HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Major Trade; Top Prospect for ??????

Old
01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Versteeg would add alot to the team, He's on pace for career highs in Goals (24), Assists (38), and points (62) all while playing for a crappy team. I think he would excell here.

Anyone know his caphit?

Also, at the cost of JVR i wouldnt do it straight up, Versteeg would have to come with a pick as well. I just can't see JVR putting up anymore then 60-70 a year in his better seasons in this league.

Also, Burke has been quoted as saying he isnt trading Versteeg, a young winger for his rebuild, unless it is for overpayment, it seems backwards for him to deal him.

I think the real concern is a depth player who can play wing and take important draws as well as a bonafide number one upgrade in net. If both can be had without sacrificing the current team then great, if not then a goalie who is playoff tested is what I want. The chance for this team to win a Stanley Cup or multiple is right now, not 3,4,5 years down the road.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
A) Vokoun is as trustworthy as Bouch...granted they can **** the bed every now and again but for the most part they are solid... Why would we get rid of Bouch (bc of one bad game last night?) for a guy who expect 6 mil a year who has 6 goal nights as well. If we are gonna get rid of ppl for a goalie it better somehow be Bryzgalov or Miller

B) Vokoun is getting resigned today according to TSN

that's all folks
Link? I don't see that anywhere.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
cjdv16

As an Isles fan and Flyer observer, one thing I've seen is that if there's a team that this bull **** artist named Eklund is somewhat clued into, it's the Flyers.

May be some truth to it.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
As an Isles fan and Flyer observer, one thing I've seen is that if there's a team that this bull **** artist named Eklund is somewhat clued into, it's the Flyers.

May be some truth to it.
It's a double-edged sword. He's so attached to the Flyers that there just too much noise involving them. He tends to get stuff concerning the Flyers, but he also attaches them to everything it seems like.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Versteeg would add alot to the team, He's on pace for career highs in Goals (24), Assists (38), and points (62) all while playing for a crappy team. I think he would excell here.

Anyone know his caphit?

Also, at the cost of JVR i wouldnt do it straight up, Versteeg would have to come with a pick as well. I just can't see JVR putting up anymore then 60-70 a year in his better seasons in this league.

Also, Burke has been quoted as saying he isnt trading Versteeg, a young winger for his rebuild, unless it is for overpayment, it seems backwards for him to deal him.

I think the real concern is a depth player who can play wing and take important draws as well as a bonafide number one upgrade in net. If both can be had without sacrificing the current team then great, if not then a goalie who is playoff tested is what I want. The chance for this team to win a Stanley Cup or multiple is right now, not 3,4,5 years down the road.
3.083 for next year as well and then he's still RFA. So a pretty decent contract for his production.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's a double-edged sword. He's so attached to the Flyers that there just too much noise involving them. He tends to get stuff concerning the Flyers, but he also attaches them to everything it seems like.
Yeah I'd say about 1 in 5 of his rumors is attached to the Flyers in some way.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah I'd say about 1 in 5 of his rumors is attached to the Flyers in some way.
He seems to throw them in tags even when he doesn't say a word about 'em.

It's an interesting thing... is it a cynical effort to drive hits because Flyer fans are a big portion of that sites hits, or is it simply because that's what he likes to babble about?

Old
01-14-2011, 03:38 PM
BringBackStevens

Zero interest in Versteeg.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Zero interest in Versteeg.
ditto

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I like Versteeg but not at the expense of JVR.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He seems to throw them in tags even when he doesn't say a word about 'em.

It's an interesting thing... is it a cynical effort to drive hits because Flyer fans are a big portion of that sites hits, or is it simply because that's what he likes to babble about?
hes local so i think if he gets stuff alot of it comes from guys with ins at the flyers.

i also think theres a lot more thats floated around behind the scenes then we ever hear about, mostly because it either doesnt make sense for one side or the other but u never know how itll play out. gagne for walker and a 5th sounded like bs eklund to me before it happened

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
hes local so i think if he gets stuff alot of it comes from guys with ins at the flyers.

i also think theres a lot more thats floated around behind the scenes then we ever hear about, mostly because it either doesnt make sense for one side or the other but u never know how itll play out. gagne for walker and a 5th sounded like bs eklund to me before it happened
Oh, absolutely and that's why I'm perfectly content to see what he puts out there. You just need to treat it as it is: a floating rumor and nothing more.

Old
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Florida has such a good team and spends so much money.....NOT Phoenix is way better than Florida dude. Vokoun is the Timonen of goalies. Everyone overlooks and underrates him.

Vokoun is an amazing goalie, as are Bryz and Miller. Every year since the lockout he has posted AT LEAST a .919% save %.(Miller has done that only ONCE, Bryz twice. Vokoun FIVE TIMES!!!!

The biggest thing Bryz and Miller have on Vokoun is age.
Exactly what I would've answered, thanks.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
mypunkrock

Spector hasn't had anything on the Flyers in the past few days.

So I'm not buying this.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Eklund may not be "respected" but the guy is far from stupid.

Think about this:

Eklund spends his life blogging about hockey and makes enough to get by (as far as I can tell).
Technically, his identity is a secret, even though I know he is traveling musician Dwayne Keith Klessel.
He has "insiders" in the Flyers organization and is an almost permanent fixture in the press box, probably for free.
He writes the equivalent of a couple posts on HF a DAY on Hockeybuzz and runs and owns the very profitable hockey website.
His podcasts are him and people he knows talking about hockey.

IDK about you, but BS or not, the guy is living the dream.

All he needs to do is come up with some rumors, throw Habs, Flyers, Leafs in the title and he gets hits. Also make up or hear rumors about a few other teams as well to get hits.

All you need to know is to take his rumors with a grain of salt. He has been surprisingly correct on a lot of his recent stuff, so I assume he does have conversations with the guys running the show.
Eklund the rumor maker is stupid, the actual person who runs the website is not. I know this. It just amazes me people buy into it.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I'm not saying he should, but do you think Homer is trying to get another defenseman? It may sound dumb but I can see him shipping Carle and something like Nodl/picks for someone like Seabrook

01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I like Versteeg but not at the expense of JVR.
Agreed.

On a side note, what is with everyone always badmouthing Eklund? I know he isn't "right" all the time, but he never claims to be. He just reports what he hears. If that means an intern tells him he overheard another intern talking to his brother who said that he heard Holmgren was talking about a trade, fine. He rarely, if ever, says that things are going to happen. He only says he heard that things might go down. Then everyone freaks out on him when the stuff doesn't happen. I don't doubt these talks are going on, I would be willing to bet that most GMs field calls about their top prospects all the time and even make calls and offer top prospects. It's not like only the trades that happen are ever talked about and only trades that are reported by ESPN are the only ones being talked about. GMs kick the tires all the time to see what they can get for certain players and what certain players can be had for. Doesn't mean anything will ever happen, but people talk and Eklund reports.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers shouldn't be trading anything on their roster. It's a damn shame we don't have any blue chippers, because i think this is the year. I still think that we need another winger, either to take nodl off the top line, or to take powe off the third line

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Eklund the rumor maker is stupid, the actual person who runs the website is not. I know this. It just amazes me people buy into it.
People buy into all kinds of things, don't even get me started. Religion, cults, politics, nationalism, scams, cons, good investments, bad investments, drugs, rehab, overeating, ect. Why do people buy into BS is the better question.

I always like to ask "Who benefits from me doing this and me doing that and me believing that?" I think it has helped me avoid all kinds of BS.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

How likely is it that JVR will be moved for a bigger piece?

30%? 50%?

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
How likely is it that JVR will be moved for a bigger piece?

30%? 50%?
More like 3-5%
But who knows what Homer plans to do.

I'd hate it if he would deal JVR for Versteeg.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Agreed.

On a side note, what is with everyone always badmouthing Eklund? I know he isn't "right" all the time, but he never claims to be. He just reports what he hears. If that means an intern tells him he overheard another intern talking to his brother who said that he heard Holmgren was talking about a trade, fine. He rarely, if ever, says that things are going to happen. He only says he heard that things might go down. Then everyone freaks out on him when the stuff doesn't happen. I don't doubt these talks are going on, I would be willing to bet that most GMs field calls about their top prospects all the time and even make calls and offer top prospects. It's not like only the trades that happen are ever talked about and only trades that are reported by ESPN are the only ones being talked about. GMs kick the tires all the time to see what they can get for certain players and what certain players can be had for. Doesn't mean anything will ever happen, but people talk and Eklund reports.
Exactly... I've met Eklund and he is a schmoozer... he knows his hockey and like everybody else he has his opinions and his favorites... He has sources, some high and some very low; some good and some not so good. Also some sources try to use him for their own benefit; he makes no bones about this... He is basically reporting anything he hears as long as it is not harmful, and it is not his job to weed through the ones from decent sources... He can and does however comment on them very often, and at times gives a hint to the strength of the source.

It must be remembered that he has local roots and was and is still a Flyers fan... He has more local sources and his ears are around Flyers poop more than any other Organization's. On average he has more Flyers rumors and info, so it only goes that he would have a higher amount of Flyers related rumors.

And he is in the business and feeds his family with this... so, yes he has to look at the Web hits, and has to aim for as many as he can get... as well as as many sponsors. Demographics is huge for him.

I agree that we must listen... but take everything FWIW and with a grain of salt.

That said, for some odd reason this one has a better ring than most others... I have no idea why... Maybe it is how he stated it; his tone was different.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 01-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Flyersguru

Lehtivuori and Legein both healthy scratches for the Phantoms tonight for no reason tonight.....hmmmm.....

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Lehtivuori and Legein both healthy scratches for the Phantoms tonight for no reason tonight.....hmmmm.....
Legein I believe is not yet healthy after long injury... Please put back that straw you just grasped at.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM
FlyerEra2010

Don't trade JvR please.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote