fan, I have seen him play for edmonton, Philly, and the canes and just am not a fan. With that being said, he is the type of player sather would love to get at the deadline. A big defenseman who has offensive talent and can man the point. We have traded for Ozo, Poti, and Morris... I can see Pitkanen or Kaberle being his main targets at the deadline, but Pitkanen won't even be available unless the Canes drop out of the hunt. I think a 2nd and a solid prospect could be enough to pry him away if and thats a huge if, but if he become available.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
free0717

Quote:
I saw him in person when Team USA played at RPI as a tune-up for the WJC. He was a scratch and was walking around and there is no chance he is 5'9. More 5'7.

Kreider however, is every bit the 6'2 they say he is.
I met Bourqe @ the draft party. I am 5'6-1/2" tall and he is a couple of inches taller than me.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote