HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stubbs: ''I won't be the same Andrei Markov...I'll be better''

Old
01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
But theres a problem too, will he want to sign for less?? If in his mind its clear that he will become "better" then I think that means he necessarily wants more...
by less I mean 5-5.5. Not by much. He shouldn't get a raise.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
With the forward depth we have in Hamilton and the flexibility it gives our forwards salary-wise, I'd be willing to add some of that $5m to our defense, bring in a guy like Regehr or Phillips and buy out Spacek. Spacek can be bought out for 2/3s + Regehr at under $3m or Phillips at $4m and you're only adding a couple million over Spacek's current salary. We need to go younger.

Markov, Wisniewski, Gorges, Subban, Regehr/Phillips, Weber and Gill which we could do for about $20m. That's a top 5 D core.
Regehr is already under contract for next year at 4 millon, even if he was a ufa no way he gets under 4 million. Philips at 3 might happen but I doubt it. Players always get more on the open market.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
neofury*

I'm sure everyone does want Markov back, they just worry that He'll be Markov 0.5 beta edition and not Markov 1.33.7 leet sauce edition!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

There are a lot of moving parts on defense, other than these guys...

Subban...should be top 4, preferably as #3-4 next year
Gorges...RFA should be #4-5 and get a nice raise to 2.5-2.8 mil per year
Weber...should be in the battle for #6 spot with 1-2 others, hope he sticks and we develop him properly

Moving parts:
Markov-injured and UFA, the biggest decision of the summer for PG, worst case they try and re sign him cheap or short term so as not to lose a big asset
Hamrlik-UFA, ideally would make a nice #4-5 jack of all trades for around 3 mil but Spacek is taking that spot and cap room
Gill-UFA, I would prefer to let him walk and keep Hamrlik and Markov, unless he is the #6-7 guy to battle Weber for the last spot
Spacek-1 year left at 3.8, ideally we move him, buyout would cost 1.3 next 2 years, I would like Hamrlik at his salary in his current role
Wisniewski-ideally I want him back at a decent salary 3-3.5 per year not too long 2-3 years. Fits in to my younger/more mobile defense as #3-4.
Picard-not a big fan, was ok with him as #7-8 guy, ok when he doesn't play too much

In order not to end up in cap hell, I would prefer not to completely overhaul the defense via UFA because it's quite risky(the guys you ewant get re-signed or want to go elswhere) and expensive(UFA's usually cost up to 1 mil more per year). I would be ok with going after 1 guy(Pitkanen or Kaberle) if we can be reasonably certain taht they will hit UFA and be interested and not cost 6 mil(either one at 4.5-5 mil I would be ok with).

I think we can insulate ourselves from a Markov injury with something like this...

Markov(5 mil)-Wiz(3.5)
Pitkanen(5 mil)/Phillips(3.75 mil)/Kaberle(4.75 mil)-Subban(1 mil)
Gorges(2.7 mil)-Hamrlik(3 mil)
Weber(1 mil) Picard/Montador/Nash/Eminger or UFA bargain in August(1-1.5 mil)

Last edited by Monctonscout: 01-14-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Regehr is already under contract for next year at 4 millon, even if he was a ufa no way he gets under 4 million. Philips at 3 might happen but I doubt it. Players always get more on the open market.
We'd be better off overpaying a bit for Phillips and hoping he goes back to his old self than giving up a 1st and top prospect(LeBlanc or Eller) to pry Regehr out of Calgary.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
He's working on a new contract. What's he gonna say......."me Markov be back but not as good as before - smaller contract please".

Honestly I'll believe it when I see it but he's made of glass lately. What's worse - all teams now know it.
he could of not chose to say anything?

we need markov.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I bet "The Canadien" in Stan Lee's Guardian Project is just Andrei Markov with a cape

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There are a lot of moving parts on defense, other than these guys...

Subban...should be top 4, preferably as #3-4 next year
Gorges...RFA should be #4-5 and get a nice raise to 2.5-2.8 mil per year
Weber...should be in the battle for #6 spot with 1-2 others, hope he sticks and we develop him properly

Moving parts:
Markov-injured and UFA, the biggest decision of the summer for PG, worst case they try and re sign him cheap or short term so as not to lose a big asset
Hamrlik-UFA, ideally would make a nice #4-5 jack of all trades for around 3 mil but Spacek is taking that spot and cap room
Gill-UFA, I would prefer to let him walk and keep Hamrlik and Markov, unless he is the #6-7 guy to battle Weber for the last spot
Spacek-1 year left at 3.8, ideally we move him, buyout would cost 1.3 next 2 years, I would like Hamrlik at his salary in his current role
Wisniewski-ideally I want him back at a decent salary 3-3.5 per year not too long 2-3 years. Fits in to my younger/more mobile defense as #3-4.
Picard-not a big fan, was ok with him as #7-8 guy, ok when he doesn't play too much

In order not to end up in cap hell, I would prefer not to completely overhaul the defense via UFA because it's quite risky(the guys you ewant get re-signed or want to go elswhere) and expensive(UFA's usually cost up to 1 mil more per year). I would be ok with going after 1 guy(Pitkanen or Kaberle) if we can be reasonably certain taht they will hit UFA and be interested and not cost 6 mil(either one at 4.5-5 mil I would be ok with).

I think we can insulate ourselves from a Markov injury with something like this...

Markov(5 mil)-Wiz(3.5)
Pitkanen(5 mil)/Phillips(3.75 mil)/Kaberle(4.75 mil)-Subban(1 mil)
Gorges(2.7 mil)-Hamrlik(3 mil)
Weber(1 mil) Picard/Montador/Nash/Eminger or UFA bargain in August(1-1.5 mil)
Subban says 'sup?'

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
For this team to even have a small chance at the holy grail, they need to hit the homerun.

Getting Markov back at perhaps a good money value might just be a great deal. What damage can really be done over the next 3 years really with Gomez and his cap hit?

A top pairing defenseman at 7M$ for the next 3 years is not affordable for the habs because of Gomez cap hit imo and you arent going to the Cup without one. Markov is a top pairing defenseman and perhaps the only one who could be available under 5.75M for the habs.

Go for it. 3 years for Markov, same lenght as Gomez. Then that will be the appropriate moment to cut ties with Markov if the injuries bug stay because the money will be there to replace him appropriately (if needed)

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
the chance that he gets injured again is too high. And he will be 33 next year in dec. Sure me too i want Markov...but is he usefull to us now?? no.
How do you figure that? Yes he has had a bunch of injuries, but if he can properly re-hab the injury, and to finally have a knee properly re-habed changes everything. The worst would be the freak accident like with Eric Staal, but that can really happen to any of our players.

He's too good of a player to give up on. I say weigh our options, but I wouldn't approach negotiations with him thinking he's done.

I'm not too worried actually, I do think Montreal wants him, and he wants to be here. I think he will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Subban says 'sup?'
He's in there, his name is next to 2 good UFAs, I only assume he gets a spot somewhere else if not there.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 01-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.
CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
JimmyDarmody

Sign him for 1 year at 5 million. Take our chances with that.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I really hope he retires as a Hab. He only needs five ~45 point seasons to catch Guy Lapointe as the second highest scoring D in team history. He just turned 32 so it's very doable.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM
holyhabs87

Sign Him ASAP!!!

He is our best player..Price and Plekanec might have something to say about it but still..I would rather take a risk on him than our little Smurf brigade...an elite mobile dman that can dominate in both ends is something all championship teams need...we need The General!

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I'd sign him just so he can retire in bleu, blanc et rouge. If he plays well, that's a bonus.

Yea, I'd probably make a bad GM that way...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
SB164

If they're gonna sign Markov, they need to get a physical D-man a la Komisarek circa 07-08.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
GordonGraham

typical words for guy looking a for one last big money contract

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
macavoy

I don't understand why people are against signing him long term. If he tears his ACL again in 2 or 3 years, he goes on the IR and we can spend the money elsewhere.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I admire Markov's positive attitude but I'm very skeptical about the potential of seeing him back to his old self, let alone be better. He wasn't the shadow of himself this season before getting hurt.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Sign him for 5 years 5 million a year.

If not to help us then to prevent other teams from acquiring him and beating us.

It would crush me to see Markov in another jersey.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
FF de Mars

Markov has been my favourite player on the Habs since I was a teenager and he was a prospect. I still remember how hyped up he was on HF, and all the discussions we had about him, and the haters, too. I really hope we sign him long time. Imagine yourself as a GM in the free agency. Markov is the best PP QB in the NHL and he can play amazing at even strenght. Just think about Gonchar got, three years 5+M, and he's basically a canon and that's all. Markov will get a high paid long term contract. I hope it's from Gauthier. If it were me, I'd sign him to a 10 years contract to 60M or something. I'm not really good with numbers, but really, give him a fair long term contract !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
If they're gonna sign Markov, they need to get a physical D-man a la Komisarek circa 07-08.
Tinordi seems to fit the bill.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 01-14-2011 at 07:07 PM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
If it were me, I'd sign him to a 10 years contract to 60M or something. I'm not really good with numbers, but really, give him a fair long term contract !
Tell me about it. LOL @ giving him a 60m contract. Thats worse than the Kovalchuk contract.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Wiz looks fine with 3 surgeries on the same knee. I don't see why everyone is throwing a hissy fit.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Tell me about it. LOL @ giving him a 60m contract. Thats worse than the Kovalchuk contract.
Still, with Lidstrom retiring, Markov is the best PP QB in the NHL to me. 50M to 60M for 10 years would seem adequate. Give him security. He must be freaking out with those two subsenquent injuries. Tom Brady came back. Andrei Markov will come back. Make it easy for him, rather than mentally hard.

Old
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Markov has been my favourite player on the Habs since I was a teenager and he was a prospect. I still remember how hyped up he was on HF, and all the discussions we had about him, and the haters, too. I really hope we sign him long time. Imagine yourself as a GM in the free agency. Markov is the best PP QB in the NHL and he can play amazing at even strenght. Just think about Gonchar got, three years 5+M, and he's basically a canon and that's all. Markov will get a high paid long term contract. I hope it's from Gauthier. If it were me, I'd sign him to a 10 years contract to 60M or something. I'm not really good with numbers, but really, give him a fair long term contract !

Tinordi seems to fit the bill.
Best PP QB in the NHL? Really?

And Tinordi is at least 4 years away from being an NHL player.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Best PP QB in the NHL? Really?

And Tinordi is at least 4 years away from being an NHL player.
Come on. It's hard to say who's the best, he's def top 5 PP QB; stats prove it. And come on, about Tinordi, 4 years is an exageration.