HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Padres exec to fill Diller's spot

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

vCash: 500
Predators hire Padres exec to fill Diller's spot

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/50629003

Old
06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
PredFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
As I posted on the other thread where we were kinda discussing the Diller move...
This guy has a hockey background with Pittsburgh and Ottawa before he went to the Padres. He's been in a similar "market" with these teams. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

Old
06-29-2005, 09:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

No offense but didn't they both struggle financially?

Old
06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
No offense but didn't they both struggle financially?
A lot of market's struggle financially and a lot of it has to do with the market itself and not the team. Teams just have to 'get by' and make the best of the situation. Maybe in hiring Violetta, we are expecting hard times and we want someone who has seen it before and handled it well. Nashville will never be the 'perfect' market. There will likely always be major competition for disposable income and limited population from which to draw on, similar to Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.

Old
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

good point.

Old
06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
SmokeyClause

There's a first time for everything, right?

Old
06-30-2005, 12:00 AM
PredFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
A lot of market's struggle financially and a lot of it has to do with the market itself and not the team. Teams just have to 'get by' and make the best of the situation. Maybe in hiring Violetta, we are expecting hard times and we want someone who has seen it before and handled it well. Nashville will never be the 'perfect' market. There will likely always be major competition for disposable income and limited population from which to draw on, similar to Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.

Sorry I wasn't more specific Trig, Smokey said what I was inferring.

Old
06-30-2005, 10:33 AM
SmokeyClause

I'm very pleased with what Violetta has said so far in this morning's Tennessean.

Quote:
From the Tennessean:

"You get one shot to get it right," Violetta said of potentially lowering ticket prices. "So we're going to be careful about it, deliberate about it and make sure it makes sense on a lot of levels.

"We really want to regionalize the marketing reach here. I think there are some satellite markets Murfreesboro to a certain extent, but more like Clarksville and some other places like that where we can do a better job of getting in there, being part of the community and, frankly, selling some tickets while we're at it.

"Historically there's been a challenge here to sell season tickets to the corporate community," Violetta said. "What we have to do is convince the corporate community that we're not a charity looking for a handout.

"We need to build the case with the corporate community that these tickets are an investment, good for their business. The onus is on us to prove to the business community that their investment is worth it."
Violetta joining Preds

Old
06-30-2005, 10:45 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

This guy sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, and will be more proactive in attaining support than Diller ever was. I'm impressed with what I've read.

Old
06-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

The City Paper's story on Violetta

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=42557

Old
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
tulsytrid1

He seems to be experineced in this kind of market. He states his #1 job is to bring fans back into the GEC...I agree. My question is how hard do you think that part of his job will be. Do you think we sell out our first game? What do you think the average attendance will be in the first couple of months. I think we do sell out our first game as long as it is on a Fri or Sat night. I think it will be a rough first few months.... kind along the same lines as the 03-04 season. If the Titans suck butt this season, we could see better numbers as far as attendance in Dec/Jan. I think as long as the team is competitive that we will get back some of the buzz from the playoffs from a few years ago. Signing a relatively big name (Foote, Demetria) will help bring some of the fans that left because the Preds were "cheap". I do think the Preds can get back to where we were, but the team must win. We have a bad start like we did a few years ago and it will be a long season for Violetta.

Old
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
He seems to be experineced in this kind of market. He states his #1 job is to bring fans back into the GEC...I agree. My question is how hard do you think that part of his job will be. Do you think we sell out our first game? What do you think the average attendance will be in the first couple of months. I think we do sell out our first game as long as it is on a Fri or Sat night. I think it will be a rough first few months.... kind along the same lines as the 03-04 season. If the Titans suck butt this season, we could see better numbers as far as attendance in Dec/Jan. I think as long as the team is competitive that we will get back some of the buzz from the playoffs from a few years ago. Signing a relatively big name (Foote, Demetria) will help bring some of the fans that left because the Preds were "cheap". I do think the Preds can get back to where we were, but the team must win. We have a bad start like we did a few years ago and it will be a long season for Violetta.
it should be alot easier with the Titans sucking balls again this year and probably at least a year after this as well ... like Smokey and NMK have said, Nashville is a fickle town when it comes to sports, you win, they come, you don't they stay away ... anybody else ready for 4 games in 5 nights? ... b/c I sure am ready to see half @$$ed efforts for 2 of those games ... effing Olympics

Old
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
SmokeyClause

Good question Tulsytrid1, I think it all depends on our activities within the free agent market/draft. We are going to attempt to create a lot of buzz with lowering ticket prices and a bunch of other incentives to watch. But if we don't follow it up by making some sort of splash out there, that buzz is going to die down. On another thread, the possibility of landing Arnott or Allison was mentioned. Things like that could help continue the excitement generated by our marketing campaigns. If the major media around town feels that we will be a legit contender in the Central (we could very easily be favorites when the season starts), they are going to write about it.

Old
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
like Smokey and NMK have said, Nashville is a fickle town when it comes to sports, you win, they come, you don't they stay away
I'll say this about Nashville. I don't see it as any different than many other markets out there. To truly have diehard fans, you really need to have had success 10-40 years back. Something for most of the fans to fall back on in hard times. We've never had that in Nashville because we've never had a team for that long. I think a lot of the diehard markets in football can be found in markets that were successful in the 60-80's. You build up a level of loyalty that remains even through the lean years. You see it in Pittsburgh and Dallas to this day.

To truly change the fickle nature of a city, you have to become that city's TEAM and remain that way for about a decade. If you do that and have success, then you can ride that success for years provided you throw them a bone or two along the way. The city of Pittsburgh, for example, is not all that different from Nashville in the size, demographics, and overall type of people. But they will live and die with the Steelers because when they were young, the Steelers were in the midst of the Steel Curtain era. Even the younger generation remembers that era because there parents are always talking about it. Now, Pittsburgh has been to only one Super Bowl since 1980. And they have been sporadically successful over that span. But they are able to experience a drought only a few teams in the NFL have experienced and come out standing because of what they developed during the 70's.

The good news is that the Preds can be potentially be very successful and fans will come in the midst of that success. That bad news is that I doubt they will ever become a part of Nashville like the Steelers did with Pittsburgh. So even if we run off a Nasty decade where we are always Cup contenders and win it a few times, I'm not sure it'll grab the community enough to hold us through the lean years that will inevitably follow any franchise.

Old
07-01-2005, 03:59 PM
PredFred

I also find if very intriguing that they mention the fact that Violetta was extremely integral in negotiating the naming rights deal on the new San Diego baseball stadium. This could be one of the more important reasons that they have bought him in since Gaylord has bailed.

Old
07-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If he can get the buisnesses back into the GEC, we are in buisness.