HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why no Media Praise

Old
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Saint Finnbarr

vCash: 500
Why no Media Praise

The Rangers are playing outstanding exciting hockey and after a win like the 1-0 win over Vancouver. Not much mention in the local media?

Saint Finnbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
jaberma1

uhm

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=40&id=92262

jaberma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:58 PM
jaberma1

the picture

jaberma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya know it's pretty funny. I have XM 204 and listen to "Home Ice" and all the other shows on there and man it's as if they just avoid talking about them as much as possible. (though they did pick Henrik as their "First Star" this morning).

Today I heard them say something aling the lines of "Cup contender Washington Capitals have been surging back, now with 55 points!" Guess who else has 55 points?

But what's really funny is that we have beaten all the teams they love to talk about accept maybe the habs. canucks, pens, caps

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Pizza

When the Rangers actually accomplish something then there will be some attention, if not praise.

Make a deep playoff run at least.

I'd prefer the team stay under the radar as long as possible.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
chip chipperson*

your not going to get much this time of year. the jets are in the playoffs.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
When the Rangers actually accomplish something then there will be some attention, if not praise.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
now that Sidney is injured they just might pick up on the fact that we are doing ok

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea, I agree that we need to stay under the radar for as long as possible.

We don't want to start filling our heads with ludicrous thoughts that may be out of reach this year. With the media not focusing on us we can keep going ahead, working hard, and taking care of business--lurking in the shadows of course.

01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Well with all the media caught up in reporting everything fat ass rex has to say there's not much interest in hockey, also the knicks are playing good basketball and hockey which usually isn't the most overall popular sport in the city has taken the back seat.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Blue Regime

I dont know how the media can possibly spend so much time talking about the NFL as it does. I mean, I like watching the games as much as any casual fan out there, but the seemingly endless babble about "key matchups" and "coaching strategies" is getting to the point where it is not tolerable any longer. How much is there possibly to talk about in a week about one ****** football game?? I know I can "not watch" or "not read", but I can't help it when literally the front page of the sports section in the paper has been about the Jets everyday for the last 3 weeks straight, and every channel I have (basic cable package) constantly talks about football, football, college football, LeBron, and more football. Please tell me I am not the only one who feels this way.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:48 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Its fine with me...when there is less media attention then there are less bandwagon fans. The boys just have to keep doing what they are doing and there will be attention.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
I dont know how the media can possibly spend so much time talking about the NFL as it does. I mean, I like watching the games as much as any casual fan out there, but the seemingly endless babble about "key matchups" and "coaching strategies" is getting to the point where it is not tolerable any longer. How much is there possibly to talk about in a week about one ****** football game?? I know I can "not watch" or "not read", but I can't help it when literally the front page of the sports section in the paper has been about the Jets everyday for the last 3 weeks straight, and every channel I have (basic cable package) constantly talks about football, football, college football, LeBron, and more football. Please tell me I am not the only one who feels this way.
No I am definitely with you on this, that is why I like to casually watch the big football games (like the end of the Jets/Colts game) but I can bear to find a favorite team because so many channels beat the sport to death that I can't even watch the games.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:00 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Finnbarr View Post
The Rangers are playing outstanding exciting hockey and after a win like the 1-0 win over Vancouver. Not much mention in the local media?
Simple answer Jets in the playoff. Hockey has always been the low man on the totem pole so to speak so not surprising but that's ok true hockey fans can see something good happening with this team

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Hockey takes a back seat to everything in NYC, gotta get used to that as a Ranger fan.

It truly means something to be a hockey fan in this City. There's always something tangible there when you meet a fellow NYR fan, unlike any other NY team fan, IMO.

Somewhat in '79, but it took until the 94 conference finals for me to really see the City ablaze with 'Ranger fever'

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Come playoff season, the Rangers will get their deserved attention in proportion to how many people the media think will care. That is to say some, but not nearly as much garnered by any of the other sports in the area.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hockey takes a back seat to everything in NYC, gotta get used to that as a Ranger fan.

It truly means something to be a hockey fan in this City. There's always something tangible there when you meet a fellow NYR fan, unlike any other NY team fan, IMO.

Somewhat in '79, but it took until the 94 conference finals for me to really see the City ablaze with 'Ranger fever'
79 was amazing, back then most of the outer boroughs didn't have cable to if you wanted to see the series against the Isles you had to go to Manhattan...every game the bars were more crowded than the previos game, 94 was unreal, if this team went on a serious run with all the cable coverage it would be over the top crazy

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Completely agree. When I see a guy wearing a David Wright shirt lets say walking down the street, I don't look twice. When I see someone wearing a Dubinsky jersey though, I almost feel the need to strike up a conversation with the person. I feel as Ranger fans, the fanbase is more tight knit then any other fan base in the city.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
PBC9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
You forgot about 'Melo to the Nets/Knicks/ staying in Denver etc. etc. etc. Really makes me sick. Now the Yankees too, getting more news then the Rangers when we are in December and January. City has to show some support for the team to get Hockey back "in" in New York and attract some interest in the youngsters. When I was growing up there used to be multiple ice hockey and roller hockey leagues in New York and now you are hard pressed to find a decently priced ice hockey organization for kids and you basically can't find roller hockey for them anymore neither.

PBC9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
If this team makes the ECF or SCF, trust me we'll have our spot on the back of the post lol.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberma1 View Post
the picture
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic, honestly you couldn't pick a worse day to start this thread.

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

I don't mind not having all the attention football, an baseball get.
I look at it this way,as a ranger fan you have your beat writers,a little column in newsday and the times and a couple good sites online from guys like gross, Brooks, and zipay who tell it like it is and get the good info out, I'd much rather not have espn, sport illustrated and all those other forms of media crawling around the locker room, speculating and such, writing a load of ********* for the fact that they need something people will read into each and every day. I get my info from brooksie, zipay, and gross and obviously everything from here which is fine by me. Football is so overanalyzed I think alot of people would grow to hate hockey media if they did to the sport what they've done to football.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Completely agree. When I see a guy wearing a David Wright shirt lets say walking down the street, I don't look twice. When I see someone wearing a Dubinsky jersey though, I almost feel the need to strike up a conversation with the person. I feel as Ranger fans, the fanbase is more tight knit then any other fan base in the city.
Heck, I feel that way anytime I see someone wearing any hockey apparel. I'm usually taken aback. I saw a guy in my 'hood a few months back wearing a Max Talbot jersey I think. I wanted to simultaneously shake his hand and cross check him.

Sometimes I dream about turning on WFAN or 1050 and hearing the Rangers being discussed and never having to hear words like "Yankees" or "Jets" ever again.

But then I just listen to some of the callers and remember how much better it is that so many of those nitwits aren't Ranger fans.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

Couldnt agree more with you there.

The less they talk about us the better.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If this team makes the ECF or SCF, trust me we'll have our spot on the back of the post lol.
I can only remember two times where we've had the back page (I'm only 15). That would be when Leetch was traded and when we clinched in 06-07 and that said Berth Day. Anyone have a number on how many times we've had the page post-lockout?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote