HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arthur Staples-Rangers are the new Devils

Old
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Arthur Staples-Rangers are the new Devils

Quote:
It was Lamoriello-esque, really. With a couple of exceptions, the Rangers have become what their one-time coach, the quotable Colin Campbell, used to call the Devs during Jersey's heyday: They are pretty much an interchangeable flock of forwards.

There is more talent in certain areas than others. But Tortorella has at least half a dozen guys he could send out as shutdown forwards; he does really only have Marc Staal and Dan Girardi to do that on the back end -- there's no Scott Niedermayer/Brian Rafalski pair to supplement the Scott Stevens/Ken Daneyko duo as the Devils once had. But those Devils were a bit ahead of these Rangers.

This is a young, young group, but how many Ranger fans thought the Mike Sauer/Steve Eminger pair would give up a good scoring chance in the final minutes? Or a mixed and matched forward line with Chris Drury, Artem Anisimov and Derek Stepan?
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...1?showAll=true

Soupy Campbell made the "interchangeable flock of forwards" comment when Jacques I coached the Devils.

The Devils always had their scouting staff and AHL team pouring out talent. The Rangers relied on the older players and barely had a single player capable of coming up and contributing for them. The roles have been reversed. The Devils are the team full of older and expensive players.

John Tortorella today on the Rangers minor league system

Quote:
Tortorella was particularly impressed by a pass that Zuccarello made to Artem Anisimov made to create a scoring chance last night, and in a season that has seen the Rangers bitten hard by the injury bug, the coach gave thanks to the minor league system.

“Each game, (Ryan McDonagh has) been better,” Tortorella said. “The thing I liked about his game last night was he wasn’t timid as far as the neutral zone, as far as his gaps, against a solid hockey club. (Dale Weise has) played, the minutes that he’s gotten, he’s done his job. Zucc is learning the play away from the game – he’s been pretty good there, and has added some offense and forechecking. Last night, he made a great pass to Artie when everyone thought he was gonna shoot. They’ve chipped in and it’s been seamless. A lot of credit goes to the coaching staff and the group down there with our minor league team that when we call these guys up – and there’s been a number this year – they’ve come in and they’ve produced. So that’s good stuff.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-scoring-blues

Lets Go Rangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...1?showAll=true

Soupy Campbell made the "interchangeable flock of forwards" comment when Jacques I coached the Devils.

The Devils always had their scouting staff and AHL team pouring out talent. The Rangers relied on the older players and barely had a single player capable of coming up and contributing for them. The roles have been reversed. The Devils are the team full of older and expensive players.

John Tortorella today on the Rangers minor league system

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-scoring-blues

Lets Go Rangers
His intentions were good and all...But please Mr Staple. Don't ever refer to the NY Rangers as the NJ Devils again.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

What does this make the Debbies...the new Islanders?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What does this make the Debbies...the new Islanders?
They are the 98-04 Rangers. A bunch of old guys past their prime that used to be good.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
bubba5

um, can we win some playoff games first!!!!!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
um, can we win some playoff games first!!!!!
NO! They are the new best team of the decade prior to the lockout. They are the new 3 cup wins, 4 finals appearances, perennial division and conference champions, etc. End of story.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Rangers are the new Devils

Does that mean we have to smell like Joisey?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Sorry but our system is nothing like the Devils was.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
TrollololBoyle

Gym. Tan. Laundry.

<----tan smilie from the shore, yo.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
They are the 98-04 Rangers. A bunch of old guys past their prime that used to be good.
But unlike those NYR squads, at least the Devs have some good prospects.

Lou Lams could not adjust, and like the Rangers of those years he held onto Vets way too long to get another shot at a title run. But with his team and their record could ya blame them?

Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
chip chipperson*

when parise comes back all they really need to do is either fix their d or get a starting goalie. then they can bounce back and become an average team imo. they arent as far away as the rangers were from 98 to 04

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
when parise comes back all they really need to do is either fix their d or get a starting goalie. then they can bounce back and become an average team imo. they arent as far away as the rangers were from 98 to 04
Fixing the D is no small task, as we Ranger fans know. Will be interesting to see how the Parise contract talks go.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
agreed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers play a high tempo forechecking system. The Devils trapped you to death. I understand the overall logic, but even still. I don't believe the Devils were ever as young as the Rangers are now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Let's win like seven division titles and three Cups in the next 15 years first.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Rangers play a high tempo forechecking system. The Devils trapped you to death. I understand the overall logic, but even still. I don't believe the Devils were ever as young as the Rangers are now.
We have about 14 regulars under 26, that is amazing for any Ranger team.

8 Devs regulars were 26 or under when they took us to 7 game ECF in 1994. Then the next year they won the Cup with 8 regulars under 26 as well. In 2000 they had 10 regulars under 26 and won the Cup.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
We've had mixed success with free agent signings but it's pretty funny that the ONE offseason that the Devils sign some big free agents... An idea completely foreign to that organization... DISASTER.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
darko

When I saw 'Rangers are new Devils' title for a second I thought it might be about trap.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
When I saw 'Rangers are new Devils' title for a second I thought it might be about trap.
That's what I thought at first too. It's sad that so many think that a team that forechecks as much as the Rangers do are a trapping team simply because they backcheck hard and play well in their own zone.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I'm actually fairly worried about this. Been thinking about it myself even before seeing this that we're the Devils in that in grinding it out every single day, playing playoff hockey everyday, it might wear us down and hurt our chances at a long playoff run. The Devils did win a cup, but that period was more characterized by strong regular seasons coupled with disappointing early exits in the playoffs.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I'm actually fairly worried about this. Been thinking about it myself even before seeing this that we're the Devils in that in grinding it out every single day, playing playoff hockey everyday, it might wear us down and hurt our chances at a long playoff run. The Devils did win a cup, but that period was more characterized by strong regular seasons coupled with disappointing early exits in the playoffs.
It's hurting us already. Look at our IR

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't see how making such a comparison should be taken as a positive when the league has changed so drastically.

It's a lot easier to win with an interchangeable flock of forwards when talent, skill, offense and creativity are stifled as much as they were in the late 90s-early 2000s, when defense and goaltending were the path toward the top.

The rules have changed and the path has changed.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote